Earthquake & Tsunami in Japan 2011: Pray for Japan

Media hype, definitely. First every expert from here to Antarctica is saying that the nuclear plant problem won't be like Chernobyl, since the design of the plants is different...and then now I'm reading a report that says:

...a full-scale meltdown of the reactors caused by overheating....the damage could potentially approach the level of the Soviet Union's 1986 Chernobyl disaster...

Okay, where did that come from?? :confu:

EDIT

Plus there are reports of 'panic buying of food and water' because of radiation in Tokyo, while Jbox.com (who I think is based right in Tokyo) says:

We continue to be surprised at the amount of normalcy in Japan.

More confusion. Who do you believe? :...:

^

From what I see on television and read on the news, there is no panic at all. People are scared, but that's all.

Re: Pray for Japan

sorry to insert this... This thread should be renamed "2011 Japanese Earthquake" since we are discussing the disaster generally.

Listened to the news today. From what I got, they're still dousing the overheated plants with water via fire trucks and helicopters. People saw a white smoke at plant #3, and it's an uncertain way to guess that the water is working to cool the reactor down. The power will be turned on again tomorrow (is that today now? I don't know DX), but the amount of power used will depend on the situation of the overheating.

Hospitals and shelters are running out of supplies and have had to send people to major cities to get more. Since many people left their homes with only their clothes on their backs, they are running out of medicine (ex: diabetics who need insulin) and have had to go to hospitals to ask for more. There's also a big gas shortage, so there have been a few deaths in the shelters (mostly elderly people) due to the cold .

If I got anything wrong, please correct me >_<

I found a blog post with an update on some of the animals in Japan and some organizations that are trying to help them. http://amiry.tumblr.com/post/3866071334

I hope the people who photographed this cat rescued it after snapping a photo:
tumblr_li2i3hnjqK1qbfm1po1_500.jpg

The power will be turned on again tomorrow (is that today now? I don't know DX)

I read that they were going to repair power lines and finally launch the generators ASAP... But I'm worried lest another strong aftershock should really happen on Sunday, since it may likely ruin the power supply again. :uh..:

Re:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/03/15/california.student.japan/index.html?hpt=C1
A heartwarming story.

Nick Hunter said:
The power will be turned on again tomorrow (is that today now? I don't know DX)

I read that they were going to repair power lines and finally launch the generators ASAP... But I'm worried lest another strong aftershock should really happen on Sunday, since it may likely ruin the power supply again. :uh..:

Ooh, that's true! I heard about the strong possibility of future aftershocks, but I didn't think about how they would affect the nuclear plants. I wonder why the govt would choose turn on the power now, when things are going wrong, unless the power helps somehow fix issues like overheating? I don't have any knowledge of this sort of stuff and I'm all confused and I have a final tomorrow and it's 3am so I'm basically delirious and I don't know what I'm talking about and I should just really stop now and go to sleep :imdead:

I wonder why the govt would choose turn on the power now, when things are going wrong, unless the power helps somehow fix issues like overheating?

Exactly. They need the cooldown systems back and running NOW, as water doesn't seem to work all that well. Regardless of how much the foreign media may be pumping the hype up, Fukushima-1 is still remaining a major toothache for the country. Even if there is a risk of another outage, they're trying to do everything in the course of these days to stettle things down. Even if they control the situation with radiation, the last thing Japan needs now is the mental stress of having a nuclear station going nuts nearby. :uh..:

A heartwarming story.

I almost got teary-eyed myself... :touched: really glad for this girl and her family. No matter how harsh the crisis they're in, them being alive is what matters. ANYTHING would be more repairable than a human life...

i read an article written by a japanese journalist... something caught me attention

“i believe in my government” he says

this is definitely wat other countries folks should do, to trust their govt. in handling these kind of problems...

japanese are very much calm with the situation, unlike in my country, a simple flood panicks the whole community and starts complaining to the govt.

this is definitely wat other countries folks should do, to trust their govt. in handling these kind of problems...

well... I agree, even though it's hardly applicable in my country :ohoho: :XD:
Indeed, compared to some other nations, Japanese manage to stay impressively balanced. :ayashii:

The cat... :orz:

On other matters, I found myself amazed at the difference between the NHK news and my local news...

I watched a little bit of the Newsline yesterday, and the reporter talked about how they tried spraying with one truck and then another, and how they used helicopters, and showed footage of someone in the government saying that it seemed to have worked. It was all very calm and understandable, with no adjectives at all.

Later that night I watched some of the local news, and this was, as far as I recall, the first thing the reporter said:

Workers in Japan are still DESPERATELY STRUGGLING to cool down the NUCLEAR REACTORS!!!

See the difference? :uh..:

I'm talking about it too much, I know... :uh..:

^ Are we watching the same news? It's the same thing in here. I keep calling them liars, anyway. :ohoho: I trust the Japanese government!

Re:

joel_jman said:
i read an article written by a japanese journalist... something caught me attention

japanese are very much calm with the situation, unlike in my country, a simple flood panicks the whole community and starts complaining to the govt.

Well, I'd say the Japanese can trust their government. I surely can't trust mine at all (and if something such as this disaster happened here, well, let's say it would be beyond chaos and the government would not probably be of "much help").

Yes, governments are usually corrupted but it seems that japan's a exception (if you except the thing with the pseudo-antifishing of whales law that has a huge window and lets the companies to fish whales with the excuse they will use them for research. :uh..: ), well we will decide be the result of people were write to trust it.

About the helicopters, Ive also heard that they failed to fill the reactors with water.

Back