Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin Gets Anime Film

• Thread starter Thread starter keikochan4
  • Start date Start date
some thoughts... i had to listen to it again to form an opinion which is due to the interfering ambient tracks which i'm sure worked in the ova.

i actually didn't care much about hanae's track from the beginning but i thought it could be nice in what might have followed.

i agree with Kowz on the issue of melody lines. There are far too many similarities within the ost (and perhaps with other osts as well). Nevertheless i think i like all the variations; this ost is perfect for relaxing music. Favorites: M4, 8, 23, 35.

p.s. I also like M19 but the sound effect between 1:15-1:19 sounds like a washing machine which annoys me a bit (apart from the fate/zero effects).

Extra Chorus was great fun. The first and last segments were pure fanservice (in a general 'something for the fans' sense, not in a sexual way) but the middle part was a surprisingly moving piece that linked the first and third films together nicely. Sure, the animation and character designs aren't up to the original seven films' standard, but as a "we made this to make your trips to the cinema/DVD shop feel more worthwhile" gesture, I really appreciated it.

Also: THAT CAT. :XD:

^ Agree, but I need to watch the movies again to understand the middle part.
I keep failing to understand the philosophical discussions between Shiki and the cigarette woman :XD:

I just finished watching Mirai Fukuin

The bomber reminds me Accelerator in both the style he talks/moves and how he became from evil a good person
Still surprised that Mana seems to want be in relationship with him even though she's around 10 years old. Wondering how Shiki is going to approve of him
So the brow haired girl, Shiho Shizune was unrelated with Shiki (for a moment I thought that she was her daughter)
Also Mana seems to be copy paste of Kokutou's character and eyes/hair.:XD:

Last edited:
Commie subbed the movie, and is working on Extra Chorus.
UTW is also planning on subbing it, but they're busy with the Chuuni movie.

IMPORTANT WARNING:

After watching Mirai Fukuin, you have to rewatch the part of ep7 (murder investigation part 2) which appears after the ending song. It's an important clarification about Shizune's prophecy, and you totally get the wrong impression about the prophecy unless you rewatch that! And the first time you watch it, you don't know who she is or what the prophecy was about and it gets deleted from your brain :XD:

Been rewatching KnK with friends this week, and then i noticed that part and had an enlightenment :XD:

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the most recent KNK topic, though I haven't read it through, and extremely old :confu: One would've assumed that the Kara No Kyoukai franchise would be more discussed here. At least to me, the 2CD Music Collection remains one of my favorite YK works of all time.

I'm a relative newcomer to this franchise though. The world of KNK OSTs was confusing to me, and the relative inactivity may be a reason I didn't even know there's more music out there that's actually been released until yesterday. I simply surfed vgmdb.net and went through a lengthy list of YK works systematically. And voilà! there they were, the soundtracks for the movies:

I: Overlooking View
II: A Study in Murder, Part 1
III: Remaining Sense of Pain
IV: The Hollow Shrine
V: Paradox Spiral
VI: Oblivion Recording
VII: A Study in Murder, Part 2
VIII: Future Gospel(: recalled out summer extra chorus/Mirai Fukuin)

If I had this right, there's no OST proper for Gate of 7th Heaven mini movie out there apart from a few Kalafina pieces, and no separate OST for the KNK tv series edition.

I personally only knew about the VIII release besides the Music Collection, and I like that one quote a lot. But here I had new YK music all of a sudden! 🎶 Found them on YouTube, user AsK_0.

A Study in Murder, Part 2 struck me as especially vicious and dark in tone. As a fan of YK's darker output, I liked that one! I don't think I've ever listened to a darker score by YK. Wow!

I decided to skip some of these because either they were on the short side, or tending to repetitiveness, or the main motifs had already been released in the collection. But Remaining Sense of Pain and Paradox Spiral I decided to buy in addition to VII. I simply liked their content and there was enough variety, length (IIRC) and freshness to keep me interested. Got them fairly cheap from Japan! I had to pay like 75 euros for VIII but these were a lot less heavy on the budget, which is very nice.

