Kalafina PV 'stories'~

N

ninetales

This is inspired by Ponti, who's come up with a lot of stories for Kalafina PVs, given the fact that they don't really have storylines of their own. Thanks to her, I've been watching some of the PVs myself and coming up with my own stories for them :dote:

Fairytale:
Kalafina is three young women living in the forest. Wakana's future husband left her the day of their wedding, saying that he would be back within minutes, but he never returned; Hikaru was left alone at the altar by her fiance; like Miss Havisham in Great Expectations, they still wear their wedding dresses. Keiko's husband was killed tragically far away, and so she wears black in mourning for him, as Queen Victoria once did.

These three don't bother to wind their clock or keep back the encroaching forest from their home - they are alone, and they would never want to change that. Their fairytales were destroyed long ago, and they continue to mourn the destructions.

Wakana sings of how her fiance vanished into the darkness. Keiko sings bitterly about how she cannot reach her love now. Hikaru is the quietest, unwilling to tell her story. They wander through the old and veil-draped house they inhabit, mourning their losses, as the clock never ticks and time never passes.

Eventually they fade away into memories of sadness and fleeting joy, leaving their home and their forest; the chair, the stairs, the old tree; and the silent clock.

Hikari no Senritsu:
Here, the girls are some sort of magicians, newly arrived in the area. They stand in a place near what once was a thriving town, now long decimated by some old battle or plague. Sensing the sadness inherent in the place, they begin to cast spells to heal it.

Hikaru is a magician of the sky, and so she lifts her arms to it as she casts her spell; Wakana is a magician of the trees, and so she spreads out her arms to the surrounding forests; Keiko is a magician of the earth, so she keeps her eyes downcast to it as she sings. As they sing, they remember their time in a happy town, and use those memories to supplement their spells.

Their spells eventually require music, so they play their instruments. Hikaru plays the tambourine, like the crackling of lightning across the sky; Wakana plays the accordion, like the gentle crunch of leaves; Keiko plays the ukelele, like the murmuring of blades of grass. Soon the place begins to become happy again.

Entering the ruined town, they wander through it. First they find the old theater and stand on its balcony; then they dance down the streets playing their instruments. The lights come on as they sing, and the town begins to come to life again. They continue using memories of happy places as inspiration.

Throughout the flute solo, the shots of happiness and dancing are intercut with motionless shots because they know they are nearly overtaxing their powers. The town has been through a lot in its time, and it will take perhaps more than they can give to revive it. The tower remains bare, the branches of the bushes dry and dead. But they continue to sing and play, both inside and outside the town.

Despite the daunting size of their task, the lights are still on in the town, so they take a short rest and look at their handiwork. Then, still tired, they resume their singing, leaning against the walls of the town or standing outside it. This is their final push to restore the town to thriving happiness again - if they can't, all is lost.

As the final chorus ends, they succeed, and dance in the streets once again as the lights still shine.

Kagayaku:
Wakana, Keiko and Hikaru represent three different kinds of love in this PV: Wakana is Romantic Love, Keiko is Brotherly Love, and Hikaru is Compassionate Love (the love people have for the entire planet and everything on it). They come to the candle room - the deepest part of someone's heart - to sing for the return and strengthening of Hope, which is represented by the sky in the wall, in that person.

Hikaru arrives last, because she is the most determined to bring Hope back to this person's heart. But as she arrives, she sees that the sky has clouds in it - Hope is being diluted by the world.

In response to terrible things in the world, the person weeps - represented by the falling rain. The three of them join in a chorus for Hope, but the candles go out - Hope is dying.

Hikaru, Compassionate Love, sings alone with the forest - the beauty of the world - behind her. But Wakana, Romantic Love, is left alone in a ruined room, looking for the light. The three of them join together again in the forest, trying to show this person that the world is still beautiful and that Hope still has a place in their heart.

But the clouded sky still burns, the demise of Hope. As Hikaru stays in the room, still holding out for Hope, Wakana and Keiko leave her. Romantic Love and Brotherly Love have been lost to this person, but Compassionate Love remains. And most of the candles still burn.

Magia coming soon! And I hope to hear some of Ponti's stories too :waii:

These are so interesting. I definitely want to read full stories or even a fan manga! awesomeness can't wait for Magia. :sohappy:

Wow you are very good at narration ninetales, you could even right a book or a collection of these stories of the Kalafina PVs! :sohappy: :sohappy: can wait for the rest (btw wondering what you will find for Progressive :XD: )

Thanks guys :dote:

As for Progressive...I'm wondering about that myself. :XD: Lacrimosa seems to be a hard one too...

