Kimi no Gin no Niwa

:XD: :ohoho: Okay, that first part, it was a rushed translation that I made late at night when a friend asked me to... note to self: never ever keep those things without double-checking what you wrote :XD:

Keikochan4 in the line "Mirai ya kibou wa tsubete".. 'Tsubete' is suppossed to be 'Subete', right? O.o which means "All", "All things".

^
Well...sorry that was pretty much my fault since I'm the one who did the transliteration before. The kanji provided by cerise on the page before does read as tsubete...and when the official lyrics came up I just copy-pasted and edit some romaji without checking it twice, although I do corrected the kanji with the official booklet. :bow:

Ah... no problem, no problem ritardando ! It was just a minor mistake... and it is human :dote:

Yes of course, I meaned 'subete' but I mistype a lot, because I write the romaji at a rapid speed as the song playing in the headphone and I didn't realize while double-checking. Thanks! :)

Here is my 2 cents.
I did my own while keeping a few of the original trans and fixing a bit of English grammar >_>
Some parts were confusing to me. :uh..:

On the other side of the door you gently opened, there lies a fragile world.
Will morning come?
Will it turn into night?
While you wander about, a light begins to break out*of the clouds*.

Until a voice calls out, let’s play a little more,
repeating the time that goes around like a flower.

Inside of this room,
there was a dream that had always singing a gentle song to you.
What is the truth?
I believe I can be the strongest.
I will follow you throughout this world...
to your silver garden.

That child who got lost along the way,
today returned home the fastest*<-- this parts confuses me. needs to be fixed)

How nice would it be to run
while finding a place brighter than this one?

I want a guard to protect my childish sleep,
because the gate to becoming an adult is being shut firmly.

Haven't you realized it yet?
The truth is always in the past.
Things like future and hope are all in the selfish tale
of a distant garden that someone drew that nobody else knows yet.

A child sings with the voice of an earnest small bird
What is it hiding,
what is it destroying?
clocks that burn and the secret-like fragrance of flowers are certainly here.

Quietly cuddle next to me,
don’t go anywhere,
chirp by the window,
what did you lose?

The dream inside my arms was locking up
the lies and griefs of a kind person.
Taking the shape of a young girl,
my heart might not be enough,
but let’s go on by wearing the light and fly
towards our never-ending beginning...
towards our true *finale. (Finale sounded a bit better for this than just saying "ending")

Quietly cuddle next to me,
don’t go anywhere,
chirp by the window,
what did you lose?

So there were a few things here and there that still bothered me about the translations that have been posted here. Details that seem a bit off, phrases that I think might make less no sense (That is a perfectly logical way of phrasing it and don't you dare tell me otherwise!!![/not being serious for the record]), and so forth... Plus I just wanted to try and do a translation of my own. So I just went and re-translated the whole thing from scratch, trying to strike a balance between literally translating the words, and conveying what I'm assuming some of these lines are meant to mean. So, this is more literal than the previous translations at some points and less literal at others... I included a few notes on lines that I felt deserved a bit of elaborating tho.

On the other side of the door I carefully opened
lies a world that looks about to crumble. *1
Will it turn to morning?
Will it turn to night?
While I kept on pondering, the light shone through.

Let's keep playing for just a little longer, until that voice calls out to us,
repeating the time that spins around like a flower. *2

Here in this room, my dreams
would always play a kind song for you.
What is it that is real?
I chase after a world that I can believe in more strongly than anything else,
heading for your silver garden.

She got lost on her way, and yet
she made it home faster than anyone else, today as always.
She can carry on running
as she finds that place more bright than what is right, can't she?

The protector who wants to guard that infantile sleep
takes the door to adulthood and seals it shut.

Did you ever notice?
That silly thing, the truth,
is a thing of the past and will remain as such. *3
Your future and your hopes and all such things
are but a selfish story
that someone wrote in that distant garden,
but nobody knows of it yet.

