「Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025」15th January Tokyo Garden Theater (NO KAJIURA INVOLVEMENT)

Kinda surprised that some people doesn't know Kajiura is behind 99.99% of the Kalafina songs (if that collab is counted)
A lot of Kalafina songs depart heavily from what Kajiura is famously known for. You can tell it's a Kajiura song if you were a pre-existing Kajiura fan, but a song like Hikari no Senritsu is completely unlike anything she made for FJ Yuuka or Seesaw before. Plus Kalafina dipped into so many different genres that all that music being composed by a single person is nothing short of amazing. Imagine a composer who's primarily known for classical choral gospel-inspired soundtracks being able to write not just good, but amazing rock, symphonic rock, heavy metal, enka (ish, Sandpiper is very enka coded), folk, waltz, electronic, jpop, chamber pop, synth, progressive rock, new age, with traditional Japanese and Arabic/Egyptian influences mixed in. And with harmonies and intricate vocal arrangement and layering in almost every song.

When I describe Kalafina to my friends, the closest I can think of is Evanescence, and even that is not close enough to describe Kajiura's work when she was in Kalafina. The diversity is shocking when you think about it, and I don't think many people on this planet can do as many genres as Kajiura had with Kalafina.

Now I really wish she used what she leaned in Kalafina and add it to her OSTs. Kalafina's rock songs are the best, bar none. Imagine an electric guitar focused OST rather than a violins and strings for once.

FJYuuka also had alot of variety.
Romanesque = latin
Kouya Ruten = traditional japanese
Nostalgia = traditional european
Aikoi = idk exactly but its not exactly pop.
And there are many others.

Also see-saw:
Kioku and Senya Uchiya > arabic
Yasashii Yoake > japanese
Indio > has church organ and Kasahara
And anna ni isshou has one of the most catchy melodies Kajiura ever made.

The fact that Kalafina had twice as much long activity did help with the song variation being larger.

Last edited:
Perhaps after reuniting with Keiko in 2019, and then with Hikaru (as guest) in... 2020? they made a plan to reunite someday like she said in her message, but the ladies decided to do it now instead of waiting for Kajiura.

Also, Spacecraft Kalafina site? What was the point of leaving SC right after Kajiura then?
Hmmm this is very possible. I know the ladies love each other so much and I think one of the catalysts of them not going back to Kajiura is because Wakana is set on not coming back to work with Kajiura. Like even if Kajiura seems to still think of Wakana somewhat fondly, surely there was something that happened between them and that made Wakana stayed in SC. Keiko once said that Wakana is Kalafina's main voice, she said that when you think of Kalafina then you'd think of Wakana's voice first. I think the love Keiko had for Kalafina is bigger than her love for Kajiura that she decided to do this. Hikaru seemed like she'd just follow what the other two do. But idk even after saying this I still think that it'd be better if they're upfront with Kajiura regarding this matter, but maybe they thought it'd only make the situation between Kajiura and Wakana worse (tho ngl to me it's still a better outcome than this because now Kajiura is very clear about distancing herself from Kalafina so it's like trading one bad relationship for three).

The money doesn't hurt either. Kajiura will still get royalty from them performing old Kalafina songs.

FJYuuka also had alot of variety.
Romanesque = latin
Kouya Ruten = traditional japanese
Nostalgia = traditional european
Aikoi = idk exactly but its not exactly pop.
And there are many others.

Also see-saw:
Kioku and Senya Uchiya > arabic
Yasashii Yoake > japanese
Indio > has church organ and Kasahara
And anna ni isshou has one of the most catchy melodies Kajiura ever made.

The fact that Kalafina was twice as much long activity did help with the song variation being larger.
The majority of Kalafina's genre diversity was released over 4 years (Seventh Heaven - After Eden). Consolation has some very different songs like Moonfesta and signal, but we'll probably never see any artist have the same quality of songs as Kalafina's first 3 albums, especially Red Moon.

It's a good read. Ultimately it's all speculation but some good points are brought up. However, the claim that Kalafina only got consistent work because of Kajiura is really not true in reality and diminishes their other achievements. Out of the series Kajiura composed for, Kalafina only sang for KnK, Madoka and Fate/Zero. SAO was a cash cow and Kajiura would have definitely wanted Kalafina to do a theme song for such a popular series. Every other tie-in was not Kajiura-related (FSN is a very indirect relationship).

Well, unless we go back in time and Kalafina gets launched without Kajiura being their producer and writing everything, there's no way to prove their consistent work without Kajiura.

Even if they reactivated without her now, they are already more or less established (though time would tell how that would go down...).

The majority of Kalafina's genre diversity was released over 4 years (Seventh Heaven - After Eden). Consolation has some very different songs like Moonfesta and signal, but we'll probably never see any artist have the same quality of songs as Kalafina's first 3 albums, especially Red Moon.
And Yami no Uta is like a pre-2000 instrumental repurposed for Kalafina so what about that? Chances are others are too and we don't know (or aren't sure like FJ YUUKA's "destination unknown -行先不明-" on JASRAC, and whatever else I'm forgetting). Kajiura definitely had the diversity before, during, and after Kalafina. She also had a lot of duds before, during, and after...

