Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina girls left Spacecraft (confirmed)

S

shiro

Holy Shit, did anyone see the news about YK and Kalafina? I haven’t followed them in a long time and I was so shocked...

As far as I can tell, Kajiura had an issue with some exec at SC, and decided to leave. Since Kalafina is still with SC, they're officially on hiatus from the time she leaves until further notice. As to what happens next, who knows.

I was worried that the 10th would conclude with them disbanding, but this wasn't the angle I was expecting things to go. Actually the timing of this news article and the announcement of this documentary seems... suspect. Throwing out a bone here and putting on my tinfoil hat, but maybe the 'glimpse of the future' is a future without Kajiura.

That's pretty big news. I wonder how this will affect Kajiura's solo career.

I...don't know how I feel about this. I doubt Kalafina would switch labels, since they just got resigned with SACRA so they're probably locked in by contract. Similarly, they wouldn't disband either for contractual reasons (and I doubt the girls themselves would want Kalafina to be over since they would have JUST had their 10th anniversary).

One on hand, I absolutely love Kajiura's music. Kalafina wouldn't be Kalafina without Kajiura. At the same time, you gotta admit, her recent releases with them haven't been particularly outstanding save for a few tracks. This might be a blessing in disguise, but I'm sure it's bad news for the girls since I don't think anyone expected this to happen, especially at a time like this so close to their 10th anniversary.

Isn't Spacecraft a managing company, and not a record label? Couldn't Kajiura still compose for them...?

Anyway, I highly doubt Kala is going to disband bc of paperwork issues (as Kirito said), just look at how much they've said they want to continue with the group, and how much they enjoy it.

Also if Kalafina temporarily goes on hiatus, this may have some short-term benefits, as maybe Kajiura could finally do something in the studio with FJ for the first time in 3 years (if there's no paperwork issues with that), and/or Hikaru could really devote time to rest, and then getting her voice back in order. Though it's been much better this year than, say 2015, but there is still much to improve upon.

Also schedule could be blank because they may be releasing an album in the spring and they just haven't announced lives for said album yet

Kalafina without Kajiura is a shocking prospect. But now one has to ask, how much have Wakana, Keiko and Hikaru learned during their time with her? It only lasted this long because Keiko wanted it to, and on one hand it would be interesting to see the Kalagirls write their own songs and take full control of their group.

On the other hand if they do not find a new composer, my worry is that their signature sound might dissolve into a common J-Pop aesthetic, which just isn't the Kalafina I fell in love with.

Or the Kalagirls do the same thing as Chiaki Ishikawa and develop their own sound or they might just leave SC too and follow Kajiura-sensei for another ten years.

All remains to be seen.

[first of all, hello, this is my first post, sorry if this has already been posted, I did try to check, but I'm new to the forums. nice to meet you all : )]

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171223-00000065-spnannex-ent

So apparently Kajiura and the company execs had a big fall out and Kajiura (at the time of the article posting) will no longer be part of the company.

Kalafina is also mentioned to be put on hold (I"m just reading from the news article now, so I guess I'll stop that and let you see for yourselves)

wow...

We've been talking about it in this thread, but this may be a more appropriate place to talk about it.

And sorry to be the person to add to the bad news, but also it was mentioned that Kajiura is considering the possibility of not producing for Kalafina anymore.

oops, should I get this one removed or locked up? thanks for the link btw

We've been talking about it in this thread, but this may be a more appropriate place to talk about it.

And sorry to be the person to add to the bad news, but also it was mentioned that Kajiura is considering the possibility of not producing for Kalafina anymore.

Count me in the camp that hopes Kajiura moves on from Kalafina. It was a neat project when it started, but I feel as though the sound she established for the group has taken over everything she does. Kajiura already has enough trouble coming up with new sound ideas, she really didn't need to be attached to a group for this long.

This is...interesting.
If Kalafina actually got some good producers who could write some solid J-pop that still actually feels Kajiura-y , (see: this. I could totally see Kalafina singing this song) I might be on board, but if they just start to produce the most bland, boring, generic, J-pop garbage, I'll be like nope bye. Even their voices can't save that for me, I absolutely can't stand the majority of Jpop.

12XMGIWtrHBl5e.gif

Some people will say this is a good thing, but with all my forces I don't want it to happen.

Spacecraft seems like a pretty small company, music wise. They have like 12 acts, 3 of them being Kajiura, FJ, and Kalafina, so maybe this could be for the better. Though I'll admit I don't even know what Spacecraft does hue. Are they a managing company?

If someone could translate the articles, plis. Google translate implies this is going to affect Spacecraft big time, but then again >google-translate.

It seems she had problems with some producer about the "directional nature of music".
Also g-translated some comments, it seems Spacecraft is seen in a bad light.

Also, isn't Kalafina owned by Sony? Can;t they just tell SC to gtfo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spacecraft seems like a pretty small company, music wise. They have like 12 acts, 3 of them being Kajiura, FJ, and Kalafina, so maybe this could be for the better. Though I'll admit I don't even know what Spacecraft does hue. Are they a managing company?

If someone could translate the articles, plis. Google translate implies this is going to affect Spacecraft big time, but then again >google-translate.

It seems she had problems with some producer about the "directional nature of music".

Spacecraft is their managing company.

Will repost what I said in the other thread here since this is the official thread:

This is...interesting.
If Kalafina actually got some good producers who could write some solid J-pop that still actually feels Kajiura-y , (see: this. I could totally see Kalafina singing this song) I might be on board, but if they just start to produce the most bland, boring, generic, J-pop garbage, I'll be like nope bye. Even their voices can't save that for me, I absolutely can't stand the majority of Jpop

Will repost what I said in the other thread here since this is the official thread:

This is...interesting.
If Kalafina actually got some good producers who could write some solid J-pop that still actually feels Kajiura-y , (see: this. I could totally see Kalafina singing this song) I might be on board, but if they just start to produce the most bland, boring, generic, J-pop garbage, I'll be like nope bye. Even their voices can't save that for me, I absolutely can't stand the majority of Jpop

There is no Kajiura-y. its like Mozart-y or Bach-y. You can't replicate that.

This topic makes me realize I have no idea about the business side of the music industry. Kajiura is signed with spacecraft, but I thought she was with Victor Entertainment. Then of course there's all the crossover with Sony/Aniplex. Either way, I hope Kajiura finds a good home with another group. I get the feeling she isn't too good at networking, so freelancing might be tough.

Back