Kalafina single "Believe" 19/11/2014

(yes Kowz I know, I was trying to be respectful of the fans here =you can think of that 'bold sometimes' as often= )

it's pretty bad. the beginning has some nice electronic touch but the rest is copy paste from hb, in fact many other songs. I'm sure if someone were to transcribe the notes from the music, we could see how similar hb, believe and others are. Don't lynch me Kalafina fans, but sometimes I feel as if Kalafina was a project to make money.

Hope there's at least some of that Kajiura magic on other songs in the single.

I doubt anyone will lynch you for it. I do love them but I'm also critical as all hell about, well, pretty much everything. I can see the flaws in things no matter how much I enjoy them, and Kalafina, like everything else, has them. Believe seems way too similar to Heavenly Blue to me, and Heavenly Blue wasn't very good in the first place. Still, it's not that surprising that songs linked to a project aren't going to be that special in the first place due to them being created for a specific purpose. This is also part of the reason I skipped the Best albums, as most of my favourite songs are b-sides or album original tracks.

They've done surprisingly well all things considered, what with Moonfesta, Kimi no Gin, Magia, Lacrimosa and Hikari no Senritsu all being rather lovely and varied in style, plus the KnK stuff was rather great too. I have pretty high hopes for the b-sides though, Kajiura usually pulls through with them even when the a-sides aren't standout material. I thought they were going a little downhill after a few of After Eden's tracks and the Hikari Furu single, but then Consolation came out and it was extremely solid in my opinion. Kimi no Gin and Tsiouku also make that single one of the best in a long time as well, so I still have hope that they can produce something interesting, even if Heavenly Believe is generic as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been feeling really cynical about Kalafina lately as well. I don't know if Kajiura has lost interest with the project or if Sony Music is making certain demands but I really think the group needs to take a break.

I only wanna say that when the refrain comes (Megurikuru toki no naka de...) the first thing that comes to my mind is BoA's Every Heart (the inuyasha ed). Meguru meguru toki no naka dee...

i actually really like the song. the lyrics are pretty nice. it's also kind of catchy lol

^ guy is full otaku, I can see why he did so fast :)

wow it sounds much better with full e.guitar! :dote:

maybe we should tweet it to Kajiura to facpalm for not making it into a rock song XD

I actually like it. Listening to it for the 3rd or 4th time grows on me fast. It's a very pretty song. But, it's another Wakana-led song and it's unfortunate her vocals are shaky and weak here. I'd prefer it if Hikaru was leading instead.

Still waiting for the full version and see if my opinion of the song changes.

I agree with those who say this sounds more like an OP than an ED.

^ guy is full otaku, I can see why he did so fast :)

wow it sounds much better with full e.guitar! :dote:

maybe we should tweet it to Kajiura to facpalm for not making it into a rock song XD

Chances are he's not just an otaku, but a Type-Moon otaku. My experiences are that they're somewhat similar to Touhou fans in that they're creative and will quickly jump at any chance to arrange related material. There's already a couple of piano covers and an 8-bit arrange of Ideal White around.

The idea that they're being turned into just another idol group for a record label has been a concern of mine for a while now, although I thought it was me being paranoid as long as the music itself was good. If the songs are fine and the wellbeing/welfare of the people making it is respected I'm okay with it...but yeah, I share the worries that some of you have put here in the last page or two. Maybe I am being paranoid after all, but this new track is still a Kala-by-numbers, and it makes me apprehensive about what the next album will be like. I want to see them get the wider respect and popularity they deserve as much as anyone, but in reality money talks and big business often comes along and ruins everything. Kala seemed like an interesting and refreshing FJ side-project sort of affair, but I'd be heartbroken if it turned into a dull-as-dishwater cash cow to benefit people who are already rolling in cash (and having a negative effect on the rest of the music industry!) Eh. Sorry about the long rant. I need to get that rubbish out of my system every now and then.

I wouldn't worry about anyone being lynched...any more than usual as far as fandoms go. And fandom has a minority of people who fly off the handle when their precious little worldviews are challenged so yes, it can seem like discussing *anything*, no matter how respectfully and thoughtfully, is like walking on eggshells at times. There's not much of that around here though, so don't worry about it! :goodjob:

Yes to the new song not being memorable. Time will tell.
I remember liking Heavenly Blue the very instant I heard it, well because it is catchy, but what got my attention later was the lyrics.

I believe in believe. :ohoho:
Feels like the toned down long lost cousin of HB.

I like Hikaru's parts on heavenly blue, the rest is nothing special. At least to some extent the song is memorable. I've listened to this song on repeat so that I can get used to it, but no part of this song gets stuck in my head. So my opinion stands still, it's forgettable as f*ck. to the beginning > heavenly blue > believe.

I'm not defending Kajiura here but sometimes the director/staff has specific request on what type of song they wanted to be so this could be another order/request. Still, Kajiura could get a little bit creative rather than creating the same type of song right after another. Other reason could be because Japanese like this type of song so Kajiura makes this song as it is so that Kalafina could get an even greater popularity.

I wouldn't have a big problem if Kalafina has started with this type of song and it has become their trademark, just like FripSide's songs for example, which all sound and feel almost the same, at least in my opinion. The problem is that Kalafina started with such a great start with the 7 songs for KnK, and they somehow turn (or degenerate)into more 'mainstream' area as their popularity grow. I would really appreciate it if they (Kalafina and Kajiura) could maintain/keep their original style that makes them distinctive compared to other more 'mainstream' acts rather than depending on their anime tie-ins popularity and their beauty with so-so songs to attract more fans. It could be effective to attract new fans but they could lose their older ones. I still have hope with Kalafina because they do have really good songs and Kajiura can still surprise me when she puts her mind into it. Plus I have to say that I really really like their voices.

See I think it's different from hb just because there's no "chanting" (Hikaru's part in HB, at least that's what I thought it was like, yes, there's a melody so I would never ever call it rap... Yuki's music is far better, though she made that little bit for the Madoka movie, though that had instruments to it too... anyways) like part in it. It transitions a lot better like George said. I don't think it is a good ending, or ballad, but it is an upbeat ballad I guess? I do like the Wakana to Hikaru back to Wakana. I really liked to the beginning, way more than HB, and the dresses are one of my favorites, but I know I should focus more on the song, so I will say that I don't think both of the songs are similar to it, as I just listened to believe and now ttb, I think they are different, especially the Keiko parts. (Though we haven't heard the full version of believe yet.) What I am trying to say is the three songs are different, but yes, they aren't their best. I think I like ttb the best out of the three, but we'll see. I am curious about the other songs, especially lapis, since I am thinking of a ballad for that one. I am wondering what it will sound like. And yes, the PV does remind me of progressive. Maybe because of the quality of the person's camera it looked bluer? But that is funny. Maybe this was meant to be the heavenly blue PV. Oh, and ttb and HB have violin... you can barely hear the violin in believe. I hope there's a solo.

Just to clarify I was saying I liked both songs, and will wait until full version of believe to make final judgment, but it's too far away! (Oh and I hope the clock tower makes it into the PV, since it is on the postcards and really cool looking with the new outfits.)

Back