Kalafina 4th album “Consolation”

Regarding the German boy, I'm recalling it off the top of my head so I might have read it wrong the first time, but she said that he stole her first kiss. She punched/hit him for that though. lol

Someone then linked the shonen she mentioned in Door, and asked teasingly if the shonen in Door was the German boy from 木苺の茂みに, to which she laughed and said no.

There was a lot of interesting information in this tweet session.

I used to not pay much attention to al fine but now that Kajiura has mentioned it... the lyrics...! They all tie in to the other songs in the album. ;_; She made this song after the album was complete. Why didn't I see this before... Strangely this song is leaving me in tears. ;_;

^ Yes some people have menthioned it here before, every line of the song (almost) is from (or related to) a different song of the album.

Lord Starfish said:
First impression after listening through all the new tracks... Yume no Daichi and Door are definitely my favourites.
Al fine was also quite nice, and I find it interesting how every line in it seems to be referencing another song on the album... It can almost be seen as a 107-second promotion of the CD it's on...
"hikari ga furu" (Should go without saying.)
"hajimari e to" (To the beginning)
"DOA ga hiraku" (Door)
"GARASU no hana" (Hanabata)
"tsuki no matsuri" (Moonfesta)
"ten no *can't make this line out entirely*" (Manten)
"sora no ao to" (Signal)
"natsu no hikari" (Kiichigo no Shigemi ni)
"*Not sure what they're saying here*"
"hitori janai kokoro-tachi ga" (Mirai)
"tsunagu MELODY" (Not sure EDIT: Wait. Yume no Daichi. Obviously. Excuse me while I go punch myself in the face for missing the reference to the one new song I've heard the most times already.)
"kimi no tame no CONSOLATION" (Should go without saying)
So yeah, while I couldn't make out all of the lines and haven't really listened to every track enough to connect every line to a song, the pattern is pretty obvious.

Re:

Hatouchan said:
Regarding the German boy, I'm recalling it off the top of my head so I might have read it wrong the first time, but she said that he stole her first kiss. She punched/hit him for that though. lol

what??? i missed that! can you quote that tweet, please? :ohoho:

9.木苺の茂みに 私が昔住んでいた所は木いちごの茂みだらけだったのよ……。よくつまんでばくばく食っていたものだ。 #Ka4C
9. Kiichigo no Shigemi ni. The place I used to live in had a lot of raspberry thickets (Kiichigo no shigemi). I used to pick and eat them.

木いちごの茂みでソバカスだらけのドイツのがきんちょにキスを奪われたのもよひ思い出でござる( ̄ー ̄)。ぶんなぐったけどな。 #Ka4C
I don't understand the ドイツのがきんちょ part :desksweat:
But if I'm not mistaken, "Near the raspberry thickets, I remember having a kiss stolen by a very freckled German boy ( ̄ー ̄). I punched him hard though.”
:omg:

はっそんなくだらない事を呟いていたら曲が終わってしまった! #Ka4C
HaっTalking about such meaningless things the song ended!

About Manten
転調は歌う方にはそこまで問題にならないけど、コードで弾くバンドさんには結構大変ですよね〜(人ごとのように) #Ka4C
The key changes in this song isn't too much of a problem for those singing it but it must have been quite a pain for the band members playing chords

ま、私弾かないから (´ー`)┌フッ(をい) #Ka4C
Well, not like I'm the one playing it (´ー`)┌フッ (woi)

自分でがーっと歌ってみて、あとでヒアリングして譜面にします。RT @sol_an_ge42:
歌詞カードには記載されていないコーラスの歌詞は
いつもどんな風にして作詞なさっているのですか?(=゚ω゚=)
梶浦さんの曲をカラオケで歌うときにいつも疑問に思っています。 #Ka4C
Q: How do you usually come up with the chorus lyrics (which are not included in the lyrics booklet)? I'm curious every time I sing Kajiura's songs in Karaoke.
A: I try singing it to myself first, then hear it (after recording herself?) before converting it into written music.

うーん、基本的にレコーディングは全て順調だったので、時間がかかった曲もエピソードもあまり無いんです……。強いて言えばsignalが、構成練り直したり遊んでいたのでレコーディングが数日に及んだ、くらいでしょうか……。 #Ka4C
Hmmm, usually the recording sessions run quite smoothly so there weren't any episodes or particularly any songs that took a long time (to record)... If anything, perhaps signal took a few days as we revised and played around with the arrangement(composition?)...

