What are you watching besides anime?

S

sora

I'll start.

Steven Universe: An american cartoon with tons of anime-references and some really touching character interactions. It's probably my second favorite animated show right now and I think anyone who enjoys anime should check it out. Even if you don't like anime I think you should still give the show a shot.

Veep: An american live-action comedy that makes fun of the american government. If you like cringe humour, you'll love this show. However, there is a huge amount of cursing so avoid this show if that stuff offends you.

Most of what I watch on TV atm is factual/documentary stuff (science/nature and history mostly), but I've got hooked on the BBC dramatisation of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (which was originally a successful book apparently, so I'l have to look into that). It looks like a costume drama at first glance, but it's actually a fantasy thing. Imagine Dickens or Jane Austen, but with magic. :XD:

As far as cartoons go, I really enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender a while back (avoid the live-action movie though. It's pretty lousy) so I can't wait to see Legend of Korra.

Right now? Just finishing up the most recent season of Game of Thrones, got season 3 of Hannibal to start and watching Wayward Pines. There's always something interesting going on :goodjob:.

I'm re-watching How to Get Away with Murder. Viola Davis' performance is awesome. Connor Walsh is my role model.

I watch Hannibal too! I'm the only one in my family who can stand it because they're more like CSI/NCIS fans, although I do love the shows as well. I loved Hannibal ever since the first episode.

I can't stand GoT. My friends are all hyped about it but imo the show is so bad, there's no redeeming quality on that show.

iZombie (season finale was last week). The premise sounded really dumb, but it's actually really fun. The main character actress Rose McIver is perfect for the role, and she looks awesome too with the makeup.

I'm also a Hannibal fan even though it's so grotesque, haha. I still need to catch up on S2, but I know what happens already so I'll probably just skip to S3.

The first episode of Humans on Channel 4 is excellent - it reminds me a lot of Time of Eve if it were set in England. I highly recommend it.

I'm re-watching How to Get Away with Murder. Viola Davis' performance is awesome. Connor Walsh is my role model.

I watch Hannibal too! I'm the only one in my family who can stand it because they're more like CSI/NCIS fans, although I do love the shows as well. I loved Hannibal ever since the first episode.

I can't stand GoT. My friends are all hyped about it but imo the show is so bad, there's no redeeming quality on that show.
I've heard good things about Hannibal. It's based on the character from Silence of the Lamb's right?

As for GoT, I was really into last season but the current one has been pretty boring. If you don't mind me asking, what did you dislike about the show?
iZombie (season finale was last week). The premise sounded really dumb, but it's actually really fun. The main character actress Rose McIver is perfect for the role, and she looks awesome too with the makeup.

I'm also a Hannibal fan even though it's so grotesque, haha. I still need to catch up on S2, but I know what happens already so I'll probably just skip to S3.
I've also heard good things about iZombie. Although it has the same creator as Veronica Mars and I wasn't too hot on that show. Or at least the few bits I've seen of it.

I've heard good things about Hannibal. It's based on the character from Silence of the Lamb's right?

Yes, although the series hasn't got up to that point yet, not even close. The films are Red Dragon > Hannibal > Silence of the Lambs in chronological order and as of yet, the series has only just started to show elements of Red Dragon. I believe the plan is for seven series, three to build up to the events that are shown in the three films, each of which will then be told in a series, and then do an epilogue series afterwards. That's what was planned at least, I don't know if it's still on track for that.

I'm halfway through the series Black Mirror. All the episodes are stand-alone - a bit like the Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits - but most of them are written by journalist/presenter/comedian Charlie Brooker.

Being a Brooker production, it's cynical, satirical and very clever. It's not really funny like Weekly Wipe or How TV Ruined Your Life though...just a sharply-written SF commentary about our relationship with technology and social media. One of my friends recommended it to me, I found it on Netflix and now I can't stop watching. :@_@:

I've actually been meaning to get into Black Mirror for nearly a year or so now, probably should get on that. Keep hearing great stuff about it.