I don't know what you guys are arguing.

H/K/W put their all into performing Kajiura's songs and promoting the hell out of Kalafina, including their own radio show. Kajiura still wrote and produced all their music.

Last edited:
And Yami no Uta is like a pre-2000 instrumental repurposed for Kalafina so what about that? Chances are others are too and we don't know (or aren't sure like FJ YUUKA's "destination unknown -行先不明-" on JASRAC, and whatever else I'm forgetting). Kajiura definitely had the diversity before, during, and after Kalafina. She also had a lot of duds before, during, and after...
I totally agree with grunty here. I also strongly suspect, that a big reason to why the early Kalafina albums were so fantastically good was simply because Kajiura had amassed a large amount of unused songs, musical motives and cues at that point for which she felt that she didn't really have a fitting outlet before.

My point is, I do not agree to the argument, that Kajiuras music is generally worse before or after Kalafina. In fact, I think Kajiuras creative low-point was actually during the time when Kalafina was still going (2015 - 2016). While I can maybe see a little bit where @Saber is coming from if we are talking about songs only, it certainly is not true for soundtracks. What certainly has decreased though is the amount of output, but that is also not entirely a bad thing if you ask me.

Coming back to Kalafina, I could very well imagine, that all three girls had been wanting to reunite for a long time and especially Keiko and Hikaru had been waiting for Kajiura to somehow get things sorted out with Space Craft. Maybe their patience has now finally broke, as they did not see any signs or any chance of things moving in the direction of an agreement with Space Craft regarding a future of Kalafina with Kajiura. Still, why they did not inform Kajiura beforehand about their decision is really strange and crazy to me. I think there might be a chance that Space Craft intentionally made this announcement earlier than originally agreed upon and before Keiko and Hikaru had planned to inform Kajiura in order to surprise her and drive a wedge between them. They might be hoping, that, out of anger, disappointment and bitterness, Kajiura would end her professional relationship with Keiko and Hikaru on bad terms, which would of course drive Keiko and Hikaru directly into their arms and away from Kajiura's influence who, to them, is an enemy and a bad influence. This is all pure speculation of course, but it would explain a lot of things...

https://x.com/Fion0806/status/1841648472442994810

Kalafina さんについて

この度、Kalafina さんのライブ開催が発表されたことにつきまして、私の方に もお問合せをいただいておりますが、私梶浦由記は今回の公演に一切関関与し ておらず、またそれ以前に今回の公演開催について、主催の方からも、またメ ンバーのどなたからも、正式なお知らせも説明も一切いただいておりません。 そのような状況ですので、ご質問いただきましても何もお答え出来ることがご ざいません。申し訳ありませんが今後の Kalafina さんに関するお問い合わせ は、ライブを主催される方、もしくはメンバーの皆様の所属事務所の方へお願 い致します。

Kalafina の皆さまは今後、私のプロデュースを離れ、私の知らない所で新しい Kalafina として歩まれることを決意されたのでしょう。私は私で、将来また一 緒に Kalafina の音楽を紡げる道を探ってはおりましたが、それはもう叶わぬ未 来となりました。大変残念ではありますが、メンバーの皆様がはっきりと選ば れた道です。これはもう互いに音の道を探す一人一人の人間ですから、そのよ うなこともあるでしょう。

皆様もご存知の通り、本当に素晴らしい三名の歌い手さんです。今後もファン の皆様へ、素晴らしい歌声、音楽を届けて下さるに違いありません。かつて、 約十年に渡り、共に音楽を作らせていただけた幸福に改めて心より感謝を致し ますと共に、今後のKalafina さんのご活躍をお祈りするばかりです。

梶浦由記
OK.

I'd been off the webs for about 48 hours due to some heavy work project we were working on for almost the full 48 hours.

Got a comment on YouTube in Japanese telling me something about Kalafina reunion and just thinking "HUH?" I was going to respond then decided to come and check here and it seems like it's real. I have a few thoughts and I may be wrong in some aspects but I just have to share for the record. My feelings are not mixed, they are firm in one direction, Kajiura's (based on the initial info I've seen and my feelings over time):

