“Hikaru”Birthday EVENT 2018" + Kalafina "Wakana" in Concert with the Roma・Italia Orchestra

My Favorite Things? Even though Wakana is a much better singer, I can’t imagine her version holding a candle to Yuuka’s rendition.

That Wakana dress looked so fugly, the seams are done so unprofessionally it hurt my eyes why

Arrangement maybe, but the kawaii not-singing completely ruins it.
I find her perfectly in-character, naive Engrish singing totally charming.

Edit: Also, I agree that Wakana’s dress and the photography could have been better.

Anw those english songs after Kizuato are Ryu Masaki's solo according to a twitter report I read. Some chorus singers provided backing/choral works for Wakana and idk what's this girl's name, Mana Ogawa if I read her kanji name correctly which iirc is also a spacecraft artist provided backing vocals on some songs on the 2nd part of the concert.

And idk if it's just me being bitter or so prejudiced against Wakana's live vocal ability but whenever I read someone said/wrote "she did great, she didn't strain her voice at all etc", I just couldn't believe it. Like in 10th anniv Budokan everyone praised her but she wasn't even that great when you actually listened to her voice alone. so many strains and flats and tightness were present in her voice. She did hit the notes much better than she used to be but she's still far from flawless.

Really want to hear the new Wakana's solo song tho. With Hikaru and Wakana each branching into their own solo activities I wonder whether they still want to be in the group Kalafina/Kalafina as a group still goes on or they're just using Kalafina name to boost their own solo career.

I find her perfectly in-character, naive Engrish singing totally charming.

Edit: Also, I agree that Wakana’s dress and the photography could have been better.

Me too re: my favorite thing. Keep in mind that Yuuka's character there wasn't a professional singer, she was pretty much roped into a jam session if i remember the episode correctly. I think Yuuka and Kanno opted for her to sing that way. I too find it really charming and fun to listen to.

And people, you may not like Yuuka's tone but technically she's a much better singer than Wakana. Also doesn't Yuuka actually have a degree in vocal music? She is actually professionally and a academically trained to sing.

And idk if it's just me being bitter or so prejudiced against Wakana's live vocal ability but whenever I read someone said/wrote "she did great, she didn't strain her voice at all etc", I just couldn't believe it.
Same. So many times "they were all great! Wakana is back to her old voice! Lit. perfect!" And then a video came out, and none of that was true, hue.

Edit: just read a report of this concert, and of course "Flawless. She has never sounded better imo. Her voice was so strong and pure and perfect and she hit each and every note. " hue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Wakana is a better singer. She's a different singer from Yuuka. I don't compare the two. I don't compare any of YK's singers to each other. I'm more likely to compare them to other (mostly English speaking) singers.

What I'm pleased about is that Wakana and Hikaru do write their own songs. I suspected they did by their poetic blog posts. I don't know about Keiko though. Time will tell if she suddenly pops up with her own written album, or single.... a co write with Kaori and / or Ayaka... yeah... I'd like that trio... I digress.

Anyways. YAY for Wakana and Hikaru for recording their own songs. FINALLY !!!

May I ask why?
Might be a different reason for him, but I've seen others compared them to western singers to make them look better. Usually in bad Kalafina performances. "Well, at least they're not Taylor Swift/Selena Gomez/Rebbeca Black bad"

>Mfw when some tried to say Kalafina sings better than Lady Gaga.
Kek

And idk if it's just me being bitter or so prejudiced against Wakana's live vocal ability but whenever I read someone said/wrote "she did great, she didn't strain her voice at all etc", I just couldn't believe it.

All three have had times when their live performance voices haven't been studio recording quality, that is part of not cancelling shows whenever anything is short of being perfect.

Last edited:
May I ask why?

It has to do with the sound of their voices. Closest I have to compare to Wakana is Anneke van Giersbergen. Kaiida reminds me of Kate Bush. Yuki Yoshida reminds me of Maggie Reilly. Kaori reminds me of Kim Wilde. Keiko... well.. she's a contralto and no two contraltos are the same. I like a lot of contraltos. Yuuka reminds me of Cara Dillion, She sang for Milke Oldfield on his tubular Bells 3 album. I have one of her albums. No one to compare Hikaru to yet.

Huge thanks to putschki1969 on tumblr for writing up a report. I was definitely curious to know about the arrangements and such. You can view it here. Also, here's the setlist with Romanji for those like me who aren't very good at reading kanji:

~ First half ~
1) ニュー・シネマ・パラダイス (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso Theme)
2) oblivious
3) 君が光に変えて行く (Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku)
4) 傷跡 (Kizuato)
5) My Favorite Things
6) My Heart Will Go On
7) I Don't Want Miss A Thing
8) SHADOWLAND
9) Waving Through a Window
10) 自由を求めて (Jiyuu wo Motomete)
~ Second half ~
1) Jupiter
2) 水の証 (Mizu no Akashi)
3) 灯影 (Hokage)
4) 夏の朝 (Natsu no Asa)
5) 明日の景色 (Ashita no Keshiki)
6) I have a dream
7) believe
8) 光の行方 (Hikari no Yukue)
9) 夢の大地 (Yume no Daichi)
10) むすんでひらく (Musunde Hiraku)
~ Encore ~
1) Memory Love
2) 時を越える夜に (Toki wo Koeru Yoru)

Notes:
- Bolded = sung by Wakana
- The Nuovo Cinema Paradiso Theme is instrumental
- Jiyuu wo Motomete, sung by Ryu Masaki, is the Japanese version of Defying Gravity from Wicked
- Toki wo Koeru Yoru is a new song and the lyrics written by Wakana
(which was already mentioned here, but still)

Jupiter? Like the one by Hirahira Ayaka? That song's pretty difficult, and it was the only non-Kajiura song she sang (besides the song she wrote herself).

But you guys should be more excited that Kalafina songs were performed WITH AN ORCHESTRA. I would pay top dollar to have seen that, but between university and being broke means I can only buy live BDs when they come out.

Nothing stopped them from doing it while the group was still active. The fact that Wakana gets to have an orchestra means that there were money, and perhaps Kajiura didnt wanted it to happen.

Back