When signal plays,
┌|≧∇≦|┘└|≧∇≦|┐┌|≧∇≦|┘ #Ka4C
:XD:

Obbligato
この長いイントロが本当にこの曲に必要だったのかと言われると……趣味!m9っ`Д´)
When people ask me if it's really necessary to have such a long intro.... it's my hobby! m9っ`Д´)

はい! RT @mary_sandpiper: @fion0806 三拍子や六拍子の曲が沢山あるのは梶浦さんの好みですか? #Ka4C
I understand nothing about music so someone will probably have to correct me on this :desksweat:
"Q: There are a lot of songs with 3 or 6 beats(tempo/beat/rhythm?). Is that what you like?
A: Yes!"

そもそも拍子ってのは後付けなものなんで、何拍子の曲作ろうと思って作る訳じゃないしね……。 #Ka4C
But to begin with, the beat is added in later so it's not like I decide on what beat to compose with okay...

違いますw。RT @cardinallotus: @Fion0806 Doorの少年は、さっきの木苺の茂みのソバカスドイツボーイですか?? #Ka4C
Q: Is the boy in Door the German boy at the raspberry thickets??
A: No (laughs)
:XD:

初めにコンセプトや求めるものをお話する時間を頂いています。あとは話し合いながら……。RT @konin0903: @Fion0806 PVの構成も参加されるのですか? #Ka4C
Q: Do you take part in the making of PVs?
A: First I take some time to talk about the concept and what (kind of image?) to aim for. After that while discussing....

……時間が出来た時からでございます!RT @jya_am: アルバムってどのくらい前から準備するもんなんですか? @Fion0806 #Ka4C
Q: How long before do you prepare for an album?
A: ....The moment I have time to!

Some random things haha. Sorry it's super messy...

I have some twits on my posts could you try translating them too, please :bow: ?

転調は歌う方にはそこまで問題にならないけど、コードで弾くバンドさんには結構大変ですよね〜(人ごとのように) #Ka4C

The key changes in this song isn't too much of a problem for those singing it but it must have been quite a pain for the band members playing chords

Quote:
ま、私弾かないから (´ー`)┌フッ(をい) #Ka4C

Well, not like I'm the one playing it (´ー`)┌フッ (woi)

^ LOL :ohoho:

I'm guessing that がきんちょ is probably just a way of saying kid/brat. Comes from ガキ if I'm not wrong. It's just a guess though.

Also, I think she said that Signal was the most polarizing song in the album. People either hate it or love it. Too lazy/tired/busy crying my eyes out for no good reason to search for the tweets ...

Wow! How many interesting things about Yuki, please, keep on translating her tweets (when you can do it) - it's really funny. Yuki... :dote:
Thanks to all for translates! :sohappy:

After staring at the sentence a little more is it shortened from がきにちょっと or something like that?

Wow I'm a total noob at using forums. I don't know how to quote what you wrote :XD: And please forgive any mistranslations haha. My vocab is quite limited so I use Rikaikun to help with reading :desksweat:

木苺のストーリーは確かみんなに、「秘密の花園のヒロイン的なイメージ。決して美人じゃないかもしれないけど目がでっかくて線のほっそい女の子でめっちゃ思い込み強い」そんなヒロイン設定していた気がするなあw。
The story of Kiichigo is surely to everyone, "An image of a heroine's secret garden. There will probably be a strong impression of a girl who may not be pretty but has big eyes and a slim figure." It feels like it has that kind of heroine establishment (laughs).

一体このストーリーというか場面は本当にあった事なのか、彼女(達)は本当にそこにいたのか、それとも夢だけなのか、今も永遠にそこにいるのか、これは誰が見ている夢なのか、今は初夏なのか冬の最中なのか……リアルなのかアンリアルなのか…色々聞かれたけれども。
Whether the story or the scene really existed, if she (they) was really there, or if it was just a dream, if now and forever they were there, or if it were a dream seen in someone else's eyes, if it is the start of summer or the middle of winter.... if it were reality or not... even if there are a lot of questions asked.

本人がそれを心から信じていれば、それが現実であっても妄想であってもそれはどうでもいい事なんじゃないかな?それは本物なんです
If the person himself/herself believes it to be true, does it not matter whether that is reality or one's delusions? For that is the real thing.

