• Gay Male

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Gay Female

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Whatever I feel like when i get up in the morning

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters
I'll bump it along with Westkana.

This is going to be put extremely awkwardly and I realize why, but unfortunately, I am a homosexual male.

^I'm just curious, but why do you say that it's unfortunate? Not trying to pry, and you definitely don't have to tell if you don't want to. I used to feel that it was unfortunate for me mainly because I live in a homophobic part of the US, and have homophobic parents as well (they do not know and I don't plan on telling them any time soon), but I learned to accept it and be comfortable with myself through a lot of self-reflection and talking with close friends.

Heyyy, another thread that I didn't know existed lol
I'm as straight as you can get lmao, but it's cool that there're so many gay people here :P
(And huh, not sure if that poll is the most accurate, but it's interesting that most people here are actually straight females lol, wasn't expecting that xD)

^I'm just curious, but why do you say that it's unfortunate? Not trying to pry, and you definitely don't have to tell if you don't want to. I used to feel that it was unfortunate for me mainly because I live in a homophobic part of the US, and have homophobic parents as well (they do not know and I don't plan on telling them any time soon), but I learned to accept it and be comfortable with myself through a lot of self-reflection and talking with close friends.

I have no real problem telling it.

I have an awkward situation slightly similar to @Kurjenmiekka but likely not as bad. My combination of events is that firstly, my parents are good old-fashioned black Christian pastors. Secondly, I am one of the gays that is gay by forced influence, as I was raped three times, though two of the three were by the same person, all while at the age of a kindergartner and first-grader. Usually that situation either indescribably heavily repulses you from homosexuality, or unstintingly draws you toward it.

My mother is especially repulsed by gays. If she sees one on television she will audibly gag, etc.. She is just generally irritating to me and I've fucked over a lot of my sing voice from years of arguing with her from things as petty as her thinking I'd been walking like a woman. My dad on the other hand keeps things very basic. Just a general "you know God doesn't approve of that," not a sermon, not a slamming into the ground, not a super-extra gagging noise.

I was also verbally bullied by most kids of my school from kindergarten to 11th grade for anything from possible gayness to my head and frequently had to come home just to argue fervently with my mother. My dad, also, was never on my side in an argument. Usually he would end up walking into one from outside, and immediately defend my mother as he heard me throwing insults at her, though the ones she threw at me were conveniently ignored 9 times out of 10.

My biological mother appears not to care. I do also have a blood-related gay cousin, he's super nice to me, though I don't really know how to talk to my bio-family very well.

I just feel generally awkward as I am very well-educated about the bible, etc., and yet I'm pretty damn gay. A bit feminine as well but certainly not noticeable if you didn't know me for more than about a month. I was more verbally attacked, thus I cannot truly compare myself to Kurjenmiekka. But it's whatever. I'm 21 at the time of typing this, and discovering Yuki Kajiura's music in 2008, starting with the song Canta Per Me, is one of about three things that did actually keep me from any interest in committing suicide.

Wow.... I can't even imagine what that would be like to go through. I am so sorry. I can definitely see why you said it is unfortunate now. I hope everything gets better, and know you can talk with us whenever you need to :hug:

Hello, I'm stopping by on one of my unfortunately infrequent visits to these forums to pitch in. I'm a lesbian! And quite happy about it, despite the difficulties it presents in my society. I'm lucky enough not to have met with anything too horrible, besides the (inevitable) unrequited love and the odd unpleasant stereotype, comment, street harassment etc... but I'm sending good thoughts your way, @Hayden Kurosaki and others who've had bad experiences. I feel like I ought to paste the entire text of "into the world" here as encouragement, but that's a bit too long to be practical.

On a more academic note, I'm also here to make some observations and pose some questions. Not knowing any hard core Kajiura/Kalafina fans in real life, I always kind of unconsciously assumed you'd all be kind of like me: young, female, and maybe gay, but having now attended three Kalafina concerts over the course of about five years, (and having spent a bit more time scuttling around these forums) I can say with certainty that this is NOT the case. I think this is fascinating. Though I wouldn't say I have anything resembling even a "celebrity crush" on any of the Kajiuran entourage, I think it's fair to say that my lesbian identity informs the way I consume her music. I guess this just comes from interpreting lyrics in accordance with my current life situation, but I also have a lot to say about Kalafina's undeniable and unapologetically feminine display of power through song and stage presence. So basically, I'm curious, how do your identities inform your interpretation/enjoyment of Kajiura's music?

