Sword Art Online (SAO: P)

In a coffee shop sounds chill as fuark.
No more samples for moi. Imma wait for the whole thing to come out.

Thanks ! Its true coffee shop and Fiscus are the most promising tracks but in general this ost seems electronica / keyboard - heavy which is good :)

Fuscus is a bop. And noone can tell me otherwise. When that guitar comes in JFC.

This is a very good OST if you ask me. Particularly for a presumably "filmscored" Kajiura movie.
The way old themes are incorporated with the new is very good. I also appreciate the more chill and non-typical Kajiura tracks like "in a coffee shop". Iwasaki is regularly doing shit like this in his shows so I don't see why Kajiura couldn't.
If there's one complaint I may have is that there's still a few too many "oh let's just play this again but a tone higher" cuts that stick out but somehow it works way better here than in the 1st progressive (edit: actually, on the 2nd listen I didn't really get bothered by anything lol) - the tracks are way more coherent. I also imagine most people will want to cut out the almost 10minutes of SFXish tracks in the middle but I didn't mind in the context of the whole CD. XD
I'm very happy.

AFAICT, Remi is only on luminous sword (I have to get it back!). Not sure if they are newly recorded or old vocals.

My CD should arrive today, unless DHL hates me.

Last edited:
i wish "the battle begins" began with real brass.

to the next stage - nice change of synths. lovely Joelle.

in a coffee shop - LEBLANC.

now i got it back - the beginning part is really good synth + flute. wish it developed into something more.

a little sword fight - lolz at intervals but i like the effect of calm in between and calm again.

on the hill/guild flag - strings snooze - too long.

duel with me! - LOVELY. THE END VIOLIN just spirited my heart away.

Fuscus the Vacant Colossus - holy moly WIN WIN. it's 9 min long but every second was very enjoyable. there are these synth intervals, different synths in the second half, it's really good progression lol. epic. and then of course it returns to luminous sword, but what a return. melted me. EVERY SECOND was a feast. the ending is like Kajiura "don't make me madddddddddd i can write epic music alllll the timeeeee!!!!!" what music.

together we can defeat it! - same as feeling as duel with me! of course. 1:25 is like Kajiura "all sounds gather!". luminous sword with the new duel with me sounds really good lol. Joelle's latter parts hmmmm. so good. toward the end I thought oh it's done, wait no there's swordland lol. but the ending is unique.

we can be friends again & who should I cry for - at this point you get hooked on the leitmotif that what normally would be bland sounds familiar and comforting. win.

(the last 3tracks pending review) eh not much to hear here.

I think the ost is a win. sure there are filler tracks, rehashing melodies but it's an animovie score so there is a format. those tracks in bold are more than enough to call this effort lovely music.

HnA fixed the last three tracks

Last edited:
Code:
Soundtrack Staff
All Songs written by: 梶浦由記
Producer: 森 康哲
Recording & Mixing Engineer: 小岩孝志(SIGN SOUND)
Recording Engineer: 近藤圭司(SIGN SOUND)
Recording Studio: SOUND CITY / SOUND INN / SOLID VOX STUDIO / SIGN SOUND STUDIO
Musicians Co-ordination: 須藤一男(HOT WAVE)
Score Support: 石川洋光
Mastering Engineer: 茅根裕司(Sony Music Studios Tokyo)
Mastering Studio: Sony Music Studios Tokyo

Musicians
ALL Keyboard & Programming: 梶浦由記
Guitar: 是永巧一
Acoustic Guitar: 田代耕一郎
Flute: 赤木りえ
Vocal: Remi / Joelle
Chorus: 東京混声合唱団
Soprano: 稲村麻衣子・田上裕子
Alto: 小巻風香・筒井直子
Tenor: 西谷 大・星野文緑
Bass: 下西祐斗・徳永祐一
Strings: 今野 均Strings
Violin: 今野 均・漆原直美・石亀協子・川口静華・岡部磨知・亀田夏絵・亀井友莉・渡邉 栞・藤堂昌彦・執行恒宏・森本安弘・林 周雅・中島優紀・芹田 碧・今野暁子
Viola: 菊地幹代・三品芽生・堀内優里・生野正樹・長石篤志・二木美里
Cello: 奥泉貴圭・西方正輝・水野由紀
C.Bass: 赤池光治

Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes.
Not sure about the first tenor. Can't find shit. I swear those ever changing chorus members are a bigger pain in the arse to find than people who work with Konno.
I believe the booklet might have an error. It lists 二品芽生 in Violas when 三品芽生 is correct (and what I included above). Unless it's a completely different person altogether but that would be a helluva coincidence.

No drums or percussion. No bass. Just Kajiura having fun. ^_^

Last edited:
some cool flac files plz:) does it individually list Remi/Joelle by track? or just vocal in general?

Last edited:
I'm sure somebody else already uploaded it, I don't want to.

Credits are just like that in the booklet (except for that one viola I mentioned). I don't think we ever got track specific credits on Sony soundtracks?

I liked the vocal tracks, even though Fiscus had waaay too much strings, and the chorus was muffled as if they wore 10 masks and singing from the other side of the room. Also like the coffee shop music. I felt the others were too much sfx or Asuna / Mito theme.

Maybe if i watch the movie i ll come to like it more.

I welcome Joelle to the franchise, she did really good job. And yes Remi was only in "I have to get it back!" and even that was vocal from luminous sword.

Thanks grunty for the credits!

@george1234 Fuscus doesn't sound muffled to me at all... THIS however does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7My49EUOw and you made me dig this up and remember :glower: lol
if you say the strings intensity equals to that of chorus overpowering the chorus, i think that's probably true.
also lol i think the track is very balanced, sure strings-fest but synth and vocals add more than enough variety. i would not call it waaay lots (compared to fena's east track or some tracks in this ost) anyway just saying, peace xD

Don't really know what to say about this work. Like almost each track deserves a place in one's library but does not however deserve its own review.

duel with me: Live please just for the ending, with same lighting effects as in "aberideyu isu a gifuto". 3/5

Fuscus the Vacant Colossus doesn't destroy all: Finally a long Kajiura track. However there is no transition with the choir so it is like a different track. Sadly I don't find this choir beautiful, unlike for example "the place we should have reached" that was epic but too short. Am I the only one to find Joelle's voice a bit tasteless (esp 4:37)? Need more powerful Kajiurago like in "swordland"! But that freaking beat man... 4/5

together we can defeat it!: I thought we already got this title. E.G seems a bit shy. Choir is better than in the previous one but not that unique. I like how Kajiura's twisting old and new melodies. Too bad the ending is so uninspired. 4/5

I don't see the point of neglecting drums and horns, the result is still so bland.
But I appreciate the effort of bringing more electronic music to the game. I see she's experimenting quite a lot here and is pretty much out of her comfort zone. In my opinion, it's definitely not enough yet, but still is a nice start. Or maybe "counting down" and "terrible trap" were the beginning of it all, and we can expect more improvements in the next movies (how many of them are we supposed to get?). I wouldn't mind some Kajiurago EDM. Maybe those Xperiments can also somehow make their way into the Achtung Flügel movie...

Back