What are you listening to right NOW?

I just listened to Calling. So good.

Black Bird-Maon Kurosaki (she sings with such emotion, made me cry the first time hearing it. For some reason it reminds me of Mulan.)

The Matrix Resurrections FYC has some PrettyNice moments.
I was very into it particularly in the beginning (multiplied by the fact that I don't remember being into previous Matrix OSTs or being excited for this movie in any way) but then it gets tiresome/boring when you keep listening in one go.

Edit:
I wonder how obnoxiously compressed the regular release will be compared to this.

Last edited:
The Matrix Resurrections FYC has some PrettyNice moments.
I was very into it particularly in the beginning (multiplied by the fact that I don't remember being into previous Matrix OSTs or being excited for this movie in any way) but then it gets tiresome/boring when you keep listening in one go.

Edit:
I wonder how obnoxiously compressed the regular release will be compared to this.
The movie isn't even out right? Surprised to see it coming before the regular release too.
I doubt anyone cares but personally, out of all the Matrix OSTs, only Neodammerung and Navras from the third movie caught my attention. These are what I call "good boss music" lol. Not same composers though :/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOtoIBrBAYEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjFDLGhtGIkAnyway I'll wait to see the movie first... also makes me realize that we're not getting the "Keanu Day" (John Wick 4 was postponed...).

I can warn you there are no such choirs/vocals in the FYC at least.
Very strings/piano!/electonica. Almost as if they took this lil part as a starting point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGrAlG-ue1k#t=1m36s
and then amplified it, added a lot of solid rythmic base, etc. (I'm sure there might be a better track on previous OSTs to use as an example, I'm just not that familiar with them.)

Hopefully you'll like it. I'll be looking into the official release whenever that might come.

Last edited:
lolz, seems many musically inclined people are not liking this score at all: "generic", "yudoDonDavislikedat", etc.
Oh well. It's not like I thought this was amazing (or not tiresome as a whole) but I enjoy what I enjoy (but if they compress it with with another 3+dB on the official release, it's gonna be obnoxious). Guess I'm a basic bish. Wheeeeee.

Edit:
Thinking about it some more - it doesn't really introduce any new themes so I get it. I guess I just like the sound of it. v( ' ')v

And why am I even trying justifying anything? So dum. :|

Last edited:
Just noticed the tracklisting for Matrix4 OST and wow, the score part is actually 6 tracks longer compared to the FYC. Don't think I will care for the bonus remixes but maybe they are hype, lol.

Coming this Friday, Dec 17. Fingers crossed they didn't overdo it with the gain knob during mastering, lulz.

@Justisamuel The Wheel of Time s01e04 FYC, sheesh @ mastering differences between this and OST.
It still doesn't sound that great but I don't know what they are doing on those official releases. Both with compression (GOTTA BE LOUD ABOVE ALL) and boosting frequencies (GOTTA PIERCE DEM EARS). Obviously this is not an issue exclusive to Balfe's soundtracks but times we've been living in for some time now. Poo.

Raining Arrows/Arrows Fall is actually listenable on the FYC.
Wish it were lossless. (And full season complete. Alas... ^_^)

Last edited:
@Justisamuel The Wheel of Time s01e04 FYC, sheesh @ mastering differences between this and OST.
Noice, wasn't aware of that. Will try to listen carefully to those differences, but gotta admit (and probably you already know that) I'm not that demanding for the mastering, as long as the music is here. I mean, my fav composer alongside Kajiura is a shit at mastering.
Anyway.
Last OST for The Weed of Time is coming tomorrow with the last episode.
Btw how did you find Balfe's "Silent Night" (and its mastering)? #184
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nZthfaCEXU

Well then, hope you still enjoy the Wheel of Time FYC despite it not being as loud. lol? ;p
I wonder how much more soundtrack music I'd enjoy, if I didn't dismiss it as HURTSMYEARS fast.

I've not heard Balfe's Silent Night actually. I clicked it but I don't really care for Christmas or Christmas music lol... so... ya... there's that...

the Wheel of Time s1 vol.3 is a better Witcher soundtrack than the Witcher season 2. Granted I was ready to hate the Witcher s2 OST from the get go with the change of composers but I think I would've found it dull regardless.

the Matrix Resurrections OST is more compressed than the FYC but that was expected and - thankfully - I don't think it's overdone at all. Still think the same as on the FYC - I'm into the OST at the start and then get tired/bored after a while. The extra tracks sadly aren't doing anything new either. Remixes aren't anything worth bothering with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWz4wzfyMsimo The First Turn >>> vol 2 > vol 1 > vol 3. This last album includes the still not brodcasted finale episode 8, right? Would have expected a more grandiose musical conclusion to the series. And what's up with this new album cover that doesn't follow the 2 first ones?
7h30 of Balfe so far this year, and this is not over yet ^^' #185

And yes, this Witcher S2 OST ain't no good, in the end. Not really disappointed as I don't really care for the show or the composers.

Ya, does seem like the music takes a back seat in these final eps... That said, I liked War Council and From the West.

On the flipside, Life or Death is absolutely obnoxious. Hurts my ears. And 7 minutes at that. Yegads.
(I wonder if this might be hypocritical coming from me after kinda enjoying the Matrix 4 OST? Oh well.)

I still did not go back to the First Turn.

Last edited:
#186 Spider-Man: No Way Home / Michael Giacchino, and some Danny Elfman, James Horner, Hans Zimmer & The Magnificient Six!
https://youtu.be/lxkS0OzkUCI?t=87https://youtu.be/PDmE1thmRFI?t=313
Such an historic moment in film history. Tobey Maguire x Andrew Garfield x Tom Holland! Couldn't dodge the spoilers on it sadly, but still didn't expect all villains and cast to come back. Just missing the iconic James Franco but maybe they did want to avoid problems with Dane Dehaan, or Marvel wants to cast him for another role in a future movie. #JusticeForAndrew : touching to see him successfully saving MJ in the same way he failed with her late Gwen 🥲 Immense applause for Marvel's huge ambition.

In this movie, we can hear some musical references to the old movies. First trilogy had Danny Elfman, while the second had the late James Horner, and then Hans Zimmer & The Magnificient Six. Unfortunately, Zimmer's electro theme only pops up at itself during some seconds, Horner's theme is barely covered, but Elfman's iconic theme gets the most attention with several reprises. I used to love this theme!

Some will also notice the awkward moment in the credits when the names of Tom Holkenborg and Danny Elfman appear side-to-side for each of their own contributions. Do remember that Holkenborg was canned and replaced by Elfman on the first version of Justice League, but came back on Zack Snyder's Justice League, embarrassing Elfman with a 4 hours long soundtrack...!

Back