「Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025」15th January Tokyo Garden Theater (NO KAJIURA INVOLVEMENT)

Satoshi Takebe reaction.
(Thanks @Kugayama))

According to @yuki.n he says we should respect artists (i.e Kalafina girls) and not turn against them, but when someone asked him 'what about Kajiura isnt she an artist too?' he said that he didnt know they didnt tell her anything and he just accepted the job he was offered....:...:

https://x.com/takabou_gk/status/1842425851780255942

Screenshot_20241006_150037_com.discord.jpg

My guess is he probably knew as he also had a confidentiallity agreement just like the girls but chose to not care.

Last edited:
3. I personally (and strongly) feel that Wakana's decision to not follow Kajiura (though she had every right to) was part of the reason she stayed back - apart from her solo career I feel she broke personally with Kajiura. Spacecraft couldn't have forced her to keep silent from speaking to the Kalafina/FJ girls all these years. She personally made that decision (again, I speculate, but I suspect).
This is an old topic. But Yuuka belongs to Spacecraft and she could perform with Kajiura in 2019... And then, Yuriko goes into Wakana lives but she hides it.
Maybe Spacecraft isn't that evil... Could it be that Kajiura is the queen bee?

Those blog posts confirm friction between Kajiura and Wakana but I think that never is clear why. Or yes?

If this concert is only a one off thing then imo Kajiura truly blew it out of proportion.
That's how I'm seeing all this news.
Just 1 concert with the old 3 girls and the old songs. No new songs. It's like one of the last lives, again. And it's ok, I'm happy for them if this is just one day.
I don't know why people are saying that Kalafina is going to resume the activities because I didn't read that in the official announcement.

Kalafina is not Kalafina without Kajiura but hey, Kalafina is not Kalafina without Wakana (that's why Kajiura does "covers" in YKL).

People have urged Kajiura to legally ban them from singing old Kalafina songs since she owns the copyright to them but she said that they can keep singing them. An excellent move that paints her like a saint against Spacecraft the demon. Like if I were in her position I too would act like this because this thing already happened, she knows that she can't truly satisfy the Kalafina fans that aren't her fans, and it's also easy money for her.
Hmmm... Like those blog posts say (to take with a grain of salt), the owners of the songs could be Yuki Kajiura, Spacecraft and the anime/documentary show. It's pretty coherent.

My guess is he probably knew as he also had a confidentiallity agreement just like this girls but chose to not care.
+1!
If someone offers* to me to be the producer of a Kalafina live or a new era, I would say "And where's Yuki Kajiura?".
*spoiler: he's the germ of the idea.

That's how I'm seeing all this news.
Just 1 concert with the old 3 girls and the old songs. No new songs. It's like one of the last lives, again. And it's ok, I'm happy for them if this is just one day.
I don't know why people are saying that Kalafina is going to resume the activities because I didn't read that in the official announcement.

Kalafina is not Kalafina without Kajiura but hey, Kalafina is not Kalafina without Wakana (that's why Kajiura does "covers" in YKL).

Hmmm... Like those blog posts say (to take with a grain of salt), the owners of the songs could be Yuki Kajiura, Spacecraft and the anime/documentary show. It's pretty coherent.
Idk how copyright law works in any country but generally speaking the first owner of the copyright is the creator. In this case, it's Kajiura. If anyone wants to perform/use her songs in any commercial capacity, they need to ask for permission from Kajiura and they need to pay the copyright fee. Kajiura has the performance right to ban anyone from performing her songs in any commercial capacity because it's her songs. She can ban Kalafina from singing her/their old songs if she wants to. Spacecraft and/or Sony should only have the distribution rights, so they should only be paid the copyright fee if the performance is recorded and is going to be released to general public in media like TV/DVD/BD/CD. This is why they don't release plenty of YKLs as home media, because the distribution rights are owned by different companies in which Kajiura released her soundtracks/albums, but she can freely choose from any songs in her discography to perform at her concerts.