The children sing with the voices of cheerful birds.
What do they hide? What have they broken?
The clock burns down,
the scent of the flowers remains wrapped in secret,
"We're right here," they sing. *4

Let's nestle together silently.
Don't go anywhere.
Keep chirping by the windowsill,
no matter what you may have lost.

Within those arms, my dreams
kept constrained the lies and tears
of that kind person.
There's something missing in my heart,
but I will clad myself in light and fly off,
bearing the appearance of a young girl,
heading for a never-ending beginning,
for the true ending.

Don't go anywhere.
Keep chirping by the windowsill.
Don't go anywhere.

*1 This generally gets translated as "fragile", but I feel like there's a slight nuance there between "easily broken" and "looking like it's about to break". Hence I chose to just go the more direct route of just plain saying that it seems about to break.

*2 Similes in song-lyrics. Always hated them. No real thing to note in regards to how I translated this, just... I don't like this line.

*3 Added the bit about "that silly thing" as a translation for なんて. Saying that it is "a thing of the past and will remain as such" was just a somewhat more flowery way of saying it because I thought "always only in the past" sounded too over-literal.

*4 One of the lines that bothered me a bit in the other translations. For one thing, it's in quotations. For another thing, the usage of "iru" rather than "aru" indicates that this is not a reference to the previously mentioned "burning clocks" or "flowers with hidden scents"... actually that second part I still don't quite get. Still though, I chose to wrap this last line back to the beginning sentence about innocently singing and hiding things, as in, calling out that "Here we are" in order to distract the listener's attention from those things they're trying to hide. Which apparently entails having set a clock on fire. Yeah, that bit will probably never NOT be weird.

^That's a lot closer to what I have. I would have translated some parts a little differently but the meaning is already there so I won't bother posting a full translation since I think yours is quite alright. The biggest part that previously bothered me was the 何を失くしたって which should mean "no matter what you/I lose".

なんて is a little hard to keep in English, isn't it? But I really like what it actually implies about (Kajiura's take on) Homura's views on the truth.

She can carry on running
as she finds that place more bright than what is right, can't she?
正しさよりも明るい場所を
見つけながら走ればいいんだね
All she has to do, as she runs,
is look for a place that is brighter than what is right, isn't it?

I think the part where most can't agree on is the one with the burning clocks.
ひたむきな小鳥の声で歌う子供は
何を隠し何を壊し
燃える時計
秘密めく花の香り
「ここにいるよ」
I do agree with Lord Starfish that since since it's "いる", it's definitely referring to a person. And since it's written as 「ここにいるよ」, it's actually a spoken line. I would not interpret it as children though, but rather have it as referring to a child (ie. Homura), who is also the one speaking that line. It then also ties back to the line about the door to adulthood being firmly shut. This is up for interpretation though, since I have seen Japanese fanart that interpret it as children (ie. the Clara Dolls).

So changing it up a bit...
The child sings with the voice of cheerful birds.
What does she hide? What does she break/destroy?
The clock burns down,
the scent of the flowers remains wrapped in secret.
"I'm right here"
Spoiler alert for the movie (and an alert for a disgusting fan interpretation rant)
The first two lines should be easy to understand. It's referring to Homura creating her world, either as a witch or a devil. It actually gives off a twisted feel because of what she is doing as she sings cheerfully "What does she hide? What does she break/destroy?"

The 3rd and 4th, for me, immediately brings a scene from the movie to mind. Namely the one where she realizes she is a witch. We see Homura standing in front of a bunch of clocks. She then confirms that she is indeed able to move despite being more than 100m away from her soul gem. The world starts to burn at this revelation. And at the end of that scene when she says something along the lines of "Just when did I become a witch...!", a sea of Higanbana fills the screen. Clocks are obviously a symbol for Homura as a time traveller repeating time. The Higanbana (Spider Lilies), aside from that scene, also appears in the design for Witch Homura, whose witch name is ...Homulilly.
(Trivia: interviews have revealed that Inucurry's image for Homura is that of a lizard, hence that scene of the lizard that tears and dissolves into a puddle after. That's Inucurry, not Kajiura though.)

