Lets talk in Japanized english...

actually, i think the way they pronounce japanese english in some anime or tokusatsu is kinda cool :ohoho:

for example: in Kamen Rider they say "Raidaa Kikku" instead of just "rider kick" . or "getta Biimu !!" instead of just "getter beam !!" in the anime Getter Robo

i prefer they better leave it that way in that style than let them use real english, unless the show is fully dubbed english which i dont like :ohoho:

but this is just about what i like from anime/tokusatsu.

So, if I went around in blackface and genuinely thought I was acting like a black person and was having a laugh at how black I was being, that isn't racist?

I don't know about blackfaces, but there are numerous cases of imitating Black English (I'm talking precisely phonetic variations, although Black English as a dialect is NOT limited to them). It's especially wide-spread in the hip hop fandom, with people genuinely using the AAVE variants of English words among everything else. If that's how they mock black people, how come they're hop hop fans at the same time? Does not compute, sorry.

Like ZoaKaizer said, such accents are used not [only] because they sound funny, but also - and that's a solid reason - because they have made their way into popular culture, are associated with a certain pop culture phenomenon (hip hop for Black English and anime for Japanese English) and end up being deemed stylish. It's the case when istead of contempting the said phenomenon and undermining its reputation, such imitation - ranging from serious intentions to a concept called "affectionate parody" which seems to be foreign to you - ends up actually promoting it. That's why people keep imitating those accents, and that's why neither African Americans nor Japanese raise cain about it. They choose to seek benefit in it. :plot:

That, and a couple more points. First, I'm honestly wondering how in your view it can murder Japanese language when the language itself has a huge and firm base of native speakers who operate it in everyday use. Not to mention that the "accent" as you call it has long been contributing to Japanese vocabulary. I saw a Japanese textbook (written by a Japanese author, I should note) that was called "You already know Japanese!" - and listed this very "accent"... only he called it "a list of anglicisms in Japanese that a foreigner can use in communication". :glasses: Meaning the Japanese people are quite at ease with the way they pronounce English words, seeing as they include them in their dictionaries. So if it's no fault to them, how exactly imitating it is classified as mocking them?

Second: You know, there are both living and late legendary actors in Russia who have/had TONS of jokes told about their personalities, quirks and weaknesses. But they all remain loved by the very audience and colleagues who tell jokes about them.

TL;DR: There are different types of laugh; try a bit harder in identifying the kind ones. :tea:

lol, just when I thought we were done with lengthy debates, they come back from a completely unpredictable direction. I hope it'll end before we post several pages and get asked to move to PM? :desksweat: :XD:

Of course, if there's only one extreme way to prevent such a lengthy discussion, I can do it for the sake of others :hero: Here goes... (*deep inhale*) SORRYPONTIANAK-SAMAWEWERECOMPLETELYWRONGANDYOUWERECOMPLETELYRIGHTANDYOU'VEOPENEDOUREYESATTHETRUEMEANINGOFRACISMANDMOCKERYSINCEYOUARETHEBESTEXPERTINSUCHMATTERSWECANEVERHOPETOFINDANDWEACKNOWLEDGETHEERROROFOURWAYSANDSWEARTOREDEEMOURSELVESBYSTARTINGTOLEARNSWEDISHIMMEDIATELY! :bow:
whew... OK, did it help? :ayashii:

I don't know about blackfaces, but there are numerous cases of imitating Black English (I'm talking precisely phonetic variations, although Black English as a dialect is NOT limited to them). It's especially wide-spread in the hip hop fandom, with people genuinely using the AAVE variants of English words among everything else. If that's how they mock black people, how come they're hop hop fans at the same time? Does not compute, sorry.

You honestly don't understand how racist blackface is? You can't comprehend that? Seriously?

Also, hip-hop isn't just a thing that all black people are involved in. Hip-hop is a genre of music, like rock music. It isn't some huge cultural display of diversity in which every hip-hop fan is acquitted of any kind of racist allegation, just like rock music doesn't mean everyone should be okay with rock fans doing drugs and smoking and drinking and raping and sexually assaulting.

