Kalafina single "Believe" 19/11/2014

After listening to the song more, I don't think the similarity to to the beginning bothers me that much. Especially now that I see it as a subtle call back to fate zero rather than a rehash.

I barely even noticed the similarity between it and TTB, it's really not that obvious. That and TTB is also a far better song I'd say. Still, as it was said a few posts ago, this could just be related to what was asked for in regards to the series. The OP for this and the songs for the DEEN Fate adaptation weren't exactly standout either for that matter. Still disappointing, though.

On the other hand, we've got two b-sides to look forward to, and it's not like they've been consistently bad for ages. Both the recent mediocre songs are related to projects as well, so hopefully Kajiura's just saving her ideas for these other tracks and a potential album release. Just look at what we've had post-Consolation.

Excellent: Gaika, Tsiouku
Great: Kimi no Gin no Niwa, Storm, Elemental
Good: Storytelling, Alleluia, Misterioso
Average: Dolce
Mediocre: Heavenly Blue, Believe (so far)

Not to mention the overall good quality of Hanako to Anne's soundrack. I'll start to worry if the b-sides turn out bad as well. The Hikari Furu single made me worry a little and then Consolation came out, which in my opinion was rather wonderful throughout with the exception of the aforementioned Mirai.

@ritardando &
It's possible. That happened with To the beginning.
Indeed. My suspicion at this point is Yuki's being called upon to make the same sort of thing, because that's what the studio staff and/or record execs want for the tie-in production. Like any area of popular media I guess, when a formula is proven to be successful it's 'safer' to stick to that rather than try out new things that may or may not repeat the same levels of success. Which is reassuring for the company accountants, but disappointing to the listeners! As an act becomes more successful, there's more pressure to keep maintaining that level, and in the process there's a reluctance to change anything. Back in the SH/RM era, the group were pretty new and there were fewer expectations, maybe?

I've seen other artists find themselves up a blind alley inspiration-wise, and have rekindled their career by a change in direction in style, hired new musicians, etc. It depends on whether the problem comes from the songwriters/musicians themselves, or 'pressure from above', so to speak.

I can only hope that future releases, such as the next studio LP, will allow for a bit more artistic freedom - heck, their B-sides have always been good, so maybe the same logic will apply to album tracks? It's not that Believe is bad - I can totally understand why many of you like it, and that's totally cool - it's just, I've heard it done already. Twice!

That same logic has generally applied to album tracks too, even post SH/RM. Look at Signal, Hanataba, Obbligato, Sandpiper, Destination Unknown, Magnolia etc. I can't complain about those, at all.

The fact that the director of F/SN UBW is the same as F/Z and that TTB was a request makes me a little less worrisome, at least. Even so, Kalafina is a band that has a bad song percentile of what, less than 5%? Most bands can't even come close to that. Even if the new album is absolutely awful, they've still released four solid albums, and they're albums I'll be happy to listen to countless times more. That's also far more than most bands, who often drop out after 2-3 albums or hell, only ever release a couple of good songs and disappear forever. It'd be a massive shame to lose what they've got, but if it does come to be, we've had a good run.

Anyway, I need to stop being cynical as hell. I still love them, more so than any other artist really and probably a little too much. I still have hope for the Believe b-sides as they've always pulled through on those, possibly with the exception of Dolce since I always forget it even exists.

@Seasonreaper The director's are different I believe. FZ had the director form KnK 1 while FSN has the director from KnK 6. The producers are the same, these are aniplex shows after all.

I found the tv version on believe on youtube today and I was SO FREAKING EXCITED. But all I got disappointment. I love the start, and Wakana's vocals are nice to listen to. But no Keiko solo, and it all sounds too similar to heavenly blue :uh..:

I hope the b-sides are better

Hmm, they actually removed the 14m48s length information on the anime edition from shops. :/

Gaika is by FictionJunction :P

So is Storm, Storytelling and Elemental. I mentioned HtA as well, and that's a soundtrack. I included them because after all, Kajiura is the one behind everything. There's a reason I didn't specify Kalafina in that sentence and just listed stuff Kajiura's done since Consolation.

^ Indeed but you only menthioned gaika in your rating above as if you thought it was a kalafina song, I mean that elemental was also a new song but it doesnt appear in that rating.

(I actually would flip elemental and storytelling, but that's just me, not that I hate elemental, actually like it more after the live) Anyways, the only similarity I hear between believe and ttb is the chorus, and the drumming, if that's what you meant. Like I said, I listened to ttb after the tv size of believe and did not notice too many similar things, just those two. I agree with season that ttb is a better song out of the three. It's a little faster, but that's because it is an opening. (Though believe sounds a bit like an OP, except for the part before the chorus) And I agree about them not having too many bad songs, though I pretty much love all Yuki's stuff, with the exception of some songs (there are songs that I don't like, yes) like signal, though I liked the live at ACen, though only Wakana's ahhhs and Keiko's part. I do agree about the other songs though.

I am looking forward to the other two, since Tsuioku was so so good, and I like misterioso, even though that was even an "A-side" since it was used in the movie. The more I listen to believe though, the more I like it. I can't wait to hear it more clearly tonight.

You know, I'm really disappointed in Kalafina's last 2 A-sides, not because they are bad songs, but they are just so uninspired and they sound so similar to each other. It's like there's nothing too memorable about them. I'll probably get killed for this, but they remind me of a bunch of FJ single A-sides that sound similar to each other as well. I understand having a style, and sticking to it because it's what gives character to a group's music, but what I liked about Kalafina is that their songs still had something memorable about them anyway. Even if you could lump Ongaku, Destination unknown and Mata kaze ga tsuyoku natta in the same category, they are memorable in their own right, each of them has something that sets them apart.

Oh well, to be fair, I haven't really listened to Heavenly blue more than a couple times, because it doesn't hook me at all, but maybe that one and this song will grow on me later. I feel like these 2 are very stereotypical anime sounding, I'm just not too into that particular genre of anime music lol

EDIT: And this year has had some amazing Kajiura music for me, especially Kimi no Gin no Niwa, which is my favorite Kalafina A-side ever. So yeah, maybe I'm a bit disoriented at these twin songs when compared to the rest of the Kajiura music this year which is awesome.

The PV looks amazing! Hikaru my queen ;_; she's so beautiful ;_; I really wish I could hear more of her in Believe, but I'll wait for the full version in HD before I lose hope completely haha

Back