Far on the water Lyrics

If I heard wrong then sorry lol

gogatsu no mahou

oltia esti soldia
imi soritoltido
aria toltia esti soldia
imi firia tomariso
aria to

@nimsaj you missed one, 音の無い海聞く change to が :)

@nimsaj :bow: :sohappy:

I have a few questions about my translations:

1)
誰も届かない波間に落ちる
雨に触れたような
細い調べ
Could it be that they used the wrong kanji and it's 雨に降られた instead? Makes more sense to say "as if it fell with the rain" than "as if it was touched by the rain" here IMHO...? But I translated it conservatively as "touched".

2)
分かり合えないことばかり
いっそ丸ごと飲み込んで
つっかえた
I translated it conservatively too, but I think I understand it as: you swallowed up "unchewed" all the things we didn't understand of each other and they got stuck in your throat <-- or something, what do you think?

3)
どんな魂胆も
まだ可愛いもんで
Here I assume that "kawaii" means "you're dear to me", but when I came up with "no matter what your motives are, you're so cute!" I went something between :dote: and :plot: and decided to keep it like that (as opposed to my other two conservative translations) :spotlight:

Let me know what you think! :bow:

@yuki.n :dote:

1) hmmm well i listened to the song it does sound like fureta..which is weird..it makes sense in japanese, i guess.what i understand of it, it could be like "similar to touching the rain"...doesn't make much sense in english to be honest lol sometimes kajiura's lyrics has me scratching my head hahahaha

2) i understand this as:
you drank in all of
the things that we didn't mutually understand
and choked on them

this is a tricky one as well lol

3) this i understand as:
No matter what your motives are
you will still be dear to me

also, i hope you don't mind some corrections? :bow: if you have any corrections for mine, do let me know :) i always love hearing your versions/thoughts!

in hokage, this might be a bit better:
your little finger was too far
as you gently played the last note
on a sweet piano
——
“the light closer than you think”
you soft laugh by my side
——
a kind memory that exists
within a starless night
where even sadness leaves
behind a sweet shape
is by your side

in identify, this might be a bit better:
I can hear your voice,
i’ll try to be there in a bit
Look, I am opening the door
that I closed before pain
——
I want to meet you now
i still miss you
——
you drank in all of
and choked on them
——
I want to meet you now
I still miss you
——
I want to meet you
I still miss you
——
we shout some things
that really looked like love

@nimsaj :bow:

1) hmmm well i listened to the song it does sound like fureta..which is weird..it makes sense in japanese, i guess.what i understand of it, it could be like "similar to touching the rain"...doesn't make much sense in english to be honest lol sometimes kajiura's lyrics has me scratching my head hahahaha
You're right, they do say "fureta", how didn't I notice before? I just read it as "furareta" and stopped bothering... so yeah, in that case I guess it really is "similar to touching the rain"... :confu:

2) i understand this as:
you drank in all of
and choked on them
Exactly, that's what I also understood, except you expressed it much better in English!
Fun fact: This part can actually be translated into Greek quite literally, because both "drank in" and "choked on them" can be used as expressions which can actually explain quite well what Kajiura sensei meant here.
So the expressions are (a bit more Greek-literally):
"to swallow something unchewed" - to internalize an external event (or someone's words) without any thinking/processing - but you can't easily do this
"[something] sat in one's throat" - inability to accept/internalize something, and as a result it affects you badly

Now, if you say in Greek "κατάπιες αμάσητα όσα δεν καταλαβαίναμε ο ένας από τον άλλο και σου'κατσαν στο λαιμό", it actually becomes VERY expressive - but go translate that into English. :XD: What you said sounds fairly accurate, except it maybe misses the figurative meaning? Or do I just see it too easily because of Greek?

