Kalafina Performance in PARIS announced!!!

(I'm sorry if someone already post that, I haven't read the entire topic for now :bow:)

Tell me if I'm wrong... Seems like they move one year in USA (2009), next they had they Asia Tour 2010, USA 2011, Bonn / Germany 2012, shame on me I don't remember what came in 2013 but with Consolation, an other Asian tour? And 2014, Paris / France.
So... 2015 --> USA, 2016 --> Europe...?

Let's hope! :)

Austraaaaliaaaa whheeeeeeeennnnn??????? :touched: :touched: :touched: :orz: :orz: :orz:

I just hope they'll still be around by the time I can save up enough to travel to Japan on my own to see them :omg: :comeback:

@LunaChan : You're right Luna-chaaaan :) :) I really hope Europe in 2015 u.u I can't wait another two years for seeing them! But in the meanwhile they could announce the tour :love:

The next MCM London Comic Con is on the 24-26 October 2014. Doubt they will make it for this one. Hopefully next year as @Seasonreaper said, there are a considerable amount of Kalafina fans in the UK. :sparkleguy:

The problem being that MCM has, as far as I know, never had live acts of any kind. I doubt they'd even know how to.

Well, I had a wonderful idea! *cough*
Let's plan their European Tour (with the complete band, let's go, be foolish) with cities like London, Paris, Milan, Berlin etc... And then make a petition that would run all around the continent! :sohappy:
If all european fans are involved, it could be a success!

... Yes I'm dreaming :touched:

Maybe not as a petition, but as a suggestion that we would send directly to Yuki-sama via Space Craft, it may actually get read :XD:

^ how about making sure that every European fan who might attend is on twitter and following Yuki Kajiura? (-:

^ how about making sure that every European fan who might attend is on twitter and following Yuki Kajiura? (-:
It's amazing how this thread is still alive! :XD:

In all seriousness though, that's a good idea. There's a lot to be said for us fans 'getting the music out there' by word of mouth. Introducing the songs to new people ourselves is probably the only way of breaking the 'chicken and egg' cycle of them not being popular abroad.

It's frustrating. The 'European edition' of the first three albums is wonderful, but it was hardly promoted at all. The EU distribution company is quite small and low-profile, and SMEJ haven't really pushed for international advertising either. I'm not even sure why they've not done more for the US and European markets...is it because they're not interested? The logistics of selling albums and performing are common hurdles for pretty much any artists trying to get their songs heard outside their home country, so it's not as though the record label or PR/management company haven't done this sort of thing before.

The Paris show was met with such a positive reaction that they'd be mad to ignore it!

That is true but then again theres a first to everything. What about London Anime Con?

Possibly. Then again most people I know who go to cons seem to find it hilariously badly run in the past years, although I haven't been myself. I still don't think they've had any music performances though, it's something the UK con scene just doesn't do.

Honestly I think the best bet would be a small venue concert. It's something we do well here :goodjob:. I only realised recently that we had Perfume last year in a 2500~ person venue and the US are only getting them for the first time this year.

That would require me signing up to twitter for that exact reason, since I have no other reason to bother with it :touched:.

@Martin
To me, there are three reasons:
- as you know, the music market in our countries, unlike in Japan, is sticken by Internet;
- Japanese majors think that J-music abroad is a niche market (and, still, I think it is);
- their Western counterparts maybe don't even know about Japanese artists and J-music fans, or don't think it's profitable enough.

Actually, even in Taiwan, Korea or China, J-music is distributed by local labels under license. I think that, as you think, SMEJ and other Japanese majors just don't want to bother with it.

@Seasonreaper
Same for me. Although I'm sometimes tempted to join, I'm not on Twitter by now. I'm not really keen on using Twitter for this "project" (neither Facebook, even if I'm on, I know that many people aren't). Something else independant would be finer, I think. Still, if it comes to be on Twitter, then I'll join ^^

If you want a comparison, we can talk about Babymetal. AFAIK their works aren't licensed in Europe. Despite this, they made an European tour in London, Paris and Berlin last summer, with tickets sold around €30 in standard concert halls (~1 000 - 2 000 seats). It was such a success that they added a new date on next November in London. I really can't see why Kalafina, who's heavily promoted by anime (when Babymetal only relies on internet buzz) couldn't have such a tour.

