Tales of series

I hope so, but it's grim news nonetheless. The games may become less frequent, and I fear to think how it might influence the localization policy (as if it wasn't lame enough). :uh..:

Hum, to be honest I think in Tales of it would be good for the games to become less frequent. Let's face it, they release Tales all the time.

Well, there is difference between mothership titles and spin-offs. And releasing the latter every one or two years is common practice in the JRPG field. At least concerning big and famous franchises.

And like I said, of all the Tales they release, we're lucky to see two thirds... :uh..: Namdai is just lazy.

Even if there is difference, it still hurts the franchise to have soooo many games released in such a short time. No wonder FF does not have the good reputation it used to have years ago. The same goes with Tales of (and at least to me it seems there are no major differences among the games, be them mothership titles or not; although I shall not discuss this since I'm not into the franchise). Also, no wonder the JRPG field is nearly dead.

I've started playing Tales of Hearts. I really love this game, but it'll be along while until the full fan translation is out, so I can't wait anymore. The demo patch which covers the first chapter helped me to get the hang of the game, and I'd have gladly used it further (it has most, if not all, menus and item/tech/stat name translated), but the translator decided to make it VERY demo and disabled the game load feature. :wai: :ohoho:

So now it's the second JRPG I'm ever trying to play in Japanese. Trying out every dialogue to progress and working my way through finding similar kanji to orientate in the ability and item menus (since all upgrades here are done with the help of items you find). :XD: Not sure how far I'll progress (I've a got a number of other DS games already started as well, Tales of Innocence among them), but I just like this game a lot. :dote:

Re:

KP-X said:
no wonder the JRPG field is nearly dead.

Hmm no.Try Xenoblade Chronicles when it comes out at your place.Best jrpg i've played in years.A masterpiece.They have it harder to make masterpieces,yes,but they still make some.

On another note,did Tales of Vesperia ever make it to come out for PS3 overseas?? They have been postponing it for years.

I think i'll get Tales of the Abyss for 3ds this Christmas,but now,uh i am a bit busy(and spend lot sof money) bying Skyrim and Legend of Zelda.

I know about Xenoblade Chronicles, but let's see the whole picture. It's one game in a middle of many ones that weren't able to be good. The market is falling apart, be it due to the fact that so many RPGs were produced in the last generation that it got saturated be it that people don't care that much about JRPGs anymore. Xenoblade is one game, it can't hold the market on its own (and it didn't, as far as I remember it didn't sell that much).

Xenoblade didn't sell where? Worldwide you mean?This is normal since it never made it to the US. US is the money :XD: But all jrpg fans in the other places loved it.
Of course 1.It was only out for Wii and 2.The franchise isn't as big name as Final Fantasy but this one game has the best gameplay ever in an rpg game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoblade_ ... nd_release
If you mean that jrpg genre is nearly dead because of the worldwide sells in comparison with other game genres,wasn't it always like that? Except maybe at FFVII & VIII's era? :confu:

Other decent new jrpg on my wishlist: http://www.gamespot.com/resonance-of-fa ... rm/xbox360

Also,i don't know why Gamespot.com says Tales of the Abyss for DS is yet to be realesed at February 14,since apparently it's here already even http://multiplayer.com/videogiochi/nint ... abyss.html
Some of the sites is wrong i know it :knife:

Overall though i agree with you,realesing so many titles isn't going to be good.

edit:sorry for the off topic :innocent:

I meant in Japan. The market is dead there. If you follow the sales of many RPG titles, they didn't sell even there.

Also,i don't know why Gamespot.com says Tales of the Abyss for DS is yet to be realesed at February 14,since apparently it's here already even http://multiplayer.com/videogiochi/nint ... abyss.html

Wow, they released it worldwide at once! :sohappy: Somehow I thought they'd release it in Japan first. But it makes sense, since the translation was already made in the PS2 version. :XD:

I'd love to play Resonance of Fate, too. :dote: I like Tri-Ace games a lot. Too bad that Star Ocean series is concluded and a new Valkyrie Profile game is nowhere to be heard... But it's good they make new games as well.
There's also Shin Megami Tensei series, and it's going as strong as ever. :sparkleguy: And NIS is still active with its bunch of tactical RPGs like Disgaea. With all of them around, JRPG genre will be "dying" for many many years to come. :ohoho: The genre has a solid fanbase which is the main target audience and will continue helpng the games at least get their budget back.

