Game musics thread :)

Didn't know that she was credited on Gestalt & Replicant tracks ? I only know about Emi Evans & Nami Nakagawa.
Or did I miss a voice in this Blu-Bird remaster ?

#44 NieR Re[in]carnation / MONACA (Keiichi Okabe, Syotarou Seo)
HEY.png
So, compared to the youtube uploads from Square Enix official youtube channel:

BGM紹介ムービー第1弾 = Kaikyō - 懐郷 (but this one has no vocals in the 2nd part)
BGM紹介ムービー第2弾 = Tōriame - 通リ雨 (but this one also has vocals in the 1st part, and the 2nd part is a bit different)
BGM紹介ムービー第3弾 = Ikō - 威光 (but this one has choirs in the 1st part and not the 2nd)
BGM紹介ムービー第4弾 = Ruten - 流転 (but this one has vocals in the 1st part and not the 2nd)
BGM紹介ムービー第5弾 = Shinpan - 審判 (but this one has choirs in the 1st part and not the 2nd)

maybe I prefer the YouTube uploads because I like when the choir / vocal drop after a teasing and not directly ^^

Will check NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... later

Last edited:
#45 NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... / MONACA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iolFyqnFS34
Justisamuel, you dumbass!.png
Some new tracks are really good. Great reorchestrations of the old tracks.
Looks like they have hired conductors for this one...
Goodbye Nami Nakagawa, hello opera singer Saki Nakae (?)
flute by Rie Akagi (as in the orchestral arrangement albums)
With instruments being more present, this demonstrates that not only the choirs & vocals make the NiER music outstanding.

Snow in Summer - longer, choir is more quiet, more brass & strings, less drums
Hills of Radiant Winds - longer, guitar is more acoustic, less percussions
The Incomplete Stone - shorter, no a capella choir part, strings added
Blu-bird - longer, more electronic (?), original instrumental segment added
Song of the Ancients / Popola - longer, bells replace the electronic sound
Cold Steel Coffin - longer, choir sounds different, more strings, brass, less drums
Grandma - more strings and also added in the first part, no drums
The Wretched Automatons - 1 min longer BUT strings replace vocals for 2 min
Yonah / Pluck Ver. - compare to Yonah (Pluck Version 2) and not Yonah (Pluck Version 1); longer but not really different (not at all?)
City of Commerce - WORTH - longer, flute more prominent and has a nice solo segment
The Prestigious Mask - WORTH - longer, cello (?) added, flute more prominent... but oboe (?) less present
Temple of Drifting Sands - WORTH - longer, vocals are more operatic and less NiER-ish, guitar & strings are more world-ish
Gods Bound by Rules - WORTH - operatic vocals, male choir added, less bombastic, brass added, original brass/strings segment added
Dispossession / Piano Ver. - longer, more quiet
Ashes of Dreams / New - brass added, not really different

Kainé / Premonition - NEW - a capella vocals
Song of the Ancients / Devola - longer, short vocal variation towards the end
The Ultimate Weapon - longer but not really different
Halua - NEW - just a small piano piece
Deep Crimson Foe - WORTH - choir has more notes, more bross, sounds even more like a Final Fantasy track
The Lost Forest - some vocals added, less drums
His Dream - longer, vocals sound different, a bit more "starry"
This Dream - same
Dispossession / Strings Ver. - longer, contrabass (?) more prominent
Kainé / Salvation - longer, strings added
The Dark Colossus Destroys All - longer, choir sounds more masculine, more brass, less bombastic, long original choir/brass segment added
Yonah / Piano Ver.
- longer, no difference (?)
Ashes of Dreams / Nouveau - not really different, but each instrument layer is more distinct
Ashes of Dreams / Naudhaich - WORTH - strings replaced by flute & oboe
Ashes of Dreams / Lost Music Box Version - NEW

Fleeting Words / Family - NEW - Beautiful vocals, guitar and harp
Fleeting Words / Outsider - NEW - Choirs, epic
Repose - longer, vocals less distinct (no more lalala), more starry
Song of the Ancients / Hollow Dreams - longer, less tribal and more jazzy
Dispossession / Music Box Ver. - longer, not really different
Shadowlord's Castle - longer, first part is "memory" and second part "roar", brass added, less bombastic, now missing the drum solo
Dance of the Evanescent - longer, I thought my file was broken
Song of the Ancients / Fate - WORTH - no vocals in 2nd part, oboe added, epic string intro but another mov replaced by a brass mov (1:26)
Emil / Karma - WORTH - a long vocal segment replaced by epic brass & bit strings
Emil / Sacrifice - WORTH - a long vocal segment replaced by piano, music-box, flute
Shadowlord - WORTH - longer, super brassy, less drums
Analogous Memories - NEW - Hungarian choir
Grandma / Reunion - NEW - Choir, harp, brass, strings
Kainé / Escape - longer, brass added
Ashes of Dreams / Aratanaru - brass added

Too lazy to compare with the live orchestral albums
Feel free to tell if I've missed something (probably...)

