Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina girls left Spacecraft (confirmed)

This topic makes me realize I have no idea about the business side of the music industry. Kajiura is signed with spacecraft, but I thought she was with Victor Entertainment. Then of course there's all the crossover with Sony/Aniplex. Either way, I hope Kajiura finds a good home with another group. I get the feeling she isn't too good at networking, so freelancing might be tough.

Spacecraft is a management company. They handle Kajiura and the Kalagirls schedule, promote them, getting them projects/job. Victor/Flying Dog/SME/Sacra are music labels. As a musical artist they release their songs/works via their recording labels but Spacecraft as their managing company handles their schedule etc.

Kajiura as Yuki Kajiura/FJ is signed under Victor/Flying Dog. They handle her releases for YKL DVD, YKL CD, FICTION CD, and her works under the pseudonym FictionJunction.

Kalafina is signed under SACRA music to release their musics.

For each soundtrack releases, it's up to the animation studio and the recording company they're on cooperation with. Because Kajiura often releases soundtrack with different labels, her staff (Spacecraft) said that it's kinda difficult for her to release her live DVD/CD/solo album that includes works from various labels. That's why they cannot release YKL DVD/CD often. How they reach the agreement about her releases is up to the negotiation with the management from each company.

Regarding Kalafina, Kajiura acts as their sole producer, composer, arranger, and lyricist. Usually producer came from the same management company as the singer/group, but composer/arranger/lyricist can be outsourced. In Kalafina case, Kajiura handles all of it with the help of Spacecraft aka the management company. Imo that's why the article mentioned about the possibility of Kalafina going into hiatus because Kajiura as their music producer won't be signed under the same company as the Kalafina girls. Putschki1969 at tumblr said that Kalafans should not exaggerate because there's rumor of Kalafina going to release new music in spring 2018. That would be possible as song as the song is recorded before Kajiura leaving in February 2018.

but arent FJ on spacecraft too ? that will mean that if Kajiura leaves, FictionJunction will too, and maybe they will all work with a different managing company than spacecraft and continue.

but arent FJ on spacecraft too ? that will mean that if Kajiura leaves, FictionJunction will too, and maybe they will all work with a different managing company than spacecraft and continue.

FictionJunction is the pseudonym for Kajiura herself. Literally under the FictionJunction logo there's usually writing of Yuki Kajiura + Kaori, Keiko, Wakana, Yuriko Kaida. If there's a FJ Yuuka song like in Parallel Heart single, the credit is Yuki Kajiura + Yuuka. The FJ girls are the vocalist she deemed fit to sing her songs the most. That's why on every FJ CD each vocalist is credited separately and specifically. Iirc Kalafina, Kaori, Yuuka, (and maybe Yuriko too) are all under spacecraft management. Kajiura could always releases song under the name FictionJunction but it's up to her new management to arrange the payment of the girls because their salary share is handled by their management. That is, if the girls decide to stay at spacecraft. Imo with their loyalty with Kajiura they'd probably change their management company too. They would have to pay penalties though if they're under contracts with specified time with Spacecraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
FictionJunction is the pseudonym for Kajiura herself.
I'm not an expert but I think 'yes' and 'no'? "FictionJunction" is listed seperately from Kajiura on spacecraft and JVC.

Depends who owns it as that trademark.

I mean, Kalafina also lists vocalists (and Kajiura as producer) on all their solo releases (not so much on OSTs) and I'm pretty sure whoever legally owns "Kalafina" could change the lineup completely and still retain the name. There have been plenty of groups that had that happen to them... Of course one could go to court but... Herpderp.

Time will tell what happens.

I'm not an expert but I think 'yes' and 'no'? "FictionJunction" is listed seperately from Kajiura on spacecraft and JVC.

Depends who owns it as that trademark.

I mean, Kalafina also lists vocalists (and Kajiura as producer) on all their solo releases (not so much on OSTs) and I'm pretty sure whoever legally owns "Kalafina" could change the lineup completely and still retain the name. There have been plenty of groups that had that happen to them... Of course one could go to court but... Herpderp.