Okay, here's Magia. I'd already written it down, just needed to find it first.

The consciousnesses of Wakana, Hikaru and Keiko have been trapped in the room with the mirror by lookalike imposters, who are standing in the billowing-fabric room and singing a magic spell to take over the world. Hence the strange closeups that fade in and out over the chandeliers, like in 0:52. In the meantime, the bodies of the real girls are in the cathedral with the lovely architecture, unmoving because their consciousnesses are trapped.

But around halfway through the song, their consciousnesses (who have been singing too, trying to get back to their bodies) finally get back to their bodies - Wakana raises her head, Hikaru's finger twitches, etc. In the meantime the imposters are sitting in the chairs, slowly becoming the rulers of the world. But Keiko sings her solo to defeat them, and by the end, they fade from the chandelier shot...because they have been defeated.

The real girls take back their bodies, and their power - represented by the reversed shot of the flower in Wakana's hand - comes back to them. Now they sing their song to return peace to the world. The ending shot of the fabric billowing upwards as their sit in the chairs represents the return of their authority.

:shy: I loved your stories ninetales they were awesome. Particularly Hikari no Senritsu and fairytale :sohappy:

^ Thanks! :dote:

I was actually surprised at how Fairytale turned out...I hadn't expected there to be such an obvious story. When I saw the white/black dresses again, the whole thing just clicked together... :ayashii:

I'm going to work on Lacrimosa/Storia/Sprinter/Progressive/any others I've missed now :glasses:

Taking a break from studying to read this (only done fairytale so far) and wow that's amazing!! You really transformed some "boring chairs & lamps" into stories with background :sohappy:

Thank you! :sohappy:

Lacrimosa:
With the shifting masks, this PV takes place during Carnivale in Venice, Italy. Wakana, Keiko and Hikaru were all supposed to meet their lovers that night, but none of them arrived to see them; taking off their masks, they hide in a back room somewhere, wondering why they've been jilted.

However, what Wakana and Keiko don't know is that Hikaru set up the entire thing. She's a troublemaker - evidenced by her dangerous expression during the Kajiurago parts. Pretending to be their friend, she secretly schemed to undermine their lives while acting as though she, too, was having the same problems.

The next day comes. They wear flowers in their hair and look for their lovers. But they are nowhere to be found again, and Hikaru pretends to grieve along with them, while she privately laughs at their pain.

There is really no concrete end to this story: Hikaru could keep fooling Wakana and Keiko, or they could discover her treachery and flee. No one knows...

Storia:
Kalafina are wandering Gypsies. They have no cart or horse, only their own feet; they carry their possessions with them as they journey. But no matter where they go, people welcome them. They insist on setting up a tent to sleep in when they arrive at a certain town, but the townsfolk put up lights and flags, and have a festival to welcome the three lovely Gypsies.

They are kind and generous, bringing trinkets from faraway places and handing them out freely to the townsfolk. Everyone sees them as beautiful, but also transient, because they fade away almost as soon as they've arrived.

Each of them drift through the town and are welcomed by the townspeople, appearing and disappearing like shadows. (This is symbolized in a roundabout way by their appearing and disappearing in the room.)

That night, the townspeople brighten the lights and have a feast for them. The next morning they prepare to set out on their way, thanking the townsfolk for their kindness in hosting them. Then they take down their tent and, one by one, disappear down the road again for their next destination.

Storia is a tad predictable, I know... :desksweat: But it's tough to plot that one, actually.

EDIT

Sprinter:
Kalafina are prisoners in time. Keiko and Maya are from the Victorian times, Wakana is from the early 1900s, and Hikaru from the '20s. All four's parents were tricked into sending their daughters to a girls' school in London - but it is actually run by a madwoman who, having lost her own four daughters to influenza, wants nothing more than to keep four girls with her forever. This woman invented a device that creates a special field around the school's building, thus keeping it trapped in time; no matter how much time passes by outside, no time ever passes within the building.

Originally the girls tried to escape, but found it impossible. Eventually they gave up entirely and remained as still as time itself, mourning the loss of their families and lives; in the meantime, the madwoman watches them constantly as they sing of what they've lost.

At last they become so obsessed with the outside world that they sing of running and freedom, and chasing down things they can never regain. They know that if they do someday escape, they will be in a world that they are completely unfamiliar with - but they cannot help wishing and dreaming.

They wonder sometimes if anyone remembers them, but they know instinctively that their families and friends do, or at least did in the past that they came from. Finally they accept their condition and sing: "We're alive. We're here," in sweet memories.