Last edited:
I only listened to the new Song of the Ancients - Fate and I hate to be grumpy... but original all the way right now. Maybe I'll get used to it when I get back to the whole OST.

strings fest lol.

the music is so good but the time when you have to stop arranging same thing over and over may be fast approaching.

i wish Kajiura had something like this too but unfortunately not. mabbe SAO orchestra? sigh

My favorite tracks: Blu-bird, Cold Steel Coffin, The wretched automatons, City of commerce, The prestigious mask, Temple of drifting sands, Shadowlord

My absolute NOs: Gods bound by rules, Deep crimson foe, The lost forest, Emil/karma.

Review below:

Snow in Summer: I like the orchestral arrangement (OA) album : https://vgmdb.net/album/78244 better. the high notes coming from children choir are not as haunting.
Hills of Radiant Winds: not much different really. I like it.
Blu-bird: definitely prefer this version over original. much crisper percussion and choir and strings is a nice addition.
Cold Steel coffin: orchestra sound wise it's a big improvement. love it. choir is also superior to the original vocals.
Grandma: hmm too too too fast piano. I like it but both original and the OA album are better. too many overlapping sounds that appear as if just to appear. simplicity of the original Grandma piece is much more effective. like the overly dramatic strings toward the end was unnecessary.
The Wretched automatons: strings is so much better here. cello with vocals yes yes. worked so well. 5:37 minutes but no boredom. epic, sad, hopeful.
City of Commerce: flute sublime. go Rie !!! yes so good. lovely sounds.
The Prestigious Mask: see above. the oboe is heartbreakingly good. the strings enter at 0:44 ah lovely.. then flute. just super. the cello at the end. it's one leitmotif used so well. much better than the original.
Temple of drifting sands: the operatic sound is yes. very very good. strings in the middle is also yes. very dramatic. joining of vocal + strings in the latter section is simply magical. strings is also very middle-eastern like.
Gods bound by rules: NO. NO. NO. didn't work. moving on. collection of epical notes? choir? the original is COLOSSALLY better. also the concert version is much better.

Kaine/Premonition: a capella - nice. too long tho.
Deep Crimson Foe: NO. AAA. no no no. original is so much better. the children choir is so underwhelming, the desperation felt in the original track is but lost here. the latter part is a nice addition but the mix that with the original vocals and perfection it would have been.
The lost forest: another DIDN'T work track. the original is miles ahead.
Dispossesion - Strings ver.: very well done strings. but not much different.
Dark Colossus Destroys All: OA album is better. It's not too bad but technically the arrangement is far inferior. Ryuichi Takada seems to have a way of having their choir and strings segmented with pauses which doesn't really work for me.
Ashes of Dreams - Nouveau: hmm no. original is better. the problem with this arrangement is that strings is trumped by too much violin. it's screechy at times and makes its too melodramatic (there's already a lot of that )
Ashes of Dreams - Naudhaich: gotta love that oboe flute horn combo. Ryuichi Takeda saves it here. blending of instruments at the end is just sublime.

Fleeting Words/Family: nice vocals. finally a track that ends properly lol.
Fleeting Words/Outsider: epic. bombastic. choir is underwhelmed but otherwise very enjoyable. trumpet? at 1:08 is a bit funny. midsection is very nuce.
Shadowlords castle: i like the electronica interlude before things get hectic. choir is nice too. more male.
Dance of the Evanescent: nice short chamber music then wtf something weird happens, the track goes nuts ? sth wrong with the rip?
Song of the Ancients/Fate: very nice strings intro. midsection blends of instruments is a bit chaotic but works ok. it's a VERY nice arrangement but... the original's feeling is different, it's simpler and more effective.
Emil/Karma: vocals are a big NO. na na na. it's epic no question but I prefer original.
Emil/Sacrifice: flute is so so good but vocals are still no. the instruments are so good I will learn to tolerate the vocals.
Shadowlord: SUBLIME. so haunting so powerful. a huge yes. I paid attention to every second. the choir has so a bit more power here than the vocals in the original (a bit mind). the ending section goosebumpy. my only qualm is the LOOPING TRACK. gah.
Analogous memories: I liked it but the vocals are bit screechy. I don't mind alien manifestation but I minded a bit here.
Grandma/Reunion: not sure if I like the repeating choir parts. hmm no.
Aratanaru
: nice orchestra sound no question.

