Live Album「Kalafina LIVE TOUR 2014」 at Tokyo International Forum Hall A

I can't honestly tell if that was a positive or a negative reaction. The part about Hikaru was evidently negative, but I think the part about Wakana and Keiko was positive? Am I correct?

This version of utsukushisa has its charms. It has a rawer sound than the earlier version, which sounds almost too perfect by comparison.

Tsuioku is lovely.

Does anyone have the password for the dropbox file? I thought it was on here, but it disappeared, and I already have it downloaded (I just need to extract it).

I tried to download it from dropbox but I couldn't, I think I'll have to wait for hikarinoakari

Yes! WAKANA and KEIKO sounded so amazing in Yane no Mukou ni.

I had a feeling it was, I have friends who use similar phrases for such events and I do it sometimes too, but it's occasionally hard to tell. Great to hear that it's good. I just need to wait for either of my copies to arrive, at this rate I won't get it until next week :touched:.

This version of utsukushisa has its charms. It has a rawer sound than the earlier version, which sounds almost too perfect by comparison.

Tsuioku is lovely.

That might actually be a good thing, I quite like more 'raw' sounding lives sometimes. There's not much point if a live performance sounds almost identical to a studio performance honestly. Not that it'll match actually experiencing it in person, but it's as close as you can get.

tsuioku is so very, very lovely. yane was a treat as well. that overture before ongaku...omg..and the energy in that song....I LOVE IT!!! red moon (if they sing it) is their song i usually listen to first:XD:not their best red moon live, but it was good.

I loved this performance of dolce. I could do without the cymbals, but at least the vocals were sublime. For adore, the violin really added to the song, and I prefer this guitar solo to the one in the AE live. Everyone sounds on point, though Wakana sounds a little too perfect.

Yane no Mukou ni was amazing. All hail the FBM. Keiko's solo was my everything. And so was the WaxKei combo. Harmony perfection. Wakana in this live of I have a dream is on par with Budokan (perhaps slightly better) and vocally, this performance reminds me of the Red Moon live version more, though I miss the strings and flute >.< . At least we don't have Hikaru's severe straining from Budokan. I prefer Keiko here compared to Budokan.

storia. The one song the girls can't get right after 2011, though this one was close. Hikaru's parts were, of course, inferior to older lives, but this was actually quite serviceable to my surprise. She actually started out fine which was already a major improvement. Wakana doesn't sound as chipmunky as other lives too, but I wish she didn't have to take a breath before the 'aaa' in the last 'storia'.
I actually don't mind Hikaru in Utsukushisa. Wakana was obviously great here with the fragility in her voice. I slightly prefer the 2010 version because I actually find that part more "raw". At some parts in the middle of the song, Wakana sounds a lot like her old self (which is great!). Keiko is just a little too loud during her end parts.

I don't think anything can beat AE's live of red moon, not even this one. Hikaru's lead lines lack the strength of older lives. The last chorus in particular had zero strength from all of them. It's not a bad live by any means, but like I said, I much prefer the older ones. Magia, in contrast, was full of ferocity, as per usual. Very solid performance, no complaints here. Same goes for to the beginning. Wakana was incredible. I got goosebumps from her lines, especially the "kirei na tsuki no hikari ga" parts.

Slowing things down a bit, I gotta say, Keiko's more subdued, softer lines in seventh heaven work perfectly. Hikaru's parts, while not great, are still not as bad as Budokan. I still prefer Wakana's delivery in the Type-Moon Fes live in 2012, but this was on par with Budokan. I love the Konno and Sakurada for this acoustic version, though. Speaking of preferring the 2012 version, snow falling falls under this category. Besides the usual Hikaru issues, you can really tell Wakana's trying not to slide her notes in the beginning (this happened in Budokan as well). Relax, Wakana, relax. Sometimes it's okay to slide your notes if it means you can sound more relaxed. The tempo in the middle is just a little too fast for my liking. Like I said, the 2012 Type-Moon Fes version did it right with a very even tempo throughout.

I love the opening instrumental to Tsuioku. I didn't know Wakana harmonized with Hikaru during her lead lines! Just love all around for this song. The instrumental is especially good. I definitely prefer this to the studio version. And it's such a shame they don't perform this more often. Why, Kalafina, why. The same goes for obbligato. Such an amazing song, and a live performance to match. This is definitely leaps and bounds above the Consolation Special Final live version, especially Wakana's Kajiurago. Seriously, that falsetto sent chills down my spine. consolation was similarly amazing. The best performance of it so far, at least vocally.

And skip everything after that since I don't give a crap about them.

Alleluia now! This version is most like the studio version (Keiko's lines) which still remains as my favorite version of the song, but too bad for Wakana's tears, hahahaaa. Wait, this isn't the crying version? WHAT. That (and Tsuioku) were supposed to be my highlights from this live album, goshdarnit. But at least I get a good version of Alleluia, so I can't really complain.