It could be said that, while Wakana, Keiko and Hikaru escaped the madwoman, Maya somehow didn't... :spotlight:

EDIT 2

I'm not even going to think about Progressive right now. When I come up with a story, it's probably going to be mostly symbolism, but I'm saving that for later :ohoho:

Great job! Magia and HnS are especially enticing, and justice has been done to Sprinter. :XD: Now I can watch this PV with more interest. :ayashii: Although as you said, this draws a sad context for Maya. :uh..: :comeback:
As to Progressive... dunno about the dance, but the alternate hairstyle shots always reminded me of some... ice queens? :XD: :ayashii: and the whole decoration set has a somewhat "icy" feel, I'd say.

This is inspired by Ponti, who's come up with a lot of stories for Kalafina PVs, given the fact that they don't really have storylines of their own.

Well, gosh. :ohoho:

Thanks to her, I've been watching some of the PVs myself and coming up with my own stories for them :dote:

I like them. :ayashii: Mine are really ridiculous and don't make any sense at all, so they're probably even worse than the actual PV, while yours are very serious and romantic, in a way. Kind of like an English Lit. analysis!

And I hope to hear some of Ponti's stories too :waii:

Well, I have a Psychology essay and a Politics essay to do right now, but I'll share my... uh, thoughts on them later...? They're not as good as Ninetales's, though.

Other people should, too.

Re:

Kerahna said:
Taking a break from studying to read this (only done fairytale so far) and wow that's amazing!! You really transformed some "boring chairs & lamps" into stories with background :sohappy:
I agree! Kalafina, although their music is wonderful, tends to... "sit and be pretty" throughout most of their PV's.

A bazzillion YAYs to ninetails! :dote:

tends to... "sit and be pretty" throughout most of their PV's.

I like it this way! How else would I be able to admire how pretty they are the first time round and then make up a ridiculous theory on how Hikaru is a coal thief the second time round?

@ninetales Even though we talked about making this, it was you who finally got round to it, huh? I guess I just forgot.
Congratulations〜 :sparkleguy:

Ahh~ I love your PV stories! You're a really good writer. I loved Sprinter & Lacrimosa's stories! :shy:

Thank you everyone! :bow:

tsubasa said:
Sprinter is very close to the KnK 5 story :ayashii:

Really? I didn't know that! I just started with their costumes and went from there :XD:

Nick Hunter said:
As to Progressive... dunno about the dance, but the alternate hairstyle shots always reminded me of some... ice queens? :XD: :ayashii: and the whole decoration set has a somewhat "icy" feel, I'd say.

Interesting idea! I think I can expand on that... :ayashii:

Pontianak said:
Other people should, too.

Definitely! I want to hear other people's stories! :goodjob:

Re:

Pontianak said:
tends to... "sit and be pretty" throughout most of their PV's.

I like it this way! How else would I be able to admire how pretty they are the first time round and then make up a ridiculous theory on how Hikaru is a coal thief the second time round?

@ninetales Even though we talked about making this, it was you who finally got round to it, huh? I guess I just forgot.
Congratulations〜 :sparkleguy:

You must have very good judgment and interpretation skills then. o-o It's hard for me to think of stories from their PV's unless if there's movement (Ex: their cuteness in Hikari No Senritsu!)!

Mine for symphonia PV:

Kalafina are 3 ladies that love to tell fairytales by singing and that seems to be the story they sing:

A boy around 11 years old is sleeping in the field, he dreams of the girl that appears later so he wakes up and starts running, tring to finds a way to call her close to him, then he find that flower (which in greek we call klefti (thief) because it flees away) and blows it away. The flower stymons fly on the air (the shot with the flowers) and reach the girl.

Girl: "uh I'm lost in the forest :uh..: ... huh ? what's that thing on the air?! oh it must be from that tasty boy that always peeks on me at school, lets go find him :plot: "

then she gets lost

" :uh..: where am I? Oh a Red flower, I will take one to put on my hair to look even more beautiful :innocent: , damn it it doesn't cut off easily :bloodlust: agh my finger! >_< "

Boy: Why is she so late?! >_< I will ring that goat's bell so she hears it. *glang glang* he rings the bell but accidentally hits a rock too.

Girl: Oh that must be him! Ugly sound but I like it! :dote: :dote: :shy: *walks to find him*

They get close.

Boy: oh here you are my future wife!
Girl: :shy: :shy: You are such a knight :love:
Boy: Lets get affianced my love,
Girl: Yes, please! *rubbs on him*

The boy and the girl run to go tell their parents.

and then it finishes :XD:

Back