Wakana solo career

Iunno, it could be really live but the breathing sounds weird with the video footage. v( '')v
Maybe she really is this composed now with breathing... but that's some real miracles happening this year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to some new songs.
Kinmokusei: I like the music and arrangement, but the high notes in the refrain seriously hurt my hears. That key change on the last refrain *shudders*.
Nagareboshi: is boring.
Kioku no hito: Someone explain tessitura and vocal range to the composer plis. Some of those low notes are pretty much just air. High notes hurt my ears again. And it's also boring, hue.

Iunno, it could be really live but the breathing sounds weird with the video footage. v( '')v
Maybe she really is this composed now with breathing... but that's some real miracles happening this year...

It's uploaded by Flying Dog so I expect that footage already went through some edits...

@Kowz where did you listen to some of the new songs? Is the preview already available?

Putting aside Wakana's singing completely, I'm very pleasantly surprised by the actual compositions themselves. I was expecting something like Remi's first solo album Fairy Dance which had like 3 songs out of 12 that didn't make me fall asleep even though I love her voice but so far I like 3 out of the 5 songs I've heard (not counting covers) and tsubasa is definitely my favorite.

Last edited:
Lmao maybe I'm too stupid or I just scrolled too fast i couldn't find anything other than Kinmokusei. Like pretty much everyone else, I'm liking the arrangement but Wakana's unstable and honky singing hurt this song a little bit too much. I was already cringing at the second note. The song itself is imo kinda boring and Wakana really needs someone to harmonize with her to soften the overall honkiness in her voice.

And looking at Tsubasa's lyrics! She wrote it herself and it's screaming such confidence. Good job Wakana! Maybe I'm looking into it a bit too much but looking at the lyrics and how she alluded how she'd embark on a new neverending journey not being afraid by anything else, spreading her own invisible wings and how she wrote that she screamed it all by herself really makes me think that she's really leaving all Kalafina and Kajiura memory behind, and go expanding and experiencing new things all by herself. You go girl!

Miss Wakana making such a bold choice of leaving Kajiura and remain active on pursuing her own career, not blindly devoted to Kajiura is such a mood. We stan one independent woman.

Lmao maybe I'm too stupid or I just scrolled too fast i couldn't find anything other than Kinmokusei.

You're probably not losing much, the two missing songs are the ones we think are boring. ;P They (and kinmokusei) are currently on the 3rd page of Putschki's tumblr (at least for me) under the headline "Wakana on music×serendipity TwitCast & other radio recordings".

You're probably not losing much, the two missing songs are the ones we think are boring. ;P They (and kinmokusei) are currently on the 3rd page of Putschki's tumblr (at least for me) under the headline "Wakana on music×serendipity TwitCast & other radio recordings".

Welp. In that case I haven't scrolled long enough. I thought it was recent so I didn't scroll that much on just went back and through the more recent ones. Thank you so much!

I really like nagareboshi. It's so chill, a song I could just passively listen to while working.

So I listened to Nagareboshi and Kioku no Hito and my impression is that I would like both songs more if they're only instrumental. The instrumental and how it's arranged is pretty much sleep inducing and very relaxing, so contrast with how tense and strained Wakana sounded (especially in Kioku no Hito). What surprised me is the low notes in Kioku no Hito aren't even that low, but as @Kowz has said, they're pretty much just air. And the refrain is just strain-fiesta. But overall the album sounded like what you'd expect from Wakana's solo release, almost everything is on the slower side. So far the only song I'm impressed with is only Tsubasa.

She really needs some proper vocal coaching to improve her vocal placement, btw. I just hope that she has actually improved herself from the time she recorded those songs.

The Kinmouseki song gives me Rikki vibes. So far enjoying most of the songs. I guess the formula was combine mediocre singing with good composers, arrangement and players. Only so much you can do with an amateur voice after all.

Can someone pm me the link ?

Lmao maybe I'm too stupid or I just scrolled too fast i couldn't find anything other than Kinmokusei. Like pretty much everyone else, I'm liking the arrangement but Wakana's unstable and honky singing hurt this song a little bit too much. I was already cringing at the second note. The song itself is imo kinda boring and Wakana really needs someone to harmonize with her to soften the overall honkiness in her voice.

