Kalafina 10th Anniversary Live at Nippon Budokan (2018-01-23) (BD/DVD Release June 13/2018)

I can't translate squat but I can help with any other part. I'm familiar with Aegissub and the work of timing/editing subs, also i can QC for fluidity and correct grammar.

I’m curious how much it costs to commission and add subtitles to a disc and how many additional units they would have to sell to justify it. It seems like a slam dunk to me, but I have no idea how the business works.

^I don't think it would cost too much (probably translators cost more than actually putting the subs in). Only thing about this is they can't translate it into every language, and why would any one language get special treatment over another (not counting Japanese of course bc the movie's in that language and it's for that audience). For instance, why would the movie supposedly have subs included for German, but not French? I hope I'm making sense :bow:

They would have to select subtitle languages based purely on greed. Whatever languages have a big enough market so that the additional sales in that market would more than pay for the cost of the subs would justify that language. I’m not sure how many fans they have in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc., but surely they have enough to sell several hundred or over a 1000, which might be more than the total sales of an obscure title. I’m guessing that they have even more Chinese-speaking fans than English, but they might not be able to sell as many discs there.

@yuki.n Could you translate? I've seen you credited for a lot of translations on the main site
Technically, yes, I could. Only thing is that a song usually takes around 10-15 minutes to translate, and I can't even find time to sit down and do that. :uh..: Translating the documentary would probably take around 2.5 to 3 times its duration (depending on how much talking there is, how many times there will be places where I need to rewind over and over to hear that one word I'm not catching, etc), which is probably around half a day, which is next to impossible. Sorry :bow:

That said, if someone finds Japanese subtitles for it (e.g. for the hearing-impaired), do send them my way :bow:

but I thought we wouldn't get to see it on the dvd :l
You are indeed correct if the tracklist from Sony is anything to go by. Surely someone should have it soon to confirm.

Edit: Actually the tracklisting on shops says Alleluia is 12 minutes long so... either they do a lot of MC and crying or more of the encore is included there after all.

http://tower.jp/item/4707011/

Edit2: See Kowz's post below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the tracklisting on shops says Alleluia is 12 minutes long so... either they do a lot of MC and crying or more of the encore is included there after all.
My guess is that it includes the encore clapping before the song starts, plus an overture of some sort, and maybe also MC or crying, like you said

Eden, Samidare and Yasashii uta played at the end while the girls were saying their final remarks, but they didn't really perform them.
That would explain the 12 minutes heh. Pretty dum to include that in the setlist on the site then, lulz.

Technically, yes, I could. Only thing is that a song usually takes around 10-15 minutes to translate, and I can't even find time to sit down and do that. :uh..: Translating the documentary would probably take around 2.5 to 3 times its duration (depending on how much talking there is, how many times there will be places where I need to rewind over and over to hear that one word I'm not catching, etc), which is probably around half a day, which is next to impossible. Sorry:bow:

That said, if someone finds Japanese subtitles for it (e.g. for the hearing-impaired), do send them my way :bow:

How much money do you think would incentivize you to do this though? If a bunch of us crowdfunded it, maybe you be paid.

The sad thing is that Sony could claim ownership of a fan translation even if it was released without being attached to the actual video.

How much money do you think would incentivize you to do this though? If a bunch of us crowdfunded it, maybe you be paid.
Thank you for the offer, but I wouldn't accept crowdfunded money for this. It goes against my principles. :bow:

Furthermore, it still wouldn't solve the actual problem, which is lack of time and brain-power.

It would be great if we could convince a company like Crunchyroll to try to license a subtitled version for English-speaking countries.

They wont do it because its not any kind of amazingly popular band they could earn lots of money from the licencing, it ll likely cost them more than they will earn.

Back