Not to mention that the "accent" as you call it has long been contributing to Japanese vocabulary. I saw a Japanese textbook (written by a Japanese author, I should note) that was called "You already know Japanese!" - and listed this very "accent"... only he called it "a list of anglicisms in Japanese that a foreigner can use in communication". :glasses:

Oh, you mean Japanese loanwords, written in Japanese grammar, using the Japanese alphabet of katakana, none of which any of you were using?

Meaning the Japanese people are quite at ease with the way they pronounce English words, seeing as they include them in their dictionaries.

They use loanwords. "Knee" is "knee" in German, but if a German person asks you where the post office is in English and you laugh in their faces then mock their accent by going, "ach vere do yu zink it iz?", that would be unacceptable and offensive.

So if it's no fault to them, how exactly imitating it is classified as mocking them?

I. Don't. You think having the word 「オレンジ」 for "orange" or 「ページ」 for "page" automatically gives you the right to laugh at Japanese people for how they speak when trying to learn other languages?

TL;DR: There are different types of laugh; try a bit harder in identifying the kind ones. :tea:

It's okay to laugh at other people's culture and ethnicity; we didn't intend to be nasty!

lol, just when I thought we were done with lengthy debates, they come back from a completely unpredictable direction. I hope it'll end before we post several pages and get asked to move to PM? :desksweat: :XD:

You're joking if you think I can ignore racism and Weeaboo-ism.

PONTIANAK-SAMA

No.

OK, did it help? :ayashii:

I'm glad you can all take the issue of racism lightly.

I'm glad you are attentive enough to spot racism in this forum, of all places. :TdT:
When I hung out with some fellow exchange students in Minsk a couple of years ago and they laughingly parodied the way they found English loans to sound in Russian... How blind I've been! I should have accused them of racism and repot to the faculty dean! The language I'd been using since childhood was being mocked cruelly, and all I did was grin and say, "yeah, that's the way it is"... Ponti, you've opened my eyes to how insensitive I was! :orz:

I'm glad you are attentive enough to spot racism in this forum, of all places. :TdT:

If I'm posting regularly in a forum, it's only natural that I'd spot something so redlight as racism. I understand that conversational norms may not be your strong point, and that the acquisition common sense might not be a realistic goal for you, but you should at least attempt to see how some people might not like racism.

When I hung out with some fellow exchange students in Minsk a couple of years ago and they laughingly parodied the way they found English loans to sound in Russian...

Hm.

waifu said:
but yeah, the thing is
there's a difference between making a joke about it and typing out a shitty accent to try to sound like a japanese person or whatever

Perhaps if you have some kind of social impairment that inhibits your ability to discern between two completely different situations and the people that partake in them, it would be prudent to inform people otherwise, lest you seem willfully ignorant or generally lacking in the I.Q. statistic.

How blind I've been! I should have accused them of racism and repot to the faculty dean! The language I'd been using since childhood was being mocked cruelly, and all I did was grin and say, "yeah, that's the way it is"...

Hm.

waifu said:
*i think it's a good example because it was all really popular and common in the 30s/40s and earlier, but it's not like all the people who did it were SUPER RACIST AND EVIL, it was just a thing and they thought it was funny or cool or something idk
*i can name at least two movies where bing crosby does blackface hahaha ):
but he's a cool bro, so
*and that's basically what they're doing with the imitating/making fun of the japanese accent
because they think it's funny or cool or something idk
but it's still pretty racist

If you have spent the majority of your life living in a dark room, in solitary confinement, then I can sort of begin to be more willing to comprehend your lack of knowledge regarding how racism may upset some people.

Thankfully, I'm sure this is not so, and I'm capable of overlooking your temporary lack in ethical judgement as you just waking up and not being able to read the computer screen properly because the lights were too bright on your eyes; especially after crying all night after being forced to recall the traumatizing event of having a casual, satirical joke with friends.

