The K-pop Discussion Thread

^Same here. I just finished listening through the full album and I really really liked the majority of the songs, though I think that's more a testament to how good SM's songwriters are rather than anything else tho lol (Kingdom Come and Perfect 10 are really good).

Peek a Boo itself though was a really great song, the last RV comeback I kinda liked was Dumb Dumb. Russian Roulette, Rookie, and Red Flavor were all just kinda meh for me. But yeah, while I really like a lot of their songs, I'm just not able to like them, and it's a shame because I actually really want to.
One of the biggest reasons for that is the voice thing too, completely agree there.
I actually never noticed the thing about their choreo though, so I went back and watched some live performances and yeah I can definetely see it. :/ They seem so unsynchronized (even in the Peek a boo MV) and in live performances they have like no stage presence at all compared to f(x)

Sidenote: My Second Date sounds like it totally could be a f(x) song, whenever I hear that sing talking I just instantly think Sulli lol
Second Sidenote: Attaboy kinda sounded kinda weird at first (I'm not a big fan of Irene's rapping), but omg those harmonies and countermelodies are soooo goooooood

Last edited by a moderator:
^Same here. I just finished listening through the full album and I really really liked the majority of the songs, though I think that's more a testament to how good SM's songwriters are rather than anything else tho lol (Kingdom Come and Perfect 10 are really good).

Peek a Boo itself though was a really great song, the last RV comeback I kinda liked was Dumb Dumb. Russian Roulette, Rookie, and Red Flavor were all just kinda meh for me. But yeah, while I really like a lot of their songs, I'm just not able to like them, and it's a shame because I actually really want to.
One of the biggest reasons for that is the voice thing too, completely agree there.
I actually never noticed the thing about their choreo though, so I went back and watched some live performances and yeah I can definetely see it. :/ They seem so unsynchronized (even in the Peek a boo MV) and in live performances they have like no stage presence at all compared to f(x)

Sidenote: My Second Date sounds like it totally could be a f(x) song, whenever I hear that sing talking I just instantly think Sulli lol
Second Sidenote: Attaboy kinda sounded kinda weird at first (I'm not a big fan of Irene's rapping), but omg those harmonies and countermelodies are soooo goooooood

My internet connection was bad when I streamed Peek a boo live and whenever the video buffered they're really not synchronized. All 5 members are in different positions at the same time. Like honestly the only member who has stage presence was Seulgi, followed by Wendy (because she's the best vocally and her tone is also the most different one). Yeri was added later to RV and I think she wasn't even needed other than to look pretty. Imo she's even worse than Sulli. Sulli at least actually was really good before her scandal and lost her motivation to perform on stage.

Random notes: I had a dream about Victoria last night. She was performing her solo song and she was in Korea. The song was in Korean and it had a real cool choreography in the middle, something like a fusion between ballet and modern dance. And then there's a random interview with the audiences. The event was like an international event, held outdoor with tons of foreigners. That was really cool and weird at the same time lol

Voted on MAMA for the 1st time. Tbh i did it for fun and i voted for the least popular nominees for almost all categories. Voted from phone and it took me almost 30 minutes to vote omg

Lol, I only voted for Mama once (only did it for Taemin tbh) and it was such a hassle I don't wanna do it ever again lol . I have a newfound respect for those who crazily log in every day and vote, like how do you get into the mindset to do that every day lol, crazy fangirls xD

EXO seems to be winning everything rn, but BTS is really really close to catching up on some of them, so who knows :P

Oh wow, a kpop thread here finally! Hello fellow fans! I'm one of those underrated girl groups fans lol My fav are 9muses and Dreamcatcher^^

Oh wow, a kpop thread here finally! Hello fellow fans! I'm one of those underrated girl groups fans lol My fav are 9muses and Dreamcatcher^^

Cool! Dreamcatcher is a group I've been meaning to listen to for a while, I've just never gotten around to it yet. :P I've heard nothing but good things about them lol

Something else I wanted to mention about Red Velvet that I forgot to say earlier:

I actually much prefer their more R&B focused Velvet side compared to their Red side. While their Red side songs are still good, they're not really original and they don't really stand out compared to SM's other girl groups (cough f(x) ) but I really like their Velvet side because it gives them a chance to really sound original and it helps them set themselves apart from other girl groups out there.

Like their Velvet side does a lot of traditional R&B songs (like Automatic, Kingdom Come, Perfect 10, Be Natural), which are songs I could never see f(x) or SNSD doing, for example. It's good for RV because it shows they're finally developing their own sound and aren't just another boring uninspired girl group.
When it comes to their Red side though, that doesn't hold as true because there are definetely a lot of their Red side tracks (Don't You Wait No More, Red Dress, Attaboy (The rap in this song sounds SO F(X)-ish, omg), My Second Date) that I could definetely see f(x) or other groups doing, but at least their Velvet side is original, and at the very least, it shows the group's flexibility and versability.