Saw the movies "The Cobbler" (Adam Sandler in a non-comedy role) and "Chappie" (same maker as District 9 and with Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver).

Both were good although the latter had a fair amount of rough language and violence.

I watched Inside Out last night, and I mainly watch animated movies beside anime, but murder dramas like Criminal Minds and Castle are the best!

I introduced my dad to Netflix now that I'm staying with the family for a while, and we ended up watching the whole first season of Marco Polo. It's a bit heavy-going and not recommended for people who are squeamish about nudity and violence (lots of sword fights and naked concubines!) but the political intrigue is interesting. Great outfits and landscapes too.

Omg @Martin I've read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell! One of the few books I've genuinely enjoyed in a long time, perfect combination of my two loves - fantasy and period/historical literature with just the right light sprinkling of romance (I used to be able to pick up any book and just power right through it to the end but for some reason in the last few years I've developed a super pickiness and commitment issues with books so it's really hard for me to find something I like enough to read to the end :uh..: )
Anyway, I did not know that they're making a BBC series of it! :omg: must check that out :stars:

Watched Inside Out some time ago with friends...not gonna lie, a few tears were shed (though I do cry very easily). Also watching the new season of Teen Wolf (don't judge! It's my guilty pleasure ok XD)

On the flight over:
さいはてにて / The Furthest End Awaits (live action)
http://www.saihatenite.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3524792/
[edit]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3PJYKnYNS4
Recommended

At Movix Saitama, last Friday:
日本のいちばん長い日 / The Emperor in August (live action)
http://shochikufilms.com/product/the-emperor-in-august
http://nihon-ichi.jp/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4289340/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEWiHiiCkk
also recommended

At Petersburg 13 cinema Yokohama last Monday:
氷川丸ものがたり / Hikawa Maru monogatari (anime)
http://www.mushi-pro.co.jp/hikawamaru/bing_chuan_wantesuto/TOP.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaEdLADBG4
also recommended

Last edited:
I'm watching a lot of things. Many movies.
TV Series like Supernatural, 24, Breaking Bad, Hercules Legendary Journeys / Xena, The Walking Dead

currently the only show I've been watching is Algernon ni Hanataba wo (based off the book Flowers for Algernon). When Sherlock and Downton Abbey come back on I'll be watching those. I'm also looking forward to this new Victorian show called "Dark Angel" which features Joanne Froggatt, but they've only just started filming

tbh, anime's kinda dropped from my radar. The only one I still keep up with is Detective Conan, lol. Never finished ufotable's f/sn

a friend introduced me to a new show called Outlander. It's got history, it's got folk lore, it's got herbalism... I think I'll love it. The first episode's "witches" dance was just so chilling and beautiful. I want to watch that scene again.

Over the last few months:

Hanako to anne - About time, I was hooked from the get go until Renko left HAHAHA.Great show.

White Collar Season 5 - Plot plot plot. Never say no to Neal in suits.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 - It started as a way to pass time but hey, turns out it's pretty good.

After watching Heroes and White collar I'm amused when Adrian Pasdar and Tim DeKay made an appearance.
That "I KNOW THIS GUY" and "Isn't he from ()?" response.

And oh Jemma ❤

Reactions: aki
Aside from Anime, I've been rewatching Episodes from Code Lyoko which I originally watched in my Childhood. Code Lyoko was made in France Originally before coming to Cartoon Network English Dubbed. It sort of has the feel of an Anime in the sense that the episodes are part of a larger storyline, and the plot and characters overall are serious compared to the more constantly comedic nature of other shows. and it became my favorite show before getting into Anime. It was the only reason I still watched CN for awhile until it as well as Toonami were taken off air around 2007-2008. (I know Toonami has returned since then, but there was never a need to return to CN or Toonami after watching Anime through Internet Streaming Services)

I also watch movies with my family from time to time. Overall I don't really watch regular TV

Back