Fena: Pirate Princess: OST & OP & Taiyou no Kouro ENG ver in Junna's "Dear"

Yea and? :p

But on a more serious note. For some time now it's been way too much effort for me to go through Yasuharu Takanashi albums. I was into him at the start (Jigoku Shoujo/ayakashi+MoNoNoKe/Terra he/etc days), but once he got on big franchises and just kept churning albums out, with samey choruses and 80%+ rockmetal that wasn't really my thing... eh.

Shuji Katayama on the other hand... His solo OST journey so far is quite lovely.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying fena. The characters are fun, the story is moving at a good pace, and the show is beautiful. The animation and direction are also very slick.

The music is also great. It has this adventure jrpg feel that goes perfectly with the show, I really hope the quality continues. I'd also really like to know who the sound director is.

hmm that accordion, guitar is probably one whole track (starting slow from the ship and fast in the town) (there's more guitar solo toward the end) - I like it!
the "swordland" track has some interesting interludes, and I really like the drum/beats solo parts.
the beginning had some nice soothing sounds too.

I super rarely watch anime fully; I mostly just scan for music. I can't help but look at the story a bit. The dialogue here is funny :XD:

Alright, after 3 episodes I can feel a difference in composition compared to Vanitas, good because at first glance I thought that the use of accordion was going to be too similar. Overall and so far the music is less.. anxious?, more adventurous, and I get a not only folksy but also tribal feeling with the percussions, matching the setting. But maybe Kajiura didn't work on this anime as much as with Vanitas, as I think that more music could have been delivered so far.

- #114 OP: mixed feelings. One of the most anisong -by definition- that Kajiura has ever written, with this festive take-off and sudden ending at exactly 1:30. Unlike with Aimer, ASCA and LiSA, I think it could have been a FictionJunction's song. On the other hand, good climatic part ~1min long, the moment when you realize that none other than Kajiura is the composer behind it. And ofc works as an opening. I like how Fena's lips synchronize with JUNNA's voice in the opening, if only Kajiura could write at least a solo song for Mikumo in the MacrossΔ universe. (Since she didn't write Minori Suzuki's ED song, may be a sign that a full collaboration with Walküre is not going to happen...).

BTW there's something I don't understand. I bought "the sea and a pearl" on iTunes 2 days after the release and heard it for the first time, it was the japanese version. The auto-generated upload on youtube was in japanese too. Was it an error, as they wanted to share the english version instead? Now I'm lost because I still have the english name/japanese version in my library, can't find my purchase in the iTunes store or the japanese name/japanese version, but can find the english name/song that I... apparently haven't bought. HelpMePlz

- Complex piano track: imo Kajiura usually focuses on the melody but neglects the notes density, but this track is more complex than her average piano tracks. Even better to hear it including some parts of the OP but also going in another direction.

- Bar-baral track & co: there's still hope in this world with Kajiura going back to this style after the string-era.

- 1st track from this PV: might be my favorite although possibly not specifically written for this show (close feeling to SAO's death angel)

- Main theme ("swordland"): I hope that everything we hear from 15:15 to 17:30 is part of the track and not unreleased layers, or that the track is even longer. I really like the drums at the beginning, Kajiura can't (or doesn't want to) write bombastic, but I like how they sound here anyway.
15:32: who's voice is that?

But wtf with this submarine? Is it going to be their main boat? It's like playing in a pirate game with a crazy DLC.
I agree that some tracks remind me of Fairy Tail music. Still one of my favorite franchise works despite agreeing that Takanashi's versatility has dropped to ~0 since then. Like he doesn't even try anymore.

Yeah it is a little concerning that we're only 3 episodes in and tracks are already being reused albeit with some editing here and there.

i'm more fifty fifty.

though hands off to Kajiura and the sounddirectors because despite having been composed by the same person at the same time, the two musical journeys feel completely different. (not a surprise really, Kajiura is a very skilled score composer;)

I'd also really like to know who the sound director is.
I think it's 中澤一登 Kazuto Nakazawa , the show's director and creator. He's credited under 音響監督, translated as Sound Recording Supervisor in the OP. That's the same Japanese credit we always use for sound directors in other shows.

There's also 音響監督補佐, the Assistant Sound Recording Supervisor: 鐘江徹 Toru Kanegae who actually has "Sound Director" credits on ANN on other shows. Maybe he too has a role in BGM choices.

Last edited:
I like the Japanese opening better. It flows better. I don't mind the Engrish, though. Also, is there a way to watch the show for those who don't have Crunchyroll?

Is the show not available in your region? (Episodes are available for non-registered users for free after 1 week on CR.)

Code:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/fena-pirate-princess

I found it, but thank you. I am enjoying it so far, only watched one episode. I loved the part where she is a stick figure, jumping out of the window of the top floor and falling. I laughed so hard. The music seems enjoyable too. Can't wait to watch the other two!

I did! The blonde hair guy reminds me of Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist, almost the same uniform too. But now that I've heard the "swordland" track, it is different. Just the strings parts are similar. I love the vocals in it. I loved all the music in the 3rd episode. I can't wait for this ost now.

So the melody Fena hummed in ep1 returns. We're finally getting Joelle on a Kajiura CD, lol. (There's no way DEEMO or LORD magically get released before Fena.)

So after 4 episodes I guess we can say that they are not exactly using music in any consistent thematic way - just whatever fits the scene for them? The bass around 3:30 was from last week's Bar-Baral BGM.
That new Libar Oberstein track - real pipes or synth?
Chill on the keychanges Kajiura. Not that this a.guitar one was a very original track... (I could swear the melody is lifted from an older track again but inb4 you tell me the melody is also from the OP, lol.)

This show itself is so refreshing. I've seen people call it "very early 2000s" in a negative way and like... what is the problem with that in the age of light novel adaptations and isekais in particular?

Not sure if it's a spoiler, but blonde dude's name is in the credits. It's nevermind, they already dropped his name at the end of ep3. ;)

Last edited:
Im loving the new musics on ep 4, and especially
- Vocal track in the very beginning (probably Joelle right?)
- goofy track at around 6:30
- the bagpipes - flute track at 11:20 <3 too bad they played so short of it.
- all violin tracks including the one they re that workshop as well as the one with the painting.

Looks like Kajiura finally rediscovered violin as a solo instrument ^_^ and the melodies are so nice <3 :hearts:

And a Question: Is Jean d'Arc the only historical figure Japanese know from France ? We see her in Fate series, Vanitas and then in this ^^;

Last edited:
- Vocal track in the very beginning (probably Joelle right?)
- goofy track at around 6:30

After that 0:21 I'd be shocked if it wasn't Joelle so my bet is on her. Not that who it is matters in the end. :)

The goofy one was in episode 1 already. When Fena is explaining her escape plan.
Painting one was in ep1 in Abel's scene, too, I think. Or something similar... edit: Oh, it's used near the end of episode 2 actually, lol - after she cuts her hair.

Last edited:
The music this episode gave me strong Sekai Satoyama vibes, that and just a bit of folk Kalafina. The ost in general has been very cozy so far. It's nice but I'm ready for a little more excitement.

I'm still enjoying the show too. The episodes just fly by and the story actually seems to be building towards something interesting. Good stuff.

Back