And looking at Tsubasa's lyrics! She wrote it herself and it's screaming such confidence. Good job Wakana! Maybe I'm looking into it a bit too much but looking at the lyrics and how she alluded how she'd embark on a new neverending journey not being afraid by anything else, spreading her own invisible wings and how she wrote that she screamed it all by herself really makes me think that she's really leaving all Kalafina and Kajiura memory behind, and go expanding and experiencing new things all by herself. You go girl!

Miss Wakana making such a bold choice of leaving Kajiura and remain active on pursuing her own career, not blindly devoted to Kajiura is such a mood. We stan one independent woman.

Its sure very nice she pursues her solo career and im happy about it but she is not the only one doing it,pretty much every other singer Kajiura works with also does (Kaori Oda, Yuriko, Asuka, Eri, Hanae, Kasahara, Yuuka until she had that health issue) and dont forget she is the oldest in Kalafina -and thus more mature- i consider it a brave step but its not a first seen 🙂

Personally,I'm sort of new to this whole judging a singer by how well she sings, because i'm from sound horizon where they pick singers based on how well they suit the role and character they are playing, not necessarily from how well they can sing. But personally i like this "honkiness" in wakana's voice - it reminds me of a saxophone! To me wakana is like a saxophone crossed with a violin!
I had the instinct to disagree with you at first once I saw the praising of her honkiness, but actually whenever I sing her songs or cover her vocals in Kalafina’s discography, I use a honky voice too to mimick her style and I gotta say it’s kinda fun and I enjoy doing so. So in a way... I do agree with you and it does make her voice interesting!

It’s fortunately not as annoying as the nasally voice YUUKA has. Oh boy.

I had the instinct to disagree with you at first once I saw the praising of her honkiness, but actually whenever I sing her songs or cover her vocals in Kalafina’s discography, I use a honky voice too to mimick her style and I gotta say it’s kinda fun and I enjoy doing so. So in a way... I do agree with you and it does make her voice interesting!

It’s fortunately not as annoying as the nasally voice YUUKA has. Oh boy.

Completely agree about that point of mimicking the honkiness in Wakana's voice when singing her/Kalafina songs. The funny thing is I don't use the honky tone when singing their older songs where she still sounded like a strong woman (like in oblivious/Ashita no Keshiki studio ver) but sing in an incredibly honky tone while singing Kantankatan or singing along to oblivious live version.

About Yuuka, her voice does take some time to get used to but I'm really liking how she sounded in YKL4 and I personally think that that is the Kajiura live where the live sounds much better than the recording. Mostly because it has Nozaki on drum and Yuuka didn't sound like she's bored/uninterested. Which imo happens a lot in Yuuka's studio releases. And for side note, at least Yuuka's tone is her natural tone and she sounded "open" most time when singing...meanwhile Wakana's honkiness is a problem of her bad technique.

Personally,I'm sort of new to this whole judging a singer by how well she sings, because i'm from sound horizon where they pick singers based on how well they suit the role and character they are playing, not necessarily from how well they can sing. But personally i like this "honkiness" in wakana's voice - it reminds me of a saxophone! To me wakana is like a saxophone crossed with a violin!
Well, sure... but even if you don't JUDGE her by that, you can surely TELL the difference between how she's doing in these new solo lives and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agEocA8rDFk for example. (And even the original studio recording of Toki wo like mentioned before.) I dare not link anything from YKvol7 ustream.

Oooh that video reminds me that they also sang heavenly blue on that live and the video was once uploaded to youtube... People think that they sounded weird but funnily one person blamed Hikaru and saying she was out of tune and then so many people were agreeing with her, while in reality Hikaru actually did fine. It was Wakana who was almost permanently out of tune. I think that particular video has since been deleted.

Kinda nitpicky @grunty but ustream was YKL9. To be fair we DO have audio recording of YKL7 and Wakana was as bad as in YKL9. It's amazing how she didn't get any note right singing Image Theme of Xenosaga II. It was quite impressive in a bad way that it got etched in my memory.

Back