So to me, together, it paints the image of a Homura in despair (ie. turning into a witch). "I'm here" is her calling out to Madoka, with a tinge of longing...
I'm not sure about the use of 秘密めくthough. I'm not sure how めく is used and what it actually means so I won't change any of that.

That's just my interpretation though. And everyone probably has a different take on it that isn't any less valid. Such is the fun of words and lyrics.

I somehow seem to have produced a very controversial translation here, so at this point, I'd really prefer if it were replaced by any other translation and if we could pretend mine never happened. On the other hand, everyone's idea on what is the "spirit" and what sounds (or doesn't sound) clumsy in English seems different. I'm not comfortable about disregarding grammar rules or mutating them to the convenience of what would make more sense - Kajiura's lyrics are usually intentionally vague anyway.

On the other hand, thanks to Hatouchan's spoiler, the part with the burning clocks seems to make sense now, to me at least. The most literal thing that I could write now would be something like:

The child sings with the voice of an earnest bird
What does it hide? What does it destroy?
(Among) burning clocks
and secret-like flower scents,
"I am here"

I know I pulled an "among" out of thin air, but I think this was the missing piece. Now it's up to you guys to rephrase that into something that makes sense in English as well.

:bow:

[EDIT] Kajiura's lyrics are somehow like this: https://xkcd.com/1322/

Last edited by a moderator:
^lol at this link :XD: i guess it would be preferable to wait till the movie bd is out in order for some good group to subtitle it and then reconsider the translation.

^How do you know if the group is good? Not a day goes by where I don't find something to nitpick over in the subs I see. But that's me. :XD:I thrive on subtext so the choice of words are important to me and I dislike when the nuance is lost in translation.

@yuki.n
I wouldn't go so far as to call it controversial. Isn't this why we have the lyrics sub forum. Lyrics are open to all sorts of interpretation after all... Unless it is wrong language wise. :punched:*is smacked*
But that's why I hate having something translated for me. It colours the words with their take on it. Like lord starfish paid special attention to "nante" but it's something easy to miss. I think Lord starfish has got it mostly right though. It's just how you would interpret it now.

And yes, kajiura always leaves them ambiguous because she doesn't want to colour our views of the show with her lyrics. I think her words with regards to gin no niwa was that she did not want to confirm or deny whether homura's actions were right or wrong. That is something that should be left to the viewer. Some think the song is sad, some think the song is scary.

One thing she did say was that the niwa refers to a world that a certain someone made. Even then, this can be taken as the witch world or the new world.

Sorry to double post and drag this up again, but I asked my Japanese teacher about a section that has never sat right with me but was widely translated as such by many online.
正しさよりも明るい場所を Tadashisa yori mo akarui basho wo
見つけながら走ればいいんだね Mitsukenagara hashireba iindane
Most have translated it as:
"A place brighter than what is right/correct"
or something along those lines.

But that didn't make much sense to me or to the context of the movie.
Instead of a "yori mo" comparing the level of brightness, it's actually about choosing a bright place over what is correct. I would assume a bright place would refer to a place where she is happy.
It'll be alright if I just run as I look for a bright place, rather than what's right, isn't it?
Alt: All I have to do is just run as I look for a bright place, rather than what's correct, right?
I'm having trouble putting the だね in... and as to whether this should be an "I" or "She"...
だね seeks confirmation. The sentence would still make sense if it was dropped completely but the implication would change.

Lyrics. srsbzns.
I just like this song and series a lot. ><

Thanks Hatouchan! Nice catch!

