The K-pop Discussion Thread

Wow, that suicide note is really sad... him feeling like that for I assume many years is obviously no way to live. Though I don't really listen to Kpop, I saw people on Twitter talking about his death (inc. you sarasara) and wanted to express my condolences to you guys. Hopefully there's light at the end of this tunnel in that possibly South Korea as a society will start to provide more adequate mental health services. Hope you guys get through this ok, I know it's hard loosing someone that you've looked up to for so long :hug:

^Thank you, I really appreciate hearing that.
The worst part is that hes always been open about struggling with depression and his mental health, he wrote and composed all of his music and many of his song lyrics were about his depression (This one most notably, holy fuck I can't listen to this song anymore), yet no one ever expected in a million years anything like this to happen.

For so many years I've loved and admired him and it was my dream to see him live and it's still so hard to process what happened.
All the cute pictures and videos of him and SHINee that I laughed at and admired countless times, I will never be able to view the same way ever again. Same goes with both his and SHINee's music. The only thing I could handle listening to today was Taemin, but I don't think I'll be able to listen to Jonghyun’s music again for a long long time.
Ive never cried this much over anything before, it's such a tragedy that he felt so desperate and alone that this was his only choice.

this was apparently the other members reactions to the news and my chest hurts so much I feel so hollow and horrible.
Screenshot_20171218-152422.png

I don't know what to do with myself, everytime I check Twitter or Instagram I see more stuff of him and just start crying again. I need to try and get my mind off it somehow but I can't because nearly everything reminds me of him and I just feel so empty and exhausted right now. He meant the absolute world to me and the fact that he's gone and never coming back is just something I can't deal with right now.

I've been crying even more today than yesterday, if that's possible. Like now the initial shock is over and everything is REALLY starting to sink in and it just feels so terrible I don't want to deal with it anymore, I feel so empty

I'm really thankful for my friends like @ritardando and @KitsuneMiyu for helping me through this, but I tried talking to one of my other close friends that I've known since elementary school and this was her response. I understand where she's coming from but I'm hurting so much rn and I really wanted to be able to talk to her about it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171219-135157.jpg
    Screenshot_20171219-135157.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really thankful for my friends like @ritardando and @KitsuneMiyu for helping me through this, but I tried talking to one of my other close friends that I've known since elementary school and this was her response. I understand where she's coming from but I'm hurting so much rn and I really wanted to be able to talk to her about it

This is really dilemmatic. I really really do feel bad for you because you kind of no have no one to directly talk to. I'm very thankful for my sister, because even though she's not a shawol she still liked shinee and really appreciated Jonghyun as a human being. I've been talking a lot to her this past 2 days and it helps me a lot. My pain isn't as big as yours but even me couldn't stop thinking about Jonghyun and SHINee everytime I lie in my bed. I can only say that I really do feel your pain even though only a fraction of it.

I really understand why did your friend respond like that but even I can't help that her response actually could be a little bit gentler. Talking about mental health is hard, but you can always steer the conversation to a brighter side, like what I did with my sister. Even though we talked about his mental state, we ended our conversation talking about how wonderful Jonghyun was as a human. We talked about how he helped his fans and friends, and even though it's really bittersweet it actually helped both of us cope because at the end we actually remembered that Jonghyun is now happy and he made millions of soul happy on his brief time on this world. I don't want to sound so judgmental of your friend but "i'm not as big fan of him like you" isn't an excuse to not help a friend cope and idk but I think that even I can't be happy on Christmas knowing my friend is in a slump and not being happy like I do. People may be belittling on how our reactions were to Jonghyun passing but they don't know that to some people, Jonghyun and his music were literally the only things that help them went through their days.

We should be strong not only for ourselves and Jonghyun but to SHINee members and all of Jonghyun's idol friends that we know of. Please take care of yourself, talk to some people, and avoid negativity as much as you could. I looked your instastory and you really should take a walk and go from that toxic house. Even though maybe you're spending your break at your house, you can go to local library or mall or somewhere else to avoid the negativity. I wish I could be more coherent right now but once again I hope you'd get better.

Thank you Onew for staying so strong. All of SHINee are such amazing and inspirational people honestly, we don't deserve them. We've been worrying about them so much the past few days, yet Onew comes out with a beautiful and inspiring message that comforts us instead. Despite all he's been through these past few months, he still releases a post giving us nothing but encouragement and love. I love him, I love them all so so so much. I know Onew has been struggling with his own depression for a while now too, so I really hope he's able to listen to and follow his own advice and become a stronger person from this.

https://twitter.com/omggminho/status/944348369605890048

Guess I'll revive this thread lol

Suho’s new SM Station track is really goodd https://youtu.be/XHj0S8-hwQU

My favorite SM Station tracks are still both of Jonghyuns tracks (Inspiration and Your Voice) tho because duh..

