Kalafina 21st single "Hyakka Ryouran" (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu ED)

KANTANKATAN - Didn't know Yuki was still composing for FictionJunction WAKANA. That discography is ever expanding.

Well Keiko did get a big chunk of Hyakka so i think its fair.

I think that if Wakana sang this with her 2009 voice, it would sound much better, her current one is too high pitched for it.

Both Hyakka and KatanKatan are really good, and i love the Katan instrumental (that bass!). The Hyakka one has nice guitar.
Tombo is just sweet but doesnt excite me in some way. Now we re only missing the Tombo instrumental from the vinyl, oh and the pinkish PV.

Last edited:
Hikaru brings both the b-sides down for me. her singing grates on my ears. it's like she can't control her dynamics and her pronounciation is weird and it just sounds BAD. I would love Tonbo 10x more if Hikaru was only in harmonies, because Keiko and Wakana kills this song, same with Katan.

But, but I feel like Hikaru was great here. :tea: Actually stand out more than usual.

Mmmmm, what a nice single!

Hyakka- lovely! the instrumentals play a huge part in making this song sound Japanese style. A good chunk of Keiko so overall I'm satisfied.

Tombo- not too bad, I love the piano and it would make a good bedside companion.

Kantan- Can I say its a strong contender for Top 5 in my list? It seems to have scored major approval across most Kala fanpages so I'm happy for it as well! It somehow reminds me of :sohappy: :leaf: except replace that meh look with a smile and you're good.

I've been counting down the days for this single!! Finally!

Hyakka Ryouran : As I've mentioned before I've always loved the beginning it really hypes me up, but I wasn't excepting REMI's vocals here, I instantly loved it when I first heard it, it adds a lot more to the song and makes it sound a lot more haunting but after that, Hikaru's verses seemed out of the place, her voice is little off in the whole single to me I don't know why.

Kantankatan : This song is starting to grow on me a little, when I first listened to it I felt like it was dragging on for too long, and I still think it does but I like it a lot than the first few times I listened to it. Lmfao the title reminded me of tetotetometome which is perfect song. But Kantan is pretty relaxing and nice song overall.

Tombo : Even though I hoped there won't be any ballad this time, I definitely love this a lot more than Haru no Matsu, in the middle of listening to it, I kept thinking 'this song would've been perfect if it wasn't a ballad'.

Overall I think this single...doesn't hype me up unlike into the world/marchen did but it's still pretty good.

I have listened the single yesterday and I really liked the b-sides :plz:

Hyakka Ryouran could be spectacular, but the refrain was nothing new, nothing particular!! I would like to listen something different, because the stanzas and the kajiurago too were amazing!

KANTANKATAN was so unexpected for me and I love how the girls sung here *^* Very emotional!!

Tombo was another pretty ballad, like Haru wo Matsu! I love when they are accompanied only by the piano! I felt Hikaru so into the song, her voice was wonderful; I loved also Keiko expecially in her second solo and her central part with Wakana was fantastic <333

I'll listen again all the songs and I can't wait for seeing the PV full!!

Reactions: Ari
Keiko sounded so GOOD i'm near crying in both Kantankatan and Tonbo I could forgive her sloppy delivery in Hyakka Ryouran...way to go, girl.

Wakana's sounded like she put so much tension on her throat in Kantankatan...what a pity considering the song is actually okay.

Agreed with Hikaru's singing dragging the whole single down.

unpopular opinion: between all the 3 songs I actually liked Tonbo the most lolol. definitely an improvement than the snoozefest that was Haru wo Matsu. Kantankatan felt way too long for me and Wakana's vocal there bothered me so much

I actually prefer HwM over Tonbo so far. Yasashii Uta demolishes them both when it comes to recent ballads though.

I can't stop listening to Kantankatan, help. I love everything about it. Probably just new song shininess but right now I think it might be the best song since the Alleluia/KnGnN combo. Honestly feels like it'd fit onto After Eden well. I really hope we get a live of it at some point.

I totally agree Seasonreaper. Kantan is like the new theme for Kalafina. Its like the new (put your signature fav Kala song here). I can't explain how it makes me feel. I think they'll be singing this one quite often from here on. For me the great Kala songs give the feeling of a unending movement. This song flows in this trance-like way that captures the essence of Kala like their old songs used to for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help. I'm OBSESSED WITH KANTANKATAN!!!!

I really really like Wakana's voice in this?
I feel this song makes use of her nasal tone well. It's like Kajiuran enka.

I'm also really appreciating the return of the lonesome violins. Not sure how to word it. But I'm talking about the violins back in Lacrimosa/Kizuato where you can clearly just hear the one violin and a harmonising line from a second violin, as opposed to the To The Beginning/Manten strings????
Its a fairly distinctive Kajiuran sound to be personally.
Help. I fail at word.

Also both the instrumental tracks gives me LIFE.

Screaming.

Forum rules #1: Respect each other, dont be rude, dont insult. https://forum.canta-per-me.net/threads/forum-rules-please-read-carefully-before-posting.5066/ Please be careful because you feed the trolls
Fix't my post faggs don't critique my sleepless jolts kay

^ There's nothing enka to it, no traditional japanese instruments or even the tune.

It doesn't have to have traditional Japanese instruments for it to have an enka sound. Plenty of enka classics that don't even have them. You're not wrong in assuming traditional instruments... But You'll more often to find saxophones, electric guitars and synth sounds in enka than the traditional stuff.

I think the feel is there in the rhythm, scale and sentimental delivery. I'm just saying what I hear as I hear them like always lol. That's all~

^ yes this.
I'm glad you brought up Sandpiper.
Because Kajiura had commented somewhere (forgot where) that Sandpiper was the closest thing to enka/ old people music (lol) that she had written and that she wasn't sure of the young fans would tolerate the tempo. Ha.

I think that's where I'm getting the feel?

Kantankatan - Damn, this is legit great. The instrumental is fantastic, gives me kind of a nostalgic feel. It reminds me of something, but I'm not certain what. Not another Kalafina song either from what I can tell, for once.

Can I take a stab at this one?

The strings are happy/less miserable Madoka OST~~~
Most specifically end end bit of Collapse.

Well I guess I'm not a young fan but Sandpiper is still the best thing for me, it's one of my favourite songs of all time. Same with serenato.

As for that Madoka piece I'll check it out, but it doesn't really give me madoka vibes from what I recall.

Back