[first I use the Japanese translation to reverse-engineer the lyrics of a song in German, then I use Greek to explain the lyrics of a Japanese song in English...!] :vortex:

3) this i understand as:
Yes, the "reasonable" translation :)

also, i hope you don't mind some corrections? :bow: if you have any corrections for mine, do let me know :) i always love hearing your versions/thoughts!
Sure! The problem here is that I just can't seem to find the dedication to say "now I'll sit down and check someone else's translation" lately... :spotlight: especially for songs that I haven't yet memorized, it takes a while to look back at the Japanese text, process it, then switch to the translation, compare with what I understand, etc...

in hokage, this might be a bit better:
[...]
“the light closer than you think”
you soft laugh by my side
Were you tired? This sounds like it could use some rephrasing in English... :confu:

in identify, this might be a bit better:
I can hear your voice,
i’ll try to be there in a bit
Look, I am opening the door
that I closed before pain
Nice idea, thanks! I didn't think about it this way!

I want to meet you now
i still miss you
——
you drank in all of
and choked on them
——
I want to meet you now
I still miss you
——
I want to meet you
I still miss you
——
we shout some things
that really looked like love

Thanks a lot! :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
@nimsaj
I was failing to understand the meaning of "musunde hiraku" and asked a Japanese friend, and he gave me some great insight:
1) There is a children's song called "musunde hiraite"
2) The meaning behind "tying a knot and opening" is this (wedding invitation): http://1kuchi.way-nifty.com/blog/2011/09/post-c145.html

I thought it meant "musunde" as "an opening that's sealed-closed" (and then opens up again), but it's this "red string of fate" (often seen in Japanese culture) that's tied in this case :dote:

Maybe it should be put underneath the lyrics as "translator's notes" or something?

Thank you so much everyone for your hard work! I wish I knew Japanese. *sigh* I must take a class. Hopefully next year. I love all the lyrics. Thought: who is this person that Yuki is in love with? Ahhh! Heh That's what my sister asked me when I let her read my poems. It seems like she likes writing love poems for Kala to sing. identify is strangely this, at least I think so.

And yes, ninetales left the forum but he said to me that you can still ask him things by PM I think.

You're right, they do say "fureta", how didn't I notice before? I just read it as "furareta" and stopped bothering... so yeah, in that case I guess it really is "similar to touching the rain"... :confu:

no worries :) we all make mistakes. but that had me scratching my head, too. lol

Exactly, that's what I also understood, except you expressed it much better in English!
Fun fact: This part can actually be translated into Greek quite literally, because both "drank in" and "choked on them" can be used as expressions which can actually explain quite well what Kajiura sensei meant here.
So the expressions are (a bit more Greek-literally):
"to swallow something unchewed" - to internalize an external event (or someone's words) without any thinking/processing - but you can't easily do this
"[something] sat in one's throat" - inability to accept/internalize something, and as a result it affects you badly

Now, if you say in Greek "κατάπιες αμάσητα όσα δεν καταλαβαίναμε ο ένας από τον άλλο και σου'κατσαν στο λαιμό", it actually becomes VERY expressive - but go translate that into English. :XD: What you said sounds fairly accurate, except it maybe misses the figurative meaning? Or do I just see it too easily because of Greek?

[first I use the Japanese translation to reverse-engineer the lyrics of a song in German, then I use Greek to explain the lyrics of a Japanese song in English...!] :vortex:

whoa..now that's dedication! german to greek and then english??? wow! & you can always add the figurative meaning if you'd like :) maybe i was too conservative when i translated that line? the problem with me is that i actually have trouble sometimes expressing the lyrics in english because i understand the lyrics in japanese...not sure if that makes sense? lol when i lived in japan, it got to the point where i thought in japanese, not english! hahahaha! i can express so many things in japanese and have trouble translating myself..weird :XD:

Sure! The problem here is that I just can't seem to find the dedication to say "now I'll sit down and check someone else's translation" lately... :spotlight: especially for songs that I haven't yet memorized, it takes a while to look back at the Japanese text, process it, then switch to the translation, compare with what I understand, etc...

hey, no problem! if you don't have time, it's totally fine. thank you for translating the songs i didn't do, though! it helped me a ton..i've been so busy with work lol

Were you tired? This sounds like it could use some rephrasing in English... :confu:

OOPS! yes i was :XD:
"the light is closer than you think," you softly laugh by my side