Last edited:
anyway i just read the blog everyone's been talking about and if what this blog is saying is true them ngl i might have to agree with spacecraft regarding them demoting mori yasunori from Kalafina's general producer for their live performances. Kalafina's stage production went through a good overhaul starting in Arena Live 2016 meanwhile YKL stage production still sux until now. i had a lot to say regarding the stage production in YKL20 lmao. man is insanely greedy, selfish, and overcontrolling if he decided to resign from spacecraft after he got demoted for the group's betterment. a lot of things in this blog is not completely believable btw

Last edited:
I still find Kajiura's responses perfectly amicable and professional in all of this.

Demon may be Spacecraft but it's not Kajiura lol. She is the queen bee in a way - that is, she is the artistic mastermind of the whole affair of Kalafina (and her osts).

Satoshi Takebe's reaction is so funny. Everyone is saying I dunno....

You know, all of this may be stimulating for Kajiura. That opera with Yuri, Eri, Joelle? That western-themed or another space opera-themed video game ost?

In fact it may make Kajiura look for new vocals herself. Just not LL or aimer etc. please. someone with classical/jazz singing background preferably.
From the beginning Kajiura was working with the best/most appropriate vocalists available under Spacecraft as the parent company. I don't think any of her guest vocalists were under SC, except Yuuka Nanri. I think Kajiura worked with what she had and brought in Hikaru and Maya as well.
we really have to take Kajiura's word on this, true she may be lying
I've thought about the possibility that she was somewhat aware of the coming collaboration but was against it, and doing some PR to get fans on her side. But if she was aware, wouldn't that involve her being mentioned in the announcement? Nothing is impossible to consider, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt as far as I can.
because of the uniqueness and quality of their music and not because they like to see and hear H/K/W "sing on stage and be happy"
It's good that more people are appreciating that Kalafina was not created just by the ladies on stage.
but Wakana went with the latter, completely discarding her old voice and Kajiura didn't seem to say anything.
Just my thinking, but I would imagine what Kajiura was probably asking Wakana to improve on was her presence and vocal strength for being a lead singer. I notice that Wakana's singing (the first time I heard it ever Kalafina 10th anniversary as I'm always repeating 😅) had this strident dense energy to it, which by that point had probably affected her nascent natural development of dynamics (messa di voce), which required training to achieve (which I suspect she didn't have).
Wakana's inability to deliver high quality live vocals didn't even deter her from keep making Wakana as the main vocal in plenty of her songs, both in Kalafina and FictionJunction.
Kajiura definitely loved Wakana's timbre and imagined the music and arrangements of many of the songs with her voice. I have said before that Wakana never achieved the final form of her voice due to lack of training. If Wakana had gotten actually operatic (not just classical) training similar to a Kasahara she would have achieved her goal of singing operatically and unlocked her full vocal potential. I still feel that Hanae's head voice quality/skill is something that, if Wakana had, would have elevated her greatly as a singer. It is truly that repeated haunting head voice melody refrain from Hanae's that is the soul of "Oblivious", if you think about it. Remove that (or use Yuriko's voice, for example) and you lose the fantasy feel. Both Wakana and Hikaru's takes were enveloped in Hanae's ever-present voice, that's why I saw Hanae's head voice on Wakana's mournful voice would have been a perfect match.
If she really did that and if Wakana really felt that pressure of never really being able to live up to her standard, then no wonder Wakana left her (Kajiura)
It seems that Kajiura dealt with her singers as professionals to deliver her vision. Wakana just lacked sufficient training to do this (and over-sang due to the Kalafina schedule). I am assuming Wakana tried to change her voice be herself, probably not having the vocal support (coach) to work out the plan of strengthening her voice healthily. She just decided to force it and sing more stridently, not having the breath/vocal coordination of a Kaori for example (notice that Kaori rarely breathes heavily or raises her shoulder while singing phrases).
harmony unique to Kalafina also equally means that it depends on Wakana as the melody lmao
I guess it also depends on Keiko as the low harmony. So that doesn't say much.
This idea of "only Wakana can sing her part" is I was against the negative reactions to Joelle singing Wakana's part in FJ. And people being willing to accept a lesser singer like LINO LEIA singing Wakana's part instead of Joelle makes me have no sympathy for that position. Maybe it's nasality they're interested in, who knows!
she can't truly satisfy the Kalafina fans that aren't her fans, and it's also easy money for her.
Well, it's obvious there's a split in the fanbase due to the success of Kalafina and since Kajiura was never directly associated with them on stage for their entire career. So there might be Kalafina fans who never knew Kajiura was their producer if they weren't going deep into their lore.
If she'd been on stage it would be a whole different matter
Wakana went from being a part of her OST vocalists like Yuriko, Hanae and Eri to only covering them in FJ lives.
Well, Wakana really only sang how many songs as an OST vocalist - one? How about Kaori - a couple, same with Keiko? And their voices didn't change or deteriorate in that time. In fact, Kaori was like a young prospect when Kajiura picked her up. I don't think that was specific to Wakana.
Maybe Spacecraft isn't that evil... Could it be that Kajiura is the queen bee?
This would mean that Kajiura singled out and edged Wakana out maliciously, after having used up her voice to build her music, and that Kajiura has been manipulating everyone by creating a perception of being a victim, and that everyone just played along with the perception - including SC, and Wakana, without correcting it? It would mean Yuriko and Kaori and the others all know, and are being silent or just going along? And just maybe Kajiura also edged out Maya back in the day, right?