Furthermore, (and perhaps this is a discussion for another post... is there a forum for musical/lyrical analysis yet?) We're all aware, I'm sure, that both 私 'watashi' and 僕 'boku' (first person pronouns with gendered implications about the speaker. "Boku" is more masculine, while 'watashi' is technically gender-neutral, though more commonly used by women) are commonly used in all of Kajiura's Japanese-language songs. Similarly, second person pronouns 貴方 'anata' and 君 'kimi' (which have slightly less concrete gendered associations, though 'kimi' is more likely to be used when addressing a woman) are various and appear in most songs. Speaking recently to some of my Japanese friends, I noticed that some of them would make assumptions about the gender of the singers/narrator of the song based only on second person pronouns when I recited lyrics at them. I thought that was interesting, so I whipped out my (preexisting...) spreadsheet of analytical data on Kalafina music and created some new columns for pronouns. I found a lot of interesting data, including that the vast majority of Kalafina songs use 僕/君 or 僕/zero (where zero is a second person implied by grammatical context, but not actually represented by a concrete pronoun) and a good number of songs use 私/貴方 or 私/zero. There are also some songs with no people in them, some songs in Kajiurago, some songs with only one person in them, and some songs with people but no pronouns. Then, there are five songs which combine 私/君 of which two are 'hikarifuru' and 'Magia,' suggesting that this combination is indeed used to indicate that both "I" and "you" are women. There is only one song that combines 僕/貴方 and that is 'Symphonia.'
So anyway, I'm a giant nerd, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I have more data as well if you're interested~!

So basically, I'm curious, how do your identities inform your interpretation/enjoyment of Kajiura's music?
I find it the same as you in their strong feminine display of power, despite not being attracted to them or women in general. It also allows me to appreciate the music more without necessarily needing visuals (for lack of a better word) to enjoy it.

And I'm not sure about the whole pronoun thing, but it sounds interesting. The only thing is I thought 貴方 was used for addressing more than one person, or to show respect (similar to "vous" in French), while 君 was more informal. I haven't done that much research into this though; all of this is based on the limited reading I've done and anecdotes based off anime. Me, being a guy, typically just use 俺 whenever talking about myself (for obvious reasons Kala doesn't use it). What I thought for the first-person-singular subject was 俺 = masculine, 私 = gender neutral or feminine. I don't really know when 僕 is used :p.

Btw I love that pikachu with the rainbow flag

OK, so here's the deal with pronouns. I'm not a native speaker, but I've been studying Japanese for six years now, and this seems to be the general consensus. There are a LOT of pronouns out there, so I'll keep it to just the common ones.
As far as I can tell 貴方 in kanji is different from あなた in hiragana. 貴方 is what wives use to address their husbands, and is usually translated as "dear" but it is also just generally a more "precious" "you." あなた in hiragana on the other hand is something you could call someone whose name you don't know. It is used on test papers and things (eg. あなたの意見を書きなさい"write your opinion")I did not check kanji versus hiragana in my analysis, but I don't believe I've yet seen a hiragana あなた in a Kalafina song. 君 on the other hand has much more of an implication of "speaker thinks they are better than listener" which is why it is mostly used by men when talking to women or children (ugh.) But I've also hear it referred to as "the girlfriend pronoun" as in, what you'd call your girlfriend. It is not used in polite speech. In fact, when speaking Japanese it is beat to avoid second person pronouns as much as possible, and just use the person's name (it doesn't sound weird) or an implied zero pronoun.
For first person pronouns, 私 is kind of like a polite default. It is what everyone is taught in their first Japanese class, and no one will think it strange if you use it. Women tend to use it all the time, and men mostly use it in formal situations. 僕 is the next step towards the masculine end of the spectrum, and is mostly used in my experience in slightly formal settings by men who would ordinarily use俺 when speaking casually. In anime, sometimes you'll hear women using 僕, but I have never heard anyone do this in real life. 俺 is a more informal, more masculine pronoun. There is also a more informal feminine pronoun あたし which is not used very often as far as I can tell.

Back