@nimsaj
I was failing to understand the meaning of "musunde hiraku" and asked a Japanese friend, and he gave me some great insight:
1) There is a children's song called "musunde hiraite"
2) The meaning behind "tying a knot and opening" is this (wedding invitation): http://1kuchi.way-nifty.com/blog/2011/09/post-c145.html

I thought it meant "musunde" as "an opening that's sealed-closed" (and then opens up again), but it's this "red string of fate" (often seen in Japanese culture) that's tied in this case :dote:

Maybe it should be put underneath the lyrics as "translator's notes" or something?

wow! i actually didn't know about this! how cute!!! yes, we definitely have to somehow put this as trans notes thanks to you, @yuki.n ! :sohappy::dote:

Thank you so much everyone for your hard work! I wish I knew Japanese. *sigh* I must take a class. Hopefully next year. I love all the lyrics. Thought: who is this person that Yuki is in love with? Ahhh! Heh That's what my sister asked me when I let her read my poems. It seems like she likes writing love poems for Kala to sing. identify is strangely this, at least I think so.

And yes, ninetales left the forum but he said to me that you can still ask him things by PM I think.

good luck :) i hope you're able to take a class. although japanese is fun until you get to the counters LOL i still have trouble with those :XD:

& yes, i agree. she write really amazing lyrics concerning love..who is this mysterious person she is in love with? lol jk:plot:

whoa..now that's dedication! german to greek and then english??? wow!
I was actually referring to the Noi thread, where I used the Japanese official translation in order to figure out the (almost incomprehensible) German lyrics: https://forum.canta-per-me.net/threads/madoka-noi-complete-thanks-yuki-n.5250/#post-274089 this post and the next 3-4 ones :)

& you can always add the figurative meaning if you'd like :) maybe i was too conservative when i translated that line?
My biggest problem here is that I don't know how to properly express that in English... Furthermore, I'm not sure to what extent the same figurative meaning can be used in Japanese without sounding weird/Kajiura-ish :XD: So maybe we could just use your version, unless you come up with something better?

the problem with me is that i actually have trouble sometimes expressing the lyrics in english because i understand the lyrics in japanese...not sure if that makes sense? lol when i lived in japan, it got to the point where i thought in japanese, not english! hahahaha! i can express so many things in japanese and have trouble translating myself..weird :XD:
I know, right!! :XD: The Japanese syntax / way of thinking is so different from European languages that it totally rewires your brain! I remember for the first year or so, I was feeling like this meme here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing - and at some point, everything suddenly clicked together and that was the magic point where I really loved the Japanese language :dote:

@yuki.n
for the "nomikonde tsukkaeta"...i asked my friend about the trans i had and he said i was right, but that i could have a better trans with the missing figurative meanings :XD: so what i came up with after some research on the words (i don't normally use those, so i had to look up the other meanings) was:

you grasped all of the things
that we didn't mutually understand
and stumbled over them*

* (as in stumbled over your words)

i showed this version to my friend and explained to him what it meant in simple terms, all he said was えぇ?すっげぇ君は :XD:

& YES!!! it totally does rewire your brain lol!!! finally, someone who understands! my parents thought i was boasting at "how good" i was in japanese by saying i forgot some english and had trouble translating..not the case! my brain was like NOPE I'M STAYING IN JAPANESE MODE BYE hahaha! & that meme is priceless...that's how i felt when i first arrived at shinjuku station. i was so lost since it's huge and so many people going different ways and my speaking level wasn't so good etc etc..i thought to myself "what are you doing here?" but once i got the hang of it, i fell in love with the language and country :dote:
:sohappy:

Thank you guys so much for your hard work translating these!!! :chuu: :chuu:

I wasn't sure where to post this because it's a bit of a weird question, but there's this one part in Gogatsu no Mahou that I really like and where I find the lyrics really interesting (even though I don't quite understand them):

"the beautiful water drawn by a child
who does not know of the sea
is the real sea"

So I was just wondering what you guys' interpretation is of this verse (I'm guessing it's Kajiura-style metaphorical or something?). Because I just find this image very quaint and unusual and I'm not sure what it means even though it's kind of bugging me in the back of my mind that it seems to mean something.

