Which Yuki vocalist do you like the most?

Just becausy. I still have 3 warnings left. No, I kid, hue.

I don't actually hate her, and find her decent. She's usually fine when singing the new songs (except Hikari furu, Ring your bell, and Alleluia), and I'm always surprised and pleased that she can pull off the bridge from Gogatsu no mahou unedited. But she's not the trained singer that she should be for Kalafina, and she's been in Kalafina for 10 years, and that irks me.

hmm interesting discussion.

=begin old vs new Wakana rant= :

I feel technique meant different things to people but Wakana cannot sing Liminality like before as @Kowz mentioned (and as I have manyyyy times) I have not heard this operatic voice since around 2011-12 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9j8Y8jFQTM . It's most likely not going to come back, we have to get over it.

or my gosh such smooth, clean voice here in Dream Port : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwoc6P1UXwE

at 1:41 there is what I consider a perfect blend of Kaori Wakana Keiko voices. hehe Fion is also very good in this song xD

or many people's Wakana entry song Hikari no yukue : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vza_Y7I4-vc. In what Kalafina studio version song does Wakana sound like this these days?

and yes Wakana's technique is absolutely appalling in Hikari furu... but her recent singing is promising, enjoyable and not at all jarring so I don't mean to sound too harsh on the new Wakana.

=end old vs new Wakana rant=

In terms of technique, I think Hanae wins (for me). over Kalafina? no contest.

I also personally prefer Hanae the most I think. That spot changes from time to time. Wakana over time could have had the better technique and been my personal favorite but sadly no.

Lol I may be in the minority as far as Wakana's voice goes but I prefer her "new" one- she sounds more mature and smoother. Though some gems such as oblivious, Hikari no Yukue, Mizu no Akashi will never sound the same again, there's only a handful of songs I feel that way about- imo the rest she sounds better with her more recent performances (Natsu no Ringo, seventh heaven, forest just to name a few).

As for Liminality- I think Wakana sounds fuller in the 2014 version, though her attack on the "dreaming in/we are in" could be more flush with the rest of the line. But that operatic head voice is definitely still there

In terms of technique in the FJC singers (which doesn't include OST singers except Yuriko Kaida), I think Yuriko Kaida followed by Kaori win. Fight me :glower:

Last edited by a moderator:
or many people's Wakana entry song Hikari no yukue : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vza_Y7I4-vc. In what Kalafina studio version song does Wakana sound like this these days?
Oh. I have never heard of this song before, so this first time kinda surprised me. That didn't sound like the Wakana I know. Different in a good way. Not that I dislike the current Wakana so bad.

Lol I may be in the minority as far as Wakana's voice goes but I prefer her "new" one- she sounds more mature and smoother. Though some gems such as oblivious, Hikari no Yukue, Mizu no Akashi will never sound the same again, there's only a handful of songs I feel that way about- imo the rest she sounds better with her more recent performances (Natsu no Ringo, seventh heaven, forest just to name a few).
Quoting because I'm curious why you said that Mizu no Akashi would never sound the same again. It's one of my favorite songs by Wakana.

or many people's Wakana entry song Hikari no yukue

Oh god, I just remembered the dreadful live version from YKLive 9.

In terms of technique, I think Hanae wins (for me). over Kalafina? no contest.

Pretty much all of Kajiura's OST singers trump Kalafina.

Lol I may be in the minority as far as Wakana's voice goes but I prefer her "new" one- she sounds more mature and smoother.

I find her old voice more mature. She had a more commanding and elegant timbre, like a goddess, like Kajiura said. Her current voice is thinner and weaker.

Though some gems such as oblivious, Hikari no Yukue, Mizu no Akashi will never sound the same again

I would add Kizuato, Lacrimosa, and Adore. I imagine Liria would be pretty bad too. And non-Kalafina, Vanity, Liminality, Himeboshi, Image theme of Xenosaga (although she still didn't get it right before the voice change), and pretty much all of her soundtrack songs.

imo the rest she sounds better with her more recent performances (Natsu no Ringo, seventh heaven, forest just to name a few).

Agree that Natsu no ringo sounds fine, but Seventh heaven to me is ruined by her vibrato.

Quoting because I'm curious why you said that Mizu no Akashi would never sound the same again. It's one of my favorite songs by Wakana.

She sang it in YKLive vol 9 day 1. At that time her voice had already changed.

Thank for posting this. I never realized I hadn't heard the OST version of Hikari no Yukue. :desksweat: I like the live version just fine, but wow the soundtrack version :dote:. Also, I'm glad to clearly hear Wakana's part during the Kajiurago. In the live she tends to get drowned out by Yuriko and Kaori.

She sang it in YKLive vol 9 day 1. At that time her voice had already changed.
She did? I thought Mizu no Akashi was only in vol 4
Wakana's older voice was really sad sounding, which worked really well for the song back then, but since her voice sounds happier nowadays it probably wouldn't fit.

Yeh. I have mp3s if you've never listened to that live.
I haven't, but I found it on VK. Yeah, Mizu no Akashi was... rough :XD:. I'm listening to Hikari no Yukue right now

EDIT: Just realized the performances of Hikari no Yukue & Gin no Hashi are the same as the ones on the BEST live 2 so interesting to hear with and without studio magic

EDIT: Oof that completely failed note on Parallel Hearts final chorus

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh. I have mp3s if you've never listened to that live.
Would it be possible to get those mp3s from you? :plz: I remember vaguely watching some of the livestream, but I honestly only remember Himitsu (probably because it's the first time I ever heard it and loved it).
---
As it stands now, I think my top three YK vocalists are Keiko, Yuriko Kaida, and Hanae Tomaru. I loved seeing just the three of them perform Duran Shoukan. :love:

Back