Kalafina 10th Anniversary Live at Nippon Budokan (2018-01-23) (BD/DVD Release June 13/2018)

I'd be fine with fairytale being skipped, it's honestly the weakest single from the album by quite a long shot for me. I suspect there'll be a lot of SH and RM material though, which I'm totally OK with.

considering fairytale is in 3 of their live DVDs/BDs and almost always around on their Kalafina with strings concerts I would say that fairytale is definitely popular, @Westkana.
They're probably doing that because it was one of the songs from Kara no Kyoukai, and it was easy to turn into a ballad. How often Kala performs it isn't necessarily correlated to how popular it is; for instance as far I've seen Lirica is really popular (picked as one of the songs from the FJC best 20 live iirc) but is barely performed at all.

OK golden point = no more fairytale LIVE please

Maybe they don't perform serenato because of HIKARU's voice?

Yeah I'll be pissed if I see any of these on the setlist:
-Kyrie
-red moon
-consolation
-far on the water
-moonfesta (lmao)
-misterioso
-snow falling
-dolce
-ring your bell (hate WAKANA's screech at the end nowadays)
-to the beginning
-manten

There's more to this list lmao but I'll stop here

Yeah I'll be pissed if I see any of these on the setlist:
-Kyrie
-red moon
-consolation
-far on the water
-moonfesta (lmao)
-misterioso
-snow falling
-dolce
-ring your bell (hate WAKANA's screech at the end nowadays)
-to the beginning
-manten

There's more to this list lmao but I'll stop here

you know that except for Kyrie, moonfesta, snow falling and dolce, the rest of the song will definitely be on the setlist right?
I'm still hoping for Lirica, which I know it wont happen, but well, still hoping

They're probably doing that because it was one of the songs from Kara no Kyoukai, and it was easy to turn into a ballad. How often Kala performs it isn't necessarily correlated to how popular it is; for instance as far I've seen Lirica is really popular (picked as one of the songs from the FJC best 20 live iirc) but is barely performed at all.

I don't think that is completely true as by the end of every concert they would collect the questionnaire that allows them to know which songs that are more popular with the audiences and Kalafina concert attendees are not all members of FJC who knows tons of Kajiura songs. If there are first timers who came to the concert and were impressed by fairytale live, wouldn't they choose it as they'd only know songs from that concert? it's different from long time Kajiura fans who know all their discography and knows which songs they perform more often.

and maybe the Japanese fans did like fairytale. I mean, they performed Hikari no Senritsu very often but that song still made it to top 20 FJC list.

I'm hoping for Moonfesta, Red Moon and Kyrie honestly. The rest I can leave.

If they play Mirai, Musunde Hiraku, Hokage, Believe, Blaze, RYB, heavenly blue, snow falling, dolce, misterioso or to the beginning I'll be disappointed, but some are inevitable.

I really want snow falling and hokage *prepares for backlash*

at least misterioso was just released in end-2013 and wasn't always around their live setlist. there hasn't been a year since 2010 where red moon didn't make its way to Kalafina live setlist. it's on red moon-after eden-consolation-blue day-arena live 2016 DVD. extra bonus on Kalafina 8th anniversary live special CD and Kalafina 5th anniversary live special CD. there's 7 live versions of that song around and tbfh i (and some other people) don't need more.

(and imo it's also a mediocre song that really isn't better than misterioso. at least misterioso is 'to the point' and doesn't repeat itself godknowshowmanytimes within. red moon's just repetitive and loud and the best thing of that song is just the final 30secs). i'd rather take another Hokage live than another red moon live because at least Hokage did come to life on their fotw live that made me able to appreciate that song more. i never liked red moon and every live version of that song made me hate it even more. i'd even take sandpiper over red moon.

Red Moon, Ashita no Keshiki and Serenato are easily my favoutite three Wakatracks of all time. But they are designed for a different Wakana with a different voice.

My concern is whether our current Wakana can handle them, and if last year's Red Moon is anything to go by, I'd say not.

Yes, songs like Blaze and Believe are terrible and overplayed, but the songs are that basic they are literally impossible to mess up.

More importantly than hearing my favourite studio songs, I'd much rather hear Kala give a good, robust performance and not attempt to replicate some of their older work only to fail.

Wakana's 2017 voice isn't far enough from 2011 that she cannot reliably perform her best work from After Eden and Consolation, and for that reason, I'd much rather hear Sandpiper than Serenato.

Obviously I voted for Alleluia, and that is because Keiko's vocal stablity has inexorably improved since 2005. Other tracks I'd love to hear are Yami no Uta, Tsuyoku, Obbligato and Ongaku.

Magia is overperformed AF but I want to see it too, Kala do something different every time and manage to keep it interesting.

Ultimately I think musical taste is irrelevant here, the most important thing is how well Kala performs each song. :)

Yes, songs like Blaze and Believe are terrible and overplayed, but the songs are that basic they are literally impossible to mess up.
Believe is actually a pretty complex and hard song, going by the harmonies and many key changes throughout. It just doesn't sound that way on the surface because Wakana sounds bored af on the studio version.

Wakana's 2017 voice isn't far enough from 2011 that she cannot reliably perform her best work from After Eden and Consolation, and for that reason, I'd much rather hear
I'm going to be frank here- what are you talking about? Wakana's voice has drastically improved since the mess that was her voice back in 2011. Red Moon and before, I get it. Wakana's voice has changed since then quite a bit. But AE and afterwards, she's able to sing the songs released around then with stellar ability. Sure, it may not be the Wakana sound you want to hear, but she's definitely very consistent in her delivery nowadays.