Overall, I felt it was a good live CD. Some Hikaru issues aside, all girls performed very well. I do prefer their 5th Anniversary LIVE CD more, though (at least Red Moon was more powerful there). Those tracks had much less vocal editing and retained a more "raw" feel, at least for me. Plus Wakana's old voice trumps all.

I'm still not sure I've heard a live of Storia that hasn't been botched in some way. Oddly enough it's often in different places too. Is it really that much harder than their other songs to sing? Eh, it's not a top priority song anyway. Good to hear Wakana is at that kind of level for this release too, I knew she was fine for Budokan and I'd heard things about this tour, but I guess this thing confirms it. She's been great since too. My conspiracy theory is that she was replaced by an imposter between 2010 and 2014 and just got back. Interesting to hear about Hikaru's problems this far back, I don't recall hearing about anything much until the Budokan lives happened. She seems to have improved again since Budokan, but if it's the same thing for both then and the 2014 tour, I wonder what it was?

Ahh all this talking about it makes me want mine already so I can listen :comeback:.

prelude ~ dolce: Once dolce came up, I was expecting something calm like from the studio recording, but it actually got pretty epic. The only things I disliked were the drums and that the piano was too loud.

adore: This made me like this song more somehow (never thought it could be done). Hikaru sounded great and I loved that violin solo, that's all I have to say about that.

Yane no Mukou ni: This performance was lovely, my eyes were closed and I was smiling and swaying the entire song. Hikaru wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she would be, just a little nasally that's all. Keiko's solo was great and Wakana's first "yane no mukou ni" was a little shrill at first but it ended with a little clip so it sounded more emotional. and those strings were <3

I have a dream: Very pretty, basically the same as Budokan's, Keiko's solo sounded more emotional.

storia: ordinary, to be honest. Hikaru and Wakana weren't their best.

Utsukushisa: so wakana can't pronounce "g's" and "t's" properly apparently. No, but seriously, I loved everything about this performance, but still annoyed because they didn't put the other studio recorded singing in the guitar solo, that would have made it so much cooler imo

red moon: The last chorus was badass as hell, and they sounded pretty good for the most part. But I'm going to criticize Wakana's breathing. In what little I know about scores, there's a music symbol for when you're supposed to breathe, Wakana completely ignored this. She took breaths in the middle of lines constantly, and it annoyed me for the most part, Keiko's solo was cool though.

magia (Quattro): THOSE STRINGS GIVE ME LIFE. Anyway, Hikaru sounded really intense, and THE STRINGS

to the beginning: Somehow, more epic than usual. Other than that, it was standard.

seventh heaven ~ acoustic ver.: "acoustic version" my ass, the only thing really taken back were the drums, the strings and the piano remained. Anyway, it was a beautiful performance, best Seventh Heaven one I've heard yet. The singing was beautiful, and those strings at the end punched a hole into my icy heart. Amazing performance.

snow falling ~ acoustic ver.: once again, "acoustic" my ass, this was exactly like the type moon fes version except with gorgeous cello. Unlike most people in this forum, I adore this song, and I adored this performance.

Tsuioku: Wow, it was so COOL!!! The way it gradually got more and more epic as it went along was awesome, and Keiko's solo *shudders*. Wow, it was as good as I thought.

obbligato: that guitar gave me chills. so epic. Wakana's kajiurago was really nice as well.

consolation: skip

Hikari Furu: While I listened to this track, I imagined Homura and Madoka and tried to remember the lyrics. I thought "this is from Homura and Madoka's perspective, they switch perspective. I remembered the words "This world is too fleeting and it seems like it's disappearing, but you are here, and just because of that, I feel like I want to protect it." That's Homura, I think, and I start getting sad when I remember the lyrics after "close your eyes in silent prayer because we will reach the final peace in the radiant morning." That's Homura dying and Madoka relieving her of the duties and as a magical girl. At the end, "the light and a song like a dream illuminates you"I thought 'this is was homura thinks when she sees Madoka as she's dying'. Suddenly, I appreciated this song a lot more, and it made this performance all the more gorgeous. Sorry for ranting.

Kimi no Gin no Niwa: Hikaru's singing had improved a bit by this point. Wakana's pronunciation annoyed me, she definitely needs to improve at that (she's still doing it). That accordion was pretty, but the drums bothered me to wits end.

misterioso & believe: skip

overture ~ ongaku: wow that overture was cool as balls. other than that, skip.

heavenly blue:
skip

Alleluia: This song will always be a great way to end concerts. The greatest part about hearing this live is that so matter how many times we listen to it, Keiko will always sing her parts differently one way for another, unlike Wakana and Hikaru, who do the exact opposite. Kind of disappointed that this isn't the one where Wakana cries (not because I like seeing her sad, she's my little cinnamon roll after all) because it brings a lot more emotion to the stage. Wakana doesn't show a lot of emotion, her eyebrows just kind of stay in the same place, which makes her facial expression the same the entire time. Plus, she sings the same way the entire time, she's kind of like a robot on stage (but the opposite when she's not on stage) so... whatever I'm rambling I'll shut up. Overall, perfect way to end a concert.

