Kajiura at NHK WORLD-JAPAN MUSIC FESTIVAL

Of course I forgot about this, lol. And I even was awake when it premiered. Now gotta wait for the next rerun or vod.

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV17N41177iw

It's a medley but it was quite a random selection to be sung as medley. No Yuriko. Keiko was amazing in Yaiba Main Theme, Magia was okay. Hikaru was singing in this very stylistic choice that made her sounded like she was behind the beat. I have to say that I kinda don't really dig Joelle's voice in Magia. Hate that Soukyuu no Fanfare was the one that got the longest part of the medley. Soukyuu no Fanfare was performed without Keiko, Asca and Reona main vocal. The absence of Eir made the song much more bearable. Petition for Kajiura to actually just go with Reona instead of Lino Leia. Kaori and Joelle pretty much were relegated to harmony duty in this song too.

Last edited:
Random performance indeed.

To me Joelle was perfectly fine in Magia, maybe a little screamy on her 2nd line but, well... so were Hikaru and Keiko all the time so... v( '')v

I bloody hate all the hand gestures and camera movement...

The show is on now, if anyone cares. Avu-chan doing the most.

We on now. NHK sure is selective with the ENG subs. XD
In all honesty, if I didn't know it was Joelle on that first line in Magia ("tamerai wo..."), I would've thought they used Wakana's studio vocals, lol.

Oh Kajiura has an interview segment. Nice.
Avu-chan's interview was great.

Kay, this stream saved. Wonder if the VOD will be any different.

Last edited:
Random performance indeed.

To me Joelle was perfectly fine in Magia, maybe a little screamy on her 2nd line but, well... so were Hikaru and Keiko all the time so... v( '')v

I bloody hate all the hand gestures and camera movement...
I kinda think that Kajiura should've given the yehehehehe to Joelle and Wakana's lines to Kaori, but at the same time Joelle did sing higher harmony for the yehehehehe on the beginning of Magia so I guess that was Kajiura's consideration. Plus I don't get anything screamy from either 3 of them lol

Yeah I hate the camera movement and the hand gestures, especially in Magia. I find it interesting that maybe it's just her muscle memory that made Keiko did the signature hand swinging thingy during the yehehehehe in Magia because both Kaori and Joelle didn't do it.

Semi off topic but I need to watch Avu-chan's interview. I'm kinda obsessed with ziyoou vachi lately lol

It was a nice performance, nothing special.
I think Keiko was good in the first half of Kimetsu, but just let herself go in the second part.
Magia was cool. Hikaru and Keiko were having a blast. Muh Joelle was good in her parts, and I liked what Kaori did in the yeehees.
Sokyuu was fine. No complaints. Kaori sure was overpowering Asca and Reona in the refrain hue.

In all honesty, if I didn't know it was Joelle on that first line in Magia ("tamerai wo..."), I would've thought they used Wakana's studio vocals, lol.
I thought the same, kek. She sounded eerily similar.

It sure was nice seeing Hikaru again, I didn't realize how much I'd missed her. Also loved that Kajiura had a string quartet, it really should be a staple by now.

Everyone sounded nice, though Keiko did get a bit crazy with the Kimetsu performance

I'll never like Soukyuu and I kind of hate that it's becoming a mainstay of Kajiura's lives lol