for the "nomikonde tsukkaeta"...i asked my friend about the trans i had and he said i was right, but that i could have a better trans with the missing figurative meanings :XD: so what i came up with after some research on the words (i don't normally use those, so i had to look up the other meanings) was:

you grasped all of the things
that we didn't mutually understand
and stumbled over them*

* (as in stumbled over your words)
Sounds nice! :goodjob:

& YES!!! it totally does rewire your brain lol!!! finally, someone who understands! my parents thought i was boasting at "how good" i was in japanese by saying i forgot some english and had trouble translating..not the case! my brain was like NOPE I'M STAYING IN JAPANESE MODE BYE hahaha! & that meme is priceless...that's how i felt when i first arrived at shinjuku station. i was so lost since it's huge and so many people going different ways and my speaking level wasn't so good etc etc..i thought to myself "what are you doing here?" but once i got the hang of it, i fell in love with the language and country :dote:
:sohappy:
Maybe we should take this to off-topic? :XD: But when I first went to Japan, for the first weekend I was with a Japanese friend, then for a couple of days I almost wouldn't speak at all when in shops etc... I was afraid of accidentally insulting them because of using the wrong level of politeness :desksweat: (though I do know that a non-Japanese face practically earns me a free pass, but still!) Then I noticed that (just like at my lessons) it's the employee, and not the customer, that should use the highest level of politeness - at the same time I called sensei and she was like "no no!! your Japanese is great, use it, don't be afraid!", and since then I don't remember myself having any issues :XD:

Anyone have the Kajiurago for far on the water? :XD:

This is what I heard:

adito
istio sariya
kanadista iya
konti samariya
estiosa
ita
iya kontamia
idote

Also Kajiurago for Musunde hiraku.

This is what I heard:

hikari no irie de

(aria)

nidoto ikenai basho de machiukete iru

sasaete iru

(solta ima dora
konsta ima iya)

ame o matsu haiiro no oka de
(iya)
kimi wa dare to deai

Last edited by a moderator:
@nimsaj - I've only succeeded in the not getting lost in Shinjuku station part.
hahahahaha! i just got lost my first time. i was just a bit overwhelmed at first.

@yuki.n we should start a thread about our adventures in japan! i have a buuuunch LOL :p

@Cerise
"the beautiful water drawn by a child
is the real sea"
to me, this means something along the lines of "the pictures of water drawn by the children that have no idea what the sea looks like because they have never seen it is the real sea--meaning, their imaginations are beautiful" :)

If you finished with correcting the songs, can someone make a post or PM me the finished versions ? it will save time from trying to find out where all the fixes are :) thank you!

i can do the kajiurago myself :)

thanks so much for translating @yuki.n and @nimsaj :chuu:

gogatsu no mahou's lyrics about children and the sea is probably my favourite lines of the song.. but I do have a question: what's the difference in usage of 書く and 描く when they can both be pronounced as かく? Is 描くused more for drawing while 書く for writing? Or are they interchangeable?

sorry @george1234 i've been so busy i haven't checked the forum. do you still need the lyrics? here are the corrected lyrics i did. i edited them a bit right before posting this lol

Musunde Hiraku (むすんでひらく)

still holding onto the things
that you gave me in the hollows
of my palms,
i follow the rusted rail
of the last station i have already passed through

i was imagining a future
where we met by chance that
i had dreamt about

since our fingers that are on top of one another
will become transparent,
we bound our hearts together.
you were crying due a tender past;
hearing the music of our infinite connection,
“i am not alone” we thought for the first time
so we opened our eyes

in order not to touch the fine thread
within our hearts that contain precious sounds,
you painted a picture with colorless paints
of memories you have chosen
at a bay of light during that summer day

a promise that is awaiting in a place
where we can never go again
will always remain protected
it so gently supports
the treetops that shake in the wind

the future continues on;
while the warm wind calls out to us
at an ashen hill that awaits rain
who will you meet?
who will i think of?

the planetarium’s sky
awaits the darkness
an assortment of walls will be exposed
and the place where it’s imprisoned will shine for the first time.
dynamos that move us
and the clusters of dreams that hide our breath
will bind and spread out

drops of the blue summer rain
immediately sinks towards the bottom
of lakes
the time will surely come
when our tender hearts that have been raised
to take in only cold things
will once again bloom

