SEE-SAW "Sarigiwa no romantikusu" ED theme song for 'Mobile Suit Gundam SEED FREEDOM" released on January 26, 2024

Iunno.

If "FictionJunction" was no issue, then I don't see why "See-Saw" couldn't be the same. If they (Yuki, Chiaki, Yukiko) created the group themselves (not SpaceCraft), they could take it ("See-Saw", not recordings) with them soon as their (See-Saw's & their agency's) contract ends (in whatever way).

On the other hand, "Kalafina" was a project created by Sony/SpaceCraft specifically, not by the members of said project. At least AFAIK - I really don't remember all the interviews, articles or press releases.

Of course I'm just speculating. We've never seen contracts or anything. ^_^

Last edited:
Yes, that could be a good answer to FJ/See-Saw. And that explains why Keiko never got the name of Kalafina (I assume it still belongs to Space Craft).

Sunday research.
I was reading some old posts about Kalafina-Kajiura-Space Craft. Then some info about Wakana, then about Yuuka being from Space Craft but doing a live in 2019... And finally I had some doubts about See-Saw.

Do you know under which agency is See-Saw? Because I think they signed with SC in 1993 so, they should stay with SC nowdays but it's not possible if YK released the single of this thread. I checked the credits and it seems to be a HIGHWAY STAR production. So.... in which moment See-Saw changed their agency and...
and...why this wasn't possible with Kalafina? lol

if you trace back to Yuki's 2003 interview. I can assume that they are the ones who named the ground "See-Saw" not SC...

interestingly the sound recordings for older see-saw songs are under Sony Music Labels now (points on grunty's credit posts lol)

Original Label: Fun House > BMG FUNHOUSE, INC. > BMG JAPAN, INC. > Ariola Japan Inc. > Sony Music Labels

Yes, that could be a good answer to FJ/See-Saw. And that explains why Keiko never got the name of Kalafina (I assume it still belongs to Space Craft).
Kajiura was the one that coined the name Kalafina, but the Kalafina logo (the Kalafina brand if you will) was definitely made by their agency at that time (Spacecraft). When you take a look at Keiko's trademark patent application to take Kalafina's name away you can see that one of the column is "associated logo/brand" and Kalafina's logo was under it. Her lawyers or whatever law firm she worked with knew that it's near impossible to win that case and she couldn't really take Kalafina name because in patent law, the trademark logo in which the brand is associated has more power than just the name and the name + logo itself definitely was already patented by Spacecraft. She was a member but she wasn't the one who coined the name, she wasn't the one who made the logo, and she wasn't the one who initially patented the name.

She can argue that in all Kalafina releases there's always written "Kalafina is Wakana, Keiko, Hikaru" and therefore "she is Kalafina" but that doesn't hold much power considering at one point she had already quit Kalafina. Had she not quit Kalafina before maybe she can still hold some legal power over the name Kalafina.

Wow, that’s such a big mess. I had no idea about the value of the logo. Kajiura wasn’t very clever in that case. Not her best move.
Anyway, I was wondering about the agency for See-Saw but it’s clear that it’s not the same case as the Kalafina’s.

For what it's worth I HAVE A DREAM only lists SPACE CRAFT PRODUCE as artist management. Whether that's for Chiaki and/or Yuki and/or Yukiko and/or See-Saw, who knows. ;)

It was Yuki, in an interview, who literally said that was only Space Craft (Mori) who bet for See-Saw in 1993.
It's curious how SC is credited in that album (formed by Chiaki, Yuki and Yukiko) but it's not credited in See-Saw EP from 1994 (formed by Chiaki and Yuki) because it's "Nobukazu Shimatsu" (wtf?). Still Mori is credited always... it's a mess for me.

And she trusted Spacecraft on those sort of things because she's with them for the longest and didn't bother her... until Kalafina's popularity exploded and they want their piece of the cash pie
Yeah, she was like a consultant on a project, not an owner. So many other entities involved and invested. She was a gear in the machine (an important one all the same) bringing her talents under the coordination of the big parties.

Kalafina evolved to become something massive and personally important to the ladies, but it was just a fun project for all of them at the beginning. No plans for a proper unit, touring, etc. It really took them out of their comfort zone and created a career especially for Hikaru out of the blue (which she always reminds everyone about even in the anniversary lives!) Keiko, Wakana, and Hikaru became the face of Kalafina but the engine was bigger than the three of them, though it prepared them for their solo careers.

There's still a Kalafina-sized hole in the anisong world, in my opinion.

I prefer rare anisongs than 1 single every 3 months and yearly album like we got with Kalafina, that are hit or miss and are destroying the girls voice with nonstop lives and rehearsals.

I think Kajiura is enjoying her more leisure schedule that she has since she exit Spacecrsft.

I prefer rare anisongs than 1 single every 3 months and yearly album like we got with Kalafina, that are hit or miss and are destroying the girls voice with nonstop lives and rehearsals.

I think Kajiura is enjoying her more leisure schedule that she has since she exit Spacecrsft.
Fair points, all. I agree with you. It definitely reduced the longevity of their voices at a (for them) high level.

I do think the varieties of worldviews in the anime properties Kalafina were linked with inspired the breadth of the music Kajiura wrote for them - character music, location music, general themes, and so on. That's mostly what Kalafina was - an anisong machine.

The touring also, in my mind, though excessive and without sufficient support for them I feel, helped to keep the ladies in the minds of the different sets of local fans helping to push their vibe/status high enough that they can now do multi-location solo live tours in some of those areas, and have the insistent calls for their reunion. They can also stand comfortably on any stage in Japan, in terms of stage presence, whether solo or together.

Maybe a hot take, but apart from Kaori who's always been extroverted with live audiences and the camera (singing, stage management, choreography, MC) from the first time I saw her (first in YKL 2, then in SH), the others have all improved incrementally in that confidence over time.

Kalafina developed helped its ladies with that engagement and confidence, doing different types of stage work, choreo and so on. They also got to really let their hair down in front of the audiences in terms of expression and individual appeal more so than FJ allows.

I have been wondering about Yuriko's solo career. Did she have any solo live performances? I am not sure I've ever heard of any.

Not to mention on the first half of their Kalafina career they have to sing the choruses without or little pre-recorded vocal chorus...

I think they start to struggle around Magia era I think or when started singing for the fate series

I forgot to come here after seeing the FREEDOM movie in theaters. I almost squealed so high when the song was played. And it was nice to hear it in that capacity. Surround sound. Listening to it since hasn't been the same. Heh

Back