Kalafina 21st single "Hyakka Ryouran" (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu ED)

@VyseLegendaire ah yea I thought you were talking about literal comparison between the two songs. I still prefer sprinter though. The singing I don't like except Keiko's parts ;))

To be fair the best example of a more 'modern' sprinter would be Marchen, because both have far too much going on to be rightfully good, but both manage to pull it off somehow :confu:.

I can't help but laugh in Kantan at the "fuwa fuwa" part because I think that was in K-On? Anyways... Is it Tonbo or Tombo? I've seen it both in various places. I do think Hikaru is better in Kantan than she is in Hyakka (she lacks a little power in this song, though we have not seen a live of it yet, waiting for the recorded one that happened awhile ago). And she is a little emotional in Tombo (or Tonbo) I think they are all sweet in this song. As for Keiko sounding cute... I don't think she ever did. I think it's just a higher pitch for her than normal. Like in Samidare and Musunde Hiraku.

It can be Tonbo or Tombo if written in English -- the character ん is its own syllable in Japanese and can be pronounced as "nn" or "mm". Most Japanese students are told to pronounce it as an "n". Either way it would mean the same thing.

I take back everything I said before about Kajiura's creativity - KantanKantan is an absolute masterpiece. It is painted with all those bouncing Serenato-esque guitar accented beats - but this time with 200% more Keiko! For real, this is the best thing Kala has released for years.

Hyakka Ryouran makes so much more sense in it's full version, I love how the Kajiuran bridge leads into heavier beats and more intense electric guitar work with Hikaru blasting off at a more aggressive pace and Wakana's dramatic chimes until a climatic synchronisation before things calm a little and we get sharper, more commanding vocals from Keiko. In short, this song is like Obbligato, Parallel Hearts, Toki no Mukou Maboroshi no Sora, Magia and Believe all rolled up into one big fantastical Japanese war flavoured epic.

But thought and planning has been put into track ordering too, this isn't Red Moon's unfortunate jump into Hikari no Senritsu - no instead Hyakka Ryouran's more energetic strings blend seamlessly into KantanKantan with almost perfect tonal consistency, even using a restrained version of the Hyakka Ryouran-style motif at the beginning of the song. And while Wakana singing to those Middle Eastern beats was warm and familiar in that it reminded me of Serenato and Sandpiper, it was Keiko's solo that really made KantanKantan truly remarkable and one of Kala's finest B sides to date.

Tombo demonstrates some good vocal work from all three Kalagirls, but other than being a nice chill track there's nothing exceptional about it, and compared to Haru wo Matsu, it seems a little mundane. Having said that, an instrumental KantanKantan is overkill at this point, I already love this release!

As a single, an immense amount of aesthetic conscientiousness is evident throughout, in both the visual artwork and the musical attainment itself, and at least as far as I'm concerned, this is vastly superior to Into the World/Marchen in almost every conceivable way.

I'm still looping Kantankatan, I love it so much. Not having a live of this soon is going to suck.

It's easily up there with Usumurasaki, Koibito, In Every Nothing, Yasashii Uta and Natsu no Asa as the post-BEST era's masterpieces, sadly as few as there are. Not to say there aren't other good songs since then (in fact there's quite a lot) but these six are the ones that really stand out as being something more for me.

Does anyone else get consolation vibes right before we go back to the verse with Keiko? Wakana is awesome here, it gave me chills. I like this style of being integrated in with the others' singing.

Now that someone said forest about Kantan, I can't stop hearing it. But it's a more relaxed version? I love it so much, even if it has a lot of Wakana, which I don't mind her, but I wish the others would get more of a chance in this song. Keiko could have finished her stanza as well, like when Wakana comes in at "tada koko ni aru." But I love each of their singing.

In the queue outside Venus Fort Odaiba, overcast with fine, misty rain.

DG6PPyuVwAA18hd.jpg

Last edited:
Kantan Katan does sound a lot like forest, which is awesome because Wakana's performance of forest from vol 11 was pure heaven. It does have some serenato in it, which also blends nicely :)

Because Kajiura had commented somewhere (forgot where) that Sandpiper was the closest thing to enka/ old people music (lol) that she had written and that she wasn't sure of the young fans would tolerate the tempo. Ha.
I'm in high school and part of the reason why I like sandpiper is because of its relaxing tempo :p

Kugaaaaaa.... please report! Ugh, I want to teleport there. Misty rain is fine, as long as it isn't a downpour. I will hope for the best for you. (Probably already happened by now.)

Remi on Twitter:

8月9日発売のKalafina「百火繚乱」
Chorus参加いたしました(^∇^)嬉しい〜〜
お三人の艶やかなvocalはほんとにお見事です
【Remi】
https://t.co/HKEx90Vgd9
mQHGfi7.jpg

Back