五月の魔法 (Gogatsu no mahou)

the music of waves that cannot be heard
that the light-blue dawn dreamt of
is a slightly bright blue sound
that lies within my pale heart

during the magic of may
when you told me the name of flowers,
it is when we fell in love, right?
if you were to have held out your hand to me
it seemed as if we could go everywhere

“i love you so” the world sings
with the silent voice of a lover
since it calls out softly to you from a distance
you shoot through the sky by yourself

during the much missed music of summer
i sailed on a bamboo leaf boat and ran away
the truth is that just until a bit before
you were supposedly next to me, right?

in a sparkling morning of farewells,
the colorful rain soaks us
and starts illuminating our glances
of when we remembered to believe

i sing of the place where light resides
for the sake of believing in a word called “love”
important things lie within this heart of mine
you point beyond the sky

let’s make the routes of dreams shine
taking away the loneliness
of small birds that flap their wings

calling a wooden horse on its way west to a halt,
i left one kiss upon your closed eyes
and i had sung of the warmth of your cold fingers
by a window

the beautiful water drawn by a child
is the real sea
as for the things i do not want to loose
they are always here

“i want to keep loving you” the world sings
it shakes the bells of life
and since it calls out softly to you from a distance
you shoot through dreams by yourself
with a heart that remains pale

monochrome

with only a monochrome sigh
colors are still invisible
and just collect scattered images
without any goal

you sing of
the sound of an unmoving clock
and the silhouette of white darkness
with a languid voice
(with a sentiment of doing so by the window)

i want to try to describe
only the things i don’t want to put into words
they become a song of the shape of water
overflowing in transparency

the rhythm of the night shakes your heart
and you are moved to tears by boundless things
you are still burned by pages that are only white
you cannot sleep, wanting to play with someone

never being pointless,
i talk too much without any indication
as i make a fuss about my desires
where is the song that is only yours?

the wind from the window touched your cheek
you cannot sleep, wanting to play with someone

a note that shines ambiguously touched your hands
you want to play with the restless sounds

うすむらさき (Usumurasaki )

like the remains of a sweet dream i wake up from
the light purple that is always behind my eyelids
colors me

the whispered intimacies of spring
that are engraved in violet and wither
are songs of parting
from water that gave up something
so that it could soon depart from the sea

the lonely side of wings
that a white bird showed me
and the ends of the morning fog that
will soon disappear towards
a place that resembles the night
color everything

the aroma of sweet flowers
that bloom like mistakes
is within your palm.
from darkness to light,
your heart will be snatched away
by the color of the darkening daybreak.
a melody within a dream
drips upon the sand of my thirsty heart.
the world once again becomes dear to me
as it follows my prolonged reminisces

beyond the skylights,
there's a single song that's
similar to light
of things that linger and fall,
which lies in a place where you
are forbidden to touch

a light melancholy that grows stiff
upon a cold hollow of a knee
and the fall twilight where people who
cannot become kind have cried

color everything
color you

空色の椅子 (sorairo no isu)

why do clouds that
yearn for and chase after the summer sky
shine to this extent?

upon a light-blue chair
remains only the silhouette
of someone that had laughed

a hat that has been
thrown upon the water
by the wind
looks for a place to sink

even so, i am looking up at the sky above me, which
took on a form that has somewhat become brilliant

if i were to be able to go on a path
and shower it with flowers
the aroma of winter would come to me

a migrating bird that is late in joining the flock
doesn't want to be alone
so the wind helps it go south sooner

upon a chair with traces of someone that has left
loneliness is quietly sitting

you came often, didn't you?
until fall surely ends
you will remain there, right?

@aki no problem :) those are actually my favorite lines, too! gogatsu's lyrics really moved me to tears lol & you are correct. they can both be "kaku" but 書く generally is used as "to write" while 描くis used as "to draw/paint/etc"

Reactions: aki
thanks! I meant kanji romanji and translation in one post
and btw only the kanji for far on the water are posted so far. the rest ?

Back