Wakana solo career

So... I'm not going anywhere near that trash fire in the PriPri topic (lol), but I did want to put forward a tangentially related question of whether or not this gal is actually a bonafide soprano? I've long suspected the possibility of Wakana being a mezzo that Kajiura had sing in a higher range just because she empirically could. Divorced from Kajiura-land, she doesn't seem to be using that soprano voice as much in her solo work.

Wakana is 100% a soprano. She doesn't have the range or vocal color of a mezzo. I'd say she's a light lyric soprano.
Forgot to mention, there are multiple songs were she sings high notes in her solo music, like Yakusoku no yoake, and Kioku no hito is a good example of her low notes and why she's definitely not a mezzo.

Last edited:
Curious, so in like... "where" and "myself" was it just an arbitrary artistic choice for her to sing those songs in that range? I could imagine transposing both songs several semitones upward to something that works for her vocal range. "Myself" probably would've sounded better (to me at least).

I watched her sing Musunde hiraku by herself yesterday. She's pretty good. It's not the same... but she does a good job. I guess she can still sing them well enough to do it on her own. At least certain ones.

magic moment album is great idk why you all complained hard. 442 is better than anything Kalafina releases post 2013, Wakana sounds so confident in Yureru Haru I'm so surprised, magic moment is quite frankly magical and gets better with every listen. Really adore her soft vocal in Hirari Hirari.

Her vocal issue still persists (throaty head voice etc) but it doesn't bother me as much because there are moments where I went "damn Wakana you did that!" throughout the album. She's much more confident in singing solo now and it shows.

magic moment album is great idk why you all complained hard. 442 is better than anything Kalafina releases post 2013, Wakana sounds so confident in Yureru Haru I'm so surprised, magic moment is quite frankly magical and gets better with every listen. Really adore her soft vocal in Hirari Hirari.

Her vocal issue still persists (throaty head voice etc) but it doesn't bother me as much because there are moments where I went "damn Wakana you did that!" throughout the album. She's much more confident in singing solo now and it shows.
We might be in complete agreement for once lol.

Between magic moment and her first album, I prefer more songs on her first album, but magic moment is stronger overall. The best song imo is "where" because it's super catchy and even tho Wakana struggles a bit in her lower range, I don't mind that here. The "aahs" have been stuck in my head for months. Surprisingly, I really like Happy Hello Day. The lyrics are great, the violins are a nice touch and the song is super fun and cheery without being cheesy (maybe except the claps haha).

The first album is pretty cheap on amazon again. Including the 2disc versions.

I'm REALLY digging "magic moment" the album. Like WOW.

The only songs I still can't care about are "Happy hello days" and "aki no sakura" and "Kimi dake no STAGE"

As you (and everyone else) should. Those 3 are also my least favorite btw hahaha

Back