What are you listening to right NOW?

• Thread starter Thread starter Daichi
  • Start date Start date
One of my weird favorite pastime is watching/relistening to some songs from YKL/Kalafina lives that I knew I didn't like because I wanted some self reassurance that "oh yeah this is shit" or how maybe my opinion would change by giving them another listen.

Hitorigoto from live#16

the way Keiko sang her solo was very obnoxious, I hate when she used that staccato-esque way of singing. the fact that no one pointed this out on their rehearsal was frustrating like girl you sounded awful singing like this... give her the reality check so she stopped doing it (all this comes with a very good intention)

Last edited:
One of my weird favorite pastime is watching/relistening to some songs from YKL/Kalafina lives that I knew I didn't like because I wanted some self reassurance that "oh yeah this is shit" or how maybe my opinion would change by giving them another listen.

Hitorigoto from live#16

the way Keiko sang her solo was very obnoxious, I hate when she used that staccato-esque way of singing. the fact that no one pointed this out on their rehearsal was frustrating like girl you sounded awful singing like this... give her the reality check so she stopped doing it (all this comes with a very good intention)
gIRL...

https://youtu.be/AbYCe8H0Dwo?si=XjQZDqCLxWTQKFT7

Kalafina Performs "Oblivious" Live at Nico Fare - HD Remaster

I really get to hear their voices live-live. You can hear the frailties and inconsistencies, but I always appreciate being able to accurately listen to their voices and not just have the "studio-magic" versions. I remember arguing with someone years ago about Hikaru not doing any of the head voice parts in their songs and this proves that wrong.

https://youtu.be/irVVhvGLNEg?si=mAF-j4DbBrag6fuW

Kalafina Performs "Oblivious" Live at Nico Fare - HD Remaster

This was lovely to hear them sing live and was probably more consistent than some of the others.

Now I am REALLY curious to hear FictionJunction cover these 3 songs (Heavenly Blue, Oblivious, Aleluia), knowing that there would be reliable soprano and head voice vocals on hand. I think it would get the vocal harmonies to sound next-level (as intended).

https://youtu.be/51RMhmQESFQ?si=77JlnQEES8we3VUm

Keiko Sings "Change The World's Colour" and "Look at the Cherry Blossoms"

The first song was challenging for Keiko to sing, especially being so fast! (I would ideally be interested in hearing Hikaru cover it since it's verse range is not too high though, on second thought, overall it needs lots of pitch and register jumps, and Hikaru has next-to-no falsetto/head voice register anymore). 😞

another post of me revisiting live performances that I didn't like and giving it another try:

Parallel Hearts from YKL19

I think I'm fine with them never performing this song live ever again lmao. Kaori was awful, at some parts she didn't sound like herself (likely due to heavy post process edit - tbh Kaori never really nailed this song, even since 2009) and Joelle was singing it like it was a pop ballad... it's a really weird sensation because technically she was phenomenal but I really really don't like her approach to the song

another post of me revisiting live performances that I didn't like and giving it another try:

Parallel Hearts from YKL19

I think I'm fine with them never performing this song live ever again lmao. Kaori was awful, at some parts she didn't sound like herself (likely due to heavy post process edit - tbh Kaori never really nailed this song, even since 2009) and Joelle was singing it like it was a pop ballad... it's a really weird sensation because technically she was phenomenal but I really really don't like her approach to the song
I must listen again Kaoris parts although I might be a bit biased towards her but I always thought of Parallel Hearts as a song in which Wakana sounded the best. I still love her "hitori de" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-OnvAR_AhY
[Vietsub - Kara] Oblivious - TypeMoon Fes 10th anniversary

I noticed the difference in how Wakana, and Hikaru in turn, took the haunting vocalization with Hanae in the backing track. Wakana stopped singing before the end of the phrase (exposing Hanae's voice) while Hikaru sang through the line to the end... Just saying...

Last edited:
Back