なのでリアルかアンリアルかはたいした問題じゃないの。それだけの話でございます。( ̄∇ ̄*)ゞエヘ。
That's why the main question isn't whether it's real or unreal (reality or not?). That's all there is to it. ( ̄∇ ̄*)ゞエヘ。

[EDIT: Add-on. Supposed to be studying but got lazy instead :desksweat: ]
この娘がどんな娘かも、別にそうは言ったけどみんなが心に浮かべるままでいいの。Kalafina三人がそれぞれ全く違った情景や女の子を思い浮かべていても、それがこの歌を歌う上での彼女達の真実ならそれでいいのであります。
What kind of girl she is, as long as it's an image from your heart that's fine. Each of the girls in Kalafina may have a different scene or image of the girl in mind, but if they sing this song and that is their truth/reality then that is fine.
(Sorry I think my translation for this doesn't do the source justice... A better constructed translation would be greatly appreciated)

作る人歌う人、聞く人が曲の中に見つける真実はそれぞれ違っていていいの。
The person who composed it, the person who sang it, the person who listens, if the truth found within the song differs from person to person, that's fine.

……でした〜ヽ(*^^*)ノ。ではではまたね。皆様本当にありがとうございました!!
.... That was it〜ヽ(*^^*)ノ. Well then, see you again. Thank you everyone!!

追記しておくとね、多分音楽って、みんなそれぞれ自分の心の中にある何か綺麗なものとか思い出とか懐かしさ、痛さとか色々なものを手に取る、手助けというか小さなきっかけに過ぎないように感じております。
I'll write a postscript. Perhaps music is, I feel, from person to person, a beautiful thing or memory inside one's heart, nostalgia, pain, and many other things experienced, that becomes a helping hand or nothing more than a small stepping stone.

だから何か音楽に綺麗な景色が見えたとしたら、それは音楽そのものではなく聞いている方の心の中にあるキレイなんだと思うのです。
So I think even if there's a beautiful scenery to be glimpsed from a song, that's not because of the song itself, rather it is something beautiful within the listener's heart.

そんな、皆様が自分の中にあるナニカを見つける為の、BGMになれたらいいな、そんな音楽を作れたたらいいなって思っています(^○^)。
(Can someone help me translate this line? I don't really understand it orz)

だから、作り手の意思なんてある意味無視していいんですw。私は自分の心にあるナニカを差し出すだけですから、解釈も心も、好きなように、貴方の自由に、聞いて頂けたら一番幸福ですヽ(*^^*)ノ。ではではね。
That's why, it's okay to not bother about what the intentions of the composer were (laughs). I'm just presenting whatever I have in my mind/heart, so if you could freely interpret as you like while listening, that would make me the happiest ヽ(*^^*)ノ. See you.

Omg how did she manage to write something so thought provoking in the span of a few minutes... Kajiura-san is amazing.

As usual, please point out any translation errors, thanks!

Omake

あ、今思い出したけどKalafinaメンバーの意見入ってる所あったなあ。花束の「獣の声を上げ」という所で、さすがに獣って歌詞はどうなのかってスタッフさんの一人に言われた時に、けいこちゃんが「そこの歌詞好きなので変えないで下さい!」って。だからそのままにしたの。 #Ka4C
Ah, I just remembered something about whether Kalafina's members had any opinions included in their songs. In Hanataba's lyrics, [Kemono no koe wo age], when a staff commented about "Kemono" (beast) (how appropriate it was?), Kei-chan said "I like those lyrics so please don't change it!". So we left it as it is.

To quote me click the "[smallcaps]quote[/smallcaps]" button (top right corner of each post) and delete the unecessary text within the quote, if needed.

OH RIGHTTTT :XD:
Hahaha thanks. I thought that would change the quoting function.

I was referring to those I was remembering off the top of my head. It's kind of late, so I'll just start scanning the tweets a little from the start of the first cycle. What I translate will be influenced by what I find interesting ... so... bear with me! I'll translate most of what she remarks about each song first, skipping those already translated.

1.al fineなう。Consolation全曲のエッセンスを詰め込んだ歌詞になっております……。
al fine now. The lyrics are packed with the essence of all the songs in Consolation......

「神よ何処へ行きたもう」ラテン語ですね。ペテロとイエス様のエピソードで有名な言葉ですが。RT @cardinallotus: @Fion0806 Quo vadis Dome(?)ってどんな意味なのですか?また何語ですか? #Ka4C
quo vadis.....使ったからと言って何かキリスト教的な意味合いがある訳じゃないのであります。この場合の「神」はあくまで自分自身の中にいる存在でございまする。 #Ka4C
Q: What does "Quo Vadis Domine" mean? What language is it in?
A: Lord(God), where are you going? in latin. It's a famous line from an episode of (Saint) Peter and Jesus. I used "Quo Vadis" but it's not that I intended for there to be any Chirstian implications/nuance. In this case, "God" is really just referring to an existence within myself/oneself.

