Kalafina's 17th single "Ring your Bell"

it seems to be working now. Though, first I need to figure out how to change what paypal account I use, so looks like I need to email them anyway....

I finally listened to in the silence

I think it actually sounds really cool... The notes sound similar to stuff we've heard a thousand times already, but the effects and whatever else are pretty dramatic. I think the fact that it started as an upbeat ED ended up giving it a bit of a different feeling than their typical quiet/sad stuff when the song picks up, anyway. Tears for short length.

Also as a note, I think a lot of the songs that Kajiura's done poorly lately (in my book, at least) are songs that she probably wouldn't have done a good job on at -any- point in her career, so I'm not really too worried about her having writer's block or anything like that.

For example, I guess she's done some pop stuff that I've liked better, but I don't think the style of those songs would have fit something like SAO, F/SN, or aldnoah.zero either. And SAO in general lacks the type of strong image that results in good soundtracks from her. Even if you could say those older anime were bad, they at least had really specific designs and environments that invoke certain feelings or cultural ideas. I think SAO should have been done by someone with more experience in video game music or something

I think SAO should have been done by someone with more experience in video game music or something

I don't think it would've made a difference since SAO isn't very videogamey. It focuses more on Kirito and friends than stats, battles and exploration.

Agree with Kowz and she has worked on 2 xenosagas before too (i so hope for a new game project)

What proves that sao isnt game-like even tjough theoritically is a game is:
- Since the beginning there is a big time skip and Kirito becomes much stronger than the bosses of the game or the other players, so stats dont really matter anymore.
- Battles in the anime, compred to novel (were they take a few pages each )are shortenned alot, which also leads to the battpe bgm misuse.
- There is no exploration, in most cases they start going tobthe dungeon and on the next scene they are already in front of the boss room

Last edited:
(Sample) signed promotional poster to be given away at the commemoration event for「ring your bell」single :)

Venue & Date:
Hankyu Nishinomiya Gardens 4F, Sky Garden - May 16,2015 (Sat) at 14:00~
Lazona Kawasaki Plaza, Ruufa Plaza - May 17, 2015 (Sun) at 14:00~

http://blog.oricon.co.jp/kalafina/archive/1157/0

11048762_1050432228319934_6440392641545499003_n.jpg

That might actually be the only time I've been able to make out 'Hikaru' in her signature. Even in the clearest autograph I've got it's pretty messy and I've noticed it's not particularly clear in printed form on various items either.

Also Wakana can't seem to decide which side to put the little lines next to her heart. They keep swapping. It is a super-adorable signature though.

The bside is very nice. Wakana at the start of 2nd verse is like WHOA (it's like what I imagine she and Hikaru combined would sound like and I like it, or maybe it is Hikaru or both? Fuck me. Confusing line.). Too bad she won't ever be able to perform it live... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @george1234 :w00t:

Koibito sounds really cool! :plz: Wakana sounds wow... And this silence in the beginning.... Isn't it a mix of past b-sides? e.g. 'Utsukushisa' in the middle of the song? Or similiar melody in one place to tsuioku? I prefer in every nothing, but it' really nice.

@grunty you're right... Probably we won't see koibito live (dvd/bd release)

The bside is very nice. Wakana at the start of 2nd verse is like WHOA (it's like what I imagine she and Hikaru combined would sound like and I like it, or maybe it is Hikaru or both? Fuck me. Confusing line.). Too bad she won't ever be able to perform it live... :p
Hikaru starts the 2nd verse, then transitions to Wakana (at "bokura wa doko made").

I've been missing these kind of songs from Kalafina. The slower, dark, rock song. It's not new, but damn is it ever pretty and haunting (in a good way). After how in every nothing disappointed me, this is definitely much better. And finally, a guitar solo that actually matters to the song and not just there for filler.

My only complaint is that there's not enough Hikaru and Keiko.

Well... to me it doesn't sound like either of them.

紅の涙と焔に焼かれて (not sure if I got this right)

Like "kurenai no" doesn't sound like Hikaru at all. The way she goes higher afterwards is totally Hikaru but that last note once again isn't. Not that it sounds like Wakana either... Hence my confusion. Maaybe they switch/mix seamlessly... but that would be like a first time effort for Kajiura, lol.

Anyways, regardless of who is singing I'd welcome more in this style.

Last edited by a moderator:
- In ring your bell I was disappointed it didnt have the longer strings intro that it has in some of the anime's episodes, but contrary I was really pleased by the quite different closing of the song (04:04-end), which was leveled, and slow, but well done

- In Koibito I will agree with Kirito, but will have to listen a bit more to it (three listens so far) to appreciate it more. The idea of the song (acapella / acoustic) is really nice, and the guitar in it durated at a good part of the song, making it part of it, and not just a must-have half-hearted addition. The song could possibly be even better if it had more chorus. I too feel that Keiko was missing in this single, she got like 2 lines per song?

ring your bell in silence sounds alot like the previous Kalafina overturish songs like interlude #1,2,finale , overtures, dolce. It would be a nice intro or outro to the normal ring your bell in lives.

Last edited:
I think I've found my new 'I'll never play this again in my life' track. Koibito, you'll join Mirai in the depths of my mind, please stay there. R.I.P.

Back