Last edited:
i wish Kajiura had something like this too but unfortunately not. mabbe SAO orchestra? sigh

City of Commerce: flute sublime. go Rie !!! yes so good. lovely sounds.
The Prestigious Mask: see above. the oboe is heartbreakingly good. the strings enter at 0:44 ah lovely.. then flute. just super. the cello at the end. it's one leitmotif used so well. much better than the original.
Temple of drifting sands: the operatic sound is yes. very very good. strings in the middle is also yes. very dramatic. joining of vocal + strings in the latter section is simply magical. strings is also very middle-eastern like.
Ashes of Dreams - Naudhaich: gotta love that oboe flute horn combo. Ryuichi Takeda saves it here. blending of instruments at the end is just sublime.
Dance of the Evanescent: nice short chamber music then wtf something weird happens, the track goes nuts ? sth wrong with the rip?
Emil/Sacrifice: flute is so so good but vocals are still no. the instruments are so good I will learn to tolerate the vocals.
Yuki Kajiura as a guest composer alongside MONACA and orchestrators would make sense for me.

Yes, the new instruments made it all worth it. Rie Akagi may be the best addition to this remake imo.

"City of Commerce" would be a reason for me to launch the game just to stay afk ^^

As for "Dance of the Evanescent", yeah, wtf, don't try to fix your computer ;)

Now waiting for the "another edit version"s from the Weiss edition...

you may as well believe this because the creators of the game (and maybe music?) seem to be a bit eccentric (or at least trying to be?) but
the distorted track that is dance of the evanescent is for real. that's how it's made and appears in the game. ha ha. well i mean it's nice... but nauseating so I'll pass that track :p

that shadowlord is so freking powerful... orchestration was very well done in most cases so this remake got a thumbs up from me. super happy that Rie joined too. maybe she can convince Kajiura that there is a whole other world out there. ! ! (and convince her to give it a listen lol)

you may as well believe this because the creators of the game (and maybe music?) seem to be a bit eccentric (or at least trying to be?)
Their craziest idea was the NieR:Automata DLC where you have to fight the boss of Square Enix shouting "shachō desu!" every 5 seconds or so (also in the music)... or was it the trap that deletes your save at the end of the game? haha
super happy that Rie joined too. maybe she can convince Kajiura that there is a whole other world out there. ! ! (and convince her to give it a listen lol)
Kajiurago vs New-FR, would it be considered as a culture shock? ;p

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... Weiss Edition special soundtrack

finally caught up with the arrange album

Snow in Summer - Another Edit Version / basically a shortened version
Hills of Radiant Winds - Another Edit Version / vocal starts later, instruments at different places
Kainé - Another Edit Version / = "Escape" + "Salvation", but with less layers of instruments
Gods Bound by Rules - Another Edit Version / really different: stays mostly focused on the choir, with different reverb
Deep Crimson Foe - Another Edit Version / 2-min from "The Ultimate Weapon", then normal track but choirs only in the last part
Emil - Another Edit Version / "Sacrifice" 1st-half (vocal part) + the entire "Karma" track but with less drums during the 2nd-half, the climax is way shorter with main vocals coming back sooner (this instrumental section with bit-strings & brass from 1:30 to 3:00 was grandiose in the main track)
Fleeting Words - Another Edit Version / short part from "Family" but with guitar instead of harp + part of "Outsider" but with less drums
Song of the Ancients - Another Edit Version / basically a mix of "Devola" & "Fate", more acoustic, less layers, still includes the new vocal segment from "Devola" but with strings fes instead of guitar, last 1min30 a capella
Shadowlord - Another Edit Version / I can hear no difference, except that this is shorter?
Analogous Memories - Another Edit Version / instruments at different places

at least I think so.
And disc 2 is not arranged by them so...

Back