Kalafina's 17th single "Ring your Bell"

^Nice review (allowing for the reviewer's personal taste for upbeat over downbeat songs).

On a personal note, it's good to see Zzeroparticle's still writing - I remember the name from years ago, back when anime-related blogging was more of a community. It's easy to forget some of them are still around!

Nice review indeed but I'll never undestand why Kalafina is reduced to the 'dark-atmosphere songs' trio. People should really explore their whole repertoire before using certain terms. It's also strange because among their most known songs there are Hns, which is completely opposite to dark, HB, which has a 'bright' refrain, and TTB, which is not exactly gloomy. Of course they have a lot of dark songs that we all love but Kalafina is much more than that. Kalafina is ballads, upbeat, folk, electro, rock and darker songs but they are just a faceting of a greater, precious and beautiful diamond.

^ Not sure if that was aimed at me because I did say I was hoping for another dark song but anyway... I definitely appreciate that they don't do the same thing all the time which would be damn boring. HNS is a song I initially did not like at all (also I don't find it to be all that happy/bright despite how it sounds), but hearing it in person changed my view completely. I've also said this before, but I believe Kalafina has the talent to make someone enjoy a song after they've heard the live version. I do like HB and TTB (they are very beautiful pieces, especially the lyrics). I'm probably one of the few here who thinks that though lol.

There is a Korean hip hop group I like that uses a quote, "no genre, just music" and that's what Kalafina is. I know I would never have touched a song like Lacrimosa if someone else had sung it, and now to this day it's still one of my favorite songs. That's what a talented vocal group does. I'm sure other people appreciate them the same and know that they have more to offer than "dark". Although I must say, it doesn't help that one of the songs they are most known for now is Magia lol.

@shiro lol I'm sorry if you felt offended but tbh I don't even remember you saying that xD

However I do agree with everything you wrote.

I didn't like Hikari Furu until I heard it live in Paris, hearing it live made me shed a few tears however.

Also I wouldn't say KnGnN or Moonfesta sound 'dark' either, and those were both tie-ins. Alleluia too.

Yeah, it sounds happy but it's got that darker side to it which frankly sums up Rebellion as a whole. Hikari no Senritsu is on a similar board for the same reasons due to Soranowoto.

Moonfesta is just happy, though. It always makes me smile :w00t:.

I even think this song, Ring Your Bell, has a happy tone to it. I heard it again today, their live tv spot version of it, and liked it more with this listen. I do say they are amazing live, and someone should give them a chance before turning them away. I know they started out with Kara no Kyoukai, which are "dark" films, but not all of their songs are dark. Lyrics may mean different things to different people too I guess. But the tone of the song, like RyB, is happier than say, Hikari furu (which I loved at ACen and made me tear up too, which is why I don't listen to it often) or lirica. Yes, Magia and some of their anime songs are dark, but that is what Yuki was asked to write for them. If she was asked to write more happy songs, like misterioso and mirai, then she would. I agree with the "no genre" thing, since when people say they sound like FJ or vice versa, it's because it's pretty much the same group of girls, but FJ is a little more rockfish, but Kala has their rock songs too.

Okay, I am done now. Back to talking about the single. I would have loved to hear this song on Budokan's Blu-ray, so I will be disappointed a little next month, since I just heard them sing it like I said before, and it was great. Wakana was powerful, Hikaru beautiful, and Keiko on spot as always.

ers1Hai.jpg
vrGCvkA.jpg

got my copy today~ its a shame i now know that i hate the single. wonder if cdj does refunds?

^ @lapis I don't think that CD Japan would do a refund if you've opened the package.

Maybe you could arrange to do a trade with someone else for a CD that you want?

^ @ lapis: If I were you I would wait to listen to the single first and preorder after. (like I did the ttb and magia) OR if I have big faith in Kalafina and I like (almost) all their songs, I would order it without second thought.

^ @ lapis: If I were you I would wait to listen to the single first and preorder after. (like I did the ttb and magia) OR if I have big faith in Kalafina and I like (almost) all their songs, I would order it without second thought.
hehe~ okay~

^ @lapis I don't think that CD Japan would do a refund if you've opened the package.

Maybe you could arrange to do a trade with someone else for a CD that you want?
its a shame~ i don't really want anything else. i'll just sell it to a japanese bookstore. thanks kuga for the advice.

RyB TV size with 23-sec instrumental intro, from ep 12, for those that dont mind spoilers (because I couldnt remove all vocals)
:tea:

Last edited:
@george1234 I just searched this thread... (and checking elsewhere it was listed in the "what are you listening to right now" thread).

Last edited:
Back