Apart from Yuki, are there other artists you like very much?

House of the Dragon / Ramin Djawadi

3/5
"The Prince That Was Promised": Super dark, I love it. Welcome back to Westeros.
"King of the Narrow Sea": 4:06 Djawadi's big horns at turning point.. always turn me on. The North Remembers "Against All Odds".
"Sealed in Fire and Blood": That main and haunting from "The Power of Prophecy" comes again, but it's even more intimidating here.
"The Promise": Classic Djawadi's credit track. Good.

4/5
"Rhaenyra's Welcome": Love that melody, and when the one of GOT hits as sub-melody, owwww....
"The Power of Prophecy": That vocal track, maybe the main melody and perfectly fitting the Targaryens. Deliciously haunting.
"The Crown of Jaeharys": I swear this haunting melody will never leave me. More heroic here, combined with the other themes. Obvious choice of "Rhaenyra's Welcome"'s melody to conclude this piece.

The entire soundtrack is good, Djawadi is so talented (his dragon sound is iconic), however I was hoping for more action tracks but it can't be helped since there was not much action in this season. Also it's missing one grand finale track, as he did in most seasons of GOT. But here it ends on a cliffhanger so...

Two Steps From Hell Live - An Epic Music Experience (CD)
Finally the CD from this year's tour.
Overall, disappointed that it was too accurate and close to the studio recordings.
I did appreciate the few arrangements tho, such as Fire Nation & Strength of a Thousand Men.
I know I should have been there in person to really enjoy it :/ can't feel the magic of a concert especially featuring an orchestra with a CD.
As for the setlist, sad they didn't include the new album, or at least shining orchestral pieces such as "Enchantress", "Stallion", "Skull & Trombones"; more concertable ones such as "Dragonwing", "Immortal"... and pretty much everything from Bergersen's "Humanity".
Anyway, it was such a success that they are coming back in 2023. This time with "Myth" please!

Empire of Angels: That weird and harsh cello introduction. But followed by those delicate piano notes and soft choir... and then the strings kick in... drums are well improved too. The voice of an angel!!! (Merethe). Some soft vocal variation too. now I can't think of a better introduction piece. My eyes are wet. Because I couldn't attend YK and TSFH lives at the same time :'(

Cannon in D Minor: Following the previous piece that slowly introduced all sections... here we get a true demonstration of an orchestra at full power. This tempo omg...

Unbreakable: the ultimate banger. Oh, but it's missing that soft yet powerful choir in the whole piece. I'll stick to the studio version.

Fire Nation: the choir at 2:30 is very Kajiura-ish. That complete new segment in the second part is awesome and actually brings us behind the door of this Fire Nation. Good job Nick.

Blackheart: Cello couldn't be more organic here. This track conveys such a great emotion, glad to hear it live.

Star Sky: the drop at the beginning of the song is legendary, unfortunately I can't feel it well in this rendition. As much as I'm not a fan of Felicia's voice, I don't either like this new take by Kamila. At least the choir is accurate. Would have loved to see that epic key change at 3:46 for real. More vocals from there, unnecessary.

Wings for Ukraine: Deep mourning, must be something with 10,000 people.

Strength of a Thousand Men: a classic, from Bergersen's beginnings, which was too short. I welcome this 2 times longer version, with this newly added E.G solo: it delivered! But imo, they missed a chance to change the key after it. Anyway, instrumentation, choir and vocal are very clean so I think it will take the place of the original in my playlists.

Victory: maybe nothing can't be more TSFH than Victory. But there was no improvement here.

Flight of the Silverbird: As much as I love this track too, I'm getting bored at some point, cuz it feels like I'm just listening to the original recording.

Remember Me: 1-min extended with delicate piano in the middle of the piece. As we already saw earlier this year, Bergersen is able to improvise on piano during more than one hour with pretty much no interruption ^^'

El Dorado: I love this piece! Sounds so different than usual TSFH, but still one of my all-time favs. Unfortunately Merethe messed up with the vocals here, didn't think she could. But they had 11 or 13 lives to select from, couldn't they pick a better one? Or was it intended?

Fall of the Fountain World: Good rendition, this time I approve Felicia's replacement. The choir seems very slightly different too? Good job Nick (sorry for picking only 2 of your tracks in this review).

Impossible: Huge to have them perform this insanely twisted 9-min long track. Some instruments seems different, and so is the synth part around 5:30. The mix does include the clapping of the crowd...

New Life: Having the girls pretending being a bulgarian choir here is a no.

Never Give Up On Your Dreams: appreciate the flute variations here. Maybe one of the most interesting tracks by Bergersen, combining classical choir and bulgarian choir. For this live version, better attempt that the previous track, but I still prefer the original. I wish I was there to see the violonist perform that overwhelming segment at 4:10. Lol why am I picturing Konno here?

Protectors of the Earth: Having this 114 million views strong track as an encore was a no brainer.

