Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina girls left Spacecraft (confirmed)

Oh fuck me. She's (Ozawa) not on Spacecraft's site anymore. When did that happen.

tldr: nevermind my idea.

I doubt YK will be taking a break from music any time soon. It's her passion. It's her joy. She got in to music because of that. She's always creating new music when she's not working on anything. She has binders filled with lead sheets of the music she's composed. (probably recordings as well) It's a treasure trove she's constantly digging in to for inspiration. I saw that in one of her interviews from years back.

(plus I still think she has at least 20 songs ready for Kalafina that have yet to be recorded. As for that 3rd FJY album I believe exists, I feel all or most of the songs have been released by Kalafina.)

Making anything entertaining is a process, and sometimes people just get tired. Be it of the sake of their craft or their health, a break is sometimes just necessary.

From my perspective, Kajiura has been in need of a break for at least the last 7 years. Nearly every soundtrack she's written since 2006 has shared that distinct KnK sound, and while she does do some slight tweaking, they're almost interchangeable in some places. I don't know why this happened. It could be the sound director or the producers. Maybe it's just a lack of enthusiasm for the project. Whatever the case, I see nothing wrong with just taking sometime away, and I don't think it takes anything away from her love of making music.

That seems pretty far-fetch, ghostreaper. Are you sure that what the producers want? Or is it wishful thinking? It can be the complete opposite.

It sounds like they handicapped her contract with them. From what heard from other artist or seiyuu from that agency, that isn't a surprise. It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being a royalties issue or something related to Kaijura's control.

It's true that producers have asked for the Kajiura sound. PriPri is the most recent example, but I wouldn't be surprised if Erased was a similar case. Heck, I'd bet she got SAO because of her work on FZ. Now, producers don't explain her laziness with strings, but they do explain the general consistency across her latest works.

I'd like to see Kajiura wait until an interesting project comes around like Kubikiri Cycle and focus on doing lives or something in the mean time instead of pushing out a lot of similar sounding soundtracks in a short amount of time.

We've already assumed the worst about Kajiura/Kalafina 2018 now let's try the opposite; maybe this is a chance for Yuki, Wakana, Keiko and Hikaru to have a new degree of creative freedom over Kalafina, I mean for example just imagine if Yuki returned to her roots and began composing songs for the Kala in her classic See-Saw-esque style, or on the other hand she began composing an entirely new style for the group...:TdT:

This isn't worse thing. If they were banned the big publishers and other influential agencies, then it might. All I see here is hiccup.

As for returning to her roots, as much I like Kaijura to do that. I, however, have to decline when it comes to that. For that is precisely what got her into this predicament. The problem with the new style for the group, it is dogged with old problems.

Aelarion: This has nothing to do with the recording labels, spacecraft is scheduling the lives etc, its not telling them what music to compose, so leaving spacecraft wont help in an "back to roots" thing.

That seems pretty far-fetch, ghostreaper. Are you sure that what the producers want?

It actually wouldn't surprise me at all. She's said before that sometimes she's just been directed to write cool music, and KnK, F/Z, SAO, and Erased all share the same music director, so him asking "yo Kajiura, remember dat creepy, mysterious, haunting ambience shit you did for KnK? Well, do that for these anime too, even though they're not creepy, mysterious, haunting anime".

That doesn't necessarily mean that she would've done more memorable/unique things for all those shows even if she had artistic freedom. Lalalala...

hello, new member here
have seen so many opinions here, about anything related, about her, etc
I want to share my opinions, and some questions

about her music making: maybe kajiura-san was way too busy recently, creating so many OSTs in a year (Touken, Princess Principal, SAO, Kubikiri Cycle), so she wants to relax a bit, but still making music I think. Her 'lost' of uniqueness in music, if we talk about the producer decision etc, does she fits the music to the scenes?

about her leaving spacecraft: i agree we must wait for an official announcement about it, but PLEASE NO DISBANDING *cries* :( I can't really relate anything about her real reason to leave and how it affects the groups. It might be obvious for Kalafina but how about FJ? is FJ considered hiatus? even Kaori released a single recently

and to tell the truth, I wish she added more unique instruments like accordion again into her music. Kalafina's 10th anniv now has flute and accordion again, I hope it is for Signal, FotW, and Hikari no Senritsu. see how the flute/accordion parts are changed in FotW tour and 9+one

and what's about Hikaru's health? some comments mentioned about it

I could be talking out of my ass but I'm pretty sure that's just everyone being an expert on singing techniques. Hikaru did acknowledge her voice problems (or how it changed) during one of the recent(-ish?) fan events from what I remember but that's all AFAIK. I'm not really following everything that closely anymore.

Kaori has been releasing solo stuff before elemental came out so that doesn't really mean much about FictionJunction... but it's been 3+ years, lol. Did See-Saw or FJ YUUKA ever have an official announcement of disbanding? (Well, I guess YUUKA is now considered part of FJ...)

Writing music to visuals in TV anime shows is veeery rare. For Kajiura's TV shows, from what we know Fate/Zero S1 only had 2 scenes that were scored to the visuals (the opening and summoning in episode 1). (Unless I'm remembering interviews wrong.)

Kaori has been releasing solo stuff before elemental came out so that doesn't really mean much about FictionJunction... but it's been 3+ years, lol.
Kaori has gotten quite a bit busier in that 3+ years, releasing 3 albums, a (separate) acoustic album and quite a few lives since elemental was released. Though maybe just cause FJ is less active :XD:

More or less, this has to do with how Hikaru's gotten much less stable and therefore less consistent in lives compared to her in 2013 and earlier. Could explain more what I think is the problem but I'll spare you the details :XD:

For me: The biggest change in Kalafina would be the members contributing to the writing. That would take pressure of YK and add a wider dynamic to the group. I don't like the idea of outside writers. I think it would water down what Kalafina is.

As for the BGM for a show / movie. It's all what the producer wants. I remember The Eurythmics did a song for the movie 1984. Producer hated it. So he got some one else. Same thing happened with a couple James Bond movies. Granted it's just one song, but that's what a producer will do. They want what they want. If they want YK and they want a particular sound they will ask her to do that. Remember To The Beginning ? How many other times did they reject her first, second or third song before getting what they wanted ?

It's all what the producer wants.
Obviously. When you spend money, you want what to get your moneys worth.

SPECULAH SPEULAH. We'll seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Whether it's true or not and whether it's actually "better" for our enjoyement of her output over the next few years or not. It's still all up to YK, lol.

@dedeoded: Katsugeki Touken Ranbu OST wasnt by her but Hideyuki Fukasawa, YK only did the Kalafina song for it. FZ had only few re-recorded songs which werent new wholy. The only ones she worked on was Princess Principal and Heaven's Feel. Oh and Zaregoto was a 2016 work, it just took them ages to release it because of the delay in the animating schedule :)

But i understand that she will want to relax a bit, and she is older than back in 2004, when she wrote much more music in a year, so maybe she gets tired easier, or maybe the whole relax thing is a way to hide under the bed the spacecraft issue :)

Last edited:
Oh and Zaregoto was a 2016 work, it just took them ages to release it because of the delay in the animating schedule :)
Hmm, couldn't disc-2/episode8 have been recorded in 2017?

And I'm pretty sure you meant F/UBW by FZ there? nevermind, just hit me you meant the standalone OST release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back