My Anime List

Kinda off-topic, but love your avatar Lunaria (even thought I hate the character ;X).
As for people dying:
I remember V Gundam. People say that there's a point that they've killed so many characters that some deaths were even funny

Oh,ty!

Well unfortunately there are many anime like this.
Apparently they think it's a form of art of some kind.
:blood:

Hum, sometimes it depends on the author. With V Gundam for example, the director (Yoshiyuki Tomino) was suffering from depression, thus the series was tragic for most of the time. The same happened with Zeta Gundam. I can't say this is the same for Urobuchi but for me it's just plain obvious that they want to impress the audience and that's the reason for the bloodbath. Pity that I hate when this happens.

Well unfortunately there are many anime like this.

Higurashi, Elfen Lied, Jin Roh, Evangelion, Bokurano... Man, why did I start watching anime in the first place? :vortex:
(although admittedly I have yet to watch Higurashi and Bokurano :desksweat: :XD: But I've heard a lot about them).

Bokurano too? :omg:

Well in Higurashi it doesn't make you feel sad or something.
The anime is divided in 5 arcs i think,and each time the same characters have a different main protagonist and die in a different way(the killers are different too).I hate it,i dropped it a bit after the first arc.Not for me,loli splatter :cry: .

@KP-X i hate it too,i might have been impressed when i was 16 but not anymore.

Re:

Lunaria77 said:
@KP-X i hate it too,i might have been impressed when i was 16 but not anymore.

Yeah, I don't mind deaths in a story. Sometimes they make the story flow in a different direction or have extremely heavy implications. But to kill characters just to leave the public impressed is ridiculous. Maybe the problem is that the public still gets impressed with this kind of method for "developing" a story.

Well, PMMM scriptwriter, even though he got the nickname "Butcher" long ago, doesn't seem to kill for the sake of excitement. It's just that his plots are all grim as hell - but every tragedy and drama there lie down like pieces into a jigsaw puzzle. Seriously, I'm almost tempted to dub him "the Stephen King of ranobe/anime" :ohoho:

^I would disagree with you to an extent (I remember reading something at sankaku about the producers enjoying the repercussion with the deaths, hence, they're adding this to the storyline in order to draw attentio of the public, but since it's sankaku there's basically no credibility at all lol), but let's leave it as it is.

The death certainly drew public's attention but it's included in the plot nicely so I don't complain :tea:

(I remember reading something at sankaku about the producers enjoying the repercussion with the deaths, hence, they're adding this to the storyline in order to draw attentio of the public, but since it's sankaku there's basically no credibility at all lol)

It wasn't even something Sankaku made up - they quoted a Japanese official broadcast watchdog who, in turn, claimed to be quoting the producers - without giving the resourse, of course. :knife: And the day I start believing everything offcicial broadcast watchdogs say, you'd better shoot me. :imdead:
With all the trolling the staff exposed us to, I'd rather believe THEM - and they mentioned that Urobuchi's script was accepted practically "as is". I find it extremely doubtful they would change it after the hype wave around episode 3 (and episode 4 had probably been long made by that time).
So... it's not trying to add more deaths for more hype, it's Urobuchi, just Urobuchi. From what I've heard of him (and from my impressions when playing Saya no Uta), this guy is simply allergic to traditional happy endings. He prefers whams and heavy impacts that will define the story as SERIOUS BUSINESS. And it works, too. Do you ever feel worried for the characters when watching a mahou shoujo show? Nope, mostly it's "wow", "what's her problem, really?" and "why don't they just shoot this monster?". In PMMM, since episode 3 many people (including yours truly) were worried SICK about the characters, stared at them, carefully watched their every minute on-screen, knowing it might be their last. And as a result, these magical girls, regardless of how sad their fate may be, seem more memorable than hundreds of their predecessors. All Urobuchi did was stuff reality into the genre - the reality of our world, where all wishes, miracles, ambitions and choices come at a price. And failing\refusing to pay that price (and sometimes PAYING it) may cause havoc that no magic will undo.

Again, I don't agree with basically everything you said (especially about the characters being memorable), but let's leave it as it is :XD: Nowadays, I'm completely skeptical about the production of everything in Japan.

Nowadays, I'm completely skeptical about the production of everything in Japan.

So will I, someday, probably. :ohoho: and characters being memorable is YMMV, of course. :innocent: although I'm tempted to press the point that they are just MORE memorable than crowds of other magical girls out there, but that's also IMHO. :XD:

^Most probably you will. Sometimes it's hard to know which is best, to know or not to know things. But, for me at least, it's better to know what happens there. After they messed up my favorite show previously to KnK I pretty much gave up on how things work in the industry lol

After they messed up my favorite show previously to KnK

And you mean...? :ayashii:

Don't take to heart what's going in the industry - it's full of great people, but also full of trolls (but what sphere of life is not? :ohoho: )

Gundam 00. That second season was beyond bad. And the interviews just made things look worse.
I don't take to heart, but since I know the public and know what the staff tries to achieve, it's hard to take things seriously.

Back