Heart of Courage: I don't like this loop. At least the ending is a little bit different. Looks like the choir has been correctly warmed up during all the concert to deliver something very powerful in the final track.

https://media.tenor.com/8xZ9hfXYbu8AAAAC/two-steps-from-hell-thomas-bergersen.gif

Last edited:
Novum / Antti Martikainen
Similarly as "Sonic Savior" (but with different elements), Antti once again goes more futuristic than in his traditional Nordic / Metal albums.

Neon Drifter: Epic! 1:07 could be TSFH-ish with a live orchestra. 3:18 Bombastic EDM, just wished it had at least live percussions.
Velvet Dragon: EDM x Erhu? The 2 successive key changes at 4:20 truly are Antti's signature.
Hard Reset: That low frequency sound starting at 0:46 is badass. Makes me think of something Holkenborg could make, with such aggressive synth and menacing strings (1:08).

Onyria / Ivan Torrent
Ivan has a new massive album for xmas, 5 years after "Immortalys". 2h of Spearhead music, with great vocalists, double choir and a full orchestra.
onyria.png

The Rules of Destiny: 3:52 Epic choir & vocal drops. It's getting real!
In Absentia: Love Ivan's own language.
Lionheart: Lara's vocals blend well with this children choir that turns into a normal choir at the end. Nice!
Mirage: Ivan sings this song. With Duduk.
Stronghold: was about to say I was missing more epic choirs until this track: not even close to Ivan's peak but still good.
Lady Dragon: Tibetan wail here! I wish it was Alan singing it, but those are just vocal samples since no one is credited?
Melantropie: Delicate Vocals and electric guitar here. Beautiful! On a Bergersen/Kajiura/Okabe vocal level. 4:02 - 4:28 eargasm
Plenilune: There's some real poetry with all those acoustic instruments.
Gaia's Lullaby: One more time with the delicate electric guitar. Merethe's vocals are a blessing. Short african chant at the end.
Sons of Freedom: A song, also featuring the children choir.
Resilience: 3:14 Probably the kind of vocal drop I was waiting in this album. Too bad the choir only delivers in the last seconds.

This album is more poetic than the thrilling "Immortalys". I do prefer bangers such as "Facing Fears", but those new fresh yet melancolic tracks will remain pleasant to listen until the end. My favorite album this year alongside TSFH's "Myth".
Thank you, Ivan Torrent.

Last edited:
FAKEit / SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:Laco
The rap behind saves it all, although it sounds like "THE ANSWER" (guys are selling 860 bottles of wine named after the song, matured 6 months listening continuously to it - for ¥15,000 each bottle lol).
The special was delayed but Sawano's already being goated with this and a special performance during Fate's annual Special (from 08:22). But that main theme is... eeh

TuNGSTeN / Hiroyuki Sawano
This synth slaps!

So at this rate, Sawano & Lyricists can produce 730 songs in 2023.

School of Wizardry / BrunuhVille

FAKEit / SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:Laco
The rap behind saves it all, although it sounds like "THE ANSWER" (guys are selling 860 bottles of wine named after the song, matured 6 months listening continuously to it - for ¥15,000 each bottle lol).
The special was delayed but Sawano's already being goated with this and a special performance during Fate's annual Special (from 08:22). But that main theme is... eeh

TuNGSTeN / Hiroyuki Sawano
This synth slaps!

So at this rate, Sawano & Lyricists can produce 730 songs in 2023.

School of Wizardry / BrunuhVille
Thanks for bringing Brunuhville back to my memory! I used to love "The Eternal Forest" album on Spotify but then my computer crashed and I unsubbed from Spotify, and thus forgot about the album too.

I should check out other Brunuhville stuff. And your other recommendations.

Thanks for bringing Brunuhville back to my memory! I used to love "The Eternal Forest" album on Spotify but then my computer crashed and I unsubbed from Spotify, and thus forgot about the album too.

I should check out other Brunuhville stuff. And your other recommendations.

Unfortunately for some reasons, BrunuhVille isn't really active anymore since 2018 :(
Sad, because his music is very inspiring.
Here are my 10 favorite pieces from him if you wanna check (from 10 to 1):
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2s08ZuqmpoROCWBLPxHQH81o4_dEDvBo

V / SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]
Dude and the lyricists should really focus on the quality rather than the quantity. Still better than nothing tho (naming no one cough cough)

I've expanded my anime soundtrack composer catalogue quite a bit.

Besides YK, who's stayed in the lead, I've:

Yasuharu Takanashi, Taku Iwasaki, Yoko Kanno, Kenji Kawai, Shiro Sagisu. A grand total of 42 albums by these people.

Night Queen (ft. Merethe Soltvedt) (from Humanity: Chapter V) / Thomas Bergersen
1,5 year since Chapter IV... Chapter V can't come soon enough ("April").
Please let "Memoria" be the second pre-release single in March!!!

Back