^ If you are on twitter you can make your own tweets protected and just follow who you like and only allow people that you accept as followers to see your own tweets (and you don't have to show your real name).

Of the Japanese people I keep in touch with via twitter, only the artists use their real names, and average individuals use a pseudonym.

Twitter is really useful for keeping up with multiple Japanese musical artists.

In all seriousness though, that's a good idea. There's a lot to be said for us fans 'getting the music out there' by word of mouth. Introducing the songs to new people ourselves is probably the only way of breaking the 'chicken and egg' cycle of them not being popular abroad.

I find it really difficult to get people to try them out though. I've been sharing Kala and FJ music a lot on Facebook, but no one cares to listen. One friend even criticised me for sharing "uninteresting stuff". I can't be sure how he could deem it not interesting though, when he wouldn't even spare a few minutes to listen :uh..: And this is coming from Malaysia, a country where J-music is not that foreign :spotlight:

Same thing for me. Sometimes I share Kala or FJ things on my wall, but it's happy that I now have people from here among my friends because it would remain unnoticed otherwise (as it happened before). Alas too many people don't bother anymore about great voices, great orchestrations, music that bring emotions. They prefer average or cheap songs that are insignificant artistically speaking but that are catchy and remain stuck in their head. Right now in France one of the best hit is a song which music is a 20 seconds sample over which the "songstress" talks with a monotonous tone. People liking this kind of s... can't be receptive to Kalafina.

EDIT: this thing. www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcoqJCJlHbQ Seems that it's popular abroad too, especially in UK, so maybe some of you already heard it. To me, it's the total opposite of Yuki-sama's masterpieces.

EDIT(2): TV Channel "Nolife", on which is broadcast the Japan In Motion program who brought Kalafina at J.E., made a report (http://noco.tv/emission/14128/nolife/chroniques-de-villepinte/japan-expo-2014-dimanche) including Kalafina's appearance. Sadly, the VOD is only for the channel's subscribers :comeback:.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of a petition is fantastic!! :plz: But I'm sure that they're considering the idea of an European tour +w+ In Bonn, during AnimagiC, they said in various interviews, so we have to wait and believe!! And we have to support them in the meanwhile! :w00t:

Austraaaaliaaaa whheeeeeeeennnnn??????? :touched: :touched: :touched: :orz: :orz: :orz:

I just hope they'll still be around by the time I can save up enough to travel to Japan on my own to see them :omg: :comeback:

I wonder if the reason that we haven't seen them here besides issues of lack of popularity in Australia is that it is (relatively) easy for Australians to visit Japan?

Thing with Babymetal is they're something pretty unique. A friend of mine actually showed me them back in 2011 or so when they first released a song, but something recently must've triggered a massive exposure. As with Kyary's PONPONPON it exploded and became something huge rapidly, and the internet is a ridiculously powerful force when that happens. Kalafina doesn't work that way. Who knows what triggers things in that way though, it's a mystery.

As for sharing things, that doesn't often work. I've noticed it with a lot of music in different genres though, not just Kalafina. People seem wary of trying things out, especially if they aren't similar to things they already know and love. Only one person I know of has got into Kalafina through me and that was during a 'what are you listening to?' thread on another forum when I posted a vid of Sandpiper and they ended up buying After Eden on iTunes because of it.

Actually knowing the band's music doesn't necessarily mean people won't see them live though. I'm going to Perfume in November with a friend of mine and after getting tickets she told me she hasn't even heard anything by them before, she just remembered seeing a poster of theirs in another friend's room. I suspect a lot of people would go along even if they'd only heard Magia before as well, from experience it's common to have people at concerts of bands they've only heard a few popular songs by and considering the popularity of Madoka worldwide that'd be a good start.

"it's common to have people at concerts of bands they've only heard a few popular songs by and considering the popularity of Madoka worldwide that'd be a good start."

That's the reason why I think that European concerts for Kalafina can't be unsuccessful.

Back