Kantan Krusaders (Hyakka and Tombo posting is welcome too)

I'm pretty sure the Kalastaff tweeted about it just before the Hyakka Ryouran release, so I assumed everyone knew about it. My bad.

Don't worry about it at all. It is good to provide a rough idea in English of something that was originally in Nihongo related to Yuki Kajiura's music if you can here on canta-per-me.net forums, you never know when it might help someone else.

I try to keep track of what gets tweeted / blogged but can't keep up nor run machine translation on it, let alone understand the Japanese.

At the end of episode 9 right before the ED starts there is a string quartet version of Hyakka Ryouran's chorus playing in the background (around 20:40). I think it's a Kajiura composition that was created to help transition into the ED (like in some eps of F/SN with ring your bell), as it had some Kajiura-esque sound effects used at the end of it (reminded me of "Confidence" in PH's OST)

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of Kajiura contributing to a Fukusawa score even in a small way is pretty cool tbh, since they both have vaguely similar styles, and they're both heavily reliant on strings with occasional electro.

@Aelarion I haven't listened to much stuff by that composer, but the score so far for the show has been pretty good (unlike the absolute mess that is the show's "plot")

Can't look for a video because my connection is metered, but yesterday I watched ep22 of Shirokuma Cafe. Near the middle (end of the first part) there's a scene with two little penguins walking around and making a train, and they're saying "katan katan" :dote:

EDIT: Found it :stars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhR7ltvl_s

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't look for a video because my connection is metered, but yesterday I watched ep22 of Shirokuma Cafe. Near the middle (end of the first part) there's a scene with two little penguins walking around and making a train, and they're saying "katan katan" :dote:

I suppose in Japan it's just common onomatopoeia, but for the people who really loved this song, I guess it has a special meaning now. :)

There's something in Hikaru's performance in the b-sides which is really throwing me off. Occasionally she tends to go louder on some vowels, which really grates on me. Example in Tombo:

aruKImawatteta
bokutachi no monogataRI
ijiWAru na KAZE ni
oitsukarenai yoU ni

ame NI NAru no kana
kimi ga kimi ni sasaYAku
kumo WA TOOi KEdo
boku wa boku ni kotaEru

I'm really proud of Hikaru that she is aware of how her voice has changed, but if she is going to sing with the skill she has now, she should improve so that it actually sounds like she's not pushing out each note.

Hyakka Ryouran was used as an insert song in the final episode of Katsugeki, starting from Remi's part in the bridge.

After some more listens, I’ve decided that my favorite parts of the song are:
KEIKO’s first verse
HIKARU’s first and last verse (NOT the bridge. Smh)

When HIKARU comes in with her solo at “Mamoritai to omou nowa...” .... It just sounds so COOL OMG. Big part of it has to do with her voice pairing with that bass and the guitar riffs...

I also find the transition from KEIKO into HIKARU very smooth and beautiful in the first segment of the song.

At the end of episode 9 right before the ED starts there is a string quartet version of Hyakka Ryouran's chorus playing in the background (around 20:40). I think it's a Kajiura composition that was created to help transition into the ED (like in some eps of F/SN with ring your bell), as it had some Kajiura-esque sound effects used at the end of it (reminded me of "Confidence" in PH's OST)
Random Question- I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but I couldn't think of anywhere else. I mentioned here that Kajiura probably composed a short piece at the end of this episode, but that made wonder- Are guest composers typically credited (whether one of their tracks was reused/remixed (like in F/SN) or they contributed a piece despite not being the main composer)? I watched both the OP and ED for that episode, but I didn't find Kajiura's name at all in either (obviously aside from below the ED song credit for Hyakka Ryouran)

Random Question- I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but I couldn't think of anywhere else. I mentioned here that Kajiura probably composed a short piece at the end of this episode, but that made wonder- Are guest composers typically credited (whether one of their tracks was reused/remixed (like in F/SN) or they contributed a piece despite not being the main composer)? I watched both the OP and ED for that episode, but I didn't find Kajiura's name at all in either (obviously aside from below the ED song credit for Hyakka Ryouran)
Absolutely. Anytime you use someone’s work, you must credit them. Kajiura was credited in fsn, and she likewise credited the classical composers whose work she used in the madoka soundtrack.

Absolutely. Anytime you use someone’s work, you must credit them. Kajiura was credited in fsn, and she likewise credited the classical composers whose work she used in the madoka soundtrack.
Do you know where they are credited? Maybe I'm clicking on the wrong episodes, but I don't see her name credited in the OP or ED for both seasons of F/SN, and also Katsugeki.

Back