Vocal Discussion of Yuki's Singers

I learned a lot from you Kawohni, especially about vocal ranges. Thank you. ^_^

I've just realized that Kajiura is the one who's responsible for making Wakana's voice altered.

Wakana: For this album I was again taught many things by Kajiura-san. Things like when the song was put up ‘This song is for the sake of Kalafina’s step-up’ and ‘You must sing in a different voice than the ones you have been using up until now’

Re:

tabete.mio said:
Its possible that her new voice is intended to expand her "happy voice" which we know is not really happy but "less tragic/dramatic". Maybe wakana got tired of all those people teasing her that her voice is miserable pitiful wretched disastrous tragic sounding. :ohoho:

During the recording session of "Yane Mukou ni"
Yuki: Wakana. Your voice is not happy enough. Its making the song sound sad. :desksweat:

Wakana: :uh..: But...

Keiko: Yeah! your voice is kinda 悲惨(miserable) :XD:

Yuki and Hikaru: :white: :white:

Wakana: :bloodlust: 悲惨...?

Keiko: hmmm :confu: OH! I mean 悲劇(tragic). My mistake :ohoho:

Wakana: OK THATS IT!! :stupidtable: YOU WANT A HAPPY VOICE, I'LL GIVE YOU A HAPPY VOICE! :anger:

Keiko, Hikaru, and Yuki: :omg: :omg: :omg:

And thus, Wakana's new voice is created

Maybe that's actually what happened :XD:

^
It's possible :XD: but that interview came from their recording for After Eden, which is before 'Yane no Mukou ni' :XD:

I can definitely see why Kajiura would want Wakana to change her singing technique. C'mon Wakana, now you just need to master the new one!!

Was it because of...?

1) too sad

2) Not healthy on her throat?

3) The other 2 are getting shadowed?

Does anyone happen to know if some crazy person has compiled the vocal range for each Kalafina vocalist based on the recordings? Because I feel like doing this... I am procrastinating like hell (uni assignments >_<), and feel like listening to every Kalafina song and recording the highest note and lowest note for each song, and thus at the end getting the vocal range of each vocalist. I've already started on Seventh Heaven and I've got this so far:

edit: I am going to update this

Overture (Dubious because of chorus and reverb convoluting their voices)
Wakana lowest note: D#4; Wakana highest note: A#4
Keiko lowest note: A3; Keiko highest note: D4

Oblivious
Wakana lowest note: E4; Wakana high: B4; Wakana high incl. falsetto: F#5
Keiko low: A3; Keiko high: B4;

Love Come Down (It was hard to analyze this. Had to use a Center Channel Extractor on Adobe Audition to filter out the main voice so I could hear the harmonies better)
Wakana low: E4; Wakana high: D5
Keiko low: F#3 (WTF has she ever sung lower than this?); Keiko high: E4
Hikaru low: C#4; Hikaru high: D5

夏の林檎 / Natsu no Ringo
Wakana low: C#4; Wakana high: D5
Keiko low: A3; Keiko high: A4
Hikaru low: D4; Hikaru high: A4

Fairytale
Wakana low: A#3; Wakana high: C#5 (chorus too dubious to record falsetto notes *shakes fist at Yuriko lol*)
Keiko low: G3; Keiko high: A#4

ARIA
Wakana low: C#4; Wakana high: C5; Wakana incl. falsetto: D#5
Keiko low: A3; Keiko high: A#4
Hikaru low: C4; Hikaru high: C#5; Hikaru high incl. falsetto: D#5

また風が強くなった / Mata Kaze ga Tsuyoku Natta
Hikaru low: A#3; Hikaru high: D#5
Keiko low: F3; Keiko high: G4
I have no idea who is singing the main high harmony in the verses. Wakana can do it live but I don't know if she's singing it here, although it does sound like her. The Kajiuaran part doesn't sound like Wakana to me... so no Wakana?

傷跡 / Kizuato
Wakana low: G3 (lol contralto range); Wakana high: D5;
Keiko low: G#3; Wakana high: A#4;

Serenato
Wakana low: D4; Wakana high: D5
Keiko low: A3; Keiko high: G4
KINDA sounds like Hikaru doing the high harmony in the chorus if you attempt to remove Wakana's vocals with software (it sounds like her vibrato) but could be Yuriko.

音楽 / Ongaku
Wakana low: F#4; Wakana high: D5; Wakana high incl. fals: F#5
Keiko low: A3; Keiko high: A4;
Hikaru low: D4; Hikaru high: B4;

明日の景色 / Ashita no Keshiki **Please see this post
Wakana low: A#3; Wakana high: D5;
Keiko low: A#3(??? see this post); Keiko high: A4
Hikaru low: A#3; Hikaru high: A#4;

sprinter
Wakana low: F4; Wakana high: D5;
Keiko low: A#3; Keiko high: F#3; Keiko high incl. falsetto: C#5 (blends in a lot. listen to Sprinter 2010 live to hear her sing it loud);
Hikaru low: G3; Hikaru high: A#4;
Maya low: A#3; Maya high: C#5; Maya high incl. falsetto: E5;

君が光に変えて行く
Wakana low: C4; Wakana high: C#5; Wakana high incl. falsetto: E5;
Keiko low: G#3; Keiko high: F#4; Keiko high incl. fals: G#4

