"Kalafina Arena LIVE 2016" September 10-11 (Kobe World Memorial), 16-17 (Budokan)

It's not that, it's how did you manage to get it past customs so quickly. Mine was already in the country by the 18th but I gotta wait on Parcelforce to bother sending me their charge request.

Edit: Got the request, but they can't deliver until Tuesday now. Useless shits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen the main part of the performance, pretty impressed honestly. Dancing was silly, the visuals and lighting was great, music was awesome, percussionist dude was cool, Wakana sounded a little light sometimes but otherwise great performance, Keiko sounded like Keiko, Hikaru got a little shouty in some songs but otherwise also a great performance. Signal still doesn't sound nearly as good as a live recording as it does live, not that I expected any different. Blaze sounded a bit better live I guess, but it's not enough of an improvement to make me really like it, unlike One Light which I always prefer as a live. Into the World sounds lovely though, really looking forward to the single release now. Kinda makes me think a bit of Ring Your Bell, if Ring Your Bell was done better and not dragged out for too long. There's also bits of Yume no Daichi in there, but once again done better. After hearing it live and seeing it on this release, I'm almost certain that Symphonia is one of the best songs to end a concert on now.

Nothing at all made me think 'ugh' or 'this didn't sound good' like I got with Red Day or some parts of Consolation and Blue Day, so that's decent. Skipped Believe because I don't care to give it even a few seconds of my existence.

I'd probably place it near the top when it comes to live releases, alongside Red Moon, After Eden and Far on the Water.

I'll probably watch the bonus tracks and the documentaries tomorrow before I go to work, I have plans tonight.

Skipped Believe because I don't care to give it even a few seconds of my existence.
But let's count how many seconds of your existence you spend talking about how much you hate it :XD:

(I'm kidding! I'm kidding! I just had to... :plot:)

Anyways, I agree that "One light" is way more enjoyable live than the recorded version. I love watching how crazy they get when they sing this song live. The visual really helps give the vibe that they are trying to reach out to an audience with this song. I always get the vibe that OL was a half-assed attempt of a single, since Mahiru's recording was so bad, and the fact that the single was released like a month before FOTW??? So the live performances really do salvage the disastrous reputation of the single.

I'd assume that someone decided 'hey, Kajiura, write a song for Arslan, and release it with an anime single at least because we want sales, also stick some other songs on there as well so your own fans will buy it' and she just responded with 'but I have an album coming out right after that...' and they refused to care.

And thus we got a pretty standard, basic sounding anisong, a simple and badly recorded piano ballad and a song that was probably a leftover from Kajiura's earlier days that she decided to have Kalafina sing to.

Thankfully Mahiru has been treated well with acoustic performances and One Light has been just about salvaged by lives, plus Samidare was always kinda cool in the first place. Now if only we'd get a live release for Samidare since it's the only song in the entire discography without one, I believe. Maybe except some of the interlude pieces from Re/Oblivious with the exception of the one on the 5th Live?

Does anyone have the concert in mp4 form without the subtitles?

Decided to watch the bonus tracks before work today. I'd have liked to have seen Signal with the live accordion but oh well. Safe to say, I'm really happy we got these tracks on the release as well, love most of these songs. Both Hanataba and Kimi no Gin sound lovely, no real qualms with either of them at all and the live accordion really helps them sound right.

Good performance of Hikari Furu too. One little part where Wakana makes a super obvious breathing sound, which made me realise that actually she hasn't done it much compared to some other performances, so hopefully she's finally starting to have more control over it. Still feels kinda weird to know I didn't originally like this song at all.

Can't really say I paid much attention to Mirai. Never have liked it.

Sprinter acoustic though, pretty cool stuff. I've always liked it when bands get the audience to sing along, it's something you can't get outside of a live performance after all. Neat.

...and watched the documentary as well. Keiko always seems to be wearing the dresses for the live whilst the other girls wear casual outfits whilst rehearsing it seems, I've noticed it before and it's the same here. As per usual lots of behind the scenes footage of them preparing for the live and the occasional part with them talking where I can't understand a single thing they're saying. One thing that really stood out to me was that one part where they were painting on the blocks for the stage display behind the scenes and noticed Wakana painting whilst wearing her live dress, immediately causing me to go WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! I wonder what they would've done if she'd gotten black paint on her dress before having to perform in it?

Mexico doc is pretty much what I expected, the girls enjoying the sights and talking to the camera for a lot. They seemed to be having a lot of fun, which is nice. I'm honestly expecting one day for them to be recording for one of these things and have someone recognise them, since they always do it in public places. Something about the live radio show scene felt pretty awkward though.

I forgot how floofy the big black dresses they wore for the Mexico live were. They really didn't show much from the live though which I guess I kind of expected, since they haven't shown much of their overseas performances in previous documentaries, but it seemed even less than usual here. At least you can see how busy the hall was here, seemed pretty full so hopefully SME counted it as a success and will do future lives overseas *cough* fuckingmakeithappenSME *cough*. Also yes, Hikaru jump at the end is great. I remember seeing that in one of the fan vids. I'm assuming the clip afterwards is them talking about the live, they seemed pretty happy with it? I still can't understand anything. Also a good shot of Keiko inverting her elbows again, as she tends to do in so many photos and always weirds me out. Interesting they went with Alleluia for the final clip, considering it got shafted by not showing up on FotW and the Mexico live was for that tour :spotlight:. For some reason these montages set to music always get to me, I don't know why. All these clips of Wakana not being able to see properly due to sunlight and Keiko chasing pigeons are the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh I just ordered it!!! And I will get the poster... but I have no room right now. lol I may have to take down some things. This is how much I love the girls. I ordered this, the single in vinyl and CD/BD, and Nana Mizuki's new album and the Christmas Premium pamphlet. *sigh* At least I'll be selling some stuff soon. lol :sohappy: Can't wait to see Tsuioku on my big screen tv!

overall I think I am pleased to hear this live.

"into the world" is really pleasant to listen to. not because it is original for Kajiura, but its execution of already too familiar Kajiura sound.

Watched the tracks for the other day.
Hanataba was OK. Not the best, not the worst. Hikaru seemed to struggle a little, tho.
Wakana was DIVINE on Hikari Furu. I agree it may be one of the best lives of the song.
I'm one of the few Mirai lovers. Not the best version of it, but the girls were having so much fun!
I liked this sprinter acoustic way more than the album version, but not as much as the 5th Anni.

Since my internet is painfully slow, I re watched some time while loading the rest of the concert. I took my time to appreciate how varied is Kalafina's audience. I found funny that at some point I spotted a couple of old ladies singing the "kimi ni aitai" with so much emotion, it was really sweet ♥

Overall, can't rate this concert properly because some parts were already aired, so it took away part of the "shock value" (?). I'd rather had wait for the release without seeing the streaming first, but anyway, great concert!

At least you can see how busy the hall was here, seemed pretty full so hopefully SME counted it as a success and will do future lives overseas *cough* fuckingmakeithappenSME *cough*.

Yup, it was a sold out show. The girls told us "thank you for the sold out show" during an MC and the front desk told the people that tried to buy tickets that they were sold out.

I like Mirai too! It's not my favorite song, but it is always uplifting. Just listened to it actually. I am so excited to be getting this, mainly for Tsuioku. I saw the rest, and of course the poster! I love into the world as well. Creeping up to maybe my second favorite song, first is obbligato. Wow, to be able to spot the audience... that is taking it very seriously. lol

Back