Sometimes, I prefer live CD's cause we can only focus on the audio and not get distracted by what's on screen, but then I dislike it for the same reason. This live CD was really good, some Hikaru and Wakana problems here and there, but I can overlook them.

Favourites: Tsuioku, Utsukushisa, Hikari Furu, Seventh Heaven & Yane no Mukou ni

Okay since my internet speed is acting up today I'll split my review up into discs.
Dolce - This was my first time hearing Dolce apart form TGU I haven't heard many B-sides since they aren't sung live too often. It was beautiful, I remember Keiko saying that harmonies are meant to soothe the soul, saying that Dolce was soothing they sung it accapella at TGU. at TGU i didn't think it was soothing, I was wrong I was 100% wrong. Dolce was extremely soothing it was beautiful.
Adore - Can we just talk about this second track choice for a second. Adore does not fit here whatsoever! It's like going from something you'd play to go to sleep to something you'd play at a party. It doesn't fit the mood Dolce set up at all, it's a big shock to the system. Kalafina's songs tend to fill me with strong emotions so I'm probably overreacting but it's happened before. Who plays Love Come Down after Misterioso??? (Budokan I'm looking at you) Adore was okay, Hikaru was weaker here than AE it's good but we've seen better
Yane No Mukoui Ni - It was really good, Hikaru needs to practise a little more and Keiko didn't do that annoying slide in the Mesameshi version that buggs the hell out of me, both lives apart from that are pretty much the same.
I Have a Dream - This was amazing it was less brash then Budokan but both are on par with eachother, they're the same really
Storia- The best we've seen since RM's live, Hikaru's a little off towards the end but honestly It's the best yet, It's really enjoyable, I even danced around my lounge room a little. I remember hearing this accapella part of it in an interview around it's release so it always gets my hopes up a little but honestly it's certainly better than anything else we've heard past RM.
Utsukushisa- I can see why it's one on @Seasonreaper 's favorites. It's now one of mine too. Hikaru was okay, definitely not horrible. Can we talk about that guitar bit though, the minute I heard that my life literally got better it's amazing and the whole round kinda thing at the end though that was fantastic
Red moon - Again okay, Nothing will beat AE. Hikaru was practically inaudible, but Keiko's energy was on par with AE this time unlike both Budokan and Consolation.
Magia (Quattro)- I can finally say it. They finally nailed the quattro version! :sohappy:Yay~*! I've never found a good quattro live until this one. You know the whole the song is about hope in despair thing that Kalafina talks about. I felt it. I felt it coursing through my veins. Hikaru was stand out, she was, one could say Magia Also those violins are super amazing like Budokan.
To The Beginning - I daresay it was better than Budokan. Keiko did less of that opera voice thing which although beautiful doesn't fit the song at all. Hikaru was audible during the chorus, which is actually a good thing she carried wonderfully and was so strong and beautiful too. It added to the song
Seventh Heaven - It sounded beautiful - Its on par with the other lives better than Budokan though. All the girls' solos were beautiful. Hikaru's was really good and I understand what @Atlas Star said about that one line of Hikaru's but it's pretty much been that way since the Lis-ani live they sung in, not much will change
Snow Falling - A song I love as well but @magicmagiamahou was right. Acoustic???? Barely. Hikaru's part was okay. The falling was good too... it's just the word snow. Blech. It seems to be a tad higher than AE's live version too. Off key???

Okay my friend decided to Skype me for 3 hours, it was quite a roadblock but I'm back
Tsuioku - NEW FAVOURITE SONG HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE OHMYGOD IT'S AMAZING. Everything was so on point and Hikaru! She needs to sing like this more because oh my god! This is literally everything I've ever wanted from Kalafina ever. Everything was perfect
Obbligato - Use of BGM was obvious, more so than consolation. Hikaru was extremely expressive along with Keiko too, I liked the emphasis they put on words by using pauses, that's what makes a performance really stand out to me. Wakana's Kaijurago was amazing too, so crisp and clear and strong.
Consolation- Pretty much on par with the album's live. Honestly it depends on if you like hearing Wakana more like in this live version. The Kaijurago was really good.
Hikari furu - Again a matter of preference, they blended a little better here than Budokan but honestly not by much
Kimi No Gin No Niwa - Honestly the best performance yet of this song. The accordion sounded really bright and happy and although Hikaru didn't use her head voice like @Atlas Star said I kinda prefer it since she sounded really nice here.
Misterioso - Again they blend better here than Budokan but not by much. I think that putting this song in the middle of the disc is strange, I feel like it would've fit better in Adore's spot
Believe - pretty much on par with Budokan again, not a bad thing though honestly. They blend better here but I don't know if i prefer barley hearing anyone else
Ongaku- Like @magicmagiamahou said, that overture was super cool. There's a part near the second verse where Hikaru gives her lines a lot of energy and her verse it really expressive, Keiko sounds super perky and happy introducing the band too other. All round this is pretty much the most expressive live I've heard at least voice wise and the violin at the end was cool.
Heavenly Blue - You have to put both on the album don't you. Surprisingly I don't even mind for a live like this. Hikaru and Keiko are super expressive and it blends together nicely too.
Alleluia - This will always be a bittersweet end to a live. It makes me love and hate this song at the same time. That's all I have to say. Also if the special final has this song in it I will be so mad. It's just too sad. It makes me wish it wasn't over.

