What are you listening to right NOW?

• Thread starter Thread starter Daichi
  • Start date Start date
Yeeeah, so um, fuck you @sarasara.

It's not your fault of course, but I don't know why the fuck I sat there and listened to that song in the middle of the night, in bed of all places, with a full day of classes the next day, starting at 8:30 AM. And I live in Michigan -- not fun at this time of year, especially for driving. Oh, someone just casually says, "Hey guys, this is really Kajiura-esque!" And I just la-di-da hop in and LISTEN TO IT. Forgetting that the only work by TVXQ that I've touched was Mirotic.

Cue me stuck sitting straight up in my bed for two hours and twenty-six minutes (and then my phone died), slack-jawed and wholeheartedly crying from both the harmonies of the arrangement and their music video.

But you're damn right, if Kalafina sang this (possibly with a little extra boost from Yuriko Kaida), I would be indescribably shaken (AGAIN).

Pass some similar aesthetic songs on to me and I'll definitely be listening to them!!! At a less idiotic time.

HAHAHAHA, you're welcome. :XD:
I hope you listened to the live version as well, because while I like the original, the live version is just immeasurably better in terms of vocal performance/belting. Chen and Kyuhyun's voices soothe my soul. (Though the video quality could be better).
I agree it'd be really cool to hear Kalafina or FJ sing this song, but I honestly don't think they have the chops anymore for all those crazy belted high notes in the bridge.

Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with TVXQ's discography as I probably should be (I'm mainly familiar with their Korean stuff, not Japanese, despite how freaking huge they are in Japan). Although not necessarily reminding me of Kajiura, I really adore TVXQ's song Spellbound. The amazing harmonies and jazzy vibe of it are SO FUCKING GOOD. Their song Ten is also amazing, those harmonies hnggggg.

But if I were to recommend another Kpop song (or a Japanese song sung by a Kpop singer) that sounds Kajiura-esque, I think I'd recommend Flame of Love (sung by SHINee's Taemin). Taemin's solo work, specifically his Japanese solo stuff, has always slightly reminded me of Kajiura and this song is no exception. I really really like the more traditionally Japanese instrumental of this song in particular. Taemin's voice is great too, as always. I actually kinda prefer the Korean version of the track though, I think I talked about it before, but Kpop singers tend to sound slightly higher/more nasally when they sing in Japanese, which is definetely present in this song as well. Taemin's voice just sounds so much more natural and supported in Korean imo (which is probably because, well, he is Korean, even though he also is fluent in Japanese). I also prefer his phrasing and the inflection of his voice in the Korean version of well.

And if I were to recommend one more Kpop song that reminds me of Kajiura (but for a totally different reason), then I'd go with f(x)- Milk. This song has that awesome Middle Eastern vibe that reminds me of songs like Tetotetometome, and this song also has some fucking phenomenal harmonies and countermelodies that I never get sick of. F(x) in general just have some of the best layered harmonies I've ever heard a group have, which is probably why I like them so much lol.

now listening: EXO-M- What is Love. I wanna marry Chen's voice. He's one of the only tenors I've ever seen who's actually able to hit a F5 with FULL resonance and support, it's so eargasmic to listen to

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been repeating the soundtrack album of the movie The Greatest Showman since I watched it two days ago. (Available on Spotify, so I bet it's also accessible on other platforms.) Just... beautiful. They won't give such impact if I didn't see the movie, but with the scenes and background stories in my hand, the music just tugs my heartstring in the worst ways possible (in a good way). None of the La La Land's soundtrack stayed with me, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found that the same composers worked on this musical and they nailed it.

Both the movie and the music are highly recommended!

Now listening to: the Zyrah Rose "Britain's Got Talent" cover of "Set Fire To The Rain" by Adele. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO2yuQkHCWU)
I have not been able to remove myself from this video for several hours, as I can literally NOT stop watching this and avoid seeing them as like, CelticJunction. Hell, they're nearly in FJ's vocal order. The one thing I don't like about this is that on the lyrics "But there's a side to you...", they started with un-needed backing vocals, as all four of them could have clearly done that, and done it better.
Otherwise, in my opinion they had done extremely well in their cover. Also, I am still shaken every time Kara (the one in Yuriko Kaida's spot XD) is suddenly like, "Excuse me judges, let me casually slide up to this D6".

FictionJunction Elemental live Blu Ray

So much good content on this Blu Ray I keep going back to it.

Nijikan Dake no Bakansu -- Utada Hikaru, with Ringo Shiina (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPdlfIhzPEo)

I downloaded this song and I didn't know the version I downloaded was one key lower, but I suddenly adored the song in general.
The distinction in tone between Shiina and Hikaru Utada makes me wish I could hear Keiko and Hikaru Masai cover this. Also, the ladies both hit a very nice E and F3 in their verses, which really makes me think once again, "Keiko's true range is certainly lower than the E3 we know".

Lastly, I don't know about Ringo Shiina's personal songs, but I remember the comment of Kajiura enjoying Hikaru's voice for the fact that it sounded like a flute; in my opinion, this song gives Shiina's voice the sound of either an accordion, or the false harpsichord you get from a keyboard ---- and I really like it.

Last edited:
The 2010-2013 LIVE Version of MADLAX MIX.

It's so good that it is literally FRUSTRATING ME. Especially the first 'verse'.

^^^^^^ YEEEEEESSSSSSSS. A Beautiful Song, City Ruins (Shade), Pascal, Possessed By Disease, both of Widespread Weaponry, my heart can’t take it . . . :ghost:

All of Jonghyun's final album, Poet Artist.

It's a fucking phenomenal album, but I'm not even surprised. I miss him so so so so much, yesterday was another particularly hard day for me (His song Our Season came on shuffle and I had another hysterical breakdown) and getting through this is just....really hard. But I'm thankful he left us this parting gift. The album is great, so very typical Jonghyun, it's a great compilation of all his vastly different compositional styles, yet it still showcases how consistent and coherent his musical touch is.
With the exceptions of the 3 songs he didn't compose (Take the Dive, Only One You Need, and Just For a Day), I don't think I dislike a single song, in fact, I absolutely adore them all. Rewind, Hashtag, and I'm so Curious are my favorites, they're just songs I can't imagine anyone other than Jjong singing. The fact that we'll never get any songs like that ever again hurts a lot.

I've Got This Round-Mamrie Hart's new book on Audible (She's a really funny Youtuber who makes drinks and does comedy sketches, she's traveled with Grace Helbig and Hannah Hart. Also funny ladies, check them out!)

Back