/random off the top of my head. I'm spontaneously random like that.
Someone asked if there was a recording of Door from her younger days, and asked if she would consider adding it as a special extra in some limited edition release in the future. She said that she can't since none of the songs were recorded while she was performing in her band back then.

5.未来 あかるい曲♪あかるい曲♪ヽ(*^^*)ノ #Ka4C
これは本当に元曲というかまどかマギカが無ければKalafinaではやろうと思わなかったタイプの曲かなと。作品との出会いに感謝です。
5. Mirai. A bright, bright song♪. If the original song (Credens Justitiam) or Madoka Magica didn't exist, I really never would have thought of making this type of song with Kalafina. For this, I am grateful to have met this series.

6.花束 Kalafina初アコーディオン曲ですね。四枚目だからこそ出来た。
6. Hanataba. The first time an Accordion was used in a Kalafina song. I could do it only because it was the 4th album.
あ、今思い出したけどKalafinaメンバーの意見入ってる所あったなあ。花束の「獣の声を上げ」という所で、さすがに獣って歌詞はどうなのかってスタッフさんの一人に言われた時に、けいこちゃんが「そこの歌詞好きなので変えないで下さい!」って。だからそのままにしたの。 #Ka4C
Ah.. Now that I recall, there was a song where I received some input from Kalafina's members. In 花束 (Hanataba), there was a line 「獣の声を上げ」 (Raise the voice of the beast). One of the staff questioned the use of "beast" in the lyrics. Keiko then said "I like those lyrics so please don't change it!!" So I left it as it was.

7.signal これはレコーディングしながら作った曲だなあ。是永さんに沢山遊んで貰ってその後で組み立てた所も多いです。
7. Signal. This song was made(completed/finished/composed) as we recorded it. I let Korenaga-san play around with it for me. A lot of areas in the song was formed after that.
……アルバム中皆様から頂くご感想で、一番賛否両論多い曲ですがw。すみません趣味曲で。
Amongst the songs in the album, Signal was the song for which I received the most positive and negative feedback (ie. it was a polarizing song) (laughs). Sorry. It's (the song) what I enjoy/like/my taste.
ここは実は貝田さんのハイコーラス録った後でメロディー組み立てた所。 #Ka4C
This part with Kaida-san's high chorus, we recorded it and only then formed the melody after.
シーケンス的なシンセのフレーズが80年代ディスコ時代的だよねw。 アコーディオンも暴れております。この曲にアコーディオン入れるって言ったらスタッフさんからえ?って言われたんだけど絶対合うと思ったんだ。 #Ka4C
Sequence wise, the synth's phrase is like something out of the disco period in the 80s, isn't it? (laughs) The accordion's rather wild here as well. When I said I wanted to add the Accordion to this song, the staff went "Eh?" (in shock) but I felt that it would definitely fit.

8.obbligato この曲はターナーの暗い海のイメージ。暗い海というより、そこに差し込むターナーの光のイメージ。そこに小舟。……サウンドはぜんぜんターナーって感じじゃないけどねw。
8.obbligato This song has an image of Turner's (she said he's a British painter, so it's probably J. M. W. Turner) dark sea. But more than a dark sea, it's more of an image of Turner's light pouring in there. .......The sound feels nothing like Turner though (laughs).

And I'm going to stop here. Too tired...

Okay, thank you very much!! Please have a nice rest! She really seems to study alot of things to make the songs lyrics :dote: So signal's arrangement is basically Korenaga's :ayashii: then why the booklet doesnt menthion him ?

jac177 said:
Omg how did she manage to write something so thought provoking in the span of a few minutes... Kajiura-san is amazing

Maybe she had thought that people would ask something like that, and had prepared the answer in her mind. :XD:

Ohhh thanks Hatou-chan for the translations! I didn't understand some of those like the ones about Turner :XD:

Keiko is so passionate! :shy: The Kemono no Koe thing really called my attention in the lyrics as well, it's such a contrast to the rest of the song, makes it even more interesting.

Thanks for the translation! I think Signal and Hanataba are my favorites in the album, I love all the anger in Signal, it's very palpable and should be fantastic to perform live. On the other hand, Hanataba is full of emotion too, but feels kind of forlorn and full of longing.

Re:

joel_jman said:
Long Interview here
http://repotama.com/2013/03/49260/

This one's interesting...
04.Door
Hkaru:梶浦さんがアマチュア時代に作られた曲で、私たちが歌ってきた楽曲の中では少し若さを感じる曲になっています。フワッとしている中に芯がある、という不思議な曲です。
当たりが柔らかく、色々と想像が膨らむナンバーだと思います。

That's nice. SO I guess we'll be expecting MORE old song/compositions performed by Kalafina

Thanks for the link!