I mean, anything's possible. I just don't think everyone would have continued to work with her through all the years if she had that vibe over all that time. I mean, the musicians, all the old guest artists (Yuuka, Hanae, etc.), agencies, the new guest artists (Aimer, etc.). Chiaki? Word would have gotten around about Kajiura being mean if that was the case. Or what do you think?

And all the people that left SC after Kajiura too? There seemed to be a trend there of dissatisfaction with the way SC was running things.

Last edited:
I mean sure... Kajiura may be like that guy who was capitalizing on his protegees in Persona 5 and there is a heart to steal. We'll have to wait and see. It looks like the deadline is January 15, 2025.

I think of Kajiura as a tough director and producer and Wakana this kind sensitive soul who pushed too hard and now her voice is somewhat ruined. I am glad Wakana left and found her own space; that hardly means Kajiura is evil/mean etc.

Last edited:
Just look at the facts: all the girls have banned Wakana from their public lifes.
Again, Yuriko (free from spacecraft) attended to that Wakana live but no mention happened. Why?

I remember reading that a lot of other artists left Spacecraft around the time Kajiura walked out, so I'm inclined to say Spacecraft management is indeed the problem.

As for Kajiura's relationship with the girls, well they're all adults and have the capacity to make their own decisions. If Wakana wanted to leave Kalafina, she could have done so like Maya.

@CloisteredFlame like I've said plenty of times before, Japanese fans have easier time accepting Leia's vocals because she sings the way mainstream Japanese singers sing, and ngl her natural tone when she doesn't go incredibly nasal is actually quite pretty. Joelle's voice has this weird quality (this is just my personal opinion btw) of sounding very young and very old at the same time and it's not the best match for Kajiura's Japanese songs. She leans heavier and chestier when she sings in English and that's when she shines. I think even Kajiura knows/feels this because she gave most of Wakana's lines in FJ songs to Kaori, and even until now she rarely gave Joelle a lot of melody parts in her Japanese songs. Kajiura had her covering Wakana's parts in YKL because she has the range and Kaori has already become the voice of FictionJunction. She tested the wave with the audiences, and most of the audiences didn't like it.

Both of them doesn't have the same sadness/mournful quality to their voices like Wakana but I think for Japanese people who don't know how to properly sing, Leia's voice is easier to get in the ears. Leia's covering Wakana's parts also didn't come without criticism, a lot of people don't like her as well but the comments I've seen never really as severe as when Joelle did it because (idk why people thought this) Leia's timbre is somehow closer to Wakana's than Joelle's is to Wakana's.