Time will tell what happens.

Ofc it's listed separately. She releases stuff under her real name for Soundtrack and FICTION albums. FictionJunction is still her own solo project - mostly to sing her songs live - and to sometimes sing songs for anime and as her kind of free-time project. It's not unusual for one artist to use many stage names/pseudonyms/whatever for different projects. So many longtime fans and Kajiura herself said it so many times about FictionJunction before I wonder why people still don't remember about it. Lmao.

Ofc it's listed separately. She releases stuff under her real name for Soundtrack and FICTION albums. FictionJunction is still her own solo project - mostly to sing her songs live - and to sometimes sing songs for anime and as her kind of free-time project. It's not unusual for one artist to use many stage names/pseudonyms/whatever for different projects. So many longtime fans and Kajiura herself said it so many times about FictionJunction before I wonder why people still don't remember about it. Lmao.
I know it is her pseudonym (hence the 'yes') but if it's listed seperately everywhere, then it possibly exists seperately "legally" (hence the 'no'). If Kajiura owns all the rights to "FictionJunction" that's smart of her and it's just a matter of getting out of contracts. If not... I don't think it's as simple as you're saying. But as I'm no expert, I'll show myself out.

OMG o.O Anyway the events of the beginning of 2018 have already been announced and certainly others too soon and if ever Kajiura-san will leave Spacecraft in February, will go to stipulate a contract with SACRA probably or will remain with the Flying Dog! Or she'll continue to be the producer under another contract! Bdw these articles speak only under speculations, there's no confirmation of any sort, so let's wait and be positive!

Let's stay positive but keep in mind they've been active for 10 years. I think now is the best time of all times to bring everything to an end. The 10th anniversary marks a DECADE of their lives. If they keep going, the chances of them making it in any other realm of music is greatly diminished IMO

With HIKARU in her current state, I think continuing with Kalafina will only weaken her as a performer.

I would also want to see them as individual vocalists. And a few times a year they do a Kalafina concert. Like what FJ used to be.

Let's stay positive but keep in mind they've been active for 10 years. I think now is the best time of all times to bring everything to an end. The 10th anniversary marks a DECADE of their lives. If they keep going, the chances of them making it in any other realm of music is greatly diminished IMO

I could see that, but that's also ignoring what Kalafina themselves have said, in recent interviews to boot (ik this isn't the only place, but they mentioned it in the J-MELO interview on NHK World over the summer). They want to stay together as a group. They want to keep performing. Just because something's gone on for 10 years doesn't mean it has to end. Though this is anecdotal, just look at the J-pop band ALI PROJECT. They've been active for as long as Wakana's been alive. Though this (unfortunately) doesn't say they have to stay with Kajiura as a producer, I highly doubt they're going to dissolve because of some office dispute of someone who technically isn't part of the group.

Sorry if I sound condescending :desksweat:

Please noooooo :omg:
That will be the worst nightmare for me

The fact that it's one single media outlet saying this and there's nothing official or from any other source is weirding me out a bit. I've heard the occasional comments about the source in question being disreputable sometimes as well (media companies not being wholly truthful, who would've known?!) so I'm not even sure what to think any more.

Also when they do stop, it'd better damn well be under their own decision. Going out like this would be goddamn ridiculous and not at all welcome.

^I hope so. I mean, I am sure Yuki and the girls will continue to make music one way or another, because they like staying as a group, and Yuki obviously loves them as well. Yeah... it doesn't matter how much time a group is together, but look how far they have gotten in that amount of time! They've played at Budokan several times, have been in tons of anime concerts, have had their own tours. True, their latest works have not been as well received, at least on here, but I look forward to their next album, as well as more concerts coming. (10th anni live bluray please?) This is just one company, so who knows, maybe they'll find something better if this is true or not... which we still don't know, right?

Back