Japanese Language Help

Minna-san: Arigatou gozaimasu!! Also, Kugayama-san do you want me to read the section that the site you've given goes to?

Kugayama-san: I read the first one about the different forms of the same verb you have to use based on the situation. I'm talking about the one where I believe you got William T. Spears name from.

@Bashiek, in general I use Japanese wikipedia (often with google translate) when searching for details missing from the English language wikipedia.

[edit change Australian to English language]

Last edited:
Hello again. I have a questions.
1. I've heard the word "maniaware" "make it in time" many times in anime. Am I say this correctly?
2. Is there such a word as "akarukushite"?
3. How do you say "this is one of my favorite songs." a. Kore wa watashi no aigin/aishouka or b. Kore wa watashi no okiniiri uta.
4. I'm getting the general style of the letters, but I'm noticing slight "flicks" at the edges of the lines. Any suggestions? I'm practicing with a ball point pen.
5. "Thank you for your hard work"-is this translated into "Go-kuro"? Am I correct in saying this?
Thank you.

1. 間に合う (まにあう) is the one you're looking for. And the meaning is correct.
2. Yes. 明るくして (あかるくして) means to "Make (something) bright/colorful". 明るい is an adjective that when used on a person usually means "cheerful". Change to 明るく and it becomes an adverb. When you add する, you make something the adverb. This is in contrast with く・になる, in which the thing changes to something by itself or naturally.
3. これは私のお気に入りの曲です is a good one. 歌 could also be used but this has a stronger nuance of songs with lyrics. 曲 can be used even for instrumentals.
4. Tbh you can write it however you like. I just tend to cut my さ and き before the curve. And I write そ quite weirdly. I just saw it somewhere and thought it's a lot easier for me to write it that way. XD
5. This can be expressed either as お疲れ様でした or ご苦労様でした. Literally they mean "You have toiled" (疲れる = to be tired; 苦労 = suffering). Usually they are translated as "Good job" or "Thank you for the hard work", the latter being more literal. Or just, "Thank you" or "Goodbye". These phrases are quite vague. The respect level diminishes the more you remove parts of it.
お疲れ様でした -> お疲れ様 -> お疲れさん -> お疲れ
ご苦労様でした -> ご苦労様 -> ご苦労さん -> ご苦労

Last edited by a moderator:
Sutekinaijinoiro-san: Thank you for the in-depth reply!! I'll look it over carefully, and I'll let you know if I have any followup questions. I've just started basic kanji, so I'll have to look up some of the words you gave. By the way, do you remember what your first kanji were?
Take care.

Welcome :glasses:

By the way, do you remember what your first kanji were?
iirc they were the numbers and the basic Kanji like time and day and moon and stuff.
Also basic verbs too.
I recommend you try to absorb the readings early on as well so you don't keep coming back to them when you've progressed to the harder Kanji. I'm stuck in a beginner's loop rn because of that :vortex:

Also how do writers decide when to use hiragana and when to switch to katakana?
to add to what I said before, recently I learned that fruits are commonly written in katakana even if it's not a loan word (my friends also said that they usually write ringo in kana because the kanji is hard :P )
believe it or not, i acquired a fourth of my vocab through kajiura hahaha!
tbh I think most of the vocabulary (that's not just colloquial conversation) I know I got from her songs. Also thanks to her I know all these words that I'll probably never use though, like 凱歌 or 追憶...
4. I'm getting the general style of the letters, but I'm noticing slight "flicks" at the edges of the lines. Any suggestions? I'm practicing with a ball point pen.
I don't think most really care as long as it's legible, but last semester when we were first starting out sensei was very strict about when to hold the stroke and when to let it taper off (there are special terms and I can't remember them...) I'll admit I can't even remember when to do which though, lol
4. Tbh you can write it however you like. I just tend to cut my さ and き before the curve. And I write そ quite weirdly. I just saw it somewhere and thought it's a lot easier for me to write it that way. XD
same here. also り
By the way, do you remember what your first kanji were?
the first section of kanji we learned last semester was 日、本、学、生、名、年、何、月、人、一、二、三、四、五、六、七、八、九、十、百、先、話、語、大 but it seems like the kanji groupings we do are more by theme than by level

Aki-san: Thanks for the reply and the tips. I guess I should just focus on it being legible since the only teachers I have are you guys.
Take care.

O-hisashiburi desu minna-san.

1. Yatsu ni kono keiyaku o tomerarenai/he cannot stop this plan. Why is (ni) used instead of (wa)?
2. Dewa naku- is the (wa) written as it is or is it also (ha) in Hiragana?
3. Are there any fixed sayings for the following
a. Perfect timing/Choudo ii
b."Funny you should say that"?
c."How frustrating!" I've heard "utoshi"
d.Yoke na koto- mind your own business
e.danje de-not at all
f.Sono choushi-keep it up; just like that

Thank you as always and take care.

two words that I hadn't previously looked up:

っていう

って言う

conj, col

Meaning, called, said.

and:

せえの

Alternate readings: せいの, せーの, いっせいの, いっせーの

int

All together now!, one, two, go!, heave, ho!.

3. Are there any fixed sayings for the following
a. Perfect timing/Choudo ii -> I think that's good enough. Literally "Right on time/Just in time", something like that...
b."Funny you should say that"? -> Context please?
c."How frustrating!" I've heard "utoshi" -> Never heard of that. I'd say 悔しい (くやしい) = kuyashii
d.Yoke na koto- mind your own business -> Full form is 余計なお世話 (よけいなことおせわ) = yokei na koto osewa
e.danje de-not at all -> Context please?
f.Sono choushi-keep it up; just like that -> I think this is good. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080227161336AAjyUqq

Kugayama-san: Thanks for the additional help. The second word really helped; I just saw an episode yesterday where "sei no" was used. I didn't know how it was spelled out. You really helped me.
Thanks and take care

Sutekinanijinoiro-san: I'm sorry; I cannot remember where I heard "funny you should say that"; if I see the episode again I'll let you know.
I heard "utoshi" in Nartuo Shippuden episode 379 (I think); Obito had transformed into the Juubi, but he realized his body had a weakness-the subtitle translated it as "how frustrating". I also heard it in 07 Ghost episode 24 (I think) when Frau was telling Kuroyori that he thought that soldiers shouldn't be talking this way right before he starts to fight him.
"Danje de" I also heard in 07 Ghost 22 (I think) when Hakuren couldn't follow Teito through the gate before the second part of the exam started; he was muttering to himself that he didn't feel bad at all about it.
"Sono choushi" and "yoke na koto" I heard in the song "GO, GO TOU" from Kuroko no Basuke character songs. I've also heard both words in several episodes.
Hope this helps.
Thanks and take care.

Back