I singled out harmony unique to Kalafina as depending on Wakana as the melody because Keiko for most of the time blends well with everyone. But I have to say that the combination of Wakana and Keiko was truly a match made in heaven that's really hard to replicate. The addition of Hikaru that used to have such contrasting tone made Kalafina able to sing variety of songs, so in a way that's the harmony unique to Kalafina. Too bad things got lost along the way.

Last edited:
he is the queen bee in a way - that is, she is the artistic mastermind of the whole affair of Kalafina (and her osts).
I totally agree with that. It was Kajiura's heart and mind and view of the song/world that we heard in Kalafina. I guess we get to hear a comparison/"composer cover" view of those old songs. Kajiura wil be "covered" as well in trying to replicate her vibe by the instrumentalists/musical direction...
You know, all of this may be stimulating for Kajiura. That opera with Yuri, Eri, Joelle? That western-themed or another space opera-themed video game ost?
Maybe she can just go deeper musically and use her heavyweight vocalists more directly, instead of depending too much on Kalafina's music to draw fans. I mean, we were talking not long ago with @grunty schooling me that Hanae would ne excellent to sing lead Wakana's part in Oblivious (which I've actually warmed up to a bit more), but who knows what the mighty fans would say (even knowing that it's a COVER)! "She's too solemn and not exciting like Wakana - give us LINO LEIA!" (I don't hate LINO, I've supported her on this forum. She's just in the crosshairs, indirectly).
Joelle's voice has this weird quality (this is just my personal opinion btw) of sounding very young and very old at the same time
She's able to vary her vocal tone and colors by changing her resonance placement, and also stylistic changes frequently. I think it's an expressive palette she has that the J-audience who complain may not be board with, at least in comparison to Wakana's mostly straight singing.

Wakana on the other hand often sang forward and sweet and had a strangely forward but mournful voice. She also sang with much less dynamic variation (messa di voce) and tended to sound the same continuously, only sounding tonally different when she sang quite low (getting breathy), or did falsetto/head voice (much less stable). She did use the cry effect for emotional expression, which laid on her mournful core must make people weep at her singing (LOL).
she leans heavier and chestier when she sings in English and that's when she shines.
Well, watching videos of one Japanese guy on YT that interviews half-Japanese ladies in Tokyo (which Joelle actually is, anyway), I've heard it commented on his videos that the same person speaking in Japanese would have a higher more forward tone with Japanese mannerisms, and speaking in English (or other European language) would have a chestier, more grounded speaking tone.

I just watched "my long forgotten cloistered sleep" from YKL 20, and I didn't get the idea of Joelle singing "heavier and chestier" since the song is a high-range song in the 4th and 5th octaves (C4-E5 it seems) so there's more use of lighter chest-mix and head voice. It doesn't seem like anyone should have a problem with Joelle's take, since the song's range means it's placed higher/potentially brighter by default. In fact, Joelle's voice sounds similarly placed to Wakana's on the first syllable, "In" and also on "was" on the first line.
"fiction", on the other hand, was placed lower and more in Joelle's chest range. (I wonder how Wakana's voice would sound singing that song...). So, of course, Joelle took it more darker for impact/effect. I think that more closely fits the "chestier" description you gave.

I mean, for comparison, Eri does not sing poppy. She has a full voice and no one complains about her Japanese singing, though her voice is more forward placed and brighter than Joelle's. I have a feeling those J-fans that don't like Joelle wouldn't like a singer like MIKI MASUDA either, since she's more jazz/rock influenced, though not English speaking, and she also does some stylistic/resonance movement in her singing.

I would imagine the Indian language also has that higher speaking style and definitely even more forward than Japanese pop singing, so they probably also have preferences for their vocalists and non-Indian/half-Indians would also struggle to sing if they didn't adopt the Indian popular style. That's even a deeper subject because of all the centuries of Indian musical heritage and function.
But I have to say that the combination of Wakana and Keiko was truly a match made in heaven that's really hard to replicate.
I do agree that it was something special, though many fans tended to diminish Keiko's role always just praising Wakana, and some even said Keiko is nothing without her, or something to that effect, which I always challenges.