Kalafina have actually performed more old songs
- Mune no Yukue > was originally unreleased See-Saw song
- I have a dream > (not confirmed but probably also unreleased: See-Saw song [lyrics of the song were in the "I have dream" album's booklet, as decoration])
- Destination Unknown > In JASRAC database, this song is registered both as FictionJunction YUUKA and Kalafina in different years of the listing.

If you add "Hitomi no Chikara" from FJ's Parallel Hearts single too, we've got 5 old songs along with "Door".

btw I am slowly adding links for the lyrics pages of the new Kala songs as i do them, today I did "Door" viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4116&p=226231#p226231

Thank you all for the translations! :bow:

Woah, Kajiura-sama really is the queen! :ohoho:
I missed the event thou, time really wasnt fitting for me :uh..:

Hello! :hi:

I'm so sorry for being absent all the time but I really just don't have the time and energy to write many posts these days. Military sucks terribly and it is very exhausting! :blood:

However, I finally listened to the new Kalafina album (several times!) and here is my little review:

1. al fine Ah, my theory was wrong... :spotlight: Still, it is a very beautiful intro and it's unfortunately too short. Really like it especially the part when they sing "consolation" at the end! :nosebleed: 4/5 Points

2. consolation Like I already said, this song reminds me of many other songs from Kalafina and as a result it just doesn't feel original at all. Now, after I listened to it a few times I like it better but it is still the worst song of the album in my opinion! :cry: I nevertheless like the song all in all. 3/5

3. moonfesta I actually was never a big fan of this song (because of the verses :uh..: ), I prefered "Yane no mukou ni" (which isn't on the album :orz: ) But somehow I like it better on the album than I liked it as a standalone. It's probably the contrast to "consolation" which highlights the song. 4/5

4. Door :omg: I love "Door"! :dote:
I really don't know what to write here other than I'm completely in love with this song! Great key changes! And their voices... :nosebleed:
Best new song! 6/5

5. Mirai Here it's the opposite of moonfesta. I loved it deeply on the single but here it is nothing else than another great song. 5/5

6. Hanataba :fwa: Really didn't expect something like this! :ohoho:
But it's a very cool mixture! Really really cool! 5/5

7. signal Ok... This song really has yet to grow on me! The style really fits to Kalafina and there is no doubt, it's a very innovative song but it all sounds very chaotic to me, especially the bass line. Have to listen to it more. (Btw, I love Wakanas "aaaa" :waii: ) 4/5

8. obbligato This song rocks! :sohappy: One of the best intros I've ever heard! (Yuki's voice is so cool :nosebleed: ) Rocking verses, great refrain melody, perfect combination! 5/5

9. Kichigo no shigemi ni This is a very Kajiura-typical song! Simple and whithout ostenation but very beautiful :dote: . 4/5

10. Manten This was and is still one of my favorite Kalafina songs of all time! Great!!!! 6/5

11. to the beginning Forever an awesome track! 5/5

12. Hikari furu Very emotional! :touched: Still love it. ("Sagitta luminis" is better though) 5/5

13. Yume no daichi Didn't like this song at the beginning, but after hearing it on the album, I do. It contains many familiar harmonies (from the last album), but other than in "consolation", everything fits here. Though, it has not the slightest chance against similar songs like "symphonia" or "Eden". These were just masterpieces imo! (My favorite tracks on "After Eden" :ohoho: ) 4/5

My ranking (will probably constantly change :XD: ):

1.Manten
2.Door
3.obbligato
4.to the beginning
5.Hanataba
6.Hikari furu
7.Mirai
8.Kichigo no shigemi ni
9.Yume no daichi
10.moonfesta
11.al fine
12.signal
13.consolation

All in all I'm very pleased with this new album, although I sense an absence of something... can't explain. It's probably because there is basically one song missing. Whithout intro, there are only 12 songs on this record. :cry:

I'm sorry for this thrown out review. I'm so tired, unable to write anything ingenious... There is so much left to say though :stupidtable: ! I miss the good old times, where I could waste my (now non existent) time here! I miss you guys! I'd really like to be around more, but this has to wait till august, I have no choice.

Happy Easter to everyone on CPM!

My favorite now is door, but just like sandpiper from after eden, i cant listen to it repeatedly

Just like how i cant repeatedly listen to a yuuka or chiaki song

:tea:

Back