Would anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the franchise's music after, like, a decade of hiatus?

Would anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the franchise's music after, like, a decade of hiatus?
the garden of sinners movie series/KNK1-7 is still peak dank & romantic atmospheric Kajiura to me but also, to the disappointment of some of us, seemingly the awakening of her awareness that her music is being used in scenes of heavy dialogue... But even with that mindset, unlike many projects that followed, KNK still allowed her to have prolonged atmospheric scenes where music took the lead.
I personally quite like knk4 but hearing the intro to ARIA so many times in the span of 40minutes was definitely too much...

Remix/gate of 7th heaven does not have any original BGM, outside of the unreleased ARIA intro from the 4th movie and an edited down instrumental of knk1m1/in the garden of sinners.

As far as Mirai Fukuin goes, which was a completely separate production from the original series, I maybe listened to it twice since release and I never think much of it. Glad it has its fans.

[Snip]KNK still allowed her to have prolonged atmospheric scenes where music took the lead.
I personally quite like knk4 but hearing the intro to ARIA so many times in the span of 40minutes was definitely too much...

[Snip]
As far as Mirai Fukuin goes, which was a completely separate production from the original series, I maybe listened to it twice since release and I never think much of it. Glad it has its fans.
IIRC, you dislike danky YK, I take it you mean dark and sinister tracks (?). That's how I've interpreted this word used by you please correct me if I got it wrong. I tend towards the opposite. Dark ambience is cool most of the time. It may be because I like dark aesthetics in music such as goth and metal music. YK's misanthropic pathways are a joy most of the time.

About KNK and prolonged atmospheres. I prefer the middle course. The franchise is weird in that there are many short pieces and relatively numerous very lengthy (for YK) rearranged pieces on the collection disc #2. The latter I simply can't stand listening, my only YK piece I never listen to. It's just too meandering and unfamiliar an approach to, if not unsuitable for, YK in my view. But neither am I a fan of very short pieces, which there are aplenty in the franchise. It's too fragmentary and risks repetition. My ideal length for YK is between 2mins and 6mins give or take 30 seconds. Some excellent music doesn't fit within this frame but as a rough preference.

I'm with you on KNK4. Far too much repetition. Neext.

I love VIII that combines music from recalled out summer and recalled out summer extra chorus. I personally rank it as very closely approaching my current Top10 YK OSTs. To each their own. I should take a relisten to elaborate what's so great about it.

Last edited:
I love dark and sinister. Depending what they are.
Fate/Zero is boring brooding, loud and static action to me (don't come for me, just giving an example - happy for everyone who likes it). Kara no Kyoukai is not - it is hopeful, romantic despite dealing with emptiness, loneliness, obsession, magicksssss, etc. Most tracks (which aren't SFXish) are more melodic, too, as far as I'm concerned and push forward, with maybe the exception of Araya's cello theme in knk5 (and I guess with Araya it does make sense that his theme doesn't - and again, that's only one theme out of maneeee).

You should definitely not judge the garden of sinners music based on the Music Collection.
If that 2cd release with medleys was all we got from KNK, I'd be livid - thankfully we got the tokuten soundtracks with movie versions before said Music Collection was a thing. The Music Collection does feature some tracks that are more "complete" than film versions though, as possibly intended, like knk1m04 with extra vocals in Thanatos compared to the tokuten OST version.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEbxMUQ8Bc
forever superior to the m01 choir version. :p

I do hope we get another comprehensive, multidisc release for the garden of sinners series, with unreleased/unused tracks, instrumentals and acapellas, demos like ufotable is using in their streams. I'd be preordering day uno.

KNK1-7 is <3

On the other hand, Mirai Fukuin just doesn't do anything for me - I don't like the movie (or extra chorus) either. Maybe one day it grows on me...

Last edited:
Back