I was trying to pay attention to the reactions from the audience to the artists, and felt that the length of YK's medley lost the energy towards the end that had been gained from "Magia". KnY was weird for the audience since it felt more like a drama/play than a song to dance along to. Magia had a driving beat and flow and strong vocals and vocal variety.
Hate that Soukyuu no Fanfare was the one that got the longest part of the medley.
I'm with you on this. I think "Sokyuu no Fanfare" took the shine off the medley because it was so long and has a somewhat plodding pace and repetition. It carries more weight when you have the full roster of vocals for the harmony switching and different lead and harmony vocal blends.
Petition for Kajiura to actually just go with Reona instead of Lino Leia.
Go with her...where? You mean into FJ? 🤔
I prefer Chiaki on KnY theme but Keiko was good too.
Chiaki is a master at the ethnic vocalizations. Keiko is still a student.
There are times that she sounds like Wakana. I've even heard Kaori sound like Joelle in the low range at a point in the YKL17 "Vice Versa". It's that resonance/placement that sometimes makes them sound similar. I would imagine that YK notices/anticipates these moments as part of her arrangements.
find it interesting that maybe it's just her muscle memory that made Keiko did the signature hand swinging thingy during the yehehehehe in Magia because both Kaori and Joelle didn't do it.
That was so asymmetrical! No Wakana
Kaori sure was overpowering Asca and Reona in the refrain hue.
Yes she sure was! You need to reign Kaori in with clear directions if you are going to have energetic choruses. 🤣 Maybe she was covering for the fact that there were fewer singers? 4 instead of 6/9? Who knows? Oh and I think Kaori has a lot of power to spare and rarely gets to let loose in FJ arrangements. She always seems to be looking for the chance to do so.
It sure was nice seeing Hikaru again, I didn't realize how much I'd missed her.
She just has this presence and dramatic embodiment of the character she's singing, especially when they're having darker emotions. Still unique in the FJ lineup in that respect, in my opinion (acting skills).

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I was trying to pay attention to the reactions from the audience to the artists, and felt that the length of YK's medley lost the energy towards the end that had been gained from "Magia". KnY was weird for the audience since it felt more like a drama/play than a song to dance along to. Magia had a driving beat and flow and strong vocals and vocal variety.

I'm with you on this. I think "Sokyuu no Fanfare" took the shine off the medley because it was so long and has a somewhat plodding pace and repetition. It carries more weight when you have the full roster of vocals for the harmony switching and different lead and harmony vocal blends.

Go with her...where? You mean into FJ? 🤔

Chiaki is a master at the ethnic vocalizations. Keiko is still a student.

There are times that she sounds like Wakana. I've even heard Kaori sound like Joelle in the low range at a point in the YKL17 "Vice Versa". It's that resonance/placement that sometimes makes them sound similar. I would imagine that YK notices/anticipates these moments as part of her arrangements.

That was so asymmetrical! No Wakana

Yes she sure was! You need to reign Kaori in with clear directions if you are going to have energetic choruses. 🤣 Maybe she was covering for the fact that there were fewer singers? 4 instead of 6/9? Who knows? Oh and I think Kaori has a lot of power to spare and rarely gets to let loose in FJ arrangements. She always seems to be looking for the chance to do so.

She just has this presence and dramatic embodiment of the character she's singing, especially when they're having darker emotions. Still unique in the FJ lineup in that respect, in my opinion (acting skills).

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Too lazy to edit but:
About reona: I mean as in if Kajiura's going to have more guest vocals/extra vocals for her live I'd much prefer ReoNa over Lino Leia/aimer. She has a aimer-like singing style but doesn't as draggy and annoying as aimer's. She also has Lino Leia's range but doesn't sound as nasal as Leia's voice. Plus iirc on the unedited Soukyuu no Fanfare live from SAO event, she and Haruna Luna were the ones that actually can stay in tune. Eir and ASCA were awful, Eir can't sing and I've said this and I'm saying it again: ASCA is just a bargain/heavily discounted Keiko lmao

about Chiaki: she sings KnY main theme more smoothly and her notes are more connected than Keiko's, but her voice was extremely nasal to the point where it pierced my ears in a really unpleasant way. Imho Keiko should've just stick to the way she sang KnY Main Theme in YKL#15.

She has a aimer-like singing style but doesn't as draggy and annoying as aimer's. She also has Lino Leia's range but doesn't sound as nasal as Leia's voice.
So ReoNa is the best of both worlds. I got the sense she’s a capable singer (and entertainer) from her NHL performance channel. She seems to like jazz influences (in multiple tracks I’ve seen) so she’s not straight pop in her sensibilities.
Plus iirc on the unedited Soukyuu no Fanfare live from SAO event, she and Haruna Luna were the ones that actually can stay in tune.
I think I saw this somewhere. Can you please direct me to it? The official release made it seem like Eir was singing well on the soprano side, though her YouTube videos disabused me of that initial notion. 😅
KnY Main Theme in YKL#15
I’ll have to go check that out again.

Back