Utada Hikaru

Utada’s One Last Kiss snippet is amazing! I’m loving her new style.
I like it but I don't really think it feels that "new" for her? Not that it's a bad thing.

Dem fugly ass CG EVAs though. ;p

Last edited:
One Last Kiss has been released!! Feeling a little ambivalent about it though..the teaser basically gave you the whole song which was kinda disappointing. Still lovely chill song. Feels a little coldplayish at times.

It's okay. I'd like it more if the climax was another minute longer.

Now what I hate is the actual single. I hate overlapped tracks so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Ry2dM0B34
That repeating "pink blood pink blood" is bleh but the rest of the song is v cute. I like.

I'm also here for sexyUtada.

Edit: Also, appreciation points for Sony actually uploading hires shit internationally (and at decent prices compared to Universal&Fantome-era).

Last edited:
I really like the song, which is a good thing because I really didn’t like Pink Blood. Like George said, Utada’s voice is great, and I love the ‘Stay Gold’-esque piano melody that was played. The chorus also reminded me of Animato, which is good because that means that it’s like two songs I like.

There’s also apparently going to be an English version, which is awesome!

Last edited:
Oh wow, when they uploaded that teaser 2 weeks ago with no real info other than "2022" I figured it wouldn't come out in the first half of the year. Fun.

Last edited:
Here’s a diazepam
We can each take half of
Or we can roll one up
However the night goes…

The song is catchy. I’m excited!

I've not listened to the album yet but I see One Last Kiss is 4:09 which is shorter than the PV and even the single version (which was crossfaded with the next song on the single).

It would appear that Utada does not want me to have the full version of the song, lol.

There's always the hope that the PV included with the album BD/DVD has high quality audio (and is long like the youtube version).

Edit: Oh wait, it could be complete. I just noticed how much silence the PV has at the start. I should just buy the damn album already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJGCeAWIfEA
The full song is groovy.

lol the album has an "explicit" rating because of this song

Last edited:
Because of the F word ? Or the Netflix and Uber Eats advertisemrnt ? 😂

I do like song its kinda jazzy / electronic and she seems to be high on the PV.

I waited for the Liner Notes to come out, so here’s my review!

I’m very fond of the title track (“Bad Mode”). It’s a great way to open up the album. I definitely get a kind of ‘clubbing’ vibe from the composition. There’s also a lot of smooth vocals, ambitious lyrics, and atmosphere building throughout the track. Great start!

I’ve already talked about how much I like Kimi ni Muchū, so I’ll keep it brief. It’s very ‘Utada’-esque, if that makes sense? Like Bad Mode, there’s a lot of smooth vocals and tone immersion. It’s always a joy to listen to. (Also hopefully its English Version sees the light of day eventually.)

One Last Kiss was probably my “Song of 2021.” It’s such an emotional rollercoaster, every single time I listen to it. Honestly it’s difficult for me to describe this song, but it’s certainly my favorite off the album.

Then Pink Blood shows up, which I don’t like. It’s only, like, three minutes, but it feels so much longer than that. There‘s just not enough much going on to keep my attention, and I never like listening to it.

I don’t mind Time, but it’s not my kind of song. I certainly respect how it builds its atmosphere, but the composition is still a bit messy and the drum beat aggravates me for whatever reason.

Kibun Ja Nai No . . . I think I like it? Like “Time” and “One Last Kiss”, it’s very atmospheric/cinematic. I do appreciate that with longer songs sometimes. Anyways, I do think it goes on a bit too long, but I do enjoy it. The part with Utada’s son was adorable, and the “Hey, how are you?” Segment was probably a highlight of the album for me. I just get an image of her staring out the the window at the night sky, and it’s very calming.

I was surprised to enjoy Darenimo Iwanai as much as I did. I keep saying the word “atmospheric”, but Iwanai’s sax and drums just encapsulate that! I’ve honestly fallen in love with the song. I’ve never minded it before, but WOW.

I like how Find Love is in English, but like Time it’s not my kind of song. I don’t find the arrangement very pleasing, and some of the lyrical choices are . . . Odd. I prefer the Japanese Version (Kirei na Hito), but it’s not a favorite of mine.

Speaking of unflattering arrangements . . . I hate “Face My Fears”. All of them. The last remix is SLIGHTLY better but still so unbelievably chaotic. The regular versions start out alright, but then the synths come on and I wait for the song to end.

Somewhere Near Marseilles is one of the most boring songs I’ve heard in my life. There’s not enough going on or being said to justify its TWELVE MINUTE RUNTIME. ARGHHHHH!

Oh and “Beautiful World: Da Capo” is also a favorite. There’s some creative arrangement choices and it’s such a whirlwind of a song. I wish that a “new” song would have been on the album instead of it, but I’m not about to complain because I love it!

Overall . . . Yeah, Fantôme is still my favorite of the post-hiatus albums. It’s the only one where I love every song on there. Hatsukoi is likely second. There’s some songs I’m not very fond of, but still plenty of bangers to make up for it. This one, on the other hand, is certainly experimental. I appreciate that, but I still left the album with five songs that I never want to hear again, and three/four that have yet to click with me. It’s still a solid effort, though, and I’m excited to see what Utada has in store for the future!

Last edited:
Finally got the album (yes, I know I'm late).

BAD MODE, great.
Kimini Muchuu, it's alright but not my fav.
One Last Kiss, still pretty good. Love the last minute.
PINK BLOOD, sometimes the repeating "pink blood pink blood" gets annoying but again, it's great and I love the last minute or so.
Time, I think it grew on me quite a bit since the original release cause I remember its rhythmic patterns throwing me off. I feel like this is the most throwback-ish track to Hikki's early days.
Kibunja Naino, I actually love it. But it's definitely one that you need to be in a mood for because of the length.
Darenimo Iwanai, still love. Such a deliciously clean arrangement.
Find Love/Kireina Hito, it's alright and I prefer the Japanese version. Kind of disappointed the last minute didn't kick it up a notch but maybe there's already been too many Hikki tracks where the last minute goes into hype overdrive for me.
Face My Fears, I refuse to listen to this garbage again.
Somewhere Near Marseilles, I'm not sure. It feels like a DUB/remix that you would find on Remix EPs/singles - except we never got to hear the original. There are parts that I -really- like and I don't dislike it as a whole BUT I might need a 4-5minute single version edit. As it is, I probably would've ended it somewhere around the 8th minute mark, before the vocal comes back.
Beautiful World Da Capo, I didn't like it on the single and I don't care for it here either. There's something about it that's grating to me.
Face My Fears AG Cook Remix, way better than the original but I don't like how her vocal is processed. Maybe it's inherent to the original recording.

Last edited:
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/ESCL-5925

Hikaru Utada to release the first greatest hits album! Of the 26 songs on the album, three were newly re-recorded for the album and ten are new mixed versions. In addition, this album contains "Naniiro demo nai Hana" as well as a new song! The limited edition comes housed in a special 188mm square digipak with a lenticular design on the front cover. A 36-page all-color booklet (H186 x W184.5mm) is enclosed. Comes with a serial code for the ticket of the national tour held in summer 2024 (system requirements unknown).
*Since this product is extremely limited, only one copy may be purchased by a customer.

[Bonus Track] Somewhere Near Marseilles -Marseilles Atari- (Sci-Fi Edit)

only track I'm interested in :p
That song ended up being so bloody addictive in my case.

Bold of her to re-record so many classics. Wonder if they are going to be complete re-interpretations or the same as the old versions, just re-recorded.

Back