Your Voice is SUCH a good song, Jonghyuns lower voice fits it so well too, and the female singers tone compliments his voice soo well. It totally sounds like a song he would compose, even though I'm pretty sure he didn't.

but like no one I know knows that this song exists (one of my hardcore blinger friends didnt even know about this song) bc SM never gave it a MV or anything (same with Inspiration) it's so dumb.

this isn't exactly a Kpop release but whatever

finally Victoria's going to release the 1st track from her upcoming solo album and i'm so ready for it. the first teaser picture of her solo album was uploaded on May 2017 lmao but Vic being super busy the release of her album kept on getting delayed. i know she's not the best singer technically but tbh i really liked her voice when she sings lower notes because imo despitebeing rather untrained (she was supposed to debut as an actress. she was scouted by SM and they said they're going to make her an actress and wasn't even trained intensively on vocal when f(x)'s debuting, so i kinda get why she's focusing on her acting career more) she's still an okay singer. even on f(x)'s earlier days her vocals was okay when she focused on singing (not so much when she's dancing but she improved a lot over the years). i love her so much and i love the fact that despite her hectic schedule and being one of the most famous celebrities in China she's still in good relation with her fellow members, despite them almost never really showing their interaction publicly. when Jonghyun passed away she cancelled all her schedule because she's known them since SHINee's debut and be there for her fellow f(x) members, again something that they never showed publicly but was actually said by their stylists. idk how long f(x) would last anymore but i'm glad i've come to know them. tbh the Kpop artists are all really hard worker and they should be appreciated more.

As I've written on song i'm listening to thread, i watched Music Bank for Suju, Twice, and CBX but ended up liking UNB's song the most.

Suju's new song is so underwhelming tbh, it doesn't really go anywhere and imo it's more suited to be sung by male-female duo or even more suited for KARD as a quartet. Twice's song is catchy as usual but they all sound so similar with each other... why do I feel that their songs' prechoruses almost all sound exactly the same lmao. CBX's song is good but it's also too... chill. Not the addictive kind of chill like SHINee's View or f(x)'s 4 Walls but it's just chill. After listening to it I completely forget about it. Nothing really captures my attention. Haven't listened to the full mini album too, maybe there'll be some songs I like there.

Maybe it's just me but both Suju's and CBX's song have this latin-chill vibe that is really popular nowadays and that's probably i'm not feeling it because I've had enough of people singing and covering Despacito and Havana. Not to mention they're never really my taste lol.

Gfriend just announced their comeback ard end Apr.

On most KPOP threads I see a lot of "Please please be like Fingertip" and I'm like, am I the only person who doesn't like Fingertip? :leaf:

Sure, its nice and refreshing, but Gfriend tends to do better when they are all "purely cute" like the earliest 2 Glass Bead and MGT, and while Summer Rain was "meh" Love Whisper was quite nice imo.

Gfriend just announced their comeback ard end Apr.

On most KPOP threads I see a lot of "Please please be like Fingertip" and I'm like, am I the only person who doesn't like Fingertip? :leaf:

Sure, its nice and refreshing, but Gfriend tends to do better when they are all "purely cute" like the earliest 2 Glass Bead and MGT, and while Summer Rain was "meh" Love Whisper was quite nice imo.

Agree on the point about Gfriend doing better when their concept is purely cute. Just like Twice they couldn't "get" other concept than cute. Tbh I'm never a big fan of "purely cute/innocent" concept though... like whenever a group does a cute concept I never really liked the songs, I mostly just thought that the songs or parts of them are catchy.

@ritardando
The CBX mini album is really good imo. I'm not huge on the latin influence music either so i wasn't really feeling SuJu's comeback but I'm in love with CBX's. I like Blooming Days a lot tho, its surprising to me u didn't like it as much lol. Maybe try giving it a few more listens? A lot of the songs on the mini album are really good tho, they give me real SHINee vibes lol

@ritardando
The CBX mini album is really good imo. I'm not huge on the latin influence music either so i wasn't really feeling SuJu's comeback but I'm in love with CBX's. I like Blooming Days a lot tho, its surprising to me u didn't like it as much lol. Maybe try giving it a few more listens? A lot of the songs on the mini album are really good tho, they give me real SHINee vibes lol

I'm okay with it but the start of the chorus "Can I be your boyfriend Can I" had me cringe so hard lol I think that's partly the reason why I don't really feel Blooming Days. To me that's the only memorable part of the song and it's not the good kind of memorable :XD:

VIXX's Scentist has to be the best comeback song I've listened to so far this year. It's THAT good.

Back