Still will always prefer f(x), but it's nice to know there's a R&B girl group I can listen to to satisfy my R&B needs lol

Cool! Dreamcatcher is a group I've been meaning to listen to for a while, I've just never gotten around to it yet. :P I've heard nothing but good things about them lol

Me too. I've heard and read a lot about dreamcatcher but always forgot to check them out.

And yes to that bit about RV. Tbh their Velvet side imo is their real side, or the side where the RV members can actually shine and set them apart from other girl groups. The problem is that people tend to look for catchy and happy songs in girl groups, so imo if RV came forth with their Velvet side concept they'd be less well known and SM wouldn't be happy. I just wish all the best for every girl groups. I think Girl groups had it harder on their trainee days compared to boy groups but sadly people slept on girl groups more than on boy groups.

This is very random but as you all might know Taemin's face is used for so many memes. For the 1st time in my Kpop fanboying life I saw a person described those memes as "Taememes" and I burst out laughing so early in the morning :XD:

^ LMFAO that's hilarious (here are some of my favorite 'Taememe' posts just because. my sig is included xD)
Co8fhvvUsAAYn2o.jpg
10454177_801312440000675_1067901556_n.jpg
C3SSPhOUoAA7sXD.jpg
Cb6QJ1aUAAEmqxO.jpg

Going to repost what I posted on my Instagram here:

Anyone who's known me for a while knew how much I loved SHINee, so hearing the news today (that SHINee's main vocalist Kim Jonghyun has committed suicide) has left me shaking and a crying mess for the past few hours and I'm just in utter shock.
I've been following SHINee since I was in middle school and their music has majorly impacted my life and saved me from some pretty dark times.

I've made some great friends through our shared interests in SHINee. I wrote a 60 page paper about SHINee. Jonghyun has been my ultimate bias for over 5 years. I own many of their albums. My dorm room is covered in posters of them. This absolutely changes everything and I don't know how I'm going to deal with this. I can't even fucking imagine how heartbroken both his family and the other members of SHINee are right now.

He was just such a beautiful person, both inside and out. I loved his unique and incredibly distinct voice, and the fact that he was one of the few artists in the industry who actually composed and wrote all his own music. I knew Jonghyun was struggling with depression and his mental health for a while now but I just never thought it would come to this. I'm sorry this is so incoherent but I'm just an absolute mess right now and I don't know how to deal with this. I love Jonghyun so much and I just hope he's able to find peace in heaven.

I've been in complete shock ever since I heard about this. I've learned to love and appreciate SHINee over the past months thanks to you @sarasara, and right now I wish I could be there with you, instead of on the other side of the world. Jonghyun had such a great voice, an incredible energy and his talent was unquestionable. I still can't entirely believe what happened.

I've been crying all day nonstop, I just honestly can't believe it. And thank you @KitsuneMiyu, that really means a lot. All us Shawols have to support each other, this is just such a terrible thing and I can't see SHINees future looking bright from here on out.
I'm just so utterly devastated and heartbroken, I can't even look at a picture of him anymore without breaking down, I just feel so fucking empty. Ive loved and supported him for over 5 years and I just can't believe this.
I don't think I'll be able to listen to his music for a very long time, I just can't.

@sarasara @ritardando

I recall both of you are Shawols...stay strong. I'm sorry for such a huge loss. May he RIP.

Thank you so much, it means a lot for us. I woke up crying today and idk if it's true or not but reading the members' reactions after hearing the news that Jonghyun passed away just made my heart break even more and i'm such a sobbing mess rn.i only got to know them for like 3 or 4 months but i've been in too deep and this news is as heartbreaking as knowing someone i knew dearly passed away.

@sarasara me too. I've been actively avoiding shinee and jonghyun's song since yesterday. Even the news that Luna and Amber SM Station song is confirmed and is going to be released on 22nd can't bring smile to my face.

Screenshot_20171218-151154.png

This was his final note. My heart hurts so much I don't think I'll be ok for a long time, I'm so sorry Jonghyun. You did well. I'm glad you're in peace now.

Thank you so much, it means a lot for us. I woke up crying today and idk if it's true or not but reading the members' reactions after hearing the news that Jonghyun passed away just made my heart break even more and i'm such a sobbing mess rn.i only got to know them for like 3 or 4 months but i've been in too deep and this news is as heartbreaking as knowing someone i knew dearly passed away.

@sarasara me too. I've been actively avoiding shinee and jonghyun's song since yesterday. Even the news that Luna and Amber SM Station song is confirmed and is going to be released on 22nd can't bring smile to my face.

God I don't think I can take hearing the other members reactions. I can't imagine how they all feel right now, they've been as close as brothers for so many years. I've been crying all day this is just terrible.

Wow, that suicide note is really sad... him feeling like that for I assume many years is obviously no way to live. Though I don't really listen to Kpop, I saw people on Twitter talking about his death (inc. you sarasara) and wanted to express my condolences to you guys. Hopefully there's light at the end of this tunnel in that possibly South Korea as a society will start to provide more adequate mental health services. Hope you guys get through this ok, I know it's hard loosing someone that you've looked up to for so long :hug:

Back