With what Sound System are you listening to Yuki's Music?

A very old thread, but I really recommend trying to listen to YK at least on CD quality/FLAC and through a stereo set. I can't think of an artist whose work is produced better than hers and I think I've roughly a 1,000 artists or something I my collection. It is rare to encounter even a mediocre YK OST album production-wise.

A good stereo set will be able to convey delicate details to you. For example, I forgot the album but you are able to hear chimes ring and circulate above your head before finally disappearing. Apparently, YK had decided such an effect should be included on the track. There are many other cases of three-dimensionality on her albums. They turn into a bigger experience, like you were in a cinema enjoying a movie vs. watching the same film on a small tv screen.
For me Hans Zimmer's Dune is far above everything else production wise.
Yuki Kajiura has yet to release her first work in Dolby Atmos, although I definitely agree that overall her works shine by their three-dimensionality.

For me Hans Zimmer's Dune is far above everything else production wise.
Yuki Kajiura has yet to release her first work in Dolby Atmos, although I definitely agree that overall her works shine by their three-dimensionality.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've not listened to Zimmer actively in years but I have been to an orchestral gig that played his music (with Lisa Gerrard) some years back. It was a fun experience.

I just realized maybe I should buy Pirates of the Caribbean OST by him. I used to play it on Spotify but haven't since.

If I remember right, maybe some more recent OST by YK didn't sound that great, though I did like the music. But when we consider that YK uses quite a lot of synths and electronic instruments, and acoustic ones comparatively less, the production values are great. I can't think of anything equally synths-driven that would leave YK's works to shame.

I do enjoy the production on Shpongle's "Are You Shpongled?" album. Still, even that album is dynamically only roughly equal to an average YK OST album, says the database dr-loudness.war.info. Production is not all about the dynamic range, but it's one indicator of production quality.

BTW and OT: of those listed at the site, Zimmer's most dynamic works are the Das Geisterhaus and White Fang OSTs. I've not listened to either. Both in CD format. Dynamically, YK's best work of those listed is Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica OST 1 (possibly FLAC).

Re:

:XD: That's because the Bose ones are rubbish. If you can afford to save up a bit more, do give brands like Etymotic and Audeo/Phonak a shot too. I'm personally also using a pair of Phonka PFE 112 IEMs and they sound pretty good for the money.

If you have enough hard disk space, do consider ripping your tracks out into AIFF as well. I found that playback with AIFF sounds a lot better than FLAC on larger, more sensitive systems (such as studio or consumer hifi stereo).

EDIT/ADD: Just realised that you called yourself an audiophile. If you walk the talk, just forget whatever you have planned above with the Fiio setup (total waste of time, really). Go get some summer work and save up for an iPod Classic (160GB). Rip your tunes into 16/44.1 AIFF and then play them back on this nifty setup with a pair of custom IEMs of your choosing. Your ears will thank you. If you need to hook that setup to a DAC at home, do consider the Nordost Silver Shadow SPDIF coaxial cable too. Pretty good sounding for entry level stuff.
When i click the link of that 'nifty setup', the file os missing.

Back