Also sorry that I focus on Hikaru so much, we have similar ranges and with all the Budokan stuff, seems apropriate.
Also agreed. Wakaa's breathing throughout the entire two albums is horrendous, ruins it sometimes really.
ALSO I NEED THIS ALBUM IM ORDERING IT. IM FORCING MY PARENTS TO ORDER IT. I NEED IT FOR TSUIOKU ALONE

adore is gorgeous :love::love: wow these vocals! :dote: the violin bridge is a bit too happy for the song, but the guitar fits perfectly.

in dolce the drums at the climax are unneeded, but other than that it was performed perfectly.

in i have dream i loved the chorus

storia: I liked the drums at the chorus parts.

utsukushisa: Wakana sounds much better than in the CD ver. I love the strings. The guitar was really intense too!

Red Moon: loved keiko's "yonde ita", and also Hikaru's deep "hajimete no negai ga umareta you de"

Magia was great, nothing that drew my attenthion though. TTB sounds really good on this live.

Tsuioku sounds perfect, and i especially love the drums and bass. Just a question. If Kalafina replaced Kajiura in Magia's kajiurago, why didnt they do the same with tsuioku's ?

In Obbligato I loved Wakana's bridge chorus, rest of song was fine too.

In Hikari Furu they still have the most awesome part of the bridge on playback -_-

overture - Ongaku, that was some weird overture, I think it has never been published before.

i dont have something to comment for the ones not listed.

If you guys wanna download, I compiled it and labelled the audio files for you. Enjoy!
:knife:
Thanks. Now I can listen to it in Melbourne and now I don't have to have those live videos taking up a large amount of space in my phone.

Wow the high-resolution version is 4400 yen (~37 USD)… and you have to buy it as the entire thing, you can't buy tracks individually orz …… I really wanted Tsuioku but I think I will skip since CD quality is still good enough for me, haha. (actually idek if people outside of Japan can purchase the high-res...)

I like that Hikaru's voice is a lot less jarring in most of this album (editing perhaps?) but the harmonies/solo lines sound a lot nicer when her voice isn't sticking out excessively. Except, she sounds quite bad imo in Utsukushisa.
I'll be the first to say that I didn't like adore… nothing wrong with it but I feel something is missing. My favorite is still the studio recording. The violin solo was great though. Some of the songs were not "best live ever" quality imo but I can overlook that since it's a decent album overall.

Tsuioku #1
from the anime tie-ins: to the beginning #1

Wow the high-resolution version is 4400 yen (~37 USD)… and you have to buy it as the entire thing, you can't buy tracks individually orz …… I really wanted Tsuioku but I think I will skip since CD quality is still good enough for me, haha. (actually idek if people outside of Japan can purchase the high-res...)

I like that Hikaru's voice is a lot less jarring in most of this album (editing perhaps?) but the harmonies/solo lines sound a lot nicer when her voice isn't sticking out excessively. Except, she sounds quite bad imo in Utsukushisa.
I'll be the first to say that I didn't like adore… nothing wrong with it but I feel something is missing. My favorite is still the studio recording. The violin solo was great though. Some of the songs were not "best live ever" quality imo but I can overlook that since it's a decent album overall.

Tsuioku #1
from the anime tie-ins: to the beginning #1
Too bad CDJ doesn't have this high res available :( I would totally wanna get my hands on it. I guess the regular quality will just have to suffice

Hmm, I reckon the hi-res probably isn't even that noticeable unless you happen to have some pretty expensive equipment anyway, which I currently do not. I have a good set of Sennheiser headphones but no amp and my laptop's soundcard is standard as hell, so I doubt I could get anything discernible out of this.

I've not tried with a live source yet but the only difference I hear from their studio releases is that each sound is a little more controlled. It's not a huge difference.

...but I'm probably gonna get it in both hires and CD anyway. I think I've gone rather mad.

Back