Evidence of this is that in Wakana's solo lives, the Kalafina songs sounded weak and flat dynamically without Keiko's voice, not just harmonically, but tonally with the instrumentation. The true test of this "perfect harmony" would be to have them sing their popular songs acappella.

The massive foundation and pillar of the music as written and performed by the FBM is also often taken for granted. We heard this when Keiko did her solo live with other musicians and needed to bring in Konno Hitoshi to play violin on one of her solo songs that didn't include a violin before, just because the musicians/arrangement was not of a sufficiently high standard to give the desired live effect.

Kajiura's musicians are top-notch too! The FBM is a high-level unit with their own common language in playing together for so long.

I mean, we were talking not long ago with @grunty schooling me that Hanae would ne excellent to sing lead Wakana's part in Oblivious (which I've actually warmed up to a bit more), but who knows what the mighty fans would say (even knowing that it's a COVER)!
I said that's who I want to hear singing "oblivious" because it's magical and ethereal in my head. And I will stand by that until proven wrong. XD

Well, Wakana really only sang how many songs as an OST vocalist - one? How about Kaori - a couple, same with Keiko? And their voices didn't change or deteriorate in that time. In fact, Kaori was like a young prospect when Kajiura picked her up. I don't think that was specific to Wakana.
The same as the other sopranos on the OSTs (I counted). 4 in RHH OST 1 and 4 in Pandora Hearts where she was specifically highlighted as main vocal for the OSTs - not to mention main vocals for Parallel Hearts. In Kara no Kyoukai, it's credited as simply "Kalafina" but we can hear Wakana on so many of the OSTs there.

I just find it strange that the sudden drop off in using Wakana for OSTs also coincides with her shift in vocal technique.

I totally agree with that. It was Kajiura's heart and mind and view of the song/world that we heard in Kalafina. I guess we get to hear a comparison/"composer cover" view of those old songs. Kajiura wil be "covered" as well in trying to replicate her vibe by the instrumentalists/musical direction...

Maybe she can just go deeper musically and use her heavyweight vocalists more directly, instead of depending too much on Kalafina's music to draw fans. I mean, we were talking not long ago with @grunty schooling me that Hanae would ne excellent to sing lead Wakana's part in Oblivious (which I've actually warmed up to a bit more), but who knows what the mighty fans would say (even knowing that it's a COVER)! "She's too solemn and not exciting like Wakana - give us LINO LEIA!" (I don't hate LINO, I've supported her on this forum. She's just in the crosshairs, indirectly).

She's able to vary her vocal tone and colors by changing her resonance placement, and also stylistic changes frequently. I think it's an expressive palette she has that the J-audience who complain may not be board with, at least in comparison to Wakana's mostly straight singing.

Wakana on the other hand often sang forward and sweet and had a strangely forward but mournful voice. She also sang with much less dynamic variation (messa di voce) and tended to sound the same continuously, only sounding tonally different when she sang quite low (getting breathy), or did falsetto/head voice (much less stable). She did use the cry effect for emotional expression, which laid on her mournful core must make people weep at her singing (LOL).

Well, watching videos of one Japanese guy on YT that interviews half-Japanese ladies in Tokyo (which Joelle actually is, anyway), I've heard it commented on his videos that the same person speaking in Japanese would have a higher more forward tone with Japanese mannerisms, and speaking in English (or other European language) would have a chestier, more grounded speaking tone.

I just watched "my long forgotten cloistered sleep" from YKL 20, and I didn't get the idea of Joelle singing "heavier and chestier" since the song is a high-range song in the 4th and 5th octaves (C4-E5 it seems) so there's more use of lighter chest-mix and head voice. It doesn't seem like anyone should have a problem with Joelle's take, since the song's range means it's placed higher/potentially brighter by default. In fact, Joelle's voice sounds similarly placed to Wakana's on the first syllable, "In" and also on "was" on the first line.
"fiction", on the other hand, was placed lower and more in Joelle's chest range. (I wonder how Wakana's voice would sound singing that song...). So, of course, Joelle took it more darker for impact/effect. I think that more closely fits the "chestier" description you gave.

