Kalafina LIVE TOUR 2017「Kalafina “9+ONE”」

Oot: treat yourselves and go listen to queen/goddess So Hyang on a show called King of Masked Singer. She's the queen at the moment. I'm still not over her wonderful A5 in yesterday's performance. Now that is a truly goddess voice.

OMG THERE IS A GODDESS SOHYANG FAN HERE TOO
I'm literally having goosebump listening to "Home" yesterday

-cough-

I want to mention that Oblivious and storia is better than the previous few live videos we've had. I dunno, Hikaru's falset sounded smoother in Oblivious and the harmony in storia is more.... uh. Harmonious?
On the other hand Marchen really was a mess. I don't know if it's because it's a new song, but there was little control especially on Hikaru's part.

@ritardando But how many lives does she do per year ? Yes she has amazing voice but if she did as many lives as Kalafina do maybe she wouldnt have this voice for long (as happened with W) and even if she does have as much, then i guess it goes to physical limits. Not all people can reach perfect level on all things.
Kokia also has equally awesome voice as that Korean imo.

Last edited:
So Hyang's voice is pretty gorgeous, I agree. As is Kokia's. Much prefer the music Kokia does from what I've heard though, really should listen to more of her work than the couple albums of hers I have.

but if she did as many lives as Kalafina do maybe she wouldnt have this voice for long (as happened with W) and even if she does have as much, then i guess it goes to physical limits.

We don't know exactly what happened to Wakana, but if I had to guess, it's because of bad technique. Combine bad technique with multiple concerts and it gets worse. But it's her own fault for not seeking a coach or taking classes.

Just listened to Ashita no Keshiki.
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it definitely still doesn't come close to how the song sounded years ago.
It's obvious Wakana's straining on some notes, and her voice doesn't have that effortless swelling, neither that fullness to her tone that seemed to come so naturally in the past. At this point, that's to be expected though.
Hikaru was ok, Keiko was fine as usual.

And yes, So Hyang is perfect. This song brought me to tears the first time I heard it.

Just listened to Ashita no Keshiki.
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting,
I listened for Wakana and very this. I'd actually say it's the best live performance of hers that I've heard, lol. Hikaru on the other hand was dying in the higher registers. Keiko was screaming a lot. :|

the middle-eastern intro in Marchen was kinda out of place, but liked the instrumental bridge. The vocals sound kinda slower than in the recording. In Ashita Wakana truly sounded better than i expected and agree with grunty at the rest. Samidare was fun, and the lala made the audience happy as expected.

Maybe Wakana is rediscovering how to master her voice and has a chance at returning to top form. From what I've seen, she is much stronger than the Wakana of 2016, which does give me reassurance.

Something interesting happens in Samidare. If you hear closely, in the first verse, when Hikaru sings the line "yorokobi wo yoberu hazu", Wakana takes over during "yoberu hazu", when the notes go up a little bit. The same thing happens with the line "bokutachi wa yumemiteru".

I don't mean to drag the discussion back to Hikaru's voice problems, but seriously? She can't even hit those notes, and they're not even in the high range like ARIA is. Kajiura was right when she said Kalafina's biggest weakness is that they can cover for each other.

Something interesting happens in Samidare. If you hear closely, in the first verse, when Hikaru sings the line "yorokobi wo yoberu hazu", Wakana takes over during "yoberu hazu", when the notes go up a little bit. The same thing happens with the line "bokutachi wa yumemiteru".
My guess is that both Hikaru & Wakana sing those lines, and Hikaru's voice is more apparent on the lower notes while Wakana is more apparent on the higher notes.

Though I agree with @Aelarion that they definitely need a break. They've been going strong since what- 2014? 2015? They've barely had a chance to rest within the past 2 years, they've definitely earned some time off.

Kind of wish they didn't announce the Christmas tour tbh, sounds like they need a break.

Well, the tour starts November 7th. That's 3 months after the Hong Kong concert. It's enough time to rest, unless she has a more serious problem than vocal fatigue.

Well, the tour starts November 7th. That's 3 months after the Hong Kong concert. It's enough time to rest, unless she has a more serious problem than vocal fatigue.
they may be recording/practicing for a new album during those three months to be released on/near their 10th anniversary

@ritardando But how many lives does she do per year ? Yes she has amazing voice but if she did as many lives as Kalafina do maybe she wouldnt have this voice for long (as happened with W) and even if she does have as much, then i guess it goes to physical limits. Not all people can reach perfect level on all things.
Kokia also has equally awesome voice as that Korean imo.

Idk whether she does or she doesn't do as many lives as Kalafina because queen So Hyang is not a mainstream singer. She's actually a gospel singer so her activities mostly related to church, so i'd say her live performances are often unrecorded. She does have tv appearances every now and then.

But consider this:
1. She's 39 now. In korean age she's 40.
2. She's battling liver disease atm. She's a cancer survivor and has to routinely take medication.
3. She has appeared on this show for a total of 7 times on a course of 14 weeks. On the first week of her apprarance, she was very sick (het tone was quite different than usual) but she SLAYED. Search for her performance of "Dear Love".
4. Last year she also had pneumonia and had live performance even after she barely recovered but she NAILED it.

truly a professional singer. That's why I said whether a singer is sick or not is not a problem for the audiences. Great singer can always deliver wonderful performances on any conditions. Other than Kokia, she pretty much has ruined my ears for other pop singer within sopranos vocal range. What a very powerful belt and very clear head voice she has.

@Kowz sorry i didnt provide you with the link because i have limited internet connectivity atm. Thankfully @Kirito has provided it. I just don't like Wakana's new voice at all, although she's improved in the area of actually hitting the notes. I think Keiko always shouted/inappropriately belted her way out to reach A4 above recently lol. Why Keiko why. Hikaru should left Kalafina and make a duo with Lisa :p

So Hyang should train Keiko on how to belt and train Wakana on how to properly use her head voice.

I agree SoHyang is divine. Arirang Alone is a incredible. I'm happy to know more korean musicians, Kpop idol groups are the only thing people talk about. However I think it'd be better to make a separate topic about her. She's incredible and such, but I don't see the point on discussing it here.

About the songs posted, I only listened to Ashita no Keshiki and Samidare. Ashita no Keshiki sounded much better than expected, I was scared of Wakana ruining it, but she actually did so well. Her voice might not be the same as before, but it seems she did a great effort to make it sound closer to the original recording. She was amazingly beautiful at some parts. Of course it seems at she still has some trouble, but overall I'm proud of Wa-chan :plz:
Samidare was really fun! I couldn't help but clapping my hands as well! What a lovely perfomance! I can even imagining the girls smiling and enjoying it so much. Really looking foward for a official release of this :dote:

Aaah Lacrimosa was solid. I remember Hikaru used to sing the "canta miya" before the lacrimosa, is there any reason they changed that?
I guess because holding out "miya~~" would make her voice wobble (for lack of a better word); you can hear it wobble a little in performances where she did song it, and it would only be worse now because her voice has lowered (Even though it seems the only register where Hikaru is consistent nowadays is falsetto)

Back