So based on this very very very very VERY small amount of data
1. Wakana range: 24 semitones (G3 - F#5)
2 (tied). Hikaru range: 21 semitones (G3 - D#5)
2 (tied). Keiko range: 21 semitones (F3 - C#5)
4. Maya range: 19 semitones (A#3 - E5)
^^Includes Head Voice and Falsetto^^
- Wakana's highest note: F#5 in "oblivious" and 音楽 (falsetto incl.); D5 in love come down, 夏の林檎, 傷跡, serenato, 音楽, sprinter, 明日の景色 (non-falsetto)
- Keiko's highest note: C#5 in sprinter (falsetto incl.); B4 in oblivious (non-falsetto);
- Hikaru's highest note: D#5 in また風が強くなった (amazeballs non-falsetto), D#5 in ARIA (falsetto)
- Wakana's lowest note: G3 in 傷跡
- Keiko's lowest note: F3 in また風が強くなった
- Hikaru's lowest note: G3 in sprinter
~~~~~~~~~~
- Highest note: F#5 by Wakana (oblivious, Ongaku)
- Highest non-falsetto note: D#5 by Hikaru (Mata Kaze ga Tsuyoku Natta)
- Lowest note: F3 by Keiko (Mata Kaze ga Tsuyoku Natta)
~~~~~~~~~~
Low note ranking
1. Keiko - F3
2(tied). Hikaru - G3
2(tied). Wakana - G3
4. Maya - A#3
~~~~~~~~~~
High note (incl. falsetto) ranking
1. Wakana - F#5
2. Maya - E5
3. Hikaru - D#5
4. Keiko - C#5
~~~~~~~~~~
Ranges when NOT considering falsetto
1. Hikaru - 21 semitones (G3 - D#5) Mezzo soprano slightly crossing over into Contralto at lower extremity
2. Wakana - 20 (G3 - D5) Mezzo soprano slightly crossing over into Contralto at lower extremity
3. Keiko - 19 (F3 - B4) Contralto
4. Maya - 16 (A#3 - C#5) Mezzo soprano
True Number 1 Kalafina singer: Yuriko Kaida - 10000 semitones Soprano

I was also hoping someone else has already done this (I can dream right?) because I'm not that musically knowledgeable, thus wouldn't even be close to the most credible source you could get for this. It's also pretty much impossible even for an expert to try and get perfectly accurate results because sometimes it's hard to even hear who is singing what... like in "love come down" I could hear an F5, but it could've been Yuriko rather than Wakana LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wakana's highest note: F#5 in "oblivious" (falsetto incl.);

Where? Actually, if you mean the high harmonization during the refrain I was never sure if it was Wakana doing the falsetto... Or did you mean the We go farther in the destiny.

Fairytale
Wakana low: A#3; Wakana high: C#5 (chorus too dubious to record falsetto notes *shakes fist at Yuriko lol*)
Keiko low: G3; Keiko high: A#4

Now here I am pretty damn sure it's Hikaru.

Edit: Answered below.

^Oh snap, don't tell me that's Hanae doing the "oh oh ohs"?

I fail as a Kalafina fan if I can't even get details of their debut single right. Guess I'm just too used to Wakana actually singing that part live.

edit: Wait, no, she actually hits that note. It's during "we go **further** in the destiny",

Now here I am pretty damn sure it's Hikaru.

I mean the Kajiuaran chorus parts, like the beginning, and especially this part

[Aditore sirietore

santa mamia adisito

amita more samita dore

sito mari]

In which case it could be all of Yuki's vocalists combined as far as i'm concerned lmfao

Ah there, I'd say the highest harmonization there is Yuriko, too, yea. Sorry for the confusion.

Wow, thanks so much for doing this - it's fascinating stuff :goodjob: :chuu: Would be stoked if you could continue this with their other albums (and FJ even) if you have time, of course :waii:

Just as a reference though, for the musically-challenged me, what number is middle-C (C4? :confu: ) I play piano so I know how to read music and stuff, but I'm not familiar with the numbering here :desksweat: :punched: :XD:

(Also is it just me, or are Wakana and Hikaru's non-falsetto ranges not that different? O.o Weird, because Wakana sounds a lot more higher-pitched than Hikaru to me XD)

Middle C is C4. I think based on this data Wakana's and Hikaru's non-falsetto rangers are not that different because the songs mentioned here don't require Wakana to sing higher with her non-falsetto voice compared to their Consolation songs, for example. About Wakana sounds a lot more higher pitched than Hikaru, I think that's because they have different timbre. I could be wrong, tho.

Wow, thanks so much for doing this - it's fascinating stuff

Oh no problem! I thought I was the only person who would even care this much about this stuff but I posted it just in case :wash: I'm going to do the other albums after I finish SH.

(Also is it just me, or are Wakana and Hikaru's non-falsetto ranges not that different? O.o Weird, because Wakana sounds a lot more higher-pitched than Hikaru to me XD)

So far, Hikaru hits a higher note than Wakana when not considering their falsettos :XD:Although I know for sure than Wakana hits the same note non-falsetto in "storia"..

Time to do my favourite song serenato :hearts:

I'm a little confused. I thought falsetto was for men only, and was used to reach notes that women could reach naturally, or easier.

Back