For me, a JRPG must have a nice story, preferably an interesting battle system and a good ability system. TBH, ability grinding is one of the things I like most in JRPG. :XD: Also, I pay attention to the setting, characters, music and such. And I'm quite tolerant about the overall quality. I've payed a good number of JRPGs, I think, and the only one I've ever felt to be boring is SaGa 3. And even that one's passable to my taste. :tea:

Re:

KP-X said:
I meant in Japan. The market is dead there. If you follow the sales of many RPG titles, they didn't sell even there.

Oh i see i see,i wonder why.. :stupidbox:
RPGs is the best game genre ever made(for me...:P) I never watch sales when i want to buy something though..but i check reviews all around...
From what wikipedia says it didn't do that bad,BUT of course that doesn't mean it did well either. :uh..:
That game was asaghdsahdsghafsajfsk.

@Nick:i guess?!?which date is correct then?

Re:

Nick Hunter said:
With all of them around, JRPG genre will be "dying" for many many years to come. :ohoho:

Exactly. You're talking about niche series and about the fans supporting them while I'm talking about the whole. Niche series (or a niche genre, whatever) always manage to survive because of the fans. But that's not enough. Given how the genre was in the top some years ago, we could say the genre is nowadays a sub-sub-genre of the market. It's not enough to have three or four franchises merely managing to exist.

:uh..: :uh..: :uh..: :uh..:

i bought a flash cart for ds just to play tales of innocence
with the english patch...

:knife:
so far so good.

*pats Joel on the shoulder, sings* a piiiiiraaaate liiife is a wonderful liiiife /*is kicked :ohoho:
Don't feel ashamed, that's what Namdai deserves for their localization policy. :voodoo:
I've got several licensed games, but I've been playing them on a flash cart, because it's plain simpler that way, and you have access to a lot of games at once by just rebooting. :XD: Then again, I did buy the licensed Trauma Center for collection even though I've long beaten the story mode. :ayashii:

I love Tales of Innocence - even with bland dungeons and building interiors, it's still awesome. I like its characters, plot, "style" development and battle system. :dote: And absolutely can't forget the opening - it's one of my KOKIA faves, second only to Il Mare dei Suoni. :nosebleed: :nosebleed: :nosebleed:

I've just got Ange, and now am playing with her as the lead... mostly spamming her stealing move. :ohoho: It's full of win when she successfully steals something, bows and says, "Thank you for your donation!" :XD: :XD: :XD:

Also making my way through Tales of Hearts... I don't plan to beat the Japanese version, but I want at least to play as Kohak. So far the only female character I got to control is Beryl, who has a cute voice (Saeko Chiba, btw), but isn't quite efficient in melee due to a heavy oversized brush of hers. Although it's fun even t stand back with her and spam a variety of spells, some of them make up for nice combos. :plot:

Oh, and I decided to give Tales of Destiny a try (even though I intended to play it only after finishing the two remaining FFs on Playstation). Its combat is still mostly automated like Tales of Phantasia, but I like it. And one of the characters' sprites remotely resembles Sayaka Miki, even though her portrait certainly doesn't. :fwa: :sohappy:
But I'm already miffed at learning that Namco ripped away all the character skits for some reason. :uh..: :blood: I wonder if there's a patch to bring them back? :plz:

Finally got to see Tales of Xillia OP, which was animated by a different studio than usual:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFVdi9quDZs&feature=related[/youtube]

Beyond my expectations. If you ask me, the Tales team absolutely should ditch Production I.G. and keep working with Ufotable henceforward. :nosebleed:

Re: Re:

KP-X said:
It's not enough to have three or four franchises merely managing to exist.
Given how about 90% of JRPGs never make it to the US, I don't see how you can make this statement. Granted that the JRPG market is shrinking but that doesn't mean the genre is dying as a whole.

^Well, the fact that 90% of JRPGs never make it to the US shows how the genre has lost its past relevance, as just few years ago the situation was drastically the opposite. Those 90% are the niche series that I mentioned earlier, and as I said, they will always exist, but far from making the genre become (or remain) relevant or successful, making the "sub-genre" that I mentioned earlier.

To sum up what I already said, since that's my point: the genre won't die completely. It has just lost its past relevance and tend to integrate the group of genres that still is made just for a small number of people but the majority of the players will not even listen about the games (with the exception of three or four franchises, which is far from making a genre "recognized").

By Ufotable, too? :stars:
Oh, I'm already torn between wanting to watch it and not wanting to spoil the plot of the game I'll probably get my hands on years later... :shy:

Back