Wakana solo career

Went to Fukuoka live 5/4 yesterday!

I refused to look at the setlist for the previous lives of this tour so I would be surprised. When “musundehiraku” came out of NOWHERE, I went BERSERK I TELL YOU. BERSERRRRRRRK. OH MY GOD.

I was under the impression she would want to leave her Kalafina past behind her, but I’m so glad she still is performing kalasongs.

I was also very shocked to hear her do “Mizuno Akashi” because I was under the impression that was under FictionJunction WAKANA. Also if she’s was gonna do a FJ WAKANA, I would’ve LOVED to hear “where the lights are” considering the first line is “furusato-e kaerou” (even though it’s a funeral song....) and she is indeed returning to her home town for the live performance ....

More formal review will be coming soon....

I really want to hear Yakusoku no Yoake live (without any edits) because imo that song is harder than any songs Kajiura has ever composed for her/has her singing the melody line.

Omg I'm really surprised she's still singing KalaFJ songs....;; I'm really happy she is though, maybe this means the drama btwn the 3 of them + YK isn't as bad as I thought if she's still willing to sing kalaFJ songs

I have to assume the so-called drama is almost entirely media hype. People just choose different paths is all. But yea Wakana is a sell-out.

Me, being the drama queen:
The drama might still be around, she might've chosen those kalafj songs just to appease people who've known her since her kalafj days lol after all Kajiura was the one who left Kalafina first so the performing rights might've still on spacecraft and mizu no akashi wasn't even originally a wakana song (and some other people like haruna luna had sung that song in their concert before) so not surprised. Once she has enough solo songs she might get rid of her kalafj songs entirely, who knows.

I'm sorry but i can't help being very negative/pessimistic lmao

BUT IN CASE they're actually still in contact with each other, good for them! It's really nice if they don't just throw away 10 years of working together and being friends. (trying to be more positive, which is kinda hard)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the Oricon charts for Wakana's album sales. Didn't list the sales figures. Only thing I saw was it ranked 19th at it's highest and charted for 3 weeks. Not bad really, considering Kaori's GH album only got in to the 80s.... but what were the sales? Don't know.

putschki posted her live report of the concert! its sad to know the halls were half empty but its to be expected :( Also seems like we might get a dvd release for the Tokyo live?

Just listening to the samples of her album. It sounds like a pretty album. I've never been a Wakana fan (I've never understood what makes her voice special, but I'm glad to many people love her) -- but her new album does sound very pretty, however there is no 1 song that packs a punch and Wows. There's no One Light / to the beginning / progressive / magia / etc on this album. Time and time again, I see artists come from power bands like Kalafina / FJ and launch a solo career. Their first album is often full of songs that are vocal-centric, as if the pure prettiness of his/her voice can carry their new career. That's true to an extent, like ghostreaper said, the album was rank 19th at its highest, which is good! But when you look at putschki's blog and see that the venues were about half empty -- I bet that's because in order to draw big numbers you need power and amazing song composing. That just goes to prove that a composer/producer like Yuki Kajiura is essential to any vocalist's career. You need someone who can craft a song that stands out from the hundreds of other artists in the market. You can't just get by on ballad after ballad after ballad and say "Listen to my pretty voice!" Very fascinating.

and see that the venues were about half empty -- I bet that's because in order to draw big numbers you need power and amazing song composing. That just goes to prove that a composer/producer like Yuki Kajiura is essential to any vocalist's career.
(Disclaimer: I've not seen putschki's posts.)

Or maybe you start with smaller venues and smaller concerts to build up from, rather than assume Kalafina fans will carry over or some new people show up too. She's had literally one song out there. Kalafina didn't really start appearing on anime-related TV live programmes until Hikari no Senritsu from what I remember. Started with Premium lives for the fanclub first and here we have Wakana doing solo tours with a band from the get go. Heck, I don't think Kaori is doing big tours and she's an established act - albeit in a niche game circle. (Clearly her people know the demand for her lives, https://twitter.com/odakaori_0511/status/1126864302223192065 )

The promotion they (SC/Victor) put into Wakana is honestly quite impressive for a new solo act (even with Kalafina/Kajiura in the background for the Kajiura/anime fans, this is very much a new project - they did not even target the anime audience, which perhaps was a mistake but we don't know what they were thinking.) - shit takes time and sadly sometimes does not yield results. Perhaps that will be the case here... I guess we also don't know what their expectations for the sales were.

Off topic I guess but what even is "amazing song composing"? Because lol @ One Light and to the beginning as implied exceptional songs. :p

Anyways, I'm pretty sure to draw crowds you need to be shirtless hot guys or flirty girls... otherwise just very lucky probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t speak for any of the other concert venues, but yes Fukuoka’s hall was half-filled only. I will also add that that day, 5/4 (Saturday), was Child’s Day(? Correct me if I’m wrong) in Japan, during their Golden week. There were a lot of family events going on across Fukuoka and as we were walking to the venue we noticed streets being blocked off for a parade that seemed endless. So PERHAPS the sales for that particular day was halted because of this?

But I do agree they’re being overzealous with Wakana’s solo career. And let’s not kid ourselves- her solo career AT THIS POINT IN TIME is hugely being carried by the wind of Kalafina. The remnants of Kalafina today can only be found in her solo career, until one day when Hikaru emerges.

Wow. I did not realize their situation was so dire. I’m glad Kajiura got out of there.

There is nothing fascinating, or mistakable about Wakana current situation. She's just not superstar material and the songs are 'bleh' and the marketing and tour appear forced. This is a Kalafina cash-in event and it will probably end with this album.

That very well may be so.

Kaori seems to be doing fine so maybe it is a matter of finding your niche but we've yet to see how exactly it goes for her post-SC. Don't know if she's with another agency or independent now. I guess that's for another thread though.

Back