Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina girls left Spacecraft (confirmed)

I was prepared for this announcement, but still hurts :comeback:
I might have said it before, but being honest at this point I'd rather them disbanding (sad the "farewell" live was the anniversary live) and ending Kalafina at its highest point, rather than letting Kalafina slowly and painfully dying.
It's hard to me to say this because I love this band so much you have no idea. This still feels like a bad dream. I'd give away everything I have to see them together again. But because I love them, I prefer their dream to remain intact, rather than becoming a nightmare.
Keiko didn't only have an unique voice, but she had the strongest stage presence as well. Her being in the middle, with her precious smile, and being the "leader" when comes to talking and such... idk, even if Wa-chan and Hi-chan can manage to make new and great music, on public appearances will always be an "empty" space between them. Even with a new member, I doubt Keiko's "image" role could be fulfilled.
And probably for the other two girls becoming a duo will be hard too. Their signature harmonies will be really limited, and their voices are pretty inconsistent atm (it seems Wakana is gettting much better, tho).
Kalafina was always a trio for me and cannot even think of anything else. If Wakana and Hikaru continue together, I'll support them and I'm hella curious to see what they will do but I'd rather have them making a new band. I mean, they will need a new composer as well, so I guess their style will be far from Kala-style as well.
Sorry for the inconsistent rant, I still don't know how to feel. Can't still fully accept this is real. A part of me still wish for Wakana and Hikaru to follow Keiko and create a new Kalafina.

Question -- How could Keiko get the Kalafina trademarked name? Wouldn’t that already have been taken by Spacecraft??

Be patient. I'm sure Wakana and Hikaru will be following Keiko out the Spacecraft door. As for Keiko, I've said it before. She's not going to feel burned by abandoning her creative mentor / partner YK. that happened with Ayaka 10 years before and it probably still stings.

This also opens the door for her to join YK's lives in the summer. Watch for that announcement.

Spacecraft "cunning plan" to separate YK from Kalafina and turn them in to a pop idol group has failed miserably and killed their best performing golden egg laying goose.

Idk how can people still be so optimistic about Wakana and Hikaru would follow Keiko's step on leaving spacecraft. If they wanted to leave, wouldn't it be better if they leave together? It won't be surprising if Wakana and Hikaru stay because (perhaps) Spacecraft offered them a bigger paycheck if they chose to stay with them. Not to mention the stability that comes from being part of a group that was popular. Wakana and Hikaru both mentioned that they auditioned and send demos to various labels multiple times but ended up failing. It's different with Keiko who literally said that she didn't initially want to be a singer and always succeed in almost all of her endeavour before and the first time she felt being a failure was when she couldn't sing Kajiura songs because she couldn't read music sheets. If I were them I too would not risk my career just to follow my ex producer, even if that said producer had a very big role in making my name became well known. Their agency could always find another composer and producer if they chose to stay and imo even if they rebrand with new name, their individual fans would still buy their releases. They'd still have steady income. They're in their 30s and new anisong singers debuted each year. I'm pretty sure they have insecurities about their upcoming career.

Kajiura's going indie, she needs to find job for herself. It's a very risky situation but Kajiura probably has more than enough savings from years of being composer and producer. She'd probably just have to do some YKL each year to gain enough income to last a year.

Idk how can people still be so optimistic about Wakana and Hikaru would follow Keiko's step on leaving spacecraft. If they wanted to leave, wouldn't it be better if they leave together?

Weren't Wakana and Keiko already with Spacecraft before Kalafina started? If so, then maybe their contracts expire at different times.

Weren't Wakana and Keiko already with Spacecraft before Kalafina started? If so, then maybe their contracts expire at different times.
I think all of their contracts would expire at different times, as this is true, and Hikaru joined later

then if it is about expiry, Hikaru will be the last one to leave
Possibly, but remember they could have annually renewing contracts, which Wakana could've signed with Spacecraft at a later date than Hikaru. We'll just have to see within the coming months

Spacecraft literally said that Keiko asked for termination - read the Harmony fanclub announcement - which means that she still had time in her contract left but she chose to terminate it aka ended it prematurely. If her contract expires naturally she wouldn't have to ask for termination, sweetie.