Also, looking back, I thought that most parts should be either "she" or "you", because they refer to [spoiler alert]... okay, I think I'll just take this one to sensei :XD: (I also have to tell her about a new sushi restaurant, so I have to go soon anyway!)

this is unrelated but everytime I hear 'nice catch' from you I remember when we were at where my brother studied at Scotland and my mother was talking with a girl which was in relationship with one of my brother's colleeges (?) (συμφοιτητές), so when my mother praιsed him and how nice they are together, the girl replied "Yes, it was a good catch" :XD:

Sorry to double post and drag this up again, but I asked my Japanese teacher about a section that has never sat right with me but was widely translated as such by many online.

Most have translated it as:
"A place brighter than what is right/correct"
or something along those lines.

But that didn't make much sense to me or to the context of the movie.
Instead of a "yori mo" comparing the level of brightness, it's actually about choosing a bright place over what is correct. I would assume a bright place would refer to a place where she is happy.

I'm having trouble putting the だね in... and as to whether this should be an "I" or "She"...
だね seeks confirmation. The sentence would still make sense if it was dropped completely but the implication would change.

Lyrics. srsbzns.
I just like this song and series a lot. ><
Well, "choosing happiness over what is right" is actually how I'd interpreted it all along too, and to me saying "a place brighter than what is right" did carry that implication... But I guess it's not exactly the best phrasing. Heck, I've since come to think that that line sounds rather awful. But yeah, this interpretation of the underlying meaning of "happiness VS what is right" definitely does make sense, considering how
Homura LITERALLY ASKS MADOKA IF SHE WOULD DO THAT at the end of the movie... and Madoka says no. Then again there are some rather non-subtle hints in the movie, and an outright confirmation in the supporting material, that Homura really isn't happy at all with what she has done...

Though I must also ask though... "As she looks for"... Maybe this is just a case of my Japanese knowledge not being quite up to snuff, but I always thought ながら was like "while", and the word used before that is 見つけ, which I always thought was specifically "to find"? Then again, "as she looks for" makes more sense gramatically speaking than "as she finds", so... I dunno.

And yes, lyrics are indeed srsbzns and this song is indeed excellent. Only, much like the movie it's attached to, it's really freaking hard to make sense of.

君の銀の庭 lyrics correction:

Kanji Alignment

Fix from "すべて" to "全て"

Thank you Hatouchan for your insights.
だね should definitely be included imo since it is in the lyrics.
This song switches from third person to first person from my POV. (take it with a pinch of salt) XD
First person when it says 「ここにいるよ」 in Homura's voice and perspective as you have pointed out and then third person, said like a narration when it sings of how the girl who got lost yesterday returned again the fastest today.
So it would be "she" in this case.

秘密めく花の香り
secretive scent of flowers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so in light of the comments made here, I tried to revise my translation a bit... mostly just taking everything I've been told here at face-value even though I'm personally still a bit unsure on the 見つけながら thing.

On the other side of the door I carefully opened
lies a world that looks about to crumble.
Will it turn to morning?
Will it turn to night?
While I kept on pondering, the light shone through.

Let's keep playing for just a little longer, until that voice calls out to us,
repeating the time that spins around like a flower.

Here in this room, my dreams
would always play a kind song for you.
What is it that is real?
I chase after a world that I can believe in more strongly than anything else,
heading for your silver garden.

All she has to do is carry on running,
as she searches, not for justice, but for happiness... right?

The protector who wants to guard that childlike sleep
takes the door to adulthood and seals it shut.

Did you ever notice?
That silly thing, the truth,
is a thing of the past and will remain as such.
Your future and your hopes and all such things
are but a selfish story
that someone wrote in that distant garden,
but nobody knows of it yet.

The child sings with the voice of a cheerful bird.
What is she hiding? What has she destroyed?
Among burning clocks,
and the secretive scent of flowers,
"I am right here..."

Don't go anywhere.
Keep chirping by the windowsill,
regardless of what you may lose.

Within those arms, my dreams
kept constrained the lies and tears
of that kind person.
There's something missing in my heart,
but I will clad myself in light and fly off,