I mean, for comparison, Eri does not sing poppy. She has a full voice and no one complains about her Japanese singing, though her voice is more forward placed and brighter than Joelle's. I have a feeling those J-fans that don't like Joelle wouldn't like a singer like MIKI MASUDA either, since she's more jazz/rock influenced, though not English speaking, and she also does some stylistic/resonance movement in her singing.

I do agree that it was something special, though many fans tended to diminish Keiko's role always just praising Wakana, and some even said Keiko is nothing without her, or something to that effect, which I always challenges.

Evidence of this is that in Wakana's solo lives, the Kalafina songs sounded weak and flat dynamically without Keiko's voice, not just harmonically, but tonally with the instrumentation. The true test of this "perfect harmony" would be to have them sing their popular songs acappella.

The massive foundation and pillar of the music as written and performed by the FBM is also often taken for granted. We heard this when Keiko did her solo live with other musicians and needed to bring in Konno Hitoshi to play violin on one of her solo songs that didn't include a violin before, just because the musicians/arrangement was not of a sufficiently high standard to give the desired live effect.

Kajiura's musicians are top-notch too! The FBM is a high-level unit with their own common language in playing together for so long.
Ooh as I read that I realized I completely forgot about my long forgotten cloistered sleep and I mostly only remembered fiction lmao (ngl the English section from YKL20 was pretty sleep inducing. The lighting and the bad stage arrangement also didn't help because the camerawork was really awful on the English section thanks to the stage arrangement and their standing positions). And I really loved the point you made there about Wakana's singing mostly being straight and Joelle's being more varied because now I think that's also exactly what JP people don't really like about Joelle (other than her tone being not to their liking).

FBM is overhyped tho, especially for Kalafina. To be fair, one of the reasons I'm kinda looking forward to the upcoming Kalafina concert if it comes to fruition is the live band arrangement.

I am a bit torn on this. On one hand I would find it cool to listen to Wakana and Keiko together but on the other hand, once people disbanded a reunion never feels the same because of the many changes that happened.

Updated information from SC Kalafina HP
http://www.spacecraft.co.jp/kalafina/

『Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025』開催のお知らせ
2025年1月15日(水)、東京ガーデンシアターにて『Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025』を開催させていただくことになりました。

【公演概要】
『Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025』

日程:2025年1月15日(水) 開場 17時30分 / 開演 18時30分
会場:東京ガーデンシアター
(東京都江東区有明2-1-6)
出演:Kalafina (Wakana・Keiko・Hikaru)
音楽監督:武部聡志
チケット金額:11,000円(税込)※全席指定

主催:スペースクラフト・プロデュース
企画・制作:スペースクラフト・プロデュース
協力:ホットスタッフ・プロモーション

お問い合わせ:ホットスタッフ・プロモーション
050-5211-6077

Updated information from SC Kalafina HP
http://www.spacecraft.co.jp/kalafina/

『Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025』開催のお知らせ
2025年1月15日(水)、東京ガーデンシアターにて『Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025』を開催させていただくことになりました。

【公演概要】
『Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025』

日程:2025年1月15日(水) 開場 17時30分 / 開演 18時30分
会場:東京ガーデンシアター
(東京都江東区有明2-1-6)
出演:Kalafina (Wakana・Keiko・Hikaru)
音楽監督:武部聡志
チケット金額:11,000円(税込)※全席指定

主催:スペースクラフト・プロデュース
企画・制作:スペースクラフト・プロデュース
協力:ホットスタッフ・プロモーション

お問い合わせ:ホットスタッフ・プロモーション
050-5211-6077
Holy cr that price is much more expensive than that Kajiura and the old Kalafina asked for....

Here its usually 15-50Euros , and 50 Euros is the Japanese 5000Yen , some known artists do ask for 100 Euro (for closer to the stage seat) but thats kinda rare.

Back