Ugh. Listening now is so... I still want to be hopeful and hope that they all leave and follow Yuki under a new name. But yeah... I admit too that they should have done so already. If they continue as a duo I hope they make it, like Kaori has done. She has made some awesome music without Yuki. I am just sad because Yuki said herself how much she loves working with Kalafina, writing for Wakana specially, if I remember correctly. I always think of them as a trio as well, they are like sisters and I don't think they won't stop doing things together. I am glad that Keiko is added to the live, but I am confused I guess because it's Space Craft and Wakana and Hikaru are still with SC? Ugh... this is just messy. I wish I could just turn the clock back, go inside whoever's head that created this mess and stop them. heh I know, 10 years is a long time and 25 even longer. And I am sure they will continue to make music. Maybe Keiko will be featured in BGMs now? That would be awesome. I just hope that everyone is all right and their careers not affected by all this. It is sad that they ended shortly after their 10th though. It will be sad watching it, but I am glad for these last 10 years and even longer with Yuki. I wouldn't have changed it for the world. I love pretty much every song, and will continue to. They give me strength to keep going, and always will. Ganbatte minna!

Hmm. I don't think Keiko will be at Vol 14, its too fresh and Kajiura is likely to want to keep it simple.

If anything, she'll likely be babysitting her niece (which is a full-time job in itself) and resting.

After Vol 14, we'll see. The longer we don't hear, the more likely she's moved on to other careers.

Regarding Hikaru and Wakana, my thought is Spacecraft will likely hold new auditions and blood in about 2-3 new people and a really really dark thought of mine is this was what led to the whole stinking pile in the first place to join Hikaru and Wakana. While its more nostalgic to have them as a duo, as a commercial standpoint, its not viable. Kalafina is, to put it crudely, a money-making venture. If at any point down the road Wakana and Hikaru leaves (they're not going to sing till 80!), there's a new team that will take over, they've established their names singing alongside WH, and they will carry on the mantle. Maybe we'll get a Kalafina 20th Anniversary but it will be comprised of names we don't know yet.

{snip}

Regarding Hikaru and Wakana, my thought is Spacecraft will likely hold new auditions and blood in about 2-3 new people and a really really dark thought of mine is this was what led to the whole stinking pile in the first place to join Hikaru and Wakana. While its more nostalgic to have them as a duo, as a commercial standpoint, its not viable. Kalafina is, to put it crudely, a money-making venture. If at any point down the road Wakana and Hikaru leaves (they're not going to sing till 80!), there's a new team that will take over, they've established their names singing alongside WH, and they will carry on the mantle. Maybe we'll get a Kalafina 20th Anniversary but it will be comprised of names we don't know yet.

I doubt Kalafina will continue in any form other than what it is. Keiko is leaving. She's taking the name with her. Anything Spacecraft puts together with Wakana and Hikaru won't be using that name.

I doubt Kalafina will continue in any form other than what it is. Keiko is leaving. She's taking the name with her. Anything Spacecraft puts together with Wakana and Hikaru won't be using that name.

They could still be using that name by paying royalty to Keiko. That way they could still use Kalafina name, continue their activities and Keiko would still get money. Winwin situation for all 3 of them.

Regarding Hikaru and Wakana, my thought is Spacecraft will likely hold new auditions and blood in about 2-3 new people and a really really dark thought of mine is this was what led to the whole stinking pile in the first place to join Hikaru and Wakana. While its more nostalgic to have them as a duo, as a commercial standpoint, its not viable. Kalafina is, to put it crudely, a money-making venture.
I agree with you that unfortunately, it's not viable for Kala to continue as a duo, but I don't think they're going to hire 2-3 people in Keiko's place. I think all they really need is one person to sing her parts in lives, essentially as a replacement. Only problem is that this is going to be an incredibly difficult challenge, as barely any female singers sing with the same bass-y quality as Keiko- heck, the only singer that comes close off the top of my head is British (Hannah Reid of London Grammar)

Back