1. I care FAR LESS for a Kalafina reunion than for the legacy of Yuki Kajiura and her art, since the beauty of her music is why we are all here. Anything that diminishes that is unacceptable to me. She left Spacecraft (and Kalafina) because of disrespect to both her and her director, Mori, who I heard was fired when he didn't want to go with the changes (feel free to correct me if I mixed up any details).
2. Kajiura's melodies and lyrics and arrangement is the reason why we know Keiko, Wakana, and Hikaru, and why they've been rated as the artists they've become. If they'd been singing average JPop music they would never have shone as much as they did, since we can agree they are unique but not necessarily the strongest vocalists. She took a chance on them and gave them a high pedestal in terms of vocal writing to shine on, which is the essence of their careers.
3. I personally (and strongly) feel that Wakana's decision to not follow Kajiura (though she had every right to) was part of the reason she stayed back - apart from her solo career I feel she broke personally with Kajiura. Spacecraft couldn't have forced her to keep silent from speaking to the Kalafina/FJ girls all these years. She personally made that decision (again, I speculate, but I suspect).
4. I know this was speculation, but when I and @Lorde-Kowz spoke about seeming friction between Wakana and Kaori during a concert, I feel that was actually the case, for reasons we may never know. There may have been simmering issues over the years. At that time I had begun to build a feeling (watching some lives again) that maybe Wakana had some issues with a sense of entitlement and maybe feeling that she didn't have to sing under Kajiura again (which is fair), or that Kajiura was holding her back. Maybe, just speculating.
5. The fact that Wakana posted first about it, and there's no mention of Kajiura, and she's working with her own solo-career composer for this even though I thought she'd left Spacecraft, would seem to indicate that SC never held the gun to her head about working with Kajiura (as so many of her fans tried to say to defend her from criticism over the years, as if she had no say); and if Spacecraft actually forced her at the time, then she (Wakana) has decided to continue with that separation, making it her personal choice, deciding not to work with Kajiura. Maybe she felt Kajiura leaving Kalafina was selfish (only thinking of her ideals) and directly put Wakana, Hikaru, and Keiko's careers as Kalafina in jeopardy, and so she (Wakana) had enough and felt justified in looking out for her own career, and even reclaiming Kalafina without Kajiura. Kalafina was the main money maker for Kajiura, and the ladies and so losing it must have been a hit on their finances, personally.
6. To be honest, the latent disrespect in the entire thing is enough for me to personally not be interested in the anniversary, as I don't care to hear a watered down version of what Kajiura created, even with the ladies reuniting, especially without Kajiura being credited or acknowledged.
7. I don't know how Keiko and Hikaru can look her in the eye in the future, unless they were acting on an impression that the higher ups had connected, though I wonder why they wouldn't ask Kajiura about it to confirm. I am trying my best to give them the benefit of the doubt here. If they went behind her back to set this up for the sake of satisfying the fans, and making money, maybe assuming Kajiura would be a stumbling block if she was still against working with SC (since they own the brand and whatnot), then I am against that and the girls should know better (especially Keiko most of all). Who knows, maybe overtures had been made in the past and Kajiura refused on principle. Against, trying to look at things from the other side..
8. Maybe SC felt that Kajiura doing FJ covers of the Kalafina music she wrote, is her making some sort of claim on it (I don't know if there is any legal aspect to this) and they're trying to head her off by using the actual "Kalafina" name and doing an "anniversary live", so they claim the public sentiment and make Kajiura out to be the one stumbling block preventing reunion, then that's an attempt to tarnish her reputation (especially looking at her tweeted response to clear any speculations about her involvement, and seeming caught completely by surprise).
9. Kalafina was formed in 2008 and had their 10 year anniversary in 2018. What kind of anniversary are they celebrating in 2025? They already passed the 15th anniversary milestone, so it's 16? 17?
10. I look forward to reading all our thoughts, but I have to say, I have a real bitter taste about all this right now.

I think Kajiura has been handling this perfectly. I just looked at the translation of the announcement and somewhere it says sth like "harmony unique to Kalafina" that uniqueness was brought by Kajiura lol. I am genuinely curious how they will sing the songs live without Kajiura.

Wakana herself admitted that Kajiura was really hard/strict on her and that she couldn't deliver what Kajiura wanted and sing the way she wanted. I just read her interview, @grunty says under the post: "I'd rather Kajiura find someone who can realize what SHE wants." that cracked me up xD

I am not bothered by this news too much to be honest. It just made me sad that Kalafina members were not grateful and respectful of Kajiura enough to tell her in advance. and we really have to take Kajiura's word on this, true she may be lying as to when she was told for extra drama etc but somehow I doubt it. I think she is old and professional enough to not resort to such methods such as they are.

In fact it may make Kajiura look for new vocals herself. Just not LL or aimer etc. please. someone with classical/jazz singing background preferably.

Now ain't it funny that it might end up being LL... he...hehhe...ehehhe.. eternal sadness.
Yikes. Even with vocal training I don't think she'd even reach Kaori's level.

Quite literally no one has 2007-2010 Wakana's tone. That goddess-like chest voice with incredible emotional depth is a once in a generation occurrence, and it was absolutely perfect for Kajiura's songs and soundtracks. Kajiura knew it as well, if not why make Wakana "the voice" of BOTH FJ and Kalafina?

The real shady part of all this is spacecraft had 6 years to make a plan for Kalafina and they did nothing. Then, just as Kajiura starts performing Kalafina songs in her own act, Spacecraft suddenly decides to have a reunion.

Feels like they saw the positive fan reception and decided to capitalize on it while cockblocking Kajiura at the same time.

Back