Ponti, you've opened my eyes to how insensitive I was! :orz:

I'm not entirely sure I have. From the way you're talking, I'm fairly confident that you still have them as closed as they were when you typed this message.

waifu said:
for people who don't understand what racism is
they seem pretty sensitive

So the people here were not writing English words trying to apply the anime-advertized Japanese phonetics everywhere for fun and "mind exercise" as George oh so ignorantly put it, - we were deliberately trying to pretend to be Japanese people (who, of course, ONLY use anglicisms in their speech, and haven't got the slightest idea how it deviates from RP, and those few who know are scarred forever by that knowledge and every mention thereof) with the intention of mocking them. It absolutely hasn't been a casual joke, but a campaign of barbarian mockery. :voodoo:
You see, we know why racism offends people. But apparently we're currently struggling to define what is classiied as racism.
IIRC we actually have a member hailing from Japan. If Jasmin sees this thread and feels offended by its content, I'm sure she'll hear apologies whereafter the thread will go puff. :bow: Because her testimony will be solid proof of people here going too far. Unlike what you've stated so far with a deep excourse into Ameican history of social issues, sorry. :leaf:

Give my best regards to Waifu. :hi:

Japanese phonetics everywhere for fun and "mind exercise"

So you agree that you all think the Japanese accent is hilarious, and you were all mocking them by seriously thinking you were saying things like a Japanese person would.

we were deliberately trying to pretend to be Japanese people

No, not pretending to be Japanese people. Making fun of Japanese people for having a Japanese accent.

(who, of course, ONLY use anglicisms in their speech, and haven't got the slightest idea how it deviates from RP, and those few who know are scarred forever by that knowledge and every mention thereof) with the intention of mocking them.

Which is the Japanese variety of blackface.

I might just paint myself yellow and go around talking to Chinese people in a heavy stereotypical Chinese accent in a straw sun-hat because that's how Chinese people talk amirite???

That isn't offensive, because it's just a joke and I don't have the intention of mocking them.

IIRC we actually have a member hailing from Japan. If Jasmin sees this thread and feels offended by its content, I'm sure she'll hear apologies whereafter the thread will go puff. :bow:

Jasmin doesn't sound like a Japanese name. Therefore, she isn't Japanese.

And this isn't an offensive statement because I wouldn't be offended if someone told me my name doesn't sound Polish therefore I'm not Polish.

Because her testimony will be solid proof of people here going too far.

I'm sure there're some black people who aren't offended by blackface. That doesn't mean black people who are offended by blackface are overreacting.

I seriously can't understand why you're trying to justify racism? Like? Really?

Unlike what you've stated so far with a deep excourse into Ameican history of social issues, sorry. :leaf:

It wasn't really an extensive, coverall lecture on how Americans came to be. It's just... general knowledge to anyone who isn't an ignorant backwater commoner.

Give my best regards to Waifu. :hi:

She doesn't appreciate it.

PMs have been issued to the involved parties.
Everyone, please resume this topic.
If you are not pleased with it, avoid clicking its title.
:bow:

Re:

[Edited]
_____

Back to topic:
Tudei wasu ririi a berii tairingu dei... batto wii sutiru habu tu go samweru erusu reita... ai em biito... :blood:

^(This is a lot harder than I thought... lol) :XD:

mai sukuuru isu goingu tsu bureekku mi :XD:

ai wantsu go on beikeishon arureedi!

^mii tsuu! Kurisumasu kanto kamu tsu suun! (za Katorikku wan, bikoozu zatsu wuen mai bekeishon sutatsu) :XD:

I wanted to use Ponti's link for reference, but it converts everything to katakana and somehow treats the particle "too" as トー Do some words have to be rendered orthographically rather than phonetically? :confu:

yu gara ruuk at disu. He orso Japanized English! :XD:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibQtd-_wX8A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]

Back