Believe is actually a pretty complex and hard song, going by the harmonies and many key changes throughout. It just doesn't sound that way on the surface because Wakana sounds bored af on the studio version.

I'm going to be frank here- what are you talking about? Wakana's voice has drastically improved since the mess that was her voice back in 2011. Red Moon and before, I get it. Wakana's voice has changed since then quite a bit. But AE and afterwards, she's able to sing the songs released around then with stellar ability. Sure, it may not be the Wakana sound you want to hear, but she's definitely very consistent in her delivery nowadays.

I'm going to be frank here - what are you talking about? Wakana's voice still sounds like shit until 2014. 2012 imo is even the worst year for Wakana because she sounded really honky at that time and missed her notes very often I laughed a lot at her performance in YKL vol.9 day 1. In 2014 Wakana still couldn't sing in tune (heavenly blue live from their Red-Blue Best CD Nicovideo live) and was more often than not flat in their unedited live performances. She improved herself from 2015 onwards but then again she still had her off days and still is the queen of flatness judging from their 2016 year end countdown whatever event Kalafina was in. I wouldn't say that her delivery is very consistent nowadays because it still doesn't.
She did sound good on 9+one audio recording but like the usual Wakana she lost her power and consistency as the concert progressed.

believe is an actually pretty complex song, I agree, but it's not that hard to sing because key changes is the natural occurence on Kajiura stuff they should've gotten used to it. the bridge and the later part of the chorus are imo the hardest part of that song to sing mainly because Wakana had to stay on higher range in the 4th octave but that's it - and even then Wakana was super flat on the only believe unedited live from 2014 or was it 2015 countdown event. But then again believe benefits from the complex harmonies that will somehow conceal Wakana if she goes flat.

red moon is just a song that, imo, couldn't work with Wakana's tone now. Sure she probably can hit the right notes now but her voice now doesn't match the song. red moon is a song that commands people to pay attention to it and the CD version could pull it because of how "commanding and powerful" she sounded. I'm not a big fan of that song but Wakana did sound majestic af singing "hikari are to hibike alleluia" in the CD version. Since 2013 all Wakana has ever sounded was bored singing that song - another reason why I hate that song more and more. Back then it was only Wakana having issues, and now we have Hikaru issues. Nope. Big no to red moon.

Feeling like this is getting a bit off-topic, but oh well.
I'm curious to find out how many of the songs chosen by fans will actually be included in the setlist; if the most voted songs are some that are already going to be performed anyway, will they simply choose the next most voted ones, or will they pick randomly?

As for overperformed songs, I really, really like Red Moon, but I agree with @ritardando that they are truly overdoing it and almost never perform it with that 'wow' factor, therefore I do not wish to see it again. I don't like Misterioso, but they usually seem happy when performing it, therefore I suspect it might be included by default. Songs I would enjoy seeing live would be for example Serenato and Lirica, yet as @Aelarion said, in the end it's not about personal musical taste but more about the performance itself being solid. If the performance is going to be mediocre, well... then better have One Light five times in a row, because I don't think they ever messed it up.
In the end, I think it very likely that for their 10th Anniversary there will be a setlist made of the songs that made Kalafina popular, therefore most of the Kara no Kyoukai songs and probably almost all of the other anisongs (Lacrimosa, Magia, To The Beginning, Hikari Furu, Kimi no Gin No Niwa, Heavenly Blue, Believe, Ring Your Bell, One Light, Blaze, Märchen, Hyakka Ryouran, etc). Probably Storia and another of the RHH songs (and the aforementioned Misterioso), but I doubt that much else will be included.

Of course, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, and I still hope against hope to see Adore live once again.

Very unpopular opinion: A loooot of people voted for Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku and I don't like it at all:touched: I think it's the only kalasong I always skip..
And another unpopular opinion, I don't think every old song is better than the new ones, and I even enjoy a lot of "pop-plane-songs" they play (due to my shitty musical taste, but still xD)
But going to the only thing that matters to me, if I get to win the lottery and actually Go there, I'll CRY no matter what they sing. For me they could sing the Macarena and I'll be satisfied.

This might actually be the first time I've seen someone say they don't care at all for Kimi ga. Interesting.

That said I'm probably one of the only people who thinks Seventh Heaven is a pretty boring song. Would rather have any other song from the album maybe except fairytale by quite a considerable amount.

Not Wakanagate again, please.

Anyway, I just hope we get to see songs that never had a visual release, or that was performed once or a few times. I'll be satisfied with just that.

All this conversation just made me want to listen to Red Moon (live) a lot. And I wouldn't care if it is played.

I like to think that red moon is a song that shapes with someone's voice. Wakana's voice is a lot more high pitched than in the original recording, and can sound quite lack-luster for such an intense song (especially the chorus) but the verses show a fragility to her voice that make the song have a different view to me as apposed to the mystery sound of her voice in the original.

Magia is definitely an overplayed song - but I agree that they have been adding things to each performance to make it more interesting and to add more layers. That's what I love about their performances. Occasionally, they perform a song differently and I see a side of a song that I hadn't seen before.

However, there are many songs of theirs which use the same "choreography" for years or being played live so much that it gets exhausting to watch, eg. believe, one light, heavenly blue, ongaku not so much, to the beginning especially with it's newer change to make it seem less dramatic and more energetic. Believe especially, is boring to listen to and boring to watch. For an energetic song, they sure do stand around a lot in the same position. Like having believe after Yami no Uta was probably one of their worst setlist choices imo, completely brought down the epic mood.

What I'm excited more is more choreography and more effects to convey different parts of songs that can be expressed within the ten